Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 46 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 45 46
#799074 07/11/21 09:09 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SereneNight
My feeling is I do prefer more Tolkien style elves, some of the d&d ones kinda went to alien for me

I would not be surprised if that preference was cemented due to the pervasiveness/frequency of the "Tolkien elf" (aka the Humanelves) in fiction.

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
Well, what is called Tolkien elves these days sort of predate modern fiction though. Members of the elves in various cultures were largely just beautiful humans with mysterious ways. Some were not of course.

At any rate elven variance could be easily explained with their closeness to the weave and being more fluid in shape in form although that cribs a lot from Wendy pinis elfquest.

Last edited by SereneNight; 07/11/21 03:51 PM.
veteran
veteran
I just wish to say that i returned to Witcher 3 recently ...
And when i get to Novigrad, i remembered this threat almost imediately. laugh

It really felt good to recognize Elf at first sight. smile
[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
#799169 07/11/21 07:34 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, what is called Tolkien elves these days sort of predate modern fiction though. Members of the elves in various cultures were largely just beautiful humans with mysterious ways. Some were not of course.

At any rate elven variance could be easily explained with their closeness to the weave and being more fluid in shape in form although that cribs a lot from Wendy pinis elfquest.

A (primarily) Chaotic Good race of wanderlust-stricken hedonists? Methinks more of their ancestors were knocking Boots of Elvenkind with "lowly humans" than they care to admit.

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
LOL. Why not? They know a good thing when they see it. =-)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I just wish to say that i returned to Witcher 3 recently ...
And when i get to Novigrad, i remembered this threat almost imediately. laugh

It really felt good to recognize Elf at first sight. smile
[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]

Or any elder scrolls game. The elves there are also very distinctive.

As are the Warcraft elves. And the Elvaan/Elezen (basically elves) from Final Fantasy.

Every depiction I've seen of elves is that they're slimmer, more angular, with slightly larger eyes. I should be able to tell the difference by silhouette.

Elf heads in this game aren't even good. Look at male elf head 3. Dude looks high af.

#799266 08/11/21 11:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Wendy pinis elfquest.

Like so?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com] [Linked Image from cafans.b-cdn.net] [Linked Image from elfquest.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn
Elf heads in this game aren't even good. Look at male elf head 3. Dude looks high af.

I was thinking "California surfer dude".

Last edited by Ragitsu; 08/11/21 08:12 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Wendy pinis elfquest.

Like so?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com] [Linked Image from cafans.b-cdn.net] [Linked Image from elfquest.com]

Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn

I was thinking "California surfer dude".

To be fair, I lived in California... Humboldt county specifically. All the guys there (cold water surfing is just nuts I'll tell ya) are high af.

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
Moonshade was always a beautiful elf.

But, even in elfquest there is a ton of variance in shape, depending on the origins. Then again, they tended to have a lot of mixing given that some were able to shapeshift and interbreed with other species. (Not humans though, the Pinis were particular there were no half-humans for 'reasons.')

I sort of think that wotc borrowed some from that concept with the sex-changing and malleable elves.

Not that I mind, I like the idea. But again, I'm not bothered by the classic Tolkien elf either.

#799342 08/11/21 07:33 PM
old hand
old hand
Not that I mind, I like the idea. But again, I'm not bothered by the classic Tolkien elf either.

Their "aesthetic"/form/physiognomy - nowadays inescapably influenced by Jackson's live-action trilogy, granted - when applied to virtually every fantasy IP outside of Tolkien's works (he gets a pass) used to be met by indifference when I took a moment to truly contemplate their appearance. Over time, that indifference has matured into a quiet antipathy; rare is the occasion when my thought process doesn't veer towards "lazy" or "uninspired". D&D could do with more distinction if it wants to stand solidly apart from one of its many inspirations and elves just so happen to be a great place to start. Tiny adjustments lead to large improvements.

D
addict
addict
D
In Tolkien elves and humans were biologically the same (no pointed ears on elves!). The difference was entirely spiritual.

old hand
old hand
(Not humans though, the Pinis were particular there were no half-humans for 'reasons.')

What I remember is that they followed the logic of (and I am STRONGLY paraphrasing here) "If you make an exception to the rule (i.e., Human-Elf hybrids being possible), that exception invariably becomes ubiquitous." That said, there was a one-shot/"What if?" story that featured a Half-Elf.

Originally Posted by dwig
In Tolkien elves and humans were biologically the same (no pointed ears on elves!). The difference was entirely spiritual.

A spirituality that enables Wuxia-flavored acrobatics, lightness of tread, eyes of the hawk, immortality, et cetera. Maybe I need to get religion!

enthusiast
enthusiast
It wasn’t spirituality. Their faces were filled with the “light of The Eldar”. It was a visible difference. One knew when they were talking an elf. They were also more slender than humans.

Now what the hell having the light of Earendil or whatever actually *looked* like is totally up to interpretation. Perhaps it was more cyberpunk than angelic! Lol

Last edited by timebean; 09/11/21 12:19 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by timebean
It wasn’t spirituality. Their faces were filled with the “light of The Eldar”. It was a visible difference. One knew when they were talking an elf. They were also more slender than humans.

Now what the hell having the light of Earendil or whatever actually *looked* like is totally up to interpretation. Perhaps it was more cyberpunk than angelic! Lol

All right, so they have a wicked tanning routine. Now we know why they're so eager to sail westward.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ha!

Lothlorian Tanning Salon Inc.

Don’t fall into Shadow! Come bask in the light of the Eldar!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Zandilar
The elven faces in BG3 are, afaic, elven enough for me.

Face =/= ears.

veteran
veteran
Face =/= ears.
Ouch, right in my wish. laugh

If only we could pick ears separately from heads. frown frown frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Face =/= ears.
Ouch, right in my wish. laugh

If only we could pick ears separately from heads. frown frown frown

"The ears...there's something about those ears."
"You're weird."
"Maybe, but at least I know what I like."

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Argonaut
@FatePeddler
It is using the baldurs gate brand, D&D brand and FR setting. In all of these elves have a consistent description and aesthetic. Moving past that elves originate from northern mythologies. Changing this and saying it is your interpretation is creative bankruptcy. I don't remember much complaint about how elves where portrayed in their own IPs.

Awesome Argonaut hehe.

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

Page 30 of 46 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 45 46

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard