Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
The effect of frightened status is different.

Frightened status (RAW):
A frightened creature has disadvantage on Ability Checks and Attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.

The creature can’t willingly move closer to the source of its fear.

I believe BG3 forces frightened creatures run away and prevent them from using any action. (If they didn't change it recently.)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>
To pull this quote out, I approve of this phenomenon in games. There should be (optional) fights that you're likely to TPK on and have to reload, using foreknowledge to win. That's the beauty of rpg video games: character death doesn't mean you lose a character you were attached to. On a normal difficulty in crpgs, I expect this to happen maybe a couple times per act. If this doesn't ever happen, then the difficulty of the game is too low.

Menacing Attack
In BG3, against a single strong enemy, it's basically an auto-win if it hits (and the enemy fails its ST) since the enemy loses its turn and takes free damage. Then you use Menacing Attack on your next turn, repeating the process.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 10:59 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by zamo

Frightened status (RAW):
A frightened creature has disadvantage on Ability Checks and Attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.

I believe BG3 forces frightened creatures run away and prevent them from using any action. (If they didn't change it recently.)

Oh I see, yeah ok that makes sense. The status debuff Frightened - which doesn't specifically say it forces you to run away - assumes you would run which of course opens you up for AOO. They are literally using the spell Fear - which does force you to flee instead of just the debuff.

On balance I could see how they could imply that, and it does affect us the same way.

Blackheifer
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by zamo

Frightened status (RAW):

The effect I see when I use menacing attack, is a little visual effect around their head, and they stand in place cowering not being able to attack.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
The effect I see when I use menacing attack, is a little visual effect around their head, and they stand in place cowering not being able to attack.
Interesting. Maybe Larian changed it in a recent patch? I suppose it's slightly more balanced than the enemy also running away...

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
3) There is a Spear you can find that deals additional damage to enemies with multiple eyes and has a chance to blind them. You may have found it by now if you dealt with the owlbear.

Legitimate point, although, I only tried using the spear on a spectator once or twice, and it truly didn't seem to have very much effect at all worth noting; blinding the spectator (when it worked) didn't really inhibit it much. It certainly didn't stop its eye rays. On a related point, I'm generally not a fan of "Here's this overtuned fight, but here is also a special magical maguffin that is only going to be useful in this fight that will make it better." It's a cheap, dull and utterly uninteresting story mechanic and even worse as a combat device.

I got totally zapped in the underdark encounter with the specator and ditn't retry it, but there's another spectator, without drow support, near the cave of the Gnoll encounter. That's an easier fight which I completed successfully. And it' s also my feeling that the Vision-of-the-Absolute-spear did not seem to bring any notable advantage during the combat.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by ldo58
there's another spectator, without drow support, near the cave of the Gnoll encounter.
Seem like someone hit the wrong crate.
laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/06/21 09:58 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
7) Ending my turn with my ranged weapon in hand instead of my shield (if I have one) and melee weapon because 1) you don't get an Attack of Opportunity against another mob that moves past you or away unless you have a melee weapon equipped - and 2) a shield only protects you if you are holding it and not your ranged weapon- there is a little switch that lets you toggle what you are currently holding.
What's the current cost within the action economy for a ranged player to do this every round?

R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Prince Ibrahim
Speaking as a casual video gamer and hard-core D&D player, this game has too many "overpowered" encounters,...
Ibrahim

I kind of like going against opposition that is a little OP. It makes me use my brain instead of just running in and fireballing everything.

Once I started using the team as a whole and strategizing my attacks, everything went pretty smoothly and there wasn't a group I couldn't take. (except for the Gith - they just mopped the floor with me and danced on my innards)

In fact, I actually wiped out the entire goblin army in the courtyard with just my thief. It took me a couple of hours, but he got it done!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Full Bleed
What's the current cost within the action economy for a ranged player to do this every round?

None at all; it's completely free, unlimited and abusuable - not in a proper implementation of the rules, but in Larian's game at least.

stranger
stranger
I have found the combat challenging but not overwhelming. As combat is not real time strategy and planning is much more important than just charging blindly into battle. Case in point charging up to the druid grove puts one at a severe disadvantage as going to the top of the middle hill to perhaps "scout the area". Just having that high ground alone is more than enough to turn the tide on that battle.

Using other skills to avoid battle, or at least post pone it like in the Goblin Camp again does not cheese your way through, but all around is better play.....even if playing table top versions plowing through blindly get a party killed. Note also the opponents you are fighting are also seeking to take advantage of the battlefield.....using spells and powers to buff, taking the high ground, targeting explosive barrels near you etc...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard