Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
Obviously these are homebrew lite, maybe even more along the lines of personal preferences or artificial difficulty leveling lol. I just find there is so much loot/potions/scrolls etc that when I followed the rules as to what I could carry most of it didn't get used in EA.

Personally I don't use the Revivy scrolls or Withers, if one of my party members dies they die. If its my character I start a new playthrough.

I don't bother with food, I find there are more than enough "camp supplies" to find/purchase.

One health potion max on each person at any one time, I allow a designated party member to carry one extra for emergencies. I find this usually enough given all the other ways one can heal. 3-4 other potions in a characters inventory max, none of which are resistance potions as I don't use them.

Max of 4 grenade type weapons per character

No weapon dipping

Members can only use spell scrolls for spells their class can use, again not a problem because of the sheer cornucopia of scrolls you can find in the game

Since all of EA has already been revealed in earlier playthroughs I now use a virtual D10 to randomize some choices I am presented with or alter who speaks for the party in given situations.

I don't collect or sell Goblin weapons, or strip armour from corpses (except Minthara's ...too cool).

No long rest unless entire area is cleared (ie if I fight the Red Caps I don't long rest before going after Ethel, a short rest is possible if she has bolted or I haven't encountered her yet).

If a character is using a two-handed weapon I don't allow them to carry a ranged weapon as well.

I only use shove if an enemy is smaller and on/very close to edge.

No jumping over enemies to gain advantage, or to escape surfaces.

I only allow Rogue to disengage even though all classes now have this ability

Only allow one attack from one hiding character at the start of any combat encounter, all other party members voluntarily reveal and join combat without attacking.

I really limit the amount of "bulky" loot that party members carry, usually one or two small - med weapons, one found (not stripped) armour etc. I know they are allowed to carry much more but I always find it silly looking. I have played around with the party carrying a "looter's trunk" filled with a few more items but I make who ever is carrying it drop it when combat starts. There are also some burlap sacks that can be picked up and I have played around with having players carry them containing a few looted daggers small swords, helmets etc.

Last edited by Ranxerox; 19/11/21 12:41 PM.
veteran
veteran
Doesn't policing yourself on so many things take the fun out of the game?

It does for me. Actually, I insist on playing a game with the rules provided. You can't police other people in multiplayer anyway and I like MP. So I shove and I dip and I stealth cheese even if I don't feel good about it.

It's also about playing a game as well as you can, mastering it so to speak. You can't master a game if it's so easy you have to impose restrictions on yourself. So while I can stealth shove everyone into a pit, it doesn't feel good or rewarding.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don’t make surfaces because I despise them.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't know it actually makes me laugh when I get hit with an arrow that splosh 20 gallons of acid around me, its just dumb. I just imagine a bathtub on the end of the arrow.

The only surface mechanics I use are grease. I don't use potions because I don't really need them with a healer that can prevent death with a bonus action 8 times with a full rest. The difficulty would skyrocket if your characters actually died outright instead of knocked down. Everything else dies at 0 hp why not you? This feels a bit weird to me.

I have to admit I shove alot just because I can rather than anything else. Same with sneak if i can get out of visual. I am interested on how Larian will introduce difficulty in the game, it could change the game so drastically and for the better in so many ways if dont right imo.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
About restrictions:
I strictly dont use Barrels, like ever ... with exception for tutorial final battle. laugh
I never use non-Wizard spell with my Wizard (or Gale), even tho i often learn them, not even as a scroll. laugh
I usualy dont use resistance potions ... but that is mostly bcs i usualy forget about them. laugh
Same goes with diping ... i almost never use it, since i forget quite often ... i do use poison for my rogue tho, so im sure how to count this point. :-/ I never dip from candle, bcs i find it ridiculous.
Back in the days when that was possible i never eated during combat, allways out of it.
I never inspect enemies before combat to find their weaknesses and adjust my gear for them ... i just go with my curent build and hope for the best. laugh
I rarely switch weapons back to meele after ranged attack so i can use AOO ... but that is usualy also bcs i forget.
I almost never throw potions, healing or other ... since i find that huge waste of action. laugh
Also alchemist fire or simmilar, but i usualy just forget on them. laugh
I rarely shove, since i like to have loot ... with exception for Crusher, him i shove allways. :3

And about homebrew:
I often position my party members for ambush, before i go to talk with some NPC (some would say metagaming, but i did that on my first play so ... w/e) if i get first in initiative, i often use option to freeze enemies in combat and sneak to better position.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by timebean
I don’t make surfaces because I despise them.

Found the drow!

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
I don't use barrels. (I still like having them around for the option to goof off and have fun.)
I don't dip.
I don't use scrolls that aren't class appropriate.
I don't have NPCs do things I don't think they'd do, like having Lae'zel give away her armor.
I don't transfer items (like potions) between characters during combat.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Doesn't policing yourself on so many things take the fun out of the game?

Not at all. I don't see it as policing but rather attempting to make it more challenging. As well if I ever found the need to go on a barrellmancy tear or shovefest it's always there for me.

Originally Posted by JandK
I don't have NPCs do things I don't think they'd do, like having Lae'zel give away her armor.

I agree with this, sometimes in a situation that is less clear I'll resolve it with a 1d10 just for further unpredictability. I rarely for example access Shadowheart's "guidance" (unless she is performing the task or interaction herself) saving it for occasions where she would potentially have strong motivation to use it.

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
My cleric:

1. does not use poison.
2. does not use barrels
3. will eliminate all slavers and slavers as his goddess is anti-slavery
4. clear the temples of evil creatures
5. does not kill animals if possible.
6. avoids unkind dialog options
7. Is not a bounty hunter, so quests to bring heads of various people and such is simply something he won't do.
8. Attempts to knock-out non-evil hostile civilians.
9. Does not kill children even evil monster children like goblins.
10. Will attempt to reason with drow npcs such as nere.

Last edited by SereneNight; 19/11/21 04:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
Fun to note that a lot of your restrictions are to not use larian's homebrew (or BG3s lack of rules).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 19/11/21 04:43 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I'd recommend reading the topic title and OP's post, before indulging the needs to argue, when the whole thread has one particular point. If you aren't one of the types of players that enjoy imposing rules to replays (eg. Nuzlocke and other variants for Pokemon games), then it's better to not hit the 'Post Reply' button, than to butt heads with personal grudges contrary to the sole point of the thread.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Fun to note that a lot of your restrictions are to not use larian's homebrew (or BG3s lack of rules).

Yes I generally don't make use of them, unless I feel like it. Having said that I understand why Larian is motivated to use them and respect their artistic license to do so.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Yes I generally don't make use of them, unless I feel like it. Having said that I understand why Larian is motivated to use them and respect their artistic license to do so.

Yeah I'm doing the same even if personnaly, I'd really like to use some of these homebrew.

In exemple dipping some arrows in fire and push ennemies in holes could be so cool !

I also avoid hiding too much and ambushing.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 19/11/21 05:08 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I rarely for example access Shadowheart's "guidance" (unless she is performing the task or interaction herself) saving it for occasions where she would potentially have strong motivation to use it.

That's a good one. It makes me think of something else. I won't let Shadowheart use any amulet with another god's name on it.

Like the Amulet of Silvanus or the Amulet of Selune's Chosen.

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
I personally find the game a bit more enjoyable with a few homebrew rules. It doesn't mean others can't enjoy what they want. When playing a cleric, I do attempt to adhere to some of the tenants of the belief system, inasmuch as I can. Obviously there are game limitations to what one can do, so I can live with it.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

Interesting...is it stable? I used a lot of mods with DOS II and was expecting to with BG3. I know Larian will support after full release but if something is working well now I would like to give it a try. Can I find this on Steam?

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:29 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
enthusiast
enthusiast
<Redacted>

Interesting...is it stable? I used a lot of mods with DOS II and was expecting to with BG3. I know Larian will support after full release but if something is working well now I would like to give it a try. Can I find this on Steam?

I don't think Larian is supporting mods on steam as of yet. I just looked on Nexus mods for you and didn't find a rebalanced package but there a bunch of mods for 5e spells, items, cantips and 5e short rest.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:29 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
<Redacted>

I don't think Larian is supporting mods on steam as of yet. I just looked on Nexus mods for you and didn't find a rebalanced package but there a bunch of mods for 5e spells, items, cantips and 5e short rest.

Larian won't provide mod support until after full release. Any and all modding efforts and support there-in is exclusively community driven at this point.

Most of the active modders hang out on the Larian discord, should you wish to talk with them or browse their most recent projects, wip sharings and showcasing there. Some modders such as the one for ImprovedUI has moved away from Nexus due to issues there and provide updates on GitHUb instead, so I believe Discord to be the place to be these days if modding or playing with mods is of interest. They usually post updates in the showcasing channel there.

<Redacted>

Quoted for you smile

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:30 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by The Composer
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
<Redacted>

Larian won't provide mod support until after full release. Any and all modding efforts and support there-in is exclusively community driven at this point.

Most of the active modders hang out on the Larian discord, should you wish to talk with them or browse their most recent projects, wip sharings and showcasing there. Some modders such as the one for ImprovedUI has moved away from Nexus due to issues there and provide updates on GitHUb instead, so I believe Discord to be the place to be these days if modding or playing with mods is of interest. They usually post updates in the showcasing channel there.

<Redacted>

Quoted for you smile

Thanks!

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:31 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
I never take Lae'zels armor either. I took Shadowhearts once for a picture, but gave it back to her. I think those two armors are special to those characters and it feels wrong to take them.
Apart from that, I always try to act, as my character would.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard