Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
It's a bold decision, if Larian goes that way, no doubt. Still. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of locking the party in regards to origin characters. Commitment. Feels nice.

That's not to say that I think it's bad to have more party members.

Here's what I'd like to see:

A few of the origin characters stick around. The others run off to do things that need taking care of, and probably come back later in helpful or harmful roles, depending.

Which leaves the main character plus three other origin characters.

On top of that, I'd like the game to allow for more companions, albeit ones without tadpoles. Just regular folk that can be recruited. Followers, cultists, mercenaries, whatever.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I posted about this earlier, and I do agree that if they are going down the commitment path - it should feel like a powerful narrative decision and not a "let's get rid of the inconvenient companions handwave" we had in DOS2.

Everyone that isn't in your party immediately dies to plot device #23 so that you can safely forget about them the entire playthrough? Feels like a bad design choice used to "improve replayability".

However, if characters you don't take are re-integrated into the story as proper NPCs - i.e. you leave Astarion behind and he's now a NPC in the Cazador quest line. Or Lae'zel joins up with the Githyanki hunting squads. Okay, I'm a little more open to that. Extra points if how they act as an NPC is influenced by your relationship while they were in your party.

veteran
veteran
Last year we are arguing about this vague sentence ...
Nobody still "knows" what does it mean for sure. :P

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
"i like Chocolate"

man, i'm not sure if he likes chocolate, that was such a vague statement

veteran
veteran
Does he like milk chocolate?
White chocolate?
Dark chocolate?
Chocolate with hazzelnuts?
Chocolate with almonts?
Chocolate with filling?
Chocolate in form of figures, or just bar?

Answer me exactly and corectly for those question based on your "so incredibly precise statement" :P

Good efort tho. laugh

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Topgoon
This topic just came up in reddit today and I thought I'd share: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/qrwksq/source_permanent_party_after_act_one/

#1 upvoted response:
"Thank you for the information, i hate it tho"

Hard agree. And the BG3 reddit is generally very positive on Larian.

Come on Larian - this is a genuine mistake. I think you've done a pretty good job making BG3 its own game and feel different, despite what some people will say. But THIS - this is a legitimately a "DOS3" design choice.
This is one of those design decisions where it's extremely obvious that DOS2 became a breakout hit DESPITE its existence rather than because of it, and that distinction is important.

If Larian fails to realize that, the wider gaming community will absolutely not be as forgiving this time around.

veteran
veteran
This topic just came up in reddit today and I thought I'd share: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/qrwksq/source_permanent_party_after_act_one/

#1 upvoted response:
"Thank you for the information, i hate it tho"

Hard agree. And the BG3 reddit is generally very positive on Larian.

Come on Larian - this is a genuine mistake. I think you've done a pretty good job making BG3 its own game and feel different, despite what some people will say. But THIS - this is a legitimately a "DOS3" design choice.
But this is the exact same developer quote from last year. Not a new update as is implied. So there's still the possibility things could be different.

S
S
Originally Posted by JandK
It's a bold decision, if Larian goes that way, no doubt. Still. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of locking the party in regards to origin characters. Commitment. Feels nice.

That's not to say that I think it's bad to have more party members.

Here's what I'd like to see:

A few of the origin characters stick around. The others run off to do things that need taking care of, and probably come back later in helpful or harmful roles, depending.

Which leaves the main character plus three other origin characters.

On top of that, I'd like the game to allow for more companions, albeit ones without tadpoles. Just regular folk that can be recruited. Followers, cultists, mercenaries, whatever.

Almost the same. It would be great to realize that one of your former companions is now an enemy in one form or another.

However... there must be a reserve option in case some of the members of your chosen group falter. Replacing them with a self-made character without a backstory is probably the worst alternative (one I would use if absolutely that's the only way to save a campaign). This can be avoided if there are reserves: companions with a personality you've met on the road, even a reserve origin companion.

P.S. Alternatively, they might thin the group by people leaving/dropping out at certain chapters/ story moments.

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 14/11/21 12:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
Since I won't play with mercs, they better have more real companions beyond the current five, companions with backstory and more importantly interractions with both the rest of the party and the world. I want fully fleshed out companions, just not origin companions.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Since I won't play with mercs, they better have more real companions beyond the current five, companions with backstory and more importantly interractions with both the rest of the party and the world. I want fully fleshed out companions, just not origin companions.

It is already confirmed that there will be more companions than our current ones. smile More specifically, apparently none of our current ones are good alignment as they wanted data specifically on the neutral/evil alignment companions first.

Although I am fairly certain that many (or most) of the companions will be somewhat alignment fluid.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
G
addict
addict
G
I posted about this earlier, and I do agree that if they are going down the commitment path - it should feel like a powerful narrative decision and not a "let's get rid of the inconvenient companions handwave" we had in DOS2.

Everyone that isn't in your party immediately dies to plot device #23 so that you can safely forget about them the entire playthrough? Feels like a bad design choice used to "improve replayability".

However, if characters you don't take are re-integrated into the story as proper NPCs - i.e. you leave Astarion behind and he's now a NPC in the Cazador quest line. Or Lae'zel joins up with the Githyanki hunting squads. Okay, I'm a little more open to that. Extra points if how they act as an NPC is influenced by your relationship while they were in your party.

Isn't that already happening?

You don't take Shadowheart = you confront her about the artifact and kill her and take it.

Lae'zel will die to the Githyanki patrol.

They just need to write deaths for the others.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gaymer
You don't take Shadowheart = you confront her about the artifact and kill her and take it.

Lae'zel will die to the Githyanki patrol.
Astarion can be given to Monster Hunter.

As far as i know, Gale dont leave you unless he litteraly hates you ... i managed to force him to leave when i didnt give him artefacts in the past ... but i believe that was allready changed since i have seen THIS!!!

So far there is no known end for Wyll ... he just get mad and leave you if you join Goblins.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 15/11/21 10:13 PM.

veteran
veteran
Actually, I've had Wyll not leave during the goblin raid - as long as he's not present when you make your plans with Minthara, and doesn't see you (for example) shove Zevlor off a cliff to kick things off, he just goes along with you and participates in the slaughter just fine.

This may be a loophole in Larian's sketchy coding though, since I think his party camp dialogue was the same - the generic "here's to heroes" dialogue.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard