Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23
old hand
old hand
I mean. If a GM were to assemble a handout of important setting knowledge for the player to read, then it's expected that the player read that out of game. That's entirely true.

But this is still because it is the GM's responsibility to present the setting to players who is not familiar with it, whether through hand outs or descriptions or both. But BG3 does not have handouts. It has only what it presents in-game. Much like how movies need to establish their setting through their own narrative and can't rely on sources outside of themself if they want to tell a cohesive story, BG3 also have to rely on the game itself to convey what it wants conveyed.

Last edited by Dexai; 31/10/21 04:45 PM.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
Originally Posted by robertthebard
You're right, it's not. It's about how a reaction that some players will find perfectly logical being in a dialog, where the OP is acting like it's the only option available. As I said, if they don't have knowledge for a choice to make sense, they should choose a different option. There is information provided that a player can get before they ever have the discussion, that should be enough to let them know if that's appropriate or not. If it's given any other way that's not the narrator spoon feeding it, it won't be adequate, because if they couldn't read the book, and draw an inference of "Good" or "Bad", they won't understand something else they have to read, even if a hyperlink is added to "Shar" in the dialog. It's going to be another case of "Why should I have to have any baseline knowledge, that's the DM's job"...

The only option that would really make sense for someone who doesn't know about Shar is, "I don't even know who Shar is" maybe with an option to ask "What's so bad about her?".
However, those options don't exist.

Now, if Larian decides that it doesn't make sense for a character to not know about Shar, and that it's out of character for Shadowheart to preach about her, that's fine, but there should be a good way for the player to learn more without having to look through every bookshelf and book pile hoping to find the book they need (if I'm correct, none of the books in the ruins are about Selune and Shar, and instead, there's only books about a Cleric of Shar).
Not only that, but most players likely won't even know that they should find a book before getting Shadowheart to say that she follows Shar.

Whether the Narrator mentions why Shar isn't liked, or a link in the dialogue explains, the game should try to get players up to speed before the event with Shadowheart.

this would help at lot. Instead, you can tell that we're supposed to know who Shar is from the "that's okay, i don't judge people on their religions" line. Does anyone remember what all the options for dialogue are from the player character when SH reveals her secret? I'd be interested to see if most of them seem to have insider knowledge on who Shar is or not.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
the "that's okay, i don't judge people on their religions" line.

Assuming the PC is aware of that specific god, this must be the "non-Good" response.

this would help at lot. Instead, you can tell that we're supposed to know who Shar is from the "that's okay, i don't judge people on their religions" line. Does anyone remember what all the options for dialogue are from the player character when SH reveals her secret? I'd be interested to see if most of them seem to have insider knowledge on who Shar is or not.

The options all seem to imply that the player's character knows about Shar, since they would be overreactions otherwise.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 31/10/21 04:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation

The options all seem to imply that the player's character knows about Shar, since they would be overreactions otherwise.

yea, there's no doubt with that. Every one of them assume knowledge of Shar. Side note, i had to laugh when SH says "this type of headpiece is worn by my brothers and sisters". Kind of blows the whole "it's just a circle" out of the water lol

veteran
veteran
NARRATOR: You've freed her from the pod, and now you notice that she wears onyx jewelry. There are also black circles on the shoulders of her armor. This can only mean one thing. She is a cleric of evil incarnate, a follower of Shar, the terrible goddess who is bent on destroying all things throughout the multiverse. This person is worse than the mind flayers who abducted you.

1. [Attack]
2. I also think all things should be destroyed. Hi, I'm Tav.

There you go, Larian, fixed it for you. It's sure to be a great game now.

veteran
veteran
Side note, i had to laugh when SH says "this type of headpiece is worn by my brothers and sisters". Kind of blows the whole "it's just a circle" out of the water lol

No one disputed that she wore it in honor of Shar. The argument was that the rest of the world wouldn't know that, and further, that there's plausible deniability in the fact that everyone wears jewelry, and black circles are entirely common in decoration.

It's like people don't even understand the point they're trying to laugh at. Weird.

Last edited by JandK; 31/10/21 05:36 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JandK
NARRATOR: You've freed her from the pod, and now you notice that she wears onyx jewelry. There are also black circles on the shoulders of her armor. This can only mean one thing. She is a cleric of evil incarnate, a follower of Shar, the terrible goddess who is bent on destroying all things throughout the multiverse. This person is worse than the mind flayers who abducted you.

1. [Attack]

Yeah, sure. The only way to do anything is in the worst way possible. Tell me, did you take a class in arguing in bad faith or does it just come naturally to you?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Banned
Banned
And the troll is back. I'd advise everyone, on both sides of this arguments, to simply not engage him. Truth be told i'm not sure how much is left to discuss, but i'd like to think that most of us are here would rather not read another 5 pages of arguing about onyx, non-sense and what have you.

veteran
veteran
Troll? Ah, that's what those two posts i can't see are smile Agreed about not engaging posters that don't seem to be interested in good faith discussions.

veteran
veteran
Not agreeing with you and offering feedback to Larian that is contrary to your feedback does not make a person a troll.

My position is sound. It makes sense. I've brought up points that no one has even tried to refute. Like the way onyx is used to relieve the pain of childbirth. Like the way onyx is on numerous treasure charts. Heck, like the way onyx is a gemstone treasure that your characters pick up several times throughout BG3.

The only thing I'm hearing in return is: it's obvious. No real, tangible arguments. Just, it's obvious. And oddly enough, everyone saying that is saying it in hindsight. I'd love to see one person, just one, who predicted it *before* they knew she was a cleric of Shar.

More than one person in this thread has agreed with me.

In other words, my position is valid. My opinion is valid. I purchased the game also (more than once, I might add), which makes my feedback just as valid as anyone else's.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by JandK

1. [Attack]

Yeah, sure. The only way to do anything is in the worst way possible. Tell me, did you take a class in arguing in bad faith or does it just come naturally to you?

I'm listening. I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. But I don't.

What you call the worst way possible... is my response to what I consider to be some of the worst ideas I've heard. And I mean that in all good faith, 100%. I truly think the suggestions I've heard so far have been really bad, and I'm hoping Larian doesn't go down that road. It's like a lot of people here are big on rigid archetypes and world-building, but fall flat when it comes to fundamental storytelling.

I mean, these are games I would never want to play in.

I love the game that Larian has designed thus far. We have a reason to travel with Shadowheart, and we're learning more about Shar as we go along. Doing it this way will allow us to organically develop our opinions about the goddess without coming into the game with a bunch of preset conclusions.

Last edited by JandK; 31/10/21 07:45 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
As one new to forgotten realms, I actually found the bg3 resources to be pretty useful. Quick reads, tells you what you need to know to understand the major players (including Shar), and keeps you from having to digest 50 tears of convoluted lore. Perfect for newbs like me.

BG3 Lore Page

Don’t get me wrong…I absolutely devour fantasy/sci-fi lore in other settings. GOT, Simarillion, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Dune, Star Trek, etc. But Forgotten Realms, much like the Simpsons, just passed me by, and is too damned big and scattered to catch all the way up on. Thus, I am only interested in what I need to know to get a good game experience. This wiki is sufficient (in addition to things I learn in the forums).

Having said that, starting the game cold with zero lore background—- I took my cue to respond to Shadowheart from 1) Gale, who seemed to think it was cute, and 2) the book about the Lady of Loss I found. These two in game cues led me to see Shar worshippers as emo wiccans that cry alot, do sneaky stuff, and dislike Selune. Note…for some reason in game, I did not link Dark Justicars and the blighted village to Shar worshippers. Might have skimmed a book too quickly something. But I somehow mussed that link my first playthru, and did not get that link until after I had my Shadowheart reveal convo.

Now…my question is this. Is it poor in game writing that made me come to this initial conclusion? Is Gale’s reaction, a literal chosen of Mystra, appropriate for Shadowheart’s reveal? I am curious what u guys think. Now that I know more about Shar, his reaction surprises me and seems a bit off the mark. Of course, it could just be his cool and calm demeanor too. Maybe other origin chars have stronger responses?

In any event…why have Religion be a skill if we rarely have a skill check for it? The Shar convo seems a good time for a Reigion check to come up (or a history one). As it did in druid grove reading those murals, etc. That would be an efficient and easy to implement solution for newbs imho.

Last edited by timebean; 31/10/21 07:30 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by timebean
thoughtful post

You make a good point. In particular, it's interesting to see that religion checks are definitely in-game as i've had numerous times where my main character or one of my party noticed something and talk about it, and yet with our own party, everyone seems to suddenly be stupid and checks don't seem to matter. There's a disconnect for me between the party interactions and the world building.

I know we're all just repeating what has been said a hundred times at this point, but a simple religion check to whether or not we notice anything odd about Shadowheart and hell, if the devs want to continue to make her reveal a big part of earning her trust, she could deny it and give some support to our "it's just a circle!!!" friends on the forums. That said, if she did that and then we found out that she was a follower of Shar, it would make her seem really childish and petty.

I still think GM4him had a good idea, hide the circles/head piece, have a simple line of "Shar has a reputation for being evil because of blah blah blah" when told she's a follower of Shar, and that would solve all of the oddness with the situation. If there are players who don't care about the lore and just want the sexy sexy party, that's fine, they can still just ignore it anyways. It gives the lore fans a better connection to the world and party members.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Innateagle
And the troll is back. I'd advise everyone, on both sides of this arguments, to simply not engage him.

Hopefully they are paid; it would be unfortunate if they were doggedly defending mistakes for free.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai
I'd be down for that, if one of the responses didn't say "I don't care".

Well I'm sorry to have to cut out a line again but I'm going to need you to explain why that option changes anything. That's not the player saying "I don't care" or an option for players who do not care about the lore. That's the character saying "I don't care". In the scenario of the OP, it doesn't change a single thing because OP still doesn't have the understanding to know whether his character cares about it or not. Choosing the "I don't care" option is just an as uninformed choice at that point as choosing any of the other options because they're all dependant on the same context -- knowing about Shar -- and that context has not been given to you.

And no, narration is not going to be considered worse than the status quo, and that thread existing (that despite it's name is not about the removal of the narrator but bringing back the ability to silence the narrator's voice) isn't an argument against the lack of set up being provided for this scene. I'm not even sure why you bothered to bring that thread up, do you think everyone on the internet except you is a single person? I'm not against narration -- in fact I consider the feature of a narrator to be one of the main pros of modern games like BG3 and the Pathfinder games over, say, the old BG games specifically because it enables a greater ability to deliver information and contextual clues to the player.

And again, the information existing in some book or other somewhere within the game is not enough setup for this scene. Even a player that reads every books they pick up might overlook those few, and this isn't some random fact about the setting that you don't need to know -- this is central to Shadowheart's plot, this scene is presented as a big act one moment, in fact the scene is, very much in contrast to how easily said book could be overlooked, decidedly hard to miss out on -- there are dozen of paths set up to lead to that reveal. And in order for the player to be able to react to that reveal, they need knowledge of who Shar is. Therefore, it is to me obvious that the establishment of who Shar is should be just as hard to miss out on as that scene itself -- the context of a story should be delivered inside that story's narrative and not be dependant on the player having happened to have opened an ingame book or not (especially a book in a sidequest location!). It's just storytelling 101 to me -- that moment is presented as far too momentous for what we have now to be adequate.

Compare for example with how well the game establishes the Mindflayers and the tadpole as evil. First you have the intro cinematic with the tadpoling and the abducting of people and the obvious evilousity of the design of it all, then you have the ship you start the actual game on and all the obvious evilousities on it establishing the transformations and also the mind control and, then you have all the other characters from party members to NPCs going on about it and being ready to kill you over it, and so on. The game really, really wants to make sure that you understand this. And of course, this is the central plot of the game. It deserves more set up than the central element to a single companion's plot, I'm not saying anything else. But the lack of establishing who Shar is very similar to if we had gotten no establishment as Mindflayers and tadpoles as being bad, and then were expected by the game to somehow already have this information in a later scene. And "but there is a book about that ingame" wouldn't have satisfied me then either because the game has to actively provide you with what it wants you to know. And it absolutely does expect you to already know who Shar is, that's why the "narrative dissonance" that the OP is describing comes to the forefront in that scene.

That's the point. Now maybe my perception is colored, because while I'm not a lore hound, I do understand that a cleric of an evil Goddess could be bad news. However, "I'm a cleric of Shar, the Goddess of Darkness and Loss, she's Neutral Evil, and has Death and Trickery as her Domains" would be worse than what we have.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Expecting players in a TT session, what was postulated, and responded to, shouldn't be controversial. That's why there are resources, published by TSR, WotC and now Hasbro, since the beginning of DnD, aimed specifically at players, including, but not limited to, the Player's Handbook. IF these resources had been aimed specifically at DMs, you'd have a point. They're not. There are materials aimed exclusively at DMs, and materials for everyone else, including DMs. I'm not sure what's so controversial about expecting players to read some of these materials, or all of them in cases of people that want to consider themselves lore hounds. Again, they are provided for exactly that purpose. It's not like they spent all the money that went into producing them for something to do between versions.
This is still just your opinion of how you want your games to be played and what the purpose of those books are.

The PHB doesn't go into much detail about Shar. There are all of two lines about her:
Originally Posted by PHB
"the [monastic] order of the Dark Moon is made up of monks dedicated to Shar (goddess of loss)" and "Shar, goddess of darkness and loss | NE, Death, Trickery | Black disk encircled with a border"
Aside from the lack of information, particularly about lore & history regarding Shar, it's unreasonable to expect all players in all games to completely memorize every single line in the PHB. It's even more unreasonable to expect players to have read and memorized every single D&D book on the off chance lore topic X is relevant to the game.

If you DM a game, it's ~fine for you to assign specific books as homework for your players to read, but it's wrong to generalize your preferred DM & gaming style to everyone and treat it like the only correct way to play.

Yet that's exactly what's being asked for here, except that it's someone else's preferred style. So you've just escaped from a Mindflayer ship, you have a tadpole that's going to turn you into one, and you find out that a party member worships an evil Goddess, with Death and Trickery domains, using just the information from the PHB, what is your reaction? You see, that's the basic information that a player should have going into a campaign, and is exactly why that book was printed.

As it applies to this topic, however, if one is truly interested in the lore, one reads the lore books that are scattered about the maps. In games with a codex, it's assumed that the character actually does this, as it's added to the codex, and the player can read it at their leisure, aka Player's Handbook. However, that codex is useless, unless the player actually uses it. The same is true for the lore books, but at what point is a player that's new to an IP expected to do some basic "homework"? I prefer the term "footwork" here, because it's about exploring, and finding stuff. Since, in a new IP, it behooves one to at least give the books a cursory read, especially if they're concerned about lore. If you think it's bad now, what if Jaheira shows up, or Minsc and Boo? There's two games worth of explanation that is going to be required, since someone coming in new to BG 3 won't have a clue about what came before. There's a lot that's going to have to be "taken on faith" there, or it's going to take a long time to get "caught up". I would not suggest that players need to play those games, but I will also not be insisting that Larian provide a 10,000 foot overview. I'm sure there'd be some background dialog going on, some of it may even be tied to how the Act(s) before their introduction is handled, Jahiera may not be very happy if you sided with the Shadow Druids, for example, or the Goblins. Will "well duh, she's a druid" be insufficient? Being an evil Goddess is, according to this thread.

veteran
veteran
Am I missing something? Who's asking for a dissertation on Shar?

From what I'm seeing, all anyone's asking for on this thread is a simple dice roll and a brief explanation of who she is. At some point prior to Shadowheart's reveal, when you encounter something related to Shar for the first time, a Religion roll is made. If you succeed, you learn, "Shar is an evil goddess of darkness and loss. Her followers often torture and kill those who oppose them."

I think the Shadowheart first meet on the beach should go something like this:

You meet Shadowheart in armor similar to what she has now but without the black onyx stones (note: play Grymforge and note the Sharran armor you see there. Notice the giant onyx stones in the pauldrons and on many of their chests and abdomens and such).
You ask her who her god/goddess is, AS AN OPTION IF YOU DESIRE TO KNOW. If you ask, she lies to you and says, "My goddess is," just throwing a bogus one out there, "Melira Taralen."

Religion roll is made. If you fail, you don't know the goddess she mentions. If you succeed, you learn, "Melira Taralen is a minor elven goddess of bards and minstrels. She's a Chaotic Good goddess of knowledge, life and trickery."

Insight roll is made. If you fail, the matter drops. If you succeed, you have the OPTION to ask her if she's lying because you think she is. If you call her on it, she can either get hostile towards you and say she'll leave if you don't drop the matter, or whatever.

Then, the first time you encounter something with Shar or Selune, another Religion roll is made and you get the brief description I mentioned above about Shar and a similar brief description about Selune.

We're not talking huge, in depth, lengthy Wiki-posts with giant personality trait sections and histories and so forth. Just something basic and simple to let players know something about who these two goddess are and a very basic understanding of what people think of them.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Am I missing something? Who's asking for a dissertation on Shar?

From what I'm seeing, all anyone's asking for on this thread is a simple dice roll and a brief explanation of who she is. At some point prior to Shadowheart's reveal, when you encounter something related to Shar for the first time, a Religion roll is made. If you succeed, you learn, "Shar is an evil goddess of darkness and loss. Her followers often torture and kill those who oppose them."

I think the Shadowheart first meet on the beach should go something like this:

You meet Shadowheart in armor similar to what she has now but without the black onyx stones (note: play Grymforge and note the Sharran armor you see there. Notice the giant onyx stones in the pauldrons and on many of their chests and abdomens and such).
You ask her who her god/goddess is, AS AN OPTION IF YOU DESIRE TO KNOW. If you ask, she lies to you and says, "My goddess is," just throwing a bogus one out there, "Melira Taralen."

Religion roll is made. If you fail, you don't know the goddess she mentions. If you succeed, you learn, "Melira Taralen is a minor elven goddess of bards and minstrels. She's a Chaotic Good goddess of knowledge, life and trickery."

Insight roll is made. If you fail, the matter drops. If you succeed, you have the OPTION to ask her if she's lying because you think she is. If you call her on it, she can either get hostile towards you and say she'll leave if you don't drop the matter, or whatever.

Then, the first time you encounter something with Shar or Selune, another Religion roll is made and you get the brief description I mentioned above about Shar and a similar brief description about Selune.

We're not talking huge, in depth, lengthy Wiki-posts with giant personality trait sections and histories and so forth. Just something basic and simple to let players know something about who these two goddess are and a very basic understanding of what people think of them.

...and if the player fails all of those rolls, and still comes here outraged at the choices? Because if you think that's not going to happen, you're fooling yourself. I've seen similar happen in TT sessions, where the player had read all of the books, and they figured there's no way their character could fail them. Lore to "evil Goddess" is provided in game. The dialog choices aren't offered in a vacuum, there's a full cutscene that plays out, and is ignored. I've seen that happen before too. My favorite example is swtor, on Ziost. The Sith Emperor devours all life on the planet. There's a cutscene that shows this happening in detail. Yet, on the surface of the planet, after the fact, players were complaining about Ziost being largely lifeless. The full explanation of how that happened was provided, but they hit their spacebar to get through the cutscene, and were left confused about why there wasn't a lot of life on the planet.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Sozz
I guess I should have said Larian's story, would that have been better?

It is more accurate, yes. Still, that decision (i.e., making Shar a relatively unknown quantity "just because") is jarring when placed alongside three plus decades worth of lore.
Not to mention that Larian devs themselves, and including Swen Vincke, have repeatedly promised that the game will respect and reflect existing FR lore.

And for me, the main reason by far to even be interested in this game is because it is a game set in the Forgotten Realms.

It remains to be seen just how "Forgotten Realms" this attempt of theirs ends up being.

veteran
veteran
Look. It's like this. In D&D, your Religion, History, Arcana, and such skills like them are a measure of how much knowledge your character has on a particular topic. So, if you are proficient in Religion, that means you have some basic knowledge on the religions in Faerun.

Therefore, the entire point of having such skill proficiencies is so that when you, the player need to know something about a particular piece of lore in the world your character lives in, the DM calls for a dice roll. If you fail, you don't know about that thing and the DM describes nothing to you about it. If you succeed, you gain the knowledge from the DM. Usually, the higher you roll, the more the DM will tell you if you want to know more details.

So, if you fail your dice rolls in BG3 and therefore your character knows nothing about Shar and Selune, then that's the way things go. If your character is totally clueless by the time of Shadowheart's big reveal because you failed your Religion dice rolls when you first encountered items from Shar and/or Selune, then your character's dialogue choices during the big reveal should be more like, "Okay. Is this supposed to be a big deal? Who's Shar anyway?" as opposed to (if you made the Religion rolls successfully), "Whoa! You're a cleric of Shar? That's unacceptable. You MONSTER!" or "Hah! I knew it. You were throwing Shar flags all over the place," or "Hmmm. I kinda had a feeling, but I wasn't sure. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. You are one of us. I don't care who you serve." Or something similar.

Some ownership DOES have to be put on the player. If you're going to skip cutscenes that explain things, that's on you. That's like a player during TT having the DM explain something to them but they were zoning out and then wondering why they didn't know something later in the game. You zoned out. That's on you.

Whether you look up Shar information on the web or not, that shouldn't matter in regards to the game itself. Your character should only have dialogue options based on your character's knowledge of Shar. If you succeeded in the roll, you should know who Shar is and have appropriate responses based on your character knowing who Shar is. There should be options for outrage and dismissal because you simply won't accept a Sharran Cleric in your party and options for saying that you knew but didn't care. If you failed, and your character knows nothing about Shar, you should have options that are more based on trying to learn more about Shar and who she is and then trying to figure out what you are going to do about it.

But regardless, I would expect more responses from origin characters like Gale who loves Mystra who hates Shar. Gale shouldn't be flirting with Shadowheart when he first meets her but should be more distrusting her IF he knows she's a Sharran. I could see him hitting on her if he was clueless about her patron deity, but not flirting with her... unless he's totally lying about being a lover of Mystra. Wyll shouldn't like having a Sharran in the party, unless, of course, he's not really the hero wannabe he claims to be.

And overall, that armor shouldn't scream Shar. It should not look like the Justiciar armor found in Grymforge in any way. Shar's followers would NOT roam around Faerun in armor that screamed who they served. They are a secret society. The only time they'd wear armor like that is maybe if marching into some major battle, and then only if the need was there. Shadowheart is supposed to be on some covert mission. She would not be parading around in Shar armor.

Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard