Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kethlar
I don't think Haslin is confirmed, but he does have dialog that says that he wants to go with you to the towers and he ends up at your camp after you rescue him. So, yeah, I'm like 99.9% positive he's in. Karlach says that she can't join until you reach Baldur's Gate, so she's probably a Act 2 companion.

I was seriously considering playing my MC as a Druid, and I still might, but I am enjoying playing as a Sorcerer more than i anticipated so I might go that route. However, after starting the thread about how to play Wyll as a Warlock, I'm sorta intrigued about trying out that class since I don't particularly like the Wyll character.

I used a build, Wolfheart recommended in one of his Videos: the Sorlock. Play sorcerer and at level 4 select the fest Nähe Initiate Warlock ( and of course the spells Hex and Eldritch Bläst). It is really fun so far and a bit like multiclassing. This way, you can have the sorcerer class with warlock spells.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Karlach leaving and not joining you right away is lame, imo.

She has a tadpole. Everyone and their grandmother is already after you, and her, because you are all infected. You're all going the same way. Why would she NOT join you?

I'm not sure, If that might get changed for release. Maybe they are still working in Karlach and that is the reason, she doesn't join at the moment. Finding the people responsible for her ending up in Avernus might then become her second act quest.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
If Karlach is one of the good companions, I hope they add a way to recruit her without slaughtering a bunch of people.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by fylimar
I'm really excited for Karlach. I expect to like her.
Is it confirmed, that Halsin will be a companion too? I mean, he would be great as the druid companion.

I doubt he'll be a companion. Doesn't seam like this game'll have that many and the druid spot is already taken by the werewolf, whatever her name is.

veteran
veteran
I was actually wondering if Karlach is supposed to be a Paladin of Tyr.

Anders, the "Tyrite" in the toll house, was obviously lying. He carries the Sword of Justice. Where did he get it from? Was he really a Tyrite ever?

What if the Sword of Justice was actually Karlach's.

Think of her story. She was a demon slayer in Avernus. However, she originally came from Baldur's Gate because she says she has to return home to Baldur's Gate to make the people who enslaved her in Avernus pay.

If you look at some of the higher levels of the Paladin class, Karlach could have been an Avenging Angel, able to even sprout wings and fly. That would have made her an incredibly powerful demon slayer and also able to fly up to the nautiloid when it showed up and therefore board it. Only because she became infected did she lose all her super high level stats and became like a level whatever noob.

The Sword of Justice would, therefore, be very appropriate if it was her sword and she had been a Paladin of Tyr who had been caught up in the Descent of Elturel and then captured and enslaved by Zariel and forced to slay demons in the hells.

Either way, I don't think you'll help her slaughter a bunch of innocents or anything. My guess is that you're going to help her, as a side quest, wipe out a bunch of cultists who worship the demoness Zariel, who, by the way, is after you already.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Is it confirmed, that Halsin will be a companion too? I mean, he would be great as the druid companion.

I doubt he'll be a companion. Doesn't seam like this game'll have that many and the druid spot is already taken by the werewolf, whatever her name is.
I think the werewolf is a bard actually. I'm pretty sure I saw that in one of Chublots datamining Videos.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I agree, the people, you kill for Karlach, are hardly innocents. So I don't really feel bad about it.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Karlach leaving and not joining you right away is lame, imo.

She has a tadpole. Everyone and their grandmother is already after you, and her, because you are all infected. You're all going the same way. Why would she NOT join you?

I really think this is just stand-in filler at the moment. Just like Shadowheart's recruitment changed, I suspect Karlach's will be different in the future.

Your theory about the Sword of Justice is interesting. It's not something I previously considered, but it makes sense. They're using her own sword to hunt her down and kill her.

There's a pod along the river that smells bad, basically like sulfur if I recall correctly. Does anyone know who was in that pod? Was that Karlach's pod? Mizora, maybe?

And why's there a coffin in the middle of the river by a pair of boots near the owlbear's lair?

old hand
old hand
I don't think Haslin is confirmed, but he does have dialog that says that he wants to go with you to the towers and he ends up at your camp after you rescue him. So, yeah, I'm like 99.9% positive he's in. Karlach says that she can't join until you reach Baldur's Gate, so she's probably a Act 2 companion.

I was seriously considering playing my MC as a Druid, and I still might, but I am enjoying playing as a Sorcerer more than i anticipated so I might go that route. However, after starting the thread about how to play Wyll as a Warlock, I'm sorta intrigued about trying out that class since I don't particularly like the Wyll character.

I used a build, Wolfheart recommended in one of his Videos: the Sorlock. Play sorcerer and at level 4 select the fest Nähe Initiate Warlock ( and of course the spells Hex and Eldritch Bläst). It is really fun so far and a bit like multiclassing. This way, you can have the sorcerer class with warlock spells.

Äldritch Bläst!

Anders, the "Tyrite" in the toll house, was obviously lying. He carries the Sword of Justice. Where did he get it from? Was he really a Tyrite ever?

Yes, at the very least it heavily implied, but if I remember correctly he says outright that he is a fallen paladin.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai

Äldritch Bläst!

grin That was my spellcheck --- and I'm not sure, how it made Bläst out of Blast, but it is funny

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran

Yes, at the very least it heavily implied, but if I remember correctly he says outright that he is a fallen paladin.

Ah, but I don't believe him. If he lied about Karlach, and he's really hunting her on behalf of Zariel, why should I believe any of his story?

And his minions are SO not dressed appropriately, but he says THEY are all paladins. He also doesn't display any paladin abilities. Maybe it's just an EA incomplete thing, but I'm thinking he isn't at all what he says he is. He's trying to make you think he's good and Karlach is a murderous butchering pregnant-mom killer.

And the bodies around the toll house also speak of murderous butchers, not gnolls. Notice the severed limbs and body parts. Gnolls would just eat people, not skin them and cut them to pieces. Seems more like the work of vicious butchers than gnolls. Did Anders and his crew butcher a bunch of people at the toll house who were maybe a part of the caravan? Was it Karlach?

There's even a bloody hand print on the wall on the east side as if someone died horribly while trying to escape someone else. Seems more like the work of a psychopath in some horror flick than savage gnolls eating their victims. I'm just saying.

But regardless of the toll house scene, my first impression of the entire Karlach scene was, "Did I make the right choice in killing Anders and saving Karlach?" But the more I play the scene and examine everything around, the more I think Anders is a total fraud. He doesn't even really know the Tenets of the Tyrite Faith, which a fallen Tyrite should know. (My cleric that I usually play is a Cleric of Tyr, and you can test Anders about the Tenets of the Faith to catch him in a lie; if I'm remembering correctly. I admit, I haven't played the part in awhile.)

Last edited by GM4Him; 05/11/21 05:52 PM.
Banned
Banned

I think the werewolf is a bard actually. I'm pretty sure I saw that in one of Chublots datamining Videos.

So, Lohse. Truly daring. Let's hope not.

veteran
veteran

Ah, but I don't believe him. If he lied about Karlach, and he's really hunting her on behalf of Zariel, why should I believe any of his story?

And his minions are SO not dressed appropriately, but he says THEY are all paladins. He also doesn't display any paladin abilities. Maybe it's just an EA incomplete thing, but I'm thinking he isn't at all what he says he is. He's trying to make you think he's good and Karlach is a murderous butchering pregnant-mom killer.

And the bodies around the toll house also speak of murderous butchers, not gnolls. Notice the severed limbs and body parts. Gnolls would just eat people, not skin them and cut them to pieces. Seems more like the work of vicious butchers than gnolls. Did Anders and his crew butcher a bunch of people at the toll house who were maybe a part of the caravan? Was it Karlach?

There's even a bloody hand print on the wall on the east side as if someone died horribly while trying to escape someone else. Seems more like the work of a psychopath in some horror flick than savage gnolls eating their victims. I'm just saying.

But regardless of the toll house scene, my first impression of the entire Karlach scene was, "Did I make the right choice in killing Anders and saving Karlach?" But the more I play the scene and examine everything around, the more I think Anders is a total fraud. He doesn't even really know the Tenets of the Tyrite Faith, which a fallen Tyrite should know. (My cleric that I usually play is a Cleric of Tyr, and you can test Anders about the Tenets of the Faith to catch him in a lie; if I'm remembering correctly. I admit, I haven't played the part in awhile.)

If you use Speak with the Dead on the dead tollhouse collector, he will tell you, that they were indeed attacked by gnolls.

And my guess is, that the paladin abilities are not there, because the class is not finished yet.

Doctor Who
addict
addict

Äldritch Bläst!

grin That was my spellcheck --- and I'm not sure, how it made Bläst out of Blast, but it is funny

Do you have say, Swedish in your keyboard languages? Because my autocorrect loves to autocorrect to Swedish sometimes... And it would certainly fill in blästa because it's part of my address.... >< and I use it all the time.

veteran
veteran
I wonder if they changed it. A toll house ledger, or some sort of document in the toll house, can't remember which, mentioned something about the toll house being attacked by goblins.

However, if you notice, the toll house ledger's last date was like Uktar 16th. The guy in the toll house had been dead for A WHILE because he was stanky. The entire basement of the toll house was nasty smelling. So, it implies that the toll house had been raided days prior to the gnolls attacking the caravan on the road.

Anders and his crew had just gotten there. They had just killed a bunch of gnolls, and Karlach had just escaped them. They were picking through the bodies of their own dead and the caravan dead when you arrive.

So, many of the bodies are fresh in the area including the ones that are skinned and chopped up viciously. This leads me to wonder, then. Who mercilessly chopped up and skinned those victims recently? I suppose it could have been Karlach. As they were fighting, she just carved them up with her sword, suffered a wound, dropped the sword and ran. OR, it could be that Anders and his crew are not as friendly as they pretend to be, killing off any survivors so no one could tell the tale of who they REALLY are.

They aren't exactly dressed for battle. I have to wonder, in the end when the game is finally released, are they actually going to turn into cambions or something when you fight them? After all, they are dressed more like peasants, so who on earth were they able to fight Karlach? They certainly aren't that tough against you.

Last edited by GM4Him; 05/11/21 08:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
I see. Thanks for the information. Even if said theories about Gale don't turn out to be true. He definitely did something where Mystra ended up leaving him. I do wonder what was so bad but of course we have to wait for more content.

Pretty sure Gale himself states she simply got bored of him, which is what lead him to trying to impress her by researching Netherese magic.

Didn't he try to cast a spell first and he failed, then she left him? I think that's what he said because he was trying to impress her.

That's Gale's version of the story. I suspect he's lying / telling a half truth.

The game is treating Netherese Magic as synonymous with shadow magic but they're not identical. There's the Mystryl-controlled weave and the Shar-controlled shadow weave. If you are playing Pathfinder: Wrath the shadow weave is the force behind spells like shadow conjuration.

The shadow weave is the dark reflection of the weave and a cancer on it. Wherever the weave expands it eats away at the weave. It's part of Shar's centuries long campaign to kill Mystra and end all of existence. The more people using the shadow weave the more the cancer spreads and the weaker Mystra becomes . . .

Every time you use the shadow weave you distance yourself from the true weave and eventually you will be unable to cast spells using the weave. You are linked into the Shadow weave -- Shar then permanently removes 2 wisdom points which can only be restored by a Sharran cleric in exchange for a service to Shar.

Now the Shadow weave is potentially more powerful than the weave because Mystra reorganized the weave and cut off access to 10-12 level spells. It's not clear in the lore, but it's possible that the Shadow weave still allows access to 10 - 12 spells.

So you are Gale, an archmage *and* a chosen, there really isn't any place to move up. Even becoming the magister is a step down from chosen. Unless you explore the shadow weave . . .

Gale's 'orb' is acting like a shadow mythallar (shadow weave power plant). I think he went in search of it, found it, and thus fell into Shar's trap. This ended the relationship with Mystra -- he chose to connect himself to the shadow weave.

This would also explain the graphics on the gates -- the dark energy / dark flame effects looks shadow weavish.

I guessing if you play him as your MC you will have a choice to become a chosen of Shar and wield the power of a shadow mythallar or you will be able to get back into Mystra's good graces.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
3. Shadowheart. My initial favorite but she's gotten worse with each patch. She's supposed to be secretive, hard to understand, distrustful and mysterious but has suddenly gotten chatty, friendly and quick to trust. Not the way a Tsundre romance is supposed to work.

Don't quote me on this, but saving her from the pod is a disservice to her character. I guess it makes her interactions more bearable for anyone playing the heroic sort, but for me it just dumped her down from ally and equal to boring underling.

Couldn't agree more! Nice summary of the fall of Karsus btw smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn
Do you have say, Swedish in your keyboard languages? Because my autocorrect loves to autocorrect to Swedish sometimes... And it would certainly fill in blästa because it's part of my address.... >< and I use it all the time.

In my case, German, but Bläst isn't even a word in German grin

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
But regardless of the toll house scene, my first impression of the entire Karlach scene was, "Did I make the right choice in killing Anders and saving Karlach?"
Knowing that Karlach can’t be recruited yet, I have been leaving the quest unfinished so far. They aren’t innocent, but I would still like to help them get free without hurting Karlach.😊

It might depend on the dialogue options picked, but when I played, Tav confronted Anders about his lies. Anders admitted to them, described what was really going on, and told his team not to kill Tav and crew. Then what should Tav do? Kill them? That seemed really bad, so I am hoping it is just unfinished and that there will be more options later.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn

In my case, German, but Bläst isn't even a word in German grin

Totally weird then. Lol.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard