Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm holding off on any more play time until new melee classes added - Gimme Paladin, Bard, Monk or even Barb - Sorcerer has always been my least favorite class.

veteran
veteran
I heard a lot that meele classes are too depending on reactions ...

And while i can imagine that being true for Bard ... i cant find any cruicial rections for Barbarian ...
wich BTW seem to me almost same as battlemaster + rage ...
And rage seem ti be just one round buff that refresh itself if you give meele damage

In my honest opinion easiest class to implement.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Bard isn't really a melee depending on the build (Lore Bards play more like Wizards, while Valor Bards have a heavier emphasis on weapons and can double as a tank/archer), but they are definitely the caster most reliant on reactions.

They're arguably the most reaction-reliant class in DnD 5E, even more if said Bard decides to use their Magical Secrets to pick up reaction-reliant spells like Counterpsell. It's why once the devs implement proper reactions, everyone's expecting either them or Paladins to go along with it.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 12/10/21 07:43 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by organichilimango
I'm speculating here, but it seems this particular Sorcerer may also be a main nautiloid-type character, available for selection in the Camp.

I sorely wish that more companion options be added, though I agree with other posters that it probably won't happen yet.

So far, selecting 3 of the 5 available companions yields 10 total options. That may seem like a lot, but if you've tried every class and switched up the party every time, you've gone through 7 of those companion options. And it's not like swapping one companion for another makes a ton of gameplay difference.

I assume that's a major factor in the burnout the OP has been experiencing.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I assume the burnout also applies to the fact that out of the two (or three?) routes available towards Moonrise towers only one is currently implemented. I mean as far as I always understood Halsin, het mentiones the shadowland route (old risen road?) going over (the mountain pass) and under (the Underdark route). Could have misunderstood that part. But I kinda want to see them mountains and the shadowlands :O.

Last edited by Kimuriel; 12/10/21 09:46 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
I assume that's a major factor in the burnout the OP has been experiencing.
OP was talking about wanting to play Meele class instead of caster ...
That have nothing to do with amount of companions.

But since you started about it: laugh

We would hardly get Karlach sooner than when will she get proper class ... no matter if that will be Paladin, as her tag suggest (and i still believe she would be great Oathbreaker) ... or if she will end up as a Barbarian, as most people predict.
What puzzles me tho is why we didnt yet get that datamined Druid (Hella? Hellia? something like that) companion, or Minsc, since he is Ranger ...

And since those should be every Origin character in the game ...
I gues there really isnt much more to pick. :-/
Anyway i still hope we will get at least single Origin character per class ... it would be odd otherwise. :-/

Originally Posted by Kimuriel
I assume the burnout also applies to the fact that out of the two (or three?) routes available towards Moonrise towers only one is currently implemented.
As far as i know, none of them is implemented ... at least not yet.
At every point, when you reach the place where you would get loading ... the game ends with the same sentence "this area is not part of Early Acess yet".

The route Halsin mentioned as preffered one starts on other side of Ebony Lake ... since he specificly mentioned Dark Justicars, and in the end of cinematic you can see two statues of some guys with litteraly same armor as Shadowheart have ... i dare to say that would be best place to start looking. laugh
The second one is indeed shadowlands, you can enther there on west part of the map, somewhere between goblin camp and hag teahouse ... that is also mentioned by Halsin, but also preffered by Minthara, since she (resp. her i dunno, friend? companion? w/e ...) can provide you safe passage.
What puzzles me tho is Githyanki Creche ... since it should be accesible in north/west part of the map, but there you enter the Shadowlands as it seems ... im really looking forward for this. smile

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
I assume the burnout also applies to the fact that out of the two (or three?) routes available towards Moonrise towers only one is currently implemented.
As far as i know, none of them is implemented ... at least not yet.
At every point, when you reach the place where you would get loading ... the game ends with the same sentence "this area is not part of Early Acess yet".

The route Halsin mentioned as preffered one starts on other side of Ebony Lake ... since he specificly mentioned Dark Justicars, and in the end of cinematic you can see two statues of some guys with litteraly same armor as Shadowheart have ... i dare to say that would be best place to start looking. laugh
The second one is indeed shadowlands, you can enther there on west part of the map, somewhere between goblin camp and hag teahouse ... that is also mentioned by Halsin, but also preffered by Minthara, since she (resp. her i dunno, friend? companion? w/e ...) can provide you safe passage.
What puzzles me tho is Githyanki Creche ... since it should be accesible in north/west part of the map, but there you enter the Shadowlands as it seems ... im really looking forward for this. smile

Hmm, well the underdark route works, just not the actual moonrise tower bit, technically. But you can get to the boat that takes you there.

As for the Githyanki Creche, the exit towards the mountain pass is actually a little ways back from the one that takes you to the Shadowlands. It is a bit hard to find but there is a area transition specifically labeled Mountain pass, a little ways back from where you encounter the patrol at the bridge. You can also jump up the mountain a bit there, although there is nothing there other than a chest with some meh loot.

Last edited by Kimuriel; 12/10/21 12:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
OH i never noticed that there is some entrance!
I usualy use that place just for ambushing Goblins. laugh

Will check next patch. smile thanks for the tip!

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 12/10/21 01:18 PM.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree. I'm more interested what else will be in this patch. As with the druid, I don't care about the sorcerer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think Monk and Barbarians are coming when the different body types are coming.

Since both of these classes are on the more revealing sides we need to see them jacked like daddy Halsin
I want to see my monk grating cheese off their abs Larian. Swiss frigging cheese. Off. Their. Abs!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Yeah, the remaining melee classes simply aren't going to be released until Larian's answer to the reaction system is ready. The real window into the future of the game is not going to happen with this patch, it will be the one after this.
My thoughts exactly. With this release, Larian is essentially running out of excuses (regarding the reaction system, I mean). So the next patch... will tell us how good their engine's architecture is.
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Can it really be THAT hard to program that?
Unless their engine has been designed with a remarkable extensibility in mind, it is. Introducing a completely new concept into an existing solution (without breaking anything that already works, preferably) is usually much harder than writing the whole thing from scratch. That's why Tactical Adventures had no problems with reactions, and Larian does have. It's called "victim of past success": well received and sold game creates a strong incentive to re-use its assets as much as possible - even if you get square wheels in the end.

P.S.: Oh, and game engines are rarely designed to be extensible to such a degree. Designing such a thing is expensive, you see, and C-level suits don't like spending resources on things that aren't absolutely necessary right now. Who could have thought they will need reactions?..

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I hope so and thank you all very much!

veteran
veteran
I agree with you OP. I also want more melee classes.

And in my world, I would play classes such as cleric, druid, and bard as melee classes with their spellcasting ability decidedly secondary. I would hope the game facilitates such a playstyle.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am not happy. I have played all the generic characters to death.
I am tired and taking crap for having bros purchase this too early according to them....
Sigh.

Last edited by Deikon_AL; 16/11/21 08:28 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would have thought a monk and barbarian would be the easier of the classes to add. Monks in BG2 were super fun, just bolting around the maps exploding everything with a punch. POP, woosh, WHAM, whoosh, SLAP. I am the ChOsEn OnE! This before your caster casta single spell.

Ever since I watched Marco Polo I wanted to play Hundred Eyes in a BG game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
I would have thought a monk and barbarian would be the easier of the classes to add.
Agreed on Barbarian ...

But Monk seems tricky ... i mean how would you implement Deflect Misiles, or Slow Fall with curent reaction system? O_o

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
I would have thought a monk and barbarian would be the easier of the classes to add.
Agreed on Barbarian ...

But Monk seems tricky ... i mean how would you implement Deflect Misiles, or Slow Fall with curent reaction system? O_o

? Why would that be hard?

Slow Fall = Monk has feather fall as an active feature. Don't even bother making it a reaction, just a constant effect, whatever.

Deflect Missiles = two toggles, one to use a reaction to deflect/catch. And one to say if you catch a missile, then yes, you do want to spend a ki point to make a ranged attack. I guess the only difficulty here would be whether the system let you pick the ranged target or immediately picks the target for you by, for instance, throwing the arrow back at whoever shot it in the first place.

veteran
veteran
Im sory, but that just dont seem good enough. :-/
I mean ...

Slow fall ... permanent effect would be nice, but i dont believe Larian would approve. laugh
And make it skill you need to activate and then hope it will be used when needed, just as Hellish Rebuke just dont seem good enough. :-/

Deflect missiles ...
That is practicaly the same, its situational utility ... to make it automatic means to make it useless in many situations. :-/

Especialy since Swen himself allready told us that they are curently working on better reaction system. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Im sory, but that just dont seem good enough. :-/
I mean ...

Slow fall ... permanent effect would be nice, but i dont believe Larian would approve. laugh
And make it skill you need to activate and then hope it will be used when needed, just as Hellish Rebuke just dont seem good enough. :-/

Deflect missiles ...
That is practicaly the same, its situational utility ... to make it automatic means to make it useless in many situations. :-/

Especialy since Swen himself allready told us that they are curently working on better reaction system. smile

I'm not sure why Larian wouldn't approve of a permanent feather fall effect on the monk. That's basically what the slow fall power is. No need for a reaction, not really.

I'm not sure what you're saying about deflect missiles. I don't follow what you mean.

A toggle to catch/deflect missiles... that's not automatic, that's a toggle. It's either on or off, depending on your choice.

Then a toggle that says whether you're going to spend a ki point and make a ranged attack if you happen to catch a missile.

I suppose it would be nice if there were better options, and I hope Larian comes up with something grand. But in the meantime, I don't think the toggle solution is bad.

Better's always better, of course, but until then.

veteran
veteran
Its automatic, since that is what toggle is ...
Either its on, or its off ... but nothing in between ... you loose tactical option to decide if you wish to spend Ki point on this specific action in this specific situation ... either you had it on before and then you simply loose your Ki point automaticly no matter if you wish that or not ... or you had it off before and then you simply cannot use this option no matter if you wish that or not.

That is exactly what i hate with burning passion, on Hellish Rebuke ...
Im fightint Bugbear and spend my extremely precious Spell Slot on Warlock ... obviously hoping that this Bugbear will hit me and will get HARD revenge ... just to be hit by some stupid lowly common goblin (sometimes even with last single HP) and give him 2d10 damage as reaction ... in other words i just spend half my spellslots i had at disposal to give 1damage and waste up to 19. -_-
There is simply no way for you to plan this in any way, except killing every weak creature and then start focusing to Strong one with everything you have at your disposal ... and that is also bullshit, since its much faster, better and more effective to first kill the Bugbear with regular attacks and then mess with lowly insignificant goblins that give hardly 1/3 of his damage. laugh

This is something that is acceptable from amateur moder ...
But certainly not from "proffesionals". :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 17/11/21 07:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard