Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#795120 21/10/21 01:34 PM
ldo58 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Windows 11 is about to be pushed out and I didn't find info specific to BG3 compatibility. (Although it is quite possible I didn't look hard enough)

I installed a windows 11 home edition on a virtual machine a while ago and lately also installed steam and BG3 on it.
BG3 crashes on startup with a xC0000409 exception in ucrtbase.dll.
I'm no windows expert but this dll is the C++ runtime library. So this looks like an incompatibility between the build of the bg3 executable and the CRTL that is shipped with windows 11.

So, what is the official take on it ? Does Larian advice to not upgrade to 11 when it arrives in the queue for the PC ?

ldo58 #795131 21/10/21 02:11 PM
veteran
veteran
General advice seems to be not to update to Windows11 for some months. Little to nothing to gain, and potentially a lot to loose I for one keep my TPM off, until some patches come out, and AMD processors are properly supported - am not going to “update”to loose 15% of my CPU performance, no thank you.

EDIT: AMD issue seems to be fixed, after quick googling. Still will wait for further fixes anyway smile

Last edited by Wormerine; 21/10/21 02:27 PM.
ldo58 #795141 21/10/21 02:49 PM
ldo58 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
True, but many new desk/laptops that you buy are going to come with win11 on it. So, it would be good to know the status.
I kind of expected some problems because of the virtual machine environment , but a c runtime library crash looks to be an operating system problem.

ldo58 #795145 21/10/21 03:13 PM
F
stranger
stranger
F
I just bought a new computer with windows 11. Played for about an hour no issues at all. I did delete my saved games and just started over. I didnt want to chance anything even though they were patch 6 games.

ldo58 #795218 21/10/21 07:53 PM
D
D
BG3 works flawlessly on my Windows 11. Just installed the 22000.282 insider update to avoid performance drops on Ryzen CPUs.

ldo58 #797569 29/10/21 10:16 PM
addict
addict
I don't have any issues with my Windows 11 and it runs games pretty well including Baldur's Gate 3. Windows 11 was made to run video games better and I have not encountered any issues. Microsoft does release updates for Windows found under settings, make sure you update your computer regularly.

ldo58 #797582 30/10/21 12:28 AM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Same. Installed Windows 11 a few days ago and haven't had any problems with this or any other game

ldo58 #842608 27/01/23 02:41 PM
P
stranger
stranger
P
I don't think installing new versions of windows, without any research it's a good idea. Firstly, it can damage your device. Secondly, it may not be the official version, and you can get disappointed. I think you should check the cheap windows keys forums on platforms like Reddit. They have all the necessary information there. Moreover, it's a free platform where anyone can comment and express their opinion. In this way, you make sure there isn't any paid add or hidden message back there which is rare in our days.

Last edited by paulsimpson; 29/01/23 05:29 PM.
ldo58 #842720 28/01/23 10:23 AM
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by ldo58
True, but many new desk/laptops that you buy are going to come with win11 on it. So, it would be good to know the status.
I kind of expected some problems because of the virtual machine environment , but a c runtime library crash looks to be an operating system problem.
Yes and when I got my gaming laptop in year 2022 officially it had Windows 11, but when gaming laptop started it was Windows 10 and then it suggested multiple time I upgrade to Windows 11, but have always declined to upgrade to Windows 11. Now my gaming laptop was not the newest out there when bought, but sometimes it could give an option do you want to upgrade to Windows 11.

Now what comes to Windows updates otherwise and to upgrade antivirus software and have firewall and have updated VPN if you need it that you should do for security. Well and drivers for gaming functionality and performance.

Now many report BG3 functions well with Windows 11 and if it does then be happy. However I sometimes play retro games and I am not sure Windows 11 work well with older games.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/01/23 10:30 AM.
ldo58 #842725 28/01/23 11:04 AM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I’m not sure why this year+ old thread has been necro-ed, given that the post that brought it back to life didn’t ask any new questions.

However, if you’re interested in an update, then I have Windows 11 on my gaming laptop, and I did have problems with Solasta, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and BG3 (the latter in DX11 mode only), all of which dropped to ridiculously low frame rates. I tracked this down to the Windows 11 Game DVR setting, which as I don’t care about game recording I could just turn off and that solved the issues. There has been a Windows update since that may have fixed the underlying problem, but I’ve not got round to turning the setting back on and seeing whether it’s now okay.

I haven’t had any problems with other games, including older ones, though haven’t played a huge variety of games in the past couple of years.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
ldo58 #842732 28/01/23 12:02 PM
veteran
veteran
I have been gaming on win11 for a while now, with no noticeable issues.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
I’m not sure why this year+ old thread has been necro-ed, given that the post that brought it back to life didn’t ask any new questions.

However, if you’re interested in an update, then I have Windows 11 on my gaming laptop, and I did have problems with Solasta, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and BG3 (the latter in DX11 mode only), all of which dropped to ridiculously low frame rates. I tracked this down to the Windows 11 Game DVR setting, which as I don’t care about game recording I could just turn off and that solved the issues. There has been a Windows update since that may have fixed the underlying problem, but I’ve not got round to turning the setting back on and seeing whether it’s now okay.

I haven’t had any problems with other games, including older ones, though haven’t played a huge variety of games in the past couple of years.

Companies and I certainly know still keep Windows 10 in office environments and not because they could not afford Windows 11.

Well and when I said retro games that I can also play example Unreal Tournament 2004 or even older. Example gog.com sell lots of old games. I do not play so old games you need some kind of emulator they run under Windows 11.

Now I am fully aware that Windows 11 practically works very well with most games. My point being I consider Windows 10 still good. I am not saying using Windows 11 is wrong, but on the same hand there are reasons why the big companies do not yet switch to Windows 11 and certainly not because Windows 11 is to expensive.

Before someone get nervous companies do not switch to Windows 11 I do think it has to with security and I do think Windows 11 can be secure specially if you combine it with 3rd party firewall and antivirus software and other security. Companies can use huge amount of special software that many home users never use. It is not because it does not work... but does it work as stable as with Windows 10? Companies can of course test it before they roll with Windows 11. Well and IT support gets more workload if every computer is switched to Windows 11 at least in the beginning.

Here is the golden question. If Windows 11 if so excellent why the huge amount of companies still prefer Windows 11? Typically it can be we wait it becomes more mature well I would not call Windows 11 very young anymore.

and

You have yet to convince me why I should upgrade to Windows 11.

Windows 11 looks better, but performance is less then Windows 10? I do not care about Windows 11 looks better. I care about performance and stability with games and please no stuttering in some games due to Windows 11. Finally I am not saying Windows 11 is bad. If you use Windows 11 and you are happy good for you and continue to use it.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/01/23 06:35 PM.
ldo58 #842750 28/01/23 04:55 PM
veteran
veteran
lose
/loÍžoz/
be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"

loose
/loÍžos/

not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
"a loose tooth"

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Blackheifer
Blackheifer #842751 28/01/23 06:33 PM
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
lose
/loÍžoz/
"I've lost my appetite"

loose
/loÍžos/

"a loose tooth"

I fail to understand what you mean with this post?

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/01/23 06:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
General advice seems to be not to update to Windows11 for some months. Little to nothing to gain, and potentially a lot to loose I for one keep my TPM off, until some patches come out, and AMD processors are properly supported - am not going to “update”to loose 15% of my CPU performance, no thank you.

EDIT: AMD issue seems to be fixed, after quick googling. Still will wait for further fixes anyway smile
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
lose
/loÍžoz/
"I've lost my appetite"

loose
/loÍžos/

"a loose tooth"

I fail to understand what you mean with this post?

Blackheifer
ldo58 #842762 28/01/23 07:19 PM
addict
addict
@Blackheifer : Did you miss the part where it was written 15 months ago (and that no one asked)?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
@Blackheifer : Did you miss the part where it was written 15 months ago (and that no one asked)?

Nobody asks to check spelling or not - they just don’t get jobs and wonder why, not realizing it’s because of stuff like this.

Why is 15 months ago relevant?

Lose/loose is the most common spelling mistake of the “internet educated” - or tell me you don’t read books without telling me you never read a book.

I will never stop correcting people on it.

Blackheifer
Blackheifer #842776 28/01/23 10:47 PM
T
Banned
Banned
T

Nobody asks to check spelling or not - they just don’t get jobs and wonder why, not realizing it’s because of stuff like this.

Lose/loose is the most common spelling mistake of the “internet educated” - or tell me you don’t read books without telling me you never read a book.

Please you can wait to correct my posts at least 24 hours. I admit (not always full time work etc.) that I am addict posting and sometimes I get carried away with long posts. I have noticed I do spelling mistakes (due to tired and then fast writing and lazy to correct immediately), but then maybe within 24 hours correct them. My mother tongue is not English that said if I watch a movie in cinema in English I usually do not bother to read the subtitles. Of course very fast politics talk can get a bit complicated, not my field of expertise.

Actually one test to challenge if you are true expert in English the only time I felt my language skills were challenged in a TV series was in TV series The West Wing. Most of it clear, but rarely sometimes hardcore politics talk or talk within White House and then I do prefer subtitles. If felt like some politicians in West Wing try to talk so fast to show they are smart and confuse some listeners rarely at least. That is the only TV series with English language I have wanted subtitles to read and even then rarely.

You would lose your nerve with one Czech Republic forum member try to correct him (I will not mention who) in these forums. He always 100% write "i am" with small i when it should be like I am. Example "i think that". That is the tip of iceberg of his spelling mistakes.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/01/23 11:25 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Terminator2020

Please you can wait to correct my posts at least 24 hours. I admit (not always full time work etc.) that I am addict posting and sometimes I get carried away with long posts. I have noticed I do spelling mistakes (due to tired and then fast writing and lazy to correct immediately), but then maybe within 24 hours correct them. My mother tongue is not English that said if I watch a movie in cinema in English I usually do not bother to read the subtitles. Of course very fast politics talk can get a bit complicated, not my field of expertise.

Actually one test to challenge if you are true expert in English the only time I felt my language skills were challenged in a TV series was in TV series The West Wing. Most of it clear, but rarely sometimes hardcore politics talk or talk within White House and then I do prefer subtitles. If felt like some politicians in West Wing try to talk so fast to show they are smart and confuse some listeners rarely at least. That is the only TV series with English language I have wanted subtitles to read and even then rarely.

You would lose your nerve with one Czech Republic forum member try to correct him (I will not mention who) in these forums. He always 100% write "i am" with small i when it should be like I am. Example "i think that". That is the tip of iceberg of his spelling mistakes.

Oh well, I don't think I would correct anyone for whom English was not a first language. Terribly rude. I mean my Czech isn't better than your English. Almost all non-english speakers give themselves away pretty quickly when they write.

Having said that I don't get this need to be all that delicate on a forum where I have heard people call the forum owners all manner of nasty shit and ACCUSE them of intentionally trying to ruin this game. I was just direct "hey, this is wrong" but not "you are evil incarnate and your soul purpose is to ruin the English language and western civilization by extension!"

So, ya know, maybe slow your roll there @MelivySilverRoot :P

Blackheifer
Blackheifer #842780 29/01/23 12:22 AM
addict
addict
@Blackheifer Keep masking this as being good intended all you want, but this :
is utter snobbism. So, maybe... "ya know", do what you said in another thread...and "touch grass" 🙂?

But hey, call that however you want, you're free to do so ":p"

Anyway, I won't lose anymore time on this. My bad, given your recent posts, this is clearly a waste of my time and just fuel to the fire.

Much love,
Melivy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard