Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#798761 04/11/21 08:13 PM
Flooter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Here are three ways the minimap has spoiled things for me.

1. Showing the exits to the current map, even when they’re secret.
This happened in the Zhentarim hideout. The elevator to the underdark is hidden behind a false wall, but it still showed up on the minimap, telling me where to look and what to look for.

2. Showing npc attitudes. It’s fine if I see npcs are up ahead on the road, but knowing 100 feet away whether or not they want to kill me robs the encounter of intrigue.
That happened at the toll house on the risen road. Approaching the house, there are bloody corpses strewn about. I’m gearing up for an intense fight. Then a little green diamond shows up on the minimap, indicating a friend, and deflates the tension immediately.

3. Showing all traversable terrain. This one isn’t the minimap’s fault, the spoilers are just a by-product of how Larian design their maps. DOS2 had the same quirk : there’s something at the end of each path, every surface I can stand on has a purpose. So when I see some ledge on which I can jump or climb, I know it’s either for an encounter or a repository for some secret.
This happens all the time. Most notable for me was the watch tower off the road from the druid grove to the blighted village. Saw a platform on the minimap. Clambered up. And there, unsurprisingly, was a surprise.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
+1

Annoyed that I was able to see that there were hostile enemies behind a door, and what those enemies were.

veteran
veteran
+1

I'm not too much of a fan of the minimap especially in its current implementation. It should at the very least hide things that your character shouldn't be able to notice.

A better solution might be just to get rid of it entirely, and rely on an openable map that shows places we've been: important NPCs, shops, waypoints, etc.

veteran
veteran
+1

This is not something we talked about a lot here if I remember correctly, but I totally agree.
I'm all for the removal of the minimap for a better map as suggested by mrfuji... But it would already be better if the (mini)map wouldn't spoiled us.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/11/21 09:05 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
+1

I'm not too much of a fan of the minimap especially in its current implementation. It should at the very least hide things that your character shouldn't be able to notice.

A better solution might be just to get rid of it entirely, and rely on an openable map that shows places we've been: important NPCs, shops, waypoints, etc.

Improving the map would be good, but I like having a minimap.
An option to hide it and an option to hide things on it would be good, but removing it would be awful.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 04/11/21 11:16 PM.
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
+1

An option to hide it and an option to hide things on it would be good, but removing it would be awful.

Agree. An option to hide would be good, but please keep a mini-map in the game (with the spoilers for those who do not mind them).

But while we are on the map subject - would love to get an option that exists in practically every cRPG: if you double click on the big map you get to the spot you clicked on in the main screen. You do not have to scroll there over the whole location, you are just there. Then you can click on the ground and your party will march to that spot.

Last edited by Amirit; 04/11/21 11:32 PM.
veteran
veteran
+1

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
dza101 #814596 05/05/22 02:19 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dza101
Annoyed that I was able to see that there were hostile enemies behind a door, and what those enemies were.

+10

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
+1

Would you like an option to insta kill all enemies in a combat?

veteran
veteran
+1

I wish I would be able to get rid of the minimap entirely. I don't get any value from it, an it occasionally detracts from the experience.

A
addict
addict
A
+1
they shouldn't spoil surprises.

addict
addict
+1

The very display of the minimap should be optional.

And there should perhaps be options for what is indicated on the minimap, when it is displayed (explored area only or area ahead , creatures' positions, creatures' attitudes, ...).

addict
addict
Have an option to mix in the classic way with modern : map is in your inventory to check out whenever, or press a key. Or at the VERY LEAST hide the current map.
Not that MMO immersion breaking <its always there> like you have a live GPS phone turned on looking for that pizza place.

Its funny that in BG2 there used to be spells that does what the auto-map does 24/7...really shows what mainstream RPGs have become now...

I highly doubt Larian will do anything about it. Its just too hardcore for <modern> RPG players rofl. New player convenience overrules everything now, so as always...JUST DON'T LOOK AT IT lol.
I mean, look at Elden Ring (no live UI map!, actually no freakin UI when exploring!) , what a smash failure of a game wink People just hate being <limited> and <convenience> taken away right?

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 05/05/22 11:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
I highly doubt Larian will do anything about it. Its just too hardcore for <modern> RPG players rofl. New player convenience overrules everything now, so as always...JUST DON'T LOOK AT IT lol.
I mean, look at Elden Ring (no live UI map!, actually no freakin UI when exploring!) , what a smash failure of a game wink
While Ubisoft-quest-Markers vs. Elden Ring's/Zelda's curiocity-lead-exploration come to mind, I don't think that applies to BG3.

BG3 doesn't handhold the player - in general it does a great job in making player discover thing by themselves. On top of that Map and minimap doesn't mark too many things nor isn't very informative. While minimap can indeed unecessarily spoil few things (like enemies you haven't got a chance to spot yet) I don't think that it being too informative is its main problem - a main problem is that it is fairly useless and takes a lot of screen space. If I were to guess, I would assume that its main functionality of coop oriented, like pinging stuff to your mates. But other then that it's a massive piece of UI that most of the time just doesn't provide much information. I don't think that removing UI would make the game any more hardcore - I just don't see the use for the thing.

veteran
veteran
Most games would be be better without a minimap. Period.
BG3 is in no way an exception to the rule.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
I mean, look at Elden Ring (no live UI map!, actually no freakin UI when exploring!) , what a smash failure of a game wink People just hate being <limited> and <convenience> taken away right?

My only bitch with Elden Ring is that it really sucks for those of us who use Keyboard/Mouse.....

Tuco #814628 06/05/22 09:36 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Most games offers option to turn minimap off, wich is even better ...
No period included ... ugh, grose. :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Tuco #814630 06/05/22 10:49 PM
veteran
veteran
I would say, most games would be better if they were designed to be played without a minimap.

I found that unfortunately most modern games are difficult to enjoy as quests rely too much on dotted lines to provide gudance, and locations aren't well labeled in-game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Most games offers option to turn minimap off, wich is even better ...
Most of these games with "the option" are still designed to make their minimap, markers and omniscient GPS trackers an absolutely essential part of the gaming experience, otherwise the player is simply not offered enough tools and information to comfortably deal with quests and content.

Which is PRECISELY why games that are designed from the get go to do without a minimap work so much better in terms of making their stuff organic to discover and enjoy.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN

Link Copied to Clipboard