Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Nyanko
D&D doesn't care about queer, as it doesn't care about homos and it doesn't care about straights. There is no love parade, no gay marriage and no civil rights for trans.

And you know why? Because it's a fantasy fiction world which doesn't care about real world politics and social concerns.

And I am tired of people bringing that kind of irrelevant stuff into my hobby.

+1

veteran
veteran
I think that's giving fantasy short shrift if you don't think it can handle issues of politics, race, sex and gender.

It's disingenuous to say the reason for playersexual characters isn't about anything other than not having to deal with this issue. It's not about storytelling, it's about how to not have to tell those stories. We have fantasy stories that do, and their characters are always going to feel more real to me.

Last edited by Sozz; 16/11/21 08:16 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
D&D doesn't care about queer, as it doesn't care about homos and it doesn't care about straights. There is no love parade, no gay marriage and no civil rights for trans.

And you know why? Because it's a fantasy fiction world which doesn't care about real world politics and social concerns.

Why is it that it's only ever 'bringing politics into the hobby' when it's queer stuff and never straight stuff?

Somehow people forget that the original series already had multiple queer party members in it. It's true that the player character had pretty few avenues to express that (some male drow slaves in the underdark and a succubus in Watcher's Keep are the only ones that come to mind off the top of my head)

It's not always been terribly visible or well-executed, but queerness isn't something new to the Forgotten Realms, either in video games or in a general sense.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Leucrotta

Why is it that it's only ever 'bringing politics into the hobby' when it's queer stuff and never straight stuff?

Somehow people forget that the original series already had multiple queer party members in it. It's true that the player character had pretty few avenues to express that (some male drow slaves in the underdark and a succubus in Watcher's Keep are the only ones that come to mind off the top of my head)

It's not always been terribly visible or well-executed, but queerness isn't something new to the Forgotten Realms, either in video games or in a general sense.

You might note that his original quote says:

"it doesn't care about straights"

I would also complain if a conversation along the lines of...

"We have an evil tadpole in our head trying to murder us."
"You know what that reminds me of, Wizard?"
"What is that?"
"Back when I was a young man in my village and I saw a girl. That is when I knew I was straight."
"Oh, really? That is so fascinating."
"I know... I know it is. EXTREMELY fascinating."
"It is so interesting, tell me more."
"Well let me make sure I am being polite. I identified as a man and she identified as a woman."
"Of course. Gender is a social construct, I am glad we could clear that up on our journey together."
"Well I started to look at the world around me and realize I was attracted to the ladies, you know? Because I am straight. Like super, duper straight."
"Yes, being straight IS really great."
"It is. It is so great."
"I know. I'm glad you know that I think it is great."
"I'm glad that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know it is great."

Who cares? If characters are attracted to one another then they can express it and act on it, like they already do.

Last edited by Lake Plisko; 17/11/21 06:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
I think that's giving fantasy short shrift if you don't think it can handle issues of politics, race, sex and gender.
Uhh, it’s a Dungeon-running-murder-hobo-thingy. To “handle” something it has to have something to say, beside appealing and selling to as wide of a market as possible. It seems it didn’t manage to appeal quite enough to OP.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard