Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CMK Offline OP
OP Offline
I get the level cap has to be somewhere but there is clearly content that should get you well beyond level 4 (to lvl 6 at least), being stuck at level four makes some of the fights very difficult if not impossible to do (the fight against Nere for example is damn near impossible at lvl 4).

In the next patch I'd like to be able to advance past lvl 4. (Also being able to take the other 2 paths as an option would be nice)

Now, I am sure there are players who have completed the fight I am complaining about at lvl 4, but I am having a devil of a time (maybe my group comp plays in to it I dunno). So, before I get half a dozen posts from people saying "Well I completed it!" I just want to say yipee skipee for you! I still would like to be able to go higher than lvl 4 and have all that XP I am getting post lvl 4 count for something...

M
stranger
stranger
M
The lvl 4 cap actually made me stop playing the game. There's just too much D&D experience that starts at lvl 5 that I was really hoping for, and without it I just lost interest. Also learning that the entire game is going to be capped at lvl 10 is a bit of a let down. That just tells me there'll probably be paid DLC that will be implemented for higher levels.
Oh. Joy.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MrBionic
Also learning that the entire game is going to be capped at lvl 10 is a bit of a let down. That just tells me there'll probably be paid DLC that will be implemented for higher levels.
Oh. Joy.
This is no longer true. Swen/Larian said that the level cap would be higher than 10. How much higher? No one knows. Likely level 12 or 14.

Also one of the best things about Larian is that they don't carve out content to put in a later DLC. In fact it's the opposite - they have a history of giving out free DLC.

Edit: But yeah, +1 to higher level cap (at least in EA). Level 5 is hugely important for many classes and will vastly change the balance of fights.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 11/12/21 08:16 PM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
If i had to gues why are we limited to lvl 4 ... there are two aspects:

Early Aces aspect:
At first at least i dare to say that since we dont even have all spells for levels 1-4 ... (for example ... shield)
So ... i dare to say that they probably didnt have level 5 even prepared for us. laugh

Full Game aspect:
While for level 4 some fights are really hard (but not impossible, sorry) ...
Many combats would be ridiculously trivial for level 5 ...
As it was few times mentioned around here ... party with two, or three casters able to use Fireball, would probably be able to obliterate whole Goblin Camp within single round. laugh

But its true that level 5 is one of bigest requests from comunity and even Swen in penultimate(?) Panel From Hell litteraly said that talking about level 5 started.
Not sure how he meaned it tho ... the exact words were "The jury is still out on that wheter or not we're gonna put level 5 in Act 1 so if you keep asking hard enough maybe one day that is going to happen."
Notice that he dont say "early acess" but "Act 1". wink

(time: 2:09:55)

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
journeyman
journeyman
Well, that's all kind of disheartening. I just figured the L4 cap was just an early access restriction. I didn't think it would be for the final release.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Its still possible that he either expressed himself poorly ... or i undertanded it wrong. smile
But this is what i hear in those words.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by jfutral
Well, that's all kind of disheartening. I just figured the L4 cap was just an early access restriction. I didn't think it would be for the final release.
That's just an early access restriction.
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Its still possible that he either expressed himself poorly ... or i undertanded it wrong. smile
But this is what i hear in those words.
You understood him wrong.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
Is this based on something specific, or is that just your opinion?

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Zellin
Is this based on something specific, or is that just your opinion?
This is based on what people were asking in the chat back then. Swen practically used "Act 1" as short for "the part of the game that is available in the early access".

As my own opinion: try to imagine how ridiculous it will look if at full release we will be capped at level 4 till we move on to Act 2. It would be normal thing if they would just put no more than enough EXP for level 4 in Act 1, but that's not the case already.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Probably because larian couldn't code and debug the level 3 spells quickly enough for early access given the scope of the narrative permutations they are trying to implement.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
@RagnarokCzD
It seems that jfutral misunderstood what was being said about the lvl 4 cap. Then you were confused because jfutral was confused.

@jfutral
From what we know, the level 4 cap is here for early access so as not to reveal too much of how the game will play after act 1.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
This is based on what people were asking in the chat back then. Swen practically used "Act 1" as short for "the part of the game that is available in the early access".
I was not aware of any questions ...
Swen litteraly just said "i see a lot questions about level 5 there" so i presumed there was more and probably different.

As my own opinion: try to imagine how ridiculous it will look if at full release we will be capped at level 4 till we move on to Act 2. It would be normal thing if they would just put no more than enough EXP for level 4 in Act 1, but that's not the case already.
Depends ...
They can also change the XP gain during Act 1 ... that is something that was allready suggested few times ... personaly i hope they dont tho. :-/

And also ... XP are not the only possibke reward for us.

veteran
veteran
They'll do what they did for D:OS2, of course. What else would they do?

There will be a soft level cap per act, after which your XP gain will slow dramatically - so it will be quick and easy to get to the level cap for the act no matter how you play through it, but it will still be possible to get to the next level or two if you really scrape hard for XP - however, doing so won't help you MUCH, since there will be a similar soft cap in the next act.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Seems acceptable to me. O_o

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
They'll do what they did for D:OS2, of course. What else would they do?

There will be a soft level cap per act, after which your XP gain will slow dramatically - so it will be quick and easy to get to the level cap for the act no matter how you play through it, but it will still be possible to get to the next level or two if you really scrape hard for XP - however, doing so won't help you MUCH, since there will be a similar soft cap in the next act.
They really did that? That's garbage.

It's manipulating the player. No matter what you do, you will still be exactly the level they want you to be when they want it. So why create the illusion of linear experience points in the first place? They might as well scrap the concept of XP altogether and just give you a full level-up whenever they think it's "time". The end result would be the same without the unnecessary charade of accumulating XP.

Why punish a player who is being thorough by soft capping their XP? They could just add a creature or two to an encounter if the party is over-leveled. But I guess Larian want to reinvent the wheel and turn it into a square wherever possible.

journeyman
journeyman
Cool. I hope 4 isn't the cap. But even BG1 had a level cap of 7, IIRC, so this is not unprecedented for the franchise.

Joe

veteran
veteran
Cool. I hope 4 isn't the cap. But even BG1 had a level cap of 7, IIRC, so this is not unprecedented for the franchise.
For the whole game - no. Max level achievable in 1.0 will be somewhere above 10.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Wormerine
For the whole game - no. Max level achievable in 1.0 will be somewhere above 10.

The question would WoTC/Larian allow a full level 20 build in BG3 with all the DLCs? Or they going after BG4?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
As far as i know, there are no DLC planned curently.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
The question would WoTC/Larian allow a full level 20 build in BG3 with all the DLCs? Or they going after BG4?
Nothing has been announced regarding future DLC plans, nor a sequel.

Traditionally, Larian doesn't do DLCs - what they did in D:OS1&2 is to continue working on the game after release, porting it to consoles, and releasing free "Definitive Edition", with improvements and extra content. BG3 at release might be missing some expected features like DM mode, so that is also something Larian might want to spend their time on post release. That said, it is a bit of a different project then D:OS1&2 - it's not crowdfunded, so budget might be a bit more flexible, and they have WotC backing - and with a massive development team, it is not impossible, that they could find enough people to work on new sellable post release content, while still pursuing their expected goals. That said, Larian's RPG being one price complete experiences from the get go, has been something I have been appreciating a lot.

As far as sequels, Larian seems to favour stand-alone titles. If they do BG4 I doubt it would be a direct sequel, like BG2 was. That said, if they did a follow up, and kept the engine, they could reuse the work they did for BG3 and add more classes/subclasses and more levels.

Anyway, that's all speculation. WIth how much work Larian has ahead of them, I would be surprised if they were thinking that much ahead. They tend to be throwing all they have into each project that they work on. Worked our really well for them so far.

Last edited by Wormerine; 16/12/21 02:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard