Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
A big thing about deflect missiles is that you should be able to throw the arrow at any target, not just the one who attacked you. Which is impossible with an automated reactions.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
A big thing about deflect missiles is that you should be able to throw the arrow at any target, not just the one who attacked you. Which is impossible with an automated reactions.

Sure, I agree. It would be nice. Until then, I just don't think it's the end of the world. I'm okay with the way it is now, and I'd be happy with something even better in the future.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Sure, I agree. It would be nice. Until then, I just don't think it's the end of the world. I'm okay with the way it is now, and I'd be happy with something even better in the future.
Yeah. Unlike counterspell/shield/absorb elements, nothing integral is lost if Deflect Missiles was a toggle. The monk probably wouldn't want to their reaction for a better opportunity, but simply deflect the first missile that came their way. Similarly, I (as a monk) probably wouldn't try to save my reaction for a possible Deflect Missiles if I was given the chance to AoO. So a first-come-first-serve toggle is mostly fine.

journeyman
journeyman
Umm "Automated"..But away from the joker I am it would make it a little too OP

We have a saying amongst PC users, Look after your PC ,and That's what I've done and I've maintained it for 20 years, this old PC has had 17 new Cards and 14 new Boards in it's time and it's still the same PC
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Im really curious about how will Larian implement deflect missiles for Elemental Arrows ...
I mean right now even if your enemy miss, you are surrounded by flames ... would that work this way even for Monk? Or will he be able to destroy enemy concentration with their own Arrow? smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
journeyman
HMM.. Tiefling monk?

We have a saying amongst PC users, Look after your PC ,and That's what I've done and I've maintained it for 20 years, this old PC has had 17 new Cards and 14 new Boards in it's time and it's still the same PC
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Im really curious about how will Larian implement deflect missiles for Elemental Arrows ...
I mean right now even if your enemy miss, you are surrounded by flames ... would that work this way even for Monk? Or will he be able to destroy enemy concentration with their own Arrow? smile

You do realise those arrows have a 60 litre tank on the tip hence the 20 meter radius of crap all over the joint? The tip of the arrow is a pocket dimension that allows the 60 kg arrow to be fired from a bow using Dr Who technology.

But seriously I thought the monk catches them for some reason.

veteran
veteran
Just for people's consideration and information during the discussion:
In core rules, the Monk's deflect missiles is a reaction, and they first attempt to reduce the damage, so the progression is:

- Roll to hit
- If hit then damage is calculated
- Then monk uses Deflect Missiles; reduces damage by their roll plus modifiers.
- IF damage is reduced to Zero, Monk catches projectile if they can reasonably hold it in one hand.
- IF monk catches projectile, Monk has the *Option* of spending a Ki point to immediately make an attack with the projectile at any other creature in range - including the original attacker if they wish.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
You do realise those arrows have a 60 litre tank on the tip hence the 20 meter radius of crap all over the joint? The tip of the arrow is a pocket dimension that allows the 60 kg arrow to be fired from a bow using Dr Who technology.

But seriously I thought the monk catches them for some reason.
I believe i can imagine that ...

Originally Posted by Niara
Just for people's consideration and information during the discussion:
In core rules, the Monk's deflect missiles is a reaction, and they first attempt to reduce the damage, so the progression is:

- Roll to hit
- If hit then damage is calculated
- Then monk uses Deflect Missiles; reduces damage by their roll plus modifiers.
- IF damage is reduced to Zero, Monk catches projectile if they can reasonably hold it in one hand.
- IF monk catches projectile, Monk has the *Option* of spending a Ki point to immediately make an attack with the projectile at any other creature in range - including the original attacker if they wish.
Question ...
I believe i do underatand the formulation reasonably hold it ... but just ro be sure is there option to wear a weapon but not actualy using it?
Just keep benefit from its enchantment but dont block both your hands.

I mean auntie is selling staff that gives you free resistance (i believe its 1d4 for saving throws if you are attacked and not wearing amy armor) wich is one of my favorite starting (and situational ... for example when you drunk Omeluum potion, or when you read necromany book ... another 1d4 to add to blessing is awesome) items for casters ... but i believe Monk (since its meele fighter) will really make it shine.

//Edit:
Like this:
[Linked Image from img0.joyreactor.com]

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/11/21 08:05 AM.

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from alchetron.com]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I believe i do underatand the formulation reasonably hold it ... but just ro be sure is there option to wear a weapon but not actualy using it?
Just keep benefit from its enchantment but dont block both your hands.

Generally speaking, no, but there are always exceptions.

Magic items, regardless of what they are, must be equipped properly to provide their benefit - so a shield that provides a passive magic effect of some kind must be actively wielded in one hand to provide its benefit, just as magic boots must be worn on the feet correctly to provide their benefit.

There will be exceptions - in particular, many wondrous items don't really have any particular 'position' they should be worn and can do their thing just by being on your person. A Luck Stone, is an example of this.

Some attunement items will grant their benefit as long as they're on your person and you're attuned to them, but if so, they will say so explicitly. Generally speaking, if an item or object is meant to be worn or wielded in a particular way, then it should be in order to grant any benefit.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I see ...
So i can only hope that quarterstaff will get Versatile attribute so my monk can keep one hand empty. Corect?

//Edit:
Incorect. laugh
Acording to this discusion: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/6d1h63/if_a_monk_uses_a_quarterstaff_with_2_hands_for/

Monk uses both hands only when attacking with quarterstaff ... so he can easily use all benefits ... 1d8 dmg, bonus unarmed strike (or flurry of blows), and deflect missile.
Thats a relief.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/11/21 01:38 PM.

veteran
veteran
Quarterstaves should absolutely have the versatile property, yes...

However (just to confirm and clarify the link), if it's about being able to have a free hand to do something, then you don't need to worry - two-handed weapons only need you to be holding them with both hands when you actually use them - you can take one hand off at any other time to, say, pull a lever, or possibly deflect a missile. A two-handing paladin does not have to put their greatsword away in order to do the somatic components of a spell - they can just take one hand off the sword temporarily while they're not actively swinging it about. By contrast, someone using a sword and shield cannot free up hand to pull a lever or the like without having to drop or stow something - but someone using a two-handed weapon (or a versatile one with both hands), and only a two-handed weapon, can temporarily free one hand to use it for other things, without having the use any part of their turn economy.

Last edited by Niara; 18/11/21 07:17 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Isn't a one handed quarter staff and eighth staff? Or a stick? smile

veteran
veteran
Well, since a quarterstaff is more or less analogous to a bo-staff, an implicitly one-handed shortened version would be a jo-staff ^.^

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ming! I must now make a sorcerer that looks like him! While singing Queen (of course). Lol

Last edited by timebean; 18/11/21 10:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by timebean
Ming! I must now make a sorcerer that looks like him! While singing Queen (of course). Lol

Is he a Red Wizard of Thay or an independent megalomaniac?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard