Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Multiplayer Etiquette in Baldur’s Gate 3 – or Why I learned to Fear Self-Narrators.

I have hosted well over 100 games. Below is my takeaway.

DO

-Discuss what kind of game you are playing beforehand, spicy, or laid back. What kind of party will you be? Heroes, Murdohobo’s, hoboheroes, Murderheroes, or Pacifists? Are we roleplaying? Killing all Companions (yes please!).

-Discuss what classes you are each playing. Not roles, just classes. 5E doesn’t really relegate people to roles.

-Make sure you have a good microphone and headset that doesn’t echo when other people speak and picks up your voice clearly.

-Make sure you have a direct connection to the internet and recently reset your router, do not use wi-fi if it can be avoided.

-If you plan to continue your adventures with a good group then create a save file (if hosting) with the names (discord, steam) of all players. Create a Discord group with those players to plan for future sessions.

-Mark your items you want sold as Wares (shift-left click). If you can, move them to the seller’s inventory.

DON’Ts

-DON’T Self-Narrate – I have run into people in this game who must narrate everything they are doing. It is the most socially inept, narcissistic, and boorish thing another player can do. This is not to be confused with discussing the game, the systems, or other topics which everyone can be a party to. Self-narration is not anything anyone else can contribute to. This is the number one RED FLAG for someone you DO NOT want to be grouped with. You can usually catch this in character creation and end the game then.

-DON’T Take forever to take a turn. Honestly, I get you have new players and there are slow games for new players and that’s fine if its stated. However, you should always try to take your turn in a timely manner, and don’t wait until your turn to figure out what you are planning to do. Less than 30 seconds should be the standard here. I try to aim for 10-20. Occasional exceptions for complicated maneuvers are understandable. This can really bog down a game and players will start to leave. Funnily enough it's usually the self-narrators who take the longest because they are too busy self-narrating to think until their turn arrives.

-DON’T discuss politics/religion. Period!

-DON’T take things from other people’s inventory without asking/informing them. .

-DON’T run off and abandon everyone else without discussing it with the group. The point is to play together. If you are doing a short side mission alone, say something to your team.
Also DON’T run off and gobble up all the best items for yourself. Rude!

Last edited by Blackheifer; 15/12/21 12:17 AM.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
Why is self narration so bad? How should players communicate what they’re doing?

Last edited by Flooter; 13/12/21 02:37 AM. Reason: OP answered my original question in their post

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
Here's another don't:

-DON'T tell people how to play a game. If you don't like how they're acting, don't play with them smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
Why is self narration so bad? How should players communicate what they’re doing?

Self narration is incessant communication of every little thing a person is doing. It is non-stop babble. it is the opposite of communication. It doesn't tell you anything worth knowing.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Here's another don't:

-DON'T tell people how to play a game. If you don't like how they're acting, don't play with them smile

I am specifically not telling people how to play the game, but what sort of things I have observed that can ruin multiplayer play sessions. This is about discord etiquette.

Oh and all the people who behave this way have been blacklisted. Nobody will play with them. grin grin

I didn't get the sense you played with other people Bob, has something changed?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
I'm totally a solo player, you're right there. I can imagine how the things you mentioned would be annoying, I was being half serious. I'm curious though, what do you mean by self-narrate? are we talking "I'm going to attack this person with this spell"? or "my character is thinking about how angry she is about the tieflings and how she's going to stand up for..blah blah blah"?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I'm totally a solo player, you're right there. I can imagine how the things you mentioned would be annoying, I was being half serious. I'm curious though, what do you mean by self-narrate? are we talking "I'm going to attack this person with this spell"? or "my character is thinking about how angry she is about the tieflings and how she's going to stand up for..blah blah blah"?

No, it's more of a stream of consciousness kind of continual narration without pause. There are a few bits of useful information in there but they are rendered useless by all the other babble. it happens enough that I have to wonder if it's caused by social isolation due to COVID. People who do this have a tendency to talk over everyone else, interrupt other people and answer questions not addressed to them. It's extremely annoying and exhausting to deal with.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Multiplayer Etiquette in Baldur’s Gate 3 – or Why I learned to Fear Self-Narrators.

DO

-Discuss what kind of game you are playing beforehand, spicy, or laid back. What kind of party will you be? Heroes, Murdohobo’s, hoboheroes, Murderheroes, or Pacifists? Are we roleplaying? Killing all Companions (yes please!).

-Discuss what classes you are each playing. Not roles, just classes. 5E doesn’t really relegate people to roles.

-Make sure you have a good microphone and headset that doesn’t echo when other people speak and picks up your voice clearly.

-Make sure you have a direct connection to the internet and recently reset your router, do not use wi-fi if it can be avoided.

-If you plan to continue your adventures with a good group then create a save file (if hosting) with the names (discord, steam) of all players. Create a Discord group with those players to plan for future sessions.

-Mark your items you want sold as Wares (shift-left click). If you can, move them to the seller’s inventory.

DON’Ts

-DON’T Self-Narrate – I have run into people in this game who must narrate everything they are doing. It is the most socially inept, narcissistic, and boorish thing another player can do. This is not to be confused with discussing the game, the systems, or other topics which everyone can be a party to. Self-narration is not anything anyone else can contribute to. This is the number one RED FLAG for someone you DO NOT want to be grouped with. You can usually catch this in character creation and end the game then.

-DON’T Take forever to take a turn. Honestly, I get you have new players and there are slow games for new players and that’s fine if its stated. However, you should always try to take your turn in a timely manner, and don’t wait until your turn to figure out what you are planning to do. Less than 30 seconds should be the standard here. I try to aim for 10-20. Occasional exceptions for complicated maneuvers are understandable. This can really bog down a game and players will start to leave. Funnily enough it's usually the self-narrators who take the longest because they are too busy self-narrating to think until their turn arrives.

-DON’T take things from other people’s inventory without asking/informing them. .

-DON’T run off and abandon everyone else without discussing it with the group. The point is to play together. If you are doing a short side mission alone, say something to your team.

Although if Larian can develop the technology that would allow me to send "small" electric shocks to other players I feel we could really curb this behavior.

Even if i agree to certain little things to a degree, after reading this, you are on my list of people i do never, ever want to play with. Even thinking of hurting other people because some of their behavior does not suit your playstyle puts you in some dark corner of humanity.

It's really hard not write more without typing something i would regret, maybe. But this had to be said.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil

DO

DON’Ts

Although if Larian can develop the technology that would allow me to send "small" electric shocks to other players I feel we could really curb this behavior.

Even if i agree to certain little things to a degree, after reading this, you are on my list of people i do never, ever want to play with. Even thinking of hurting other people because some of their behavior does not suit your playstyle puts you in some dark corner of humanity.

It's really hard not write more without typing something i would regret, maybe. But this had to be said.

I was kidding obviously. The truth is we all have a lot of fun and joke around constantly. The solution we have come up with is to put together a separate discord server for us and for people who have a good sense of humor, good teamwork, and respect for those around them.

In a small group a single person can ruin the fun quickly.

Example, we started playing a game the other day and someone - without being prompted - went off about how LGBT people had a disease and so on. Came out of nowhere, we ended the run.

I have edited the original post so as not to cause you further emotional upset.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 15/12/21 12:18 AM.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast

DO

DON’Ts

I was kidding obviously. The truth is we all have a lot of fun and joke around constantly. The solution we have come up with is to put together a separate discord server for us and for people who have a good sense of humor, good teamwork, and respect for those around them.

Example, we started playing a game the other day and someone - without being prompted - went off about how LGBT people had a disease and so on. Came out of nowhere, we ended the run.

That you were kidding was clearly not obvious. And, sorry to say, your original post was a far shot from beeing respectful. You are issueing orders on how to play with you on an open forum. This was not phrased as an opinion nor as a suggetion to things maybe better avoided when playing with strangers.

You even used red tint and CAPS to emphasize that.

A lot of those things should be mentioned to said players personally and in your game (respectfully ofc), not on an official suggestion forum for the game. Why i think that?

Here is the answer: Have you ever even thought about the fact that there maybe people out here who actually like some of that behavior? Who like to play in groups that do exactly what you do not?

All in all in my opinion, if you wanted to make a post about how to play together better, your wording was not well chosen.

Only thing that i read out of that was a post from someone who wanted to tell the community how annoyed he was that people joined his games were not behaving like he wanted them to be. So he had to tell everyone how to do it right. See something? wink

(the electroshock "joke" was just a topping)

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 15/12/21 10:10 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

That you were kidding was clearly not obvious. And, sorry to say, your original post was a far shot from beeing respectful. You are issueing orders on how to play with you on an open forum. This was not phrased as an opinion nor as a suggetion to things maybe better avoided when playing with strangers.

A lot of those things should be mentioned to said players personally and in your game (respectfully ofc), not on an official suggestion forum for the game. Why i think that?

Here is the answer: Have you ever even thought about the fact that there maybe people out here who actually like some of that behavior? Who like to play in groups that do exactly what you do not?

All in all in my opinion, if you wanted to make a post about how to play together better, your wording was not well chosen.

Only thing that i read out of that was a post from someone who wanted to tell the community how annoyed he was that people joined his games were not behaving like he wanted them to be. So he had to tell everyone how to do it right. See something? wink

Again, this all comes from experience. I've never met anyone who enjoys being in a discord with that sort of thing, except the person actually doing it - but again i don't think they are aware, nor can they be made aware of the problem.

Also I don't think compulsive behavior can be 'enjoyed' - I was a Raid leader in Vanilla WoW long enough to see how little people enjoyed being subject to compulsive needs.

I have gotten enough complaints from other players - who are the majority here - about not wanting to group with certain people and it always comes down to one of the items on this list.

I do have to ask, do you even play multiplayer? I just get the sense that you are speaking from idealism and not actual pragmatic experience.

Or maybe you are one of the people that does this and you have found yourself unwelcome in groups - and after a long conversation with yourself - decided it was everyone else's problem.
laugh

Or, benefit of the doubt, you think there is a roleplay aspect to this that we are not appreciating. I can assure you that is not the case.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 15/12/21 12:01 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Seems legit to me ...
One person states who he dont want to play with ...
Second person states he dont want to play with first person ...

Nobody (maybe them included) cares ... whats the harm? laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast

Again, this all comes from experience. I've never met anyone who enjoys being in a discord with that sort of thing, except the person actually doing it - but again i don't think they are aware, nor can they be made aware of the problem.

Also I don't think compulsive behavior can be 'enjoyed' - I was a Raid leader in Vanilla WoW long enough to see how little people enjoyed being subject to compulsive needs.

I have gotten enough complaints from other players - who are the majority here - about not wanting to group with certain people and it always comes down to one of the items on this list.

I do have to ask, do you even play multiplayer? I just get the sense that you are speaking from idealism and not actual pragmatic experience.

Or maybe you are one of the people that does this and you have found yourself unwelcome in groups - and after a long conversation with yourself - decided it was everyone else's problem.
laugh

Or, benefit of the doubt, you think there is a roleplay aspect to this that we are not appreciating. I can assure you that is not the case.

After reading this, i don't think you even understand what i am trying to say. Or you do not want to because you only see your aspect, which would again make it a topic for your multiplayer group, not one for a feedback and suggestion forum for the game. You make assumtions on my motives and expierience evne though you
mask by putting it in a question. Nice one. You are talking about compulsive needs of others and fail to see your own it seems.

You are entitled to your own preferences, as is everyone else. So play with the people you like to play with and don't put up rules for others on how to play the game or behave while playing it. You can do that in your personal space as i mentioned a few times before. Or try to use better wording and phrasing. Even then
it is not the right place for this post. If you had written this in "general" or "off-topic" i would not even have replied.

Obviously this "discussion" is going nowhere, so i go with Ragna and stop caring, guess thats for the best.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
After reading this, i don't think you even understand what i am trying to say. Or you do not want to because you only see your aspect, which would again make it a topic for your multiplayer group, not one for a feedback and suggestion forum for the game. You make assumtions on my motives and expierience evne though you
mask by putting it in a question. Nice one. You are talking about compulsive needs of others and fail to see your own it seems.

You are entitled to your own preferences, as is everyone else. So play with the people you like to play with and don't put up rules for others on how to play the game or behave while playing it. You can do that in your personal space as i mentioned a few times before. Or try to use better wording and phrasing. Even then
it is not the right place for this post. If you had written this in "general" or "off-topic" i would not even have replied.

Obviously this "discussion" is going nowhere, so i go with Ragna and stop caring, guess thats for the best.

Ah-soo, it is as I thought. You are not one of the Multiplayer horde, you just saw something, decided to get offended and made sure you expressed that.

I just think your time could be better spent elsewhere - I am sure at this moment there is a Dave Chappelle joke out there that you could be trying to cancel. :P

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast

Ah-soo, it is as I thought. You are not one of the Multiplayer horde, you just saw something, decided to get offended and made sure you expressed that.

I just think your time could be better spent elsewhere - I am sure at this moment there is a Dave Chappelle joke out there that you could be trying to cancel. :P

Again,

assumtions based on what you think is right. This is pointless.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
[quote=UnknownEvil]

Again,

assumtions based on what you think is right. This is pointless.

Well again, this would fall to you to explain your position, which you have failed to do. I am not psychic. No one is.

In future if you have an objection I would invite you to better articulate that.

I would also invite you to make sure you have a common frame of reference with the other person - which you don't have. Said another way, I don't think you have the foggiest clue what the hell I am talking about because you have exactly zero experience in multiplayer, leadership or dealing with difficult players.

This compulsive self-narration is a new thing - in all my years as a Raid lead - dealing with 40 person groups together in discord I have not seen anything quite like this. Although it's likely that dealing with 4 person groups may be a contributing factor - an individual would not get a chance to behave that way in a 40 man group, the raid itself would shut them down, they would be quickly told not to talk over the raid lead and then muted (I had people to handle that sort of thing while I set up groups and provided instructions).

It was my hope to see if anyone else was experiencing something similar but I don't think anyone else hosts as much as I do.

So "thanks for your contribution."

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow, just wow.

what do i have to proof? You are stating thing you assume. by what you write you clearly must be a psychic, since you know all about my playing expierience, Leadership expierience or dealings with other people. Wonder how you know that. In addition to that, you are totally ignorant of what i said it seems.

Most of what i said relates from simple common sense and doe not even has anything to do with expierience. I have my own thoughts about you but it is not really my style to start writing as if i know you. I know what you answered and that is enough for me.

That's why i called this pointless since you do not even try to understand my point of view. You are trying to strenghten your point not by argumenting but by trying do discredit me. Shown by suggesting about my expierience (which you know nothing about), My leadership skills (which you also know nothing about)

and my expierience with other players (which..oh wonder..you know nothing about). Next thing you say is that "you do not think that anyone hosts as much as you do". By that you try to put yourself above all others. Kind of reminds me of your last president.

It was fun as long as it lasted but this is getting tedious.

In one thing we agree, my time IS better spent elsewhere.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Wow, just wow.

what do i have to proof? You are stating thing you assume. by what you write you clearly must be a psychic, since you know all about my playing expierience, Leadership expierience or dealings with other people. Wonder how you know that. In addition to that, you are totally ignorant of what i said it seems.

Most of what i said relates from simple common sense and doe not even has anything to do with expierience. I have my own thoughts about you but it is not really my style to start writing as if i know you. I know what you answered and that is enough for me.

That's why i called this pointless since you do not even try to understand my point of view. You are trying to strenghten your point not by argumenting but by trying do discredit me. Shown by suggesting about my expierience (which you know nothing about), My leadership skills (which you also know nothing about)

and my expierience with other players (which..oh wonder..you know nothing about). Next thing you say is that "you do not think that anyone hosts as much as you do". By that you try to put yourself above all others. Kind of reminds me of your last president.

Instead of clearly explaining your experience and thoughts you complain that I don't understand you - and you use a lot of words to do it. This is extraordinarily funny to me.

I mean it confirms my assessment, but it's pretty funny. Also, am I detecting just a hint of "tall poppy syndrome" in there?

By the way, how do you misspell 'Experience' FOUR times in a row?

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow, just wow.

Instead of clearly explaining your experience and thoughts you complain that I don't understand you - and you use a lot of words to do it. This is extraordinarily funny to me.

I mean it confirms my assessment, but it's pretty funny. Also, am I detecting just a hint of "tall poppy syndrome" in there?

I did. You just ignore it. And ofc i use a lot of words. Ususally works to not be misunderstood. You seem to be an exception.

That you think this funny and reference to the "tall poppy syndrome" underscores pretty much all that i thought and wrote, thank you for that.

And since you now start using a typing error to get the upper hand in this discussion, shows pretty clearly what kind of person you are. I am not a native english speaker and have been writing experience like this since...always. Thanks for pointing it out, even though

the way you did it was petty.

Your answers go in a direction that i do not really care about anymore. You are resistant to arguments and pretty ignorant to others opinions. So i will stop answering here. You can now gloat on your "I am right" or i "have won thoughts". Have a cookie!

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 17/12/21 08:14 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
[quote=UnknownEvil]

I did. You just ignore it. And ofc i use a lot of words. Ususally works to not be misunderstood. You seem to be an exception.

That you think this funny and reference to the "tall poppy syndrome" underscores pretty much all that i thought and wrote, thank you for that.

And since you now start using a typing error to get the upper hand in this discussion, shows pretty clearly what kind of person you are. I am not a native english speaker and have been writing experience like this since...always. Thanks for pointing it out, even though

the way you did it was petty.

Your answers go in a direction that i do not really care about anymore. You are resistant to arguments and pretty ignorant to others opinions. So i will stop answering here. You can now gloat on your "I am right" or i "have won thoughts". Have a cookie!

Ok, have a lovely day! It's been funny.

Blackheifer

Link Copied to Clipboard