Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by gabrielled
Just checked on Kagha, as of the latest patch she's still a Level 4 Archdruid.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Ok, i stand corected ...
But is that really so huge problem? O_o

Plenty of discussion here has made it clear that this requires some explanation.

Astarion is a vampire spawn, which makes him significantly stronger and faster than your average adventurer. As an NPC vampire spawns start off with 82HP, has speed of 30ft, has natural AC of 15, and has damage resistance from bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing. He's on par with the bulette, hill giants, night hags, and elementals.
I dont really know what to say about this ...
NPC having different rules than players is kinda common stuff, so ... w/e i gues. laugh

NPCs under different rules? Sure. NPC as a standard being significantly stronger when even the PC says that the superior strength and speed are derived from the particular racial/status characteristic? No. That's like having all NPC elves to be able to use level 3 magic innately while your elf can't.

Shadowheart is the only one who is a big question mark, partly because of
an almost-confirmed theory that Shadowheart isn't actually a Sharran cleric
. Not sure how the levels translate, especially considering Shar's clergy and their philosophy. She very well may have been an initiate, the lowest in the hierarchy.
Since levels are just matematical expression of amount of combat/adventuring experience ...
I would dare to say that complete memory loss should be concidered equivalence of reseting to level 1.

She clearly didn't lose all her memories, as she can read and write, and has the pantheons down.

Originally Posted by GM4Him
Halsin is an accomplished healer. You can't be considered an accomplished healer at like level 5. He's a First Druid. You can't be a First Druid at level 5, and if you are, that's one lame Grove.

How can you even remotely think he's appropriately leveled? He can't even cast Greater Restoration or Mass Cure Wounds or even flipping Conjure Animals.

No. I will say. He is WAY too under leveled.
You are so focused on some "level number" that you lost any connection to that world. frown

No, this is a good point. Healers by definition should be able to cast a certain set of healing spells.

That said, I'm hoping this is just because it's EA and once they lift the level cap he'll be more like Level 10 at least. I'm also hoping Ragzlin will be more appropriately leveled as a Hobgoblin Warlord and Minthara and Kagha too. I think once they remove the cap, they can do appropriate levels for enemies, increase XP, and by the time you head into the Underdark you'll likely be about level 6.
I for the other hand hope they will keep this as it is now ...
I created my own Tav to play her adventure ... not to watch in some dark corner as "aproprietly leveled NPC" are fighting together, hoping that no AoE spelldamage gets too close to me, since i would be dead in blink of an eye. -_-

That's how most of RPGs work. If you are involved in a big fight as a paltry level 1, you duck your head and hope that you won't get murdered. Case in point: Gorion's Ward.

If they explained WHY we can't do the headbash method, then it would make sense. As of now the game universe is acting as if there's no such method, with Omeleum, Lae'zel, AND Gale about. Three people who know way more about ceremorphosis than an average mage in Waterdeep, one's an illithid himself, and no one says "hey what about this method?". The party's willing to talk to and drink weird concoctions from a goblin priestess so they're pretty desperate, but no one bothers to even ask about the method that seems pretty straightforward.
Cant you hear youreself?
Its not "method" its smashing your f*****g head with a f*****g hammer! :-/

Cant you just logicaly see how stupid it is? laugh

Nettie: I have to poison you, but fear not it would be painless.
Tav: You crazy?! Never!!!

Halsin: I smash your head with this HUGE rock and then we try to put it back together somehow.
Tav: Hells yeah! FInaly good solution.

I think it's because you aren't exactly well-versed in Realmslore that you find this idea crazy, but there are precedents that make it clear that Faerunians have very different views from us about pain and mortality. When Kelemvor ascended to godhood, he reformed the Fugue Plane and the City of the Dead to clearly reflect alignments and reward afterlife accordingly (which he soon discovered was a dumb idea). People, especially good-aligned, were throwing their lives away left and right, because they knew they were going to this awesome place filled with happiness and joy. Tormites willingly committed suicide during the battle in Tantras to fuel Torm's power. Ilmatari clerics regularly sacrificed themselves in various ways to aid the needy and the poor (and especially to protect people from Banites and on occasion, Loviatans). The martyred champions of Ilmater were those who sacrificed themselves and came back to life by various means, so it shouldn't be a novel concept for the party to know that resurrection and restoration are available as options. It would be crazier to accept a potion from a goblin than to go to a Silvanian druid who offers to reincarnate or resurrect the character, especially with the rather limited time window that they're given. It's better than one of the options they're given, which is die by Lae'zel's hand with no decent divine magic user in sight.

veteran
veteran
Plenty of discussion here has made it clear that this requires some explanation.
There was also plenty discussion about nothing. laugh
I would say amount of discusion on this forum is not relevant argument ... we are sometimes so bored so we are talking about military tactics and implementation of line made by two people. laugh

NPCs under different rules? Sure. NPC as a standard being significantly stronger when even the PC says that the superior strength and speed are derived from the particular racial/status characteristic? No. That's like having all NPC elves to be able to use level 3 magic innately while your elf can't.
Have you ever checked statistic of NPC in this game? laugh
In particular i would recomend to focus on things like Halsins HP ... Neere HP (and stats) ... and Githyanki patrol HP (and stats) ...

I would love to see you create the same. smile

She clearly didn't lose all her memories, as she can read and write, and has the pantheons down.
I never seen her write. O_o

No, this is a good point. Healers by definition should be able to cast a certain set of healing spells.
That is statement i have heard before ... what i would like to know is: Why?

I would agree with statement that healers should by definition be able to heal ... but nothing more.
Outlander with enough survival and medicine skills can patch you up using some berries, herbs and few tricks with sticks and bandages ... and that is healer enough for me ... even tho he never used any spell.

That's how most of RPGs work. If you are involved in a big fight as a paltry level 1, you duck your head and hope that you won't get murdered. Case in point: Gorion's Ward.
Cant say i care about "most RPGs" ...
Im here to discuss Baldur's Gate, and just bcs bzillion other games have to be boring from the start, doesnt mean that this have to be too ... and im glad it isnt.

I think it's because you aren't exactly well-versed in Realmslore that you find this idea crazy, but there are precedents that make it clear that Faerunians have very different views from us about pain and mortality.
There also are precedents that make it clear that death is something unpleasant and most people try hard to avoid it as long as possible.

Examples you can see in this game itself ...
Nettie tryes to kill you > you (and some of your companions) get rightfully pissed.
Arabella is killed by Kagha > her mother gets rightfully pissed.
Lae'zel offers to kill you > you refuse.
Minthara kills whole grove > Wyll gets rightfully pissed.
And bzillion others. laugh

I mean if people would be so cool about death in Faerun as you try to tell me, they would be quite cool with the fact that someone died around there ... he IS in better place now ... and if he isnt, he deserved it ... so what? laugh But that is not the case, is it? wink

When Kelemvor ascended to godhood, he reformed the Fugue Plane and the City of the Dead to clearly reflect alignments and reward afterlife accordingly (which he soon discovered was a dumb idea). People, especially good-aligned, were throwing their lives away left and right, because they knew they were going to this awesome place filled with happiness and joy. Tormites willingly committed suicide during the battle in Tantras to fuel Torm's power. Ilmatari clerics regularly sacrificed themselves in various ways to aid the needy and the poor (and especially to protect people from Banites and on occasion, Loviatans).
This all seems like fanatics giving their lives for greater cause ...
Nothing special even in our world ... yet it certainly isnt regular way to look at life and death.

The martyred champions of Ilmater were those who sacrificed themselves and came back to life by various means, so it shouldn't be a novel concept for the party to know that resurrection and restoration are available as options.
Since our party have countless potential chances to find out that when they get killed and ressurected the tadpole is still there ...
I dare to say they on the contrary can easily figure out that this option is simply not valid. wink

But i agree it would be GREAT if at least Gale, when he is ressurected and thanks you for that ... would say something like "shame it didnt push the tadpole out ... our brainbugs are indeed unusual specimen".
Or something like that.

It would be crazier to accept a potion from a goblin than to go to a Silvanian druid who offers to reincarnate or resurrect the character, especially with the rather limited time window that they're given.
I can agree on this ...

The problem is that there isnt any Silvanian druids who offers to reincarnage or ressurect the character. :-/
Most probably bcs he cant.

It would be awesome, to implement it as yet another dialogue trap, tho ...
All your party members get healed, they all go their own separate way ... and just few days affter a HUGE EXPLOSION cinematic plays ... since you didnt bother to search futher what is happening, since the only reason that forced you to do that was the tadpole ... therefore you didnt set back any plan the Absolute have ... and you (and countless other people) just died bcs of that. laugh
Game Over ... hope you happy you find your brilliant shortcut. laugh
That i would sign imediatly, to each their own. :P

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
OK. I do have a plot hole now that is bugging me. This one I can't reconcile.

Sussur Bark and Flowers. Completely shuts off magic. You're a sorcerer, and you are seriously effected by this because you've had this wellspring of magic in you your whole life. There is even a cutscene for it making a big deal out of how you can no longer sense magic at all. It's totally messing with you.

So what's the explanation for the Sharran/Netherese Shadow Magic? This I can't explain. If it is a total antimagic force field around you, shutting down all magic, your tadpole should suddenly be free to munch your brain and turn you into a mind flayer. The Netherese Magic would be shut off too which was keeping it in stasis. Therefore, you should feel it suddenly spring to life and start to work on your brain and conscious mind.

But no. Taddy is completely unaffected by antimagic, just like everything else. MAN! That's one powerful tadpole. Even antimagic has no effect on it.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Sussur Bark and Flowers. Completely shuts off magic. You're a sorcerer, and you are seriously effected by this because you've had this wellspring of magic in you your whole life. There is even a cutscene for it making a big deal out of how you can no longer sense magic at all. It's totally messing with you.

So what's the explanation for the Sharran/Netherese Shadow Magic? This I can't explain. If it is a total antimagic force field around you, shutting down all magic, your tadpole should suddenly be free to munch your brain and turn you into a mind flayer. The Netherese Magic would be shut off too which was keeping it in stasis. Therefore, you should feel it suddenly spring to life and start to work on your brain and conscious mind.

But no. Taddy is completely unaffected by antimagic, just like everything else. MAN! That's one powerful tadpole. Even antimagic has no effect on it.

The true resurrection spell Gale has and his ability to literally devour POWERFUL magic ended any chance of my brain doing mental gymnastics to immerse myself into BG3. At this point you would need to be the mental olympics decathlon gold medal winner just to forget about the plot inconsistencies never mind the black hole of lore abominations and we aren't out of act 1. Now enter the superpowerflower......Whahahaha

Technically it is magic that the tadpole uses to turn people into mindflayers so if you sucked the magic from one it would simply die or dissapear. Job done right? Narrr The flowers would quite literally kill the tadpole if it indeed has the power to remove an innate casters magic like a sorcerer.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
At this point you would need to be the mental olympics decathlon gold medal winner just to forget about the plot inconsistencies never mind the black hole of lore abominations and we aren't out of act 1.

Hahahahaahaha

Seriously, people expecting detailed explanations for BG3 will be extremely disappointed.

veteran
veteran

Maybe the flowers only work on the weave as opposed to shadow magic.

old hand
old hand
If you summon a sword made out of fire and walk into anti-magic field, your firesword ceases to exist. But if you create an ordinary sword with magic, it doesn't dematerialise just because you walk into an anti-magic field, it's just a physically ordinary sword and as such not affected. Only things that can be dispelled are, well, dispelled.

So if you want to explain it you could just handwave it with whatever changes the netherese magic did to the tadpole was physical and not just enchantments, so it physical state remains the same even when in an anti-magic field.

Or whatever.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
If you summon a sword made out of fire and walk into anti-magic field, your firesword ceases to exist. But if you create an ordinary sword with magic, it doesn't dematerialise just because you walk into an anti-magic field, it's just a physically ordinary sword and as such not affected. Only things that can be dispelled are, well, dispelled.

So if you want to explain it you could just handwave it with whatever changes the netherese magic did to the tadpole was physical and not just enchantments, so it physical state remains the same even when in an anti-magic field.

Or whatever.
I love how things start fit together once you ask how instead of why. laugh

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Have you ever checked statistic of NPC in this game? laugh
In particular i would recomend to focus on things like Halsins HP ... Neere HP (and stats) ... and Githyanki patrol HP (and stats) ...

I would love to see you create the same. smile

I have, obviously, since I listed the stats for Halsin's HP. I have no idea what Nere is, so that's difficult to suss out. Githyanki warrior and githyanki knights have their stats listed in the monster manual.

I never seen her write. O_o

She can at least read, which isn't something urchins can regularly do.

Cant say i care about "most RPGs" ...
Im here to discuss Baldur's Gate, and just bcs bzillion other games have to be boring from the start, doesnt mean that this have to be too ... and im glad it isnt.

I pointed out that Baldur's Gate 1 starts out EXACTLY this way.

I think it's because you aren't exactly well-versed in Realmslore that you find this idea crazy, but there are precedents that make it clear that Faerunians have very different views from us about pain and mortality.
There also are precedents that make it clear that death is something unpleasant and most people try hard to avoid it as long as possible.

Examples you can see in this game itself ...
Nettie tryes to kill you > you (and some of your companions) get rightfully pissed.
Arabella is killed by Kagha > her mother gets rightfully pissed.
Lae'zel offers to kill you > you refuse.
Minthara kills whole grove > Wyll gets rightfully pissed.
And bzillion others. laugh

I mean if people would be so cool about death in Faerun as you try to tell me, they would be quite cool with the fact that someone died around there ... he IS in better place now ... and if he isnt, he deserved it ... so what? laugh But that is not the case, is it? wink

When Kelemvor ascended to godhood, he reformed the Fugue Plane and the City of the Dead to clearly reflect alignments and reward afterlife accordingly (which he soon discovered was a dumb idea). People, especially good-aligned, were throwing their lives away left and right, because they knew they were going to this awesome place filled with happiness and joy. Tormites willingly committed suicide during the battle in Tantras to fuel Torm's power. Ilmatari clerics regularly sacrificed themselves in various ways to aid the needy and the poor (and especially to protect people from Banites and on occasion, Loviatans).
This all seems like fanatics giving their lives for greater cause ...
Nothing special even in our world ... yet it certainly isnt regular way to look at life and death.

The martyred champions of Ilmater were those who sacrificed themselves and came back to life by various means, so it shouldn't be a novel concept for the party to know that resurrection and restoration are available as options.
Since our party have countless potential chances to find out that when they get killed and ressurected the tadpole is still there ...
I dare to say they on the contrary can easily figure out that this option is simply not valid. wink

Even if the people who die willingly are crazy fanatics (they aren't, at least in Tantras they were ordinary people who lived there), there is still a high possibility that you'd take the headbash option, especially given the knowledge that

A. you might turn into a mind flayer any moment (as pointed out by Lae'zel)
B. You have no idea when this tadpole starts rampaging
C. Once the tadpole activates, you're definitely dead, and if you're neutral or good-aligned,
D. Once you're dead by the tadpole, it's likely you'd be the death of at least a few dozen people, if not more.

So either way, you're dead. With headbash you have the chance to come back without going through the agonizing transformation, in a controlled environment where there IS someone to bring you back.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
At this point you would need to be the mental olympics decathlon gold medal winner just to forget about the plot inconsistencies never mind the black hole of lore abominations and we aren't out of act 1.

Hahahahaahaha

Seriously, people expecting detailed explanations for BG3 will be extremely disappointed.

frown I know I know, stupid of me to expect a game company to take on one of the most beloved franchises of the past few decades and actually pay attention to the lore... I still wish they did.

At first I thought sussur bark was actually creating an antimagic field. Per the PHB - Page 117: "Antimagic Field ... Spells and other magical effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the sphere and can’t protrude into it. ..." So by that line of thinking, I figured the tadpole might fall into the exception.

However, a little more digging into Sussur Bark specifically and I don't believe it actually creates an anti-magic field. Rather it is a plant that has learned to feed on the specific types of magic abundantly available in the underdark. IE: Faerzress... which is in fact mostly limited to conjuration and divination magic. However if that is true, then spells belonging to other schools should still work. Hard to say if the final product will only disable those types of spells, or if they will go more the antimagic field approach. If the magic keeping the tadpolls in stasis turns out to actually be divine in nature, that might make more sense.

But yeah... ultimately, I don't think these things were thought out. The game has a number of plot holes... many mentioned in this thread. But so do most stories. One of my favorite is The Lord of the Rings.... Maybe one day BG3 will get its own "How it should have ended" skit and we will all sit back and have a good laugh.

veteran
veteran
She can at least read, which isn't something urchins can regularly do.
That depends ...
Do you know many urchins, that was picked, embraced and raised by secretive sect of fanatics, and then used as secret agent for some mastermind überimportant plan?
I mean just as many so we have some statisticaly wide enough group, to determine if readins is common knowledge among them. laugh

I pointed out that Baldur's Gate 1 starts out EXACTLY this way.
And i pointed out that personaly i dont care about other games ... if you want me to say it specificaly, then yes ... that includes Baldur's Gate 1. laugh
No matter how many (or wich) games did their start levels as "hide there and pretend you dont exist while big boys will deal with this" ... it still sucks. laugh

Even if the people who die willingly are crazy fanatics (they aren't, at least in Tantras they were ordinary people who lived there),
You realize this is just cultural right?
If majority of your country is fanaticaly religious, its your standard ... they become "normal ordinary people". laugh

I could try to find out examples ... but forum rules forbids talking about real politic, or religion ... so you would have to google yourself. :-/

there is still a high possibility that you'd take the headbash option, especially given the knowledge that

A. you might turn into a mind flayer any moment (as pointed out by Lae'zel)
B. You have no idea when this tadpole starts rampaging
C. Once the tadpole activates, you're definitely dead, and if you're neutral or good-aligned,
D. Once you're dead by the tadpole, it's likely you'd be the death of at least a few dozen people, if not more.

So either way, you're dead.
Cant help the feeling that option C is not complete. O_o

I think your knowledge is missing few important parts ...
A > As pointed by Lae'zel (and then confrimmed by Omeluum, Halsin and Ethel) you SHOULD HAVE allready start turning ... so your "any moment" is obviously not as "any moment" as it might seem in first few conversation on this topic in your party.
B > You do actualy ... since you have withnessed turning on board of Nautiloid, where conciderably big amount of Illithid (bio?)tech was present to allow that transformation ... since you are not around that kind of tech anymore, you can aswell easily presume that at least "fo far" you are relatively safe.
C > That much is true ... except is not a "once" but more like "if". wink
D > This one is completely true ... question is if your character even care. laugh

E > Once you meet Nettie, you also find corpse of Drow-Male that carried his own parasite ... that corpse dont have even the slightest signs of transformation ... and since he is dead for quite some time (and therefore was not on the Nautiloid) you can easily come to conclusion, that if this transformation was rather delayed than entirely stopped ... someone who was tadpoled before you, will also turn sooner than you ... and since this one was still quite fine, you are not in such hurry as you might think ... this theory is later prooven by existence of Edowin, Gut, Minthara, Ragzlin, Nere and Flind ... and also confrimmed by Halsin, Ethel and Omeluum.
F > There is no guarantee that smashing your help will help ... for one, as wiki said this must be done as soon as possible ... and by the time you get to the Grove, you allready have tadpole inside of you for almost a day ... by the time you would find Halsin (presuming the is the only one powerfull enough to offer you this option) you allready have it inside of you for at least few days ... so, this "method" for lack of better therm, would not be possible allready anyway ...
Also your tadpole problem is hardly ordinary one ... so same as ordinary transformation does not work ... we can say that ordinary methods of their removal would not ... Example and kinda proof is Ehel ... she said it herself, she allready helped few people with this problem in the past, but your tadpole is different. wink

G > Even if all abowe would be ignored and we would get the option ... the only possible outcome would be game over, since our companions no longer have litteraly any reason to stay with us ... and would no longer have litteraly any reason to stay here either ... especialy not go to Moonrise Towers. laugh

With headbash you have the chance to come back without going through the agonizing transformation, in a controlled environment where there IS someone to bring you back.
That is the problem ...
There ISNT (no matter how much caps lock we will be using laugh ) someone to bring you back ... you said it youreself, Halsin didnt offered to ressurect you. :P

In regards to the original post, I think the fact that we start the game with camp supplies, health potions and a revive scroll is just an EA thing to make playing/testing the EA version easier. Maybe something like that would be present when playing the easiest difficulty level, but I would like to think normal difficulty will have us start with nothing but the clothes on our backs and a weapon.... whatever we were holding when we got captured by the ships tentacles. I mean they have health fonts on the ship and a save/reload system. So why give us those things during the prologue? Take those scrolls away and that solves most the problem. But admittedly, I'm not sure how they will handle this in the final release. In regards to how I would handle it... I will make my own post as I don't want to hi-jack yours.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dheuster
but I would like to think normal difficulty will have us start with nothing but the clothes on our backs and a weapon....

I want a version where we start *Without* the clothes on our back, and one of our early sub-objectives is finding something to make ourselves decent... with amusing consequences and changes in the intro dialogues if you don't. But maybe that's just me...

Last edited by Niara; 28/11/21 02:15 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by Dheuster
but I would like to think normal difficulty will have us start with nothing but the clothes on our backs and a weapon....

I want a version where we start *Without* the clothes on our back, and one of our early sub-objectives is finding something to make ourselves decent... with amusing consequences and changes in the intro dialogues if you don't. But maybe that's just me...

Intriguing.... devil

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 28/11/21 10:14 AM.
P
addict
addict
P
My sorcerer is running NAKED in the woods. No robes, only mage armour and arcane focus!

veteran
veteran
I can imagine the dialogue...

Gale: Trying the fresh air unfettered today, I see?

1) Ah... I seem to have forgotten something, please excuse me!
2) [Druid] Oh. Clothing, right. Not in wildshape. I completely forgot.
3) [Barbarian] Clothing is for the weak! I want to let my enemies know true Glory before they die!
4) [Wizard/Sorcerer] Well, honestly, what was the point? It wasn't like it was doing me any good anyway.
5) [Draconic Bloodline] Dragons do not wear clothing! I'm at my best without!
6) [Monk] Garments are a material burden. To go without elevates the spirit. You should try it.
7) What? Don't you do this on laundry day too?
8) Don't look! I'll find something!
9) Hey! Eyes up! This is for me, not you.
10) [Deception] Tadpole made me do it? Watch out, it might be you next!
11) [Persuasion] I know you're loving this. Tell you what... I'll keep doing it, if you do the same around camp in the evenings.
12) [Panic and attack him]

veteran
veteran
You forgot, "My eyes! The goggles. They do nothing!"

enthusiast
enthusiast

3) [Barbarian] Clothing is for the weak! I want to let my enemies know true Glory before they die!
4) [Wizard/Sorcerer] Well, honestly, what was the point? It wasn't like it was doing me any good anyway.
6) [Monk] Garments are a material burden. To go without elevates the spirit. You should try it.
11) [Persuasion] I know you're loving this. Tell you what... I'll keep doing it, if you do the same around camp in the evenings.

Laughed pretty hard at this. Nice one! +1 laugh

veteran
veteran

Great list laugh

If i may add one easter egg :3
13 [Deception] Im just trying my new coat, its invisible for fools ... have you heard about those?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/11/21 01:13 PM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard