Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So... I recently acquired a D&D book titled "Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy". It details and updates the events of BG01 and BG02 for D&D 5th edition. Among the various NPCs avaiable there's an old acquaintance of BG players who might have something to do with the plot of BG3, masquerading as Lorroakan, a wizard who's already been mentioned more than a few times in the new game...

Let me say I don't like what they did with most of the NPCs from the BG games in the tabletop version starting with that Abdel Adrian nonsense but this development could be interesting, especially in consideration of Minsc inclusion into the game.

(Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy)
In many ways an archetypal Red Wizard, Edwin Odesseiron is an exceedingly arrogant conjuration mage hailing from the eastern nation of Thay. He originally traveled west to the Sword Coast on a mission to kill the Rashemi Wychlaran Dynaheir, both as part of a personal rivalry and under orders from his superior Red Wizards. Once his mission was accomplished, and Dynaheir was dead, Edwin remained on the Sword Coast in order to build up his own personal power without the oversight of the Zulkirs of Thay.

While Edwin had a falling out with the Red Wizards of Thay some time ago, he managed to repair the relationship by delivering one of the Nether Scrolls to the ruler of Thay—Szass Tam. His short time studying the Nether Scroll resulted in some calamitous results, but one of the spells he learned imparted him with the longevity of an elf.

While Edwin will often return to his homeland of Thay, he can most often be found in the city of Baldur's Gate. He has recently taken over Ramazith's Tower and adopted the identity of Lorroakan, the young mage who formerly lived in the tower (now dead by Edwin's hand).

Despite his inarguably high intelligence, Edwin seems to lack common sense. As a result, his grand schemes and power grabs are typically undone by his own hubris and oversights. Edwin almost universally treats others with disdain, openly insulting his "lessers." As much as Edwin detests those he views as his inferiors, he gets along no better with his betters. (His envy of the legendary wizard Elminster Aumar is particularly venomous.) Edwin has a simulacrum of himself that he uses to augment his power or send into dangerous situations. Since he doesn't respect the intelligence of anyone other than himself, he often finds himself engaged in conversation with his simulacrum.

Last edited by Tulkash01; 07/12/21 03:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
Yeah, it's worth considering. However, it's not very clear at the moment how official this content is, in regards to it's canonicity. I did some minor googling after the last time it was brought up here and put in question, and here's what the deal seems to be: It's published by WotC, sure, but not made by them (though apparently it was written by one of the original creators of the BG games?) which on it's own wouldn't be enough to raise doubts since they outsource all the time, but it's front lacks the typical labels associated with official content that normally marks all official material. It was also released as part of a charity stunt, as I understand it, which means it could be of less weight to them rather than a deliberate creation.

I'll guess we'll find our eventually wink

Optimistically Apocalyptic
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
It does perfect sense though, and it would explain why an apparently insignificant mage from Baldur's gate gets to be part of at least 2 plot elements in early access (Tiefling wizard apprentice and more importantly the "Finding the Nightsong" questline) besides being mentioned by Gale as worth visiting when you reach Baldur's Gate.

Last edited by Tulkash01; 07/12/21 07:46 PM.
old hand
old hand
There's no such thing as an insignificant wizard.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai
There's no such thing as an insignificant wizard.

+1

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
An arrow to the chest at lvl 1 says otherwise...

:P

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard