Next Thread
Print Thread
#800266 13/11/21 01:02 AM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Hi, just bought the D:OS I and 2 EE bundle from steam, and I'm playing the first one before I move on to II.

Played through to the point where I talk to the Imp after the crime scene and then come back and talk to the wizard/cat and he explains the pyramids, then decided I wanted to start over and roll different characters. So I do that, am much happier with my new characters, and when I open the door to the crime scene and walk in, I get xp, get knocked down, see loading screen get to about 1/4 progress, and the game crashes - every single time. I've tried different save points, I've made sure the cloud is synced, I've turned off autosaves...still does it.

My PC is running Windows 10 and is about a year old. Not a high end gaming machine, but I didn't think it would be needed for a game that's 7+ years old.

What can I do to get past this? Really like this game, but not being able to progress on the main quest is getting annoying.

Last edited by Greyman369; 13/11/21 01:03 AM.
veteran
veteran
Around 40% is where the game compiles Osiris (the scripting that controls most quest progression, events ingame and databases). So it's not hardware performance/capability related, almost certainly. If you're playing with any mods that's almost certainly the culprit if so. Otherwise, try verifying game files. It may also crash because of read/write issues to \Documents\Larian Studios as well to write some temp/cache files while compiling, so try disabling your AV temporarily, or adding the game exe and \Documents\Larian Studios as an exeption exe & folder to your AV.

If none of that works, email support@larian.com copy pasting your issue and my reply to illustrate what you've tried, and attach your save file and associated .png located roughly in \Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\Player Profiles\Your Profile\SaveGames\RecentSaveName (I don't have DOS1 installed currently but I assume the storage path is similar to Dos2).

Last edited by The Composer; 13/11/21 08:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
Exit Steam and run it as Administrator, which makes its sub-processes and launched games run as Administrator too. This may help with some local system permissions as well.

G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
No mods, and I'll add an exception and run as Admin. Thanks for the help!

G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I set Steam to run as admin, restarted Steam, tried and it works now - thanks again o7

veteran
veteran
Huzzah! Happy to hear it ^^

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard