Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kethlar #802085 25/11/21 07:44 AM
stranger
stranger
considering the spell is a cantrip and eventually we may see the bigby hand spells which doo allow for grapple, attacks hold and shove depending on the variation there is no need for the cantrip to have these abilities.

As far as opening things, retrieving items etc....make sense including throwing/pouring flask contents in combat or pre-combat. Admittedly the only time have used this was with the mushroom picker.

Kethlar #805633 14/01/22 03:26 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Just want to add my opinion on the current implementation of mage hand here, instead of creating a new thread:

I don't mind much that the hand can do things like shove people, which it cannot do per D&D rules as far as I know, although it is a cantrip, and shoving is very powrful at the moment because of the pronounced verticality of the game. Therefore mage hand shoving might be a little powerful? Food for thought.

I am however very disappointed that the hand cannot currently do the things it is mostly used for in actual tabletop sessions: opening chests and crates, and pulling levers. I really hope this will be changed, as it would add a lot in terms of options to creatively solve problems (e.g. opening trapped chests).

Originally Posted by BROttorney
The fact it it can't operate the crane/platform controls in Grymforge, or the lava wheel during the Grym boss fight is ridiculous!

these are great examples!

Last edited by Sigi98; 14/01/22 03:31 PM.
Kethlar #805649 14/01/22 07:44 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Why are there things that the mage hand can't reach? This makes zero sense unless what you're trying to reach is more than 30 feet from the caster. The hand floats! Let it do what it is meant to do. Honestly I would be happy for them to remove the offensive abilities like unarmed strike and grapple as the spell was never intended for those purposes. It can literally only pick up things that weigh 10lbs or less RAW. That means it has less than a 1 STR. It specifies in the spell description that it can't attack or activate magic items but any "interact with object" action should be viable including containers, etc.

WebSpyder #805654 14/01/22 08:15 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Why are there things that the mage hand can't reach? This makes zero sense unless what you're trying to reach is more than 30 feet from the caster. The hand floats! Let it do what it is meant to do. Honestly I would be happy for them to remove the offensive abilities like unarmed strike and grapple as the spell was never intended for those purposes. It can literally only pick up things that weigh 10lbs or less RAW. That means it has less than a 1 STR. It specifies in the spell description that it can't attack or activate magic items but any "interact with object" action should be viable including containers, etc.
+1 Mage Hand should be useful for interacting with objects, especially distant ones.

This is somewhat related to the Fly issue in BG3, but not exactly the same. With a flying character, players would expect to be able to manually move their characters in 3D which is a hardish thing to program. But Mage Hand? Not really. If it needs to elevate to pick up an item, the game can take care of that by moving the Mage Hand in a direct line (if possible) to the item and then back. I would guess that this is much easier to code than full 3D maneuverability by the player. Basically turn it into a slow projectile, pick up item, bring mage hand back, and deposit item in character's inventory.

You know what, Larian can even leave in its ability to attack/shove at this point. -1 STR is a -5 modifier, so sure it can make an attack/shove with a -5 bonus, at the cost of your Action of course.

Kethlar #805872 18/01/22 05:22 AM
veteran
veteran
I do not agree with the suggestion of making Mage Hand concentration. There are already a lot of other spells which require concentration. Even with the so-called combat applications which it really should not have in the first place, it's not powerful enough to deserve concentration. I would sooner get rid of all the combat applications to it before making it concentration, and I think that removing the combat stuff should probably be done anyway.

I do agree with the maximum range being from the caster, not as far as it can fly in one minute. It's not a scout.

In combat, the Mage Hand should have the same initiative as the caster. It should only be usable if the caster has a bonus action, and using the bonus action consumes the mage's bonus action. Obviously the programming side of that would be tricky to implement.

I think Mage Hand should have an Inventory which can hold exactly one item and that can weigh no more than what, 5-10 pounds at most. This lets you pick up a thing and move it. If the hand ends, the item drops on the nearest valid solid surface to the hand's last position (so you can't lose quest items into bottomless pits.)

Kethlar #805879 18/01/22 08:14 AM
veteran
veteran
What do you mean "making" it require concentration?
It does allready. :-/

About implementation ...
From my limited knowledge of coding i dare to say that there ahould be little difference between hand using its own or its owner action or bonus actions ...
The problem here would be to explain this to new player.
I mean yes there are tooltips but still some pepple will probably be confused. smirk

Agreed on initiative but that should aply on any and every companion without its own mind. In my opinion at least.

I like the idea with its own inventory too ...
I just wonder if carry weight should be the only atribute here ... i mean it seems weird to imagine Mage Hand floating around with 4 Leather Armors just bcs they "technicaly" weight less than 10 ... doesnt it?
I think it should also ne limited with single slot.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard