Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23
veteran
veteran
Ok. Again. What's your hope here? Are you trying to get them to recreate the whole game?

I like the game. I want them to finish it. Although I do think that it could use more BG elements, basically saying, "Get rid of the main antagonist and just make it a normal parasite and rewrite the whole plot" might mean the game just isn't for you. That's a bit extreme.

Besides, a normal parasite would literally kill you in hours after infection. Kinda lame game if you're no longer you after a short rest.

addict
addict
The point is to tone down the absurdness of the game.

This is dangerously turning into God of War 2 and soon we will have Selune, Shar, Bhaal, Mystra involved in a weird carnival.

Ceromorphosis can take up to 7 days and you could easily create a plot using the same idea of slowing its progression. Not that is feasible anymore.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

This is dangerously turning into God of War 2 and soon we will have Selune, Shar, Bhaal, Mystra involved in a weird carnival.

Ceromorphosis can take up to 7 days and you could easily create a plot using the same idea of slowing its progression. Not that is feasible anymore.

Absurdeness? Well we do talk about larian here. They tend to have a knack for exactly this. If you compare it to DOS2 it IS toned down.

Every story can be a good one, no matter how far over the top. I think though that the more absurd a storyline is, the harder you need to plot to make it good. Even if it is a fantasy setting, players need some logical threads to go by.

Take the Nautiloid crash: We get thrown out of a fast-moving ship, fall a pretty huge distance while the ship still moves away from us and.....end up right in the wreckage of said ship, saved by a higher power...yea, right. Why go through all this if they want us ending up near the ship anyway.
I would rather accept surviving said crash with 1HP and limping movement for a few steps (having been saved from certain death by our tadpoles) then this fall without moving and stopping right before earth stuff. Way more believeable imo.

Going on: Let us say our tadpoles stopped the fall to secure their survival, why the heck do they save us only once? We can die anywhere in this game, juming into the hole at the spider queen is pretty much the same situation but no stopping there. Why? Inconsistent.

And so on. A lot of pieces simply do not fit together very well. so they make up for a pretty brittle story. I sincerly hope they get this glued together later, otherwise we may end up with a b-movie type of game with lots of facepalm situations. Would make me sad.

I would love to see them change some things to get this on a more believable-unbelievable level (get a good author look over the story).

On the other hand i agree with GM4Him: We want the game to be finished, so a full rewrite will not happen anyway, just remove a few of the bigger kinks in the storyline.

addict
addict
Expecting a major story rewrite is fantasy. Even if Larian wanted to the amount of work in redoing numerous cinematics and voice acting would set the game's release date back a couple of years at least not to mention cost a fortune. It's just not going to happen.

addict
addict
A bit off topic and not really helping it feel more like BG/D&D but since we're talking about improving writing, there is some improvement needed in dialogues.

Just had a chat with Gale, right after our little "bonding with Mystra" and the first line available to me was: "I never realized it was so easy to cast magic"

Really?! My sorceress, who's been casting spells galore up till that point, have never realized how easy magic comes to her?! Gale even responds that since I'm a sorcerer it comes naturally to me. Come on Larian, you can do better than that.

I do realize that line is for non casters but still, since they obviously had Gale recognize our class in that conversation, it's such a silly mistake.

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 20/11/21 01:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
Oh there is MUCH MORE dialogues that would use adjusting than this one. laugh

Quick sumary here:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=741085#Post741085

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

Absurdeness? Well we do talk about larian here. They tend to have a knack for exactly this. If you compare it to DOS2 it IS toned down.

Every story can be a good one, no matter how far over the top. I think though that the more absurd a storyline is, the harder you need to plot to make it good. Even if it is a fantasy setting, players need some logical threads to go by.

Take the Nautiloid crash: We get thrown out of a fast-moving ship, fall a pretty huge distance while the ship still moves away from us and.....end up right in the wreckage of said ship, saved by a higher power...yea, right. Why go through all this if they want us ending up near the ship anyway.
I would rather accept surviving said crash with 1HP and limping movement for a few steps (having been saved from certain death by our tadpoles) then this fall without moving and stopping right before earth stuff. Way more believeable imo.

Going on: Let us say our tadpoles stopped the fall to secure their survival, why the heck do they save us only once? We can die anywhere in this game, juming into the hole at the spider queen is pretty much the same situation but no stopping there. Why? Inconsistent.

And so on. A lot of pieces simply do not fit together very well. so they make up for a pretty brittle story. I sincerly hope they get this glued together later, otherwise we may end up with a b-movie type of game with lots of facepalm situations. Would make me sad.

I would love to see them change some things to get this on a more believable-unbelievable level (get a good author look over the story).

On the other hand i agree with GM4Him: We want the game to be finished, so a full rewrite will not happen anyway, just remove a few of the bigger kinks in the storyline.
This is how I see it as well. So much needs to be changed/added/improved for this game to become a true "Baldur's Gate" game, which it most certainly is not at present. However, it is unrealistic to expect Larian will do any such thing. They are convinced they have all the (correct) answers, and it is up to us to get with their program and simply agree that their game is aces. I only expect marginal changes here and there to happen between now and full release. None of the truly major concerns so many people here and elsewhere have raised will ever be addressed, because to do so would be for Larian to have to admit they got something fundamentally wrong. And that is not something they ever do. But again, for no other reason than because "Baldur's Gate" is in the title of this game, I will continue to raise my concerns and provide my feedback, even if it all ends up being a completely futile and pointless exercise.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
No. I legitimately don't think some of what I'm hearing makes sense. I think, as I've mentioned, that a lot of the suggestions amount to really bad advice, and I think it needs to be challenged because I'm worried that Larian might actually go that direction if no one makes any counterpoints, and in my opinion, that would ruin the game.
Not quite. If anything, it is you and others like you who ALWAYS have Larian's ear. Larian literally made this game just for you. It is people like me and similar others who Larian doesn't appear to give a damn about, and whose voice very likely never gets heard within Larian's halls.

Last edited by kanisatha; 20/11/21 03:17 PM.
addict
addict
Fantasy is thinking Larian will not finish the game. This game will be done by 2023, regardless.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by JandK
No. I legitimately don't think some of what I'm hearing makes sense. I think, as I've mentioned, that a lot of the suggestions amount to really bad advice, and I think it needs to be challenged because I'm worried that Larian might actually go that direction if no one makes any counterpoints, and in my opinion, that would ruin the game.
Not quite. If anything, it is you and others like you who ALWAYS have Larian's ear. Larian literally made this game just for you. It is people like me and similar others who Larian doesn't appear to give a damn about, and whose voice very likely never gets heard within Larian's halls.

I think its just a case of Larian knowing what sells. It's their wealth and reputations on the line. They're trying to make money in an extremely competitive market, winning style points is secondary or lower.

E
addict
addict
E
They’d probably have been better off just making DOS:3 then, given the success of DOS:2?
I mean, it’s basically what they’ve done anyway grin

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
...and whose voice very likely never gets heard within Larian's halls.

Oh, I'm sure they hear plenty of voices.

It's just not always easy to respond diplomatically to someone whose big idea is to either remove the tadpoles or the Absolute. Personally, I don't even know how to humor that. In my opinion, it's not just a bad, dumb idea, it's actively harmful to the intellectual property.

I don't know if the suggestion is meant to be taken seriously or not. It doesn't feel like it's meant to be helpful, at least it doesn't feel that way to me.

But all I can do is accept it as someone else's subjective opinion, note my disagreement, and move on.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan
They’d probably have been better off just making DOS:3 then, given the success of DOS:2?
I am wondering if by working with WotC they gained addition budget to make the game bigger and better. Scale of BG3 is immense, and while D:OS2 did well, I can’t quite imagine it did that well. Then again Witcher3 is also bounds above and beyond of what CDPR was able to do in W1&2.

E
addict
addict
E
I’m certain that is the case. Given the scale of the game and the Intellectual Property behind it and the legacy of the previous games, Larian are taking a big step up.

Originally Posted by GM4Him
Ok. Again. What's your hope here? Are you trying to get them to recreate the whole game?

I like the game. I want them to finish it. Although I do think that it could use more BG elements, basically saying, "Get rid of the main antagonist and just make it a normal parasite and rewrite the whole plot" might mean the game just isn't for you. That's a bit extreme.

Of course it's too late for that. My personal feedback is more meant for future games.

Larian's writing and world building has already improved from DOS2 to BG3. In the next game it might be still better.

addict
addict
They more likely gotten additional budget from Stadia rather than WoTC.

If anything, they will have to share profits with WoTC.

But I am not sure if Larian will pull-off a comparable increase in sales as CDPR did with W3.

addict
addict

Why?

Just because some mechanics are the same doesn't make it DOS 3. They were pretty clear that they were going to be using the Divinity engine, expecting completely different mechanics seems unrealistic. The story/world are unique compared to DOS II.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
[quote=Etruscan]
Why?

Just because some mechanics are the same doesn't make it DOS 3. They were pretty clear that they were going to be using the Divinity engine, expecting completely different mechanics seems unrealistic. The story/world are unique compared to DOS II.

My point was mainly addressing you saying that Larian know what sells and and are trying to make money in a competitive market (that last point could be made regarding just about every business). I was being somewhat sarcastic when suggesting they make DOS:3 instead but truthfully it doesn't feel like a BG game to me, that's just how I have found it to be. I lost myself in the previous games, whereas BG3 just left me feeling disappointed. It's not just about the mechanics, it's a whole swathe of things that I really can't be bothered to list yet again.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
[quote=Etruscan]
Why?

My point was mainly addressing you saying that Larian know what sells and and are trying to make money in a competitive market (that last point could be made regarding just about every business). I was being somewhat sarcastic when suggesting they make DOS:3 instead but truthfully it doesn't feel like a BG game to me, that's just how I have found it to be. I lost myself in the previous games, whereas BG3 just left me feeling disappointed. It's not just about the mechanics, it's a whole swathe of things that I really can't be bothered to list yet again.

Fair enough, I never played BG1 and BG2 so have no opinion on how BG3 compares to them. I misunderstood your point. As far as why they didn't go DOS III (who's to say they won't at some point) I think they wanted entry into D&D in the hopes of expanding their reach. There are also more opportunities to produce additional D&D content by tapping into its wealth of lore compared to DOS II.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Oh there is MUCH MORE dialogues that would use adjusting than this one. laugh

Quick sumary here:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=741085#Post741085

Well, it is good for laughs at times. Every new playthrough i am very close to rather go facedesk than facepalm.

Who wrote some of those conversations? Even some 1on1 talks leave me openmouthed at how wrong they feel.

Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard