Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Some semblance of reality grounds fantasy and allows you to connect with it. Too much reality and it becomes no fun.

Reality is the oil to the machine which is a tabletop gaming campaign; some gears require only a little lubrication while others demand a high degree of greasing. However, there comes a point - and it varies in each instance - where an excess of oil gums up the works.

apprentice
apprentice
Lubrication is important, but too much of it will ruin the fun. I agree.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Disintegrate spell? Violates the conservation of mass. UNREALISTIC.
Titanic insects? Violates the Square-Cube Law. UNREALISTIC.
Storm giants? Violates the Square-Cube Law...again. UNREALISTIC.
Humanoids that live for several centuries? Violates the Hayflick Limit. UNREALISTIC.
Humans being interfertile with completely different species? Violates basic biology. UNREALISTIC.
Adventurers traveling for weeks on end without explicitly taking time to excrete waste? Violates basic biology...again. UNREALISTIC.
Adventurers spending tens of thousands of gold coins without devastating local small-town economies? Violates basic economics. UNREALISTIC.
Adventurers freely conversing with all manner of royalty in every population center they come across without suffering any consequences? Violates rules on decorum/protocol. UNREALISTIC.
Citizens who are terrified of dragons and fiends yet completely accepting of draconic bipeds and devil-spawn? Violates basic psychology. UNREALISTIC.
Citizens easily losing to one-on-one combat with moggies? Violates common sense. UNREALISTIC.

+1
In action RPG like diablo you killed gazillions number of monsters alone. UNREALISTIC

Perhaps there are motives behind people who trying to use realism as scape-goat for censoring of stuff. yall know what i'm talking about.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
Perhaps there are motives behind people who trying to use realism as scape-goat for censoring of stuff. yall know what i'm talking about.

why do i get the feeling "woke" is a common word in your vocabulary?

old hand
old hand
By the way, "lithe race with unusual strength" is by no means a recent trope as far as D&D is concerned: on average (and more so in other settings), elves are both shorter and slimmer than humans and yet they do not suffer an inherent penalty to Strength.

veteran
veteran
I know it's been mostly covered, but I'm just going to put it out there that even within humans, in our world, you have people who are both deceptively strong and deceptively weak, for their apparent size and build - it's not as much variance as you find in completely different species, but even among you humans you find folks with differing muscle densities, enough to make a visible and unexpected difference. It's no big reach to imagine that gith have above-human-average muscle density, in the long run.

(The "lithe race with unusual strength" goes back at least as far as tolkien elves, but I'm sure it goes back further than that too ^.^)

enthusiast
enthusiast
By the way, "lithe race with unusual strength" is by no means a recent trope as far as D&D is concerned: on average (and more so in other settings), elves are both shorter and slimmer than humans and yet they do not suffer an inherent penalty to Strength.
They did in the older rules, though it was -2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity. Halflings and gnomes were on the -2 Strength side of things.

Nowadays implying that a fantasy race may have certain physical and mental predespositions based that contributed to their development as a species or are a result of divine/otherwordly influence and can be in certain ways inferior or superior to others is seen as a capital offense, though. Then again... why would humans be, on average, more intelligent than dwarves or halflings (racial +1 Intelligence) if the point was to erase inferiorities?

Going dangerously off-topic and touching a... touchy subject here, so I'd rather not delve any deeper.

Last edited by Brainer; 29/12/21 12:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Brainer
They did in the older rules, though it was -2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity.

I was referring to their ability to exert force (Strength), rather than their health (Constitution). As a matter of fact, in 2e, the player of a Warrior class that chose Elf as their race was just as capable of rolling an 18 for Strength and then rolling for Exceptional Strength as a player that chose Human.

addict
addict

I was referring to their ability to exert force (Strength), rather than their health (Constitution). As a matter of fact, in 2e, the player of a Warrior class that chose Elf as their race was just as capable of rolling an 18 for Strength and then rolling for Exceptional Strength as a player that chose Human.

In first edition rules, there were min and max values of each ability score for each race.
And they vere even genderdependent. crazy
So a male elf could indeed get up to 18 STR max, but a female elf only up to 16 STR.
(Imagine that, today)

I can't imagine this rule was applied much by DM's. It kind of breaks the fantasy aspect.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ldo58

In first edition rules, there were min and max values of each ability score for each race.
And they vere even genderdependent. crazy
So a male elf could indeed get up to 18 STR max, but a female elf only up to 16 STR.
(Imagine that, today)

I can't imagine this rule was applied much by DM's. It kind of breaks the fantasy aspect.

-2 is massive in old school D&D; that -2 should have been a -1 at most.

enthusiast
enthusiast
-2 is massive in old school D&D; that -2 should have been a -1 at most.
In 3e it was due to how the modifier mattered more than the value, so the -2 to the ability score was effectively -1 to the modifier. It was then that they did away with the "set the ability score X to Y" items and effects in favour of bonuses (+2, +4 and so on) only to go back to the original idea in the end with 5e, even though they kept the modifiers.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Umbra
She's NOT HUMAN.
It is necessary to look at the Body Mass Index of other characters who are human or semi-human. Hmm.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This topic has become HOT, with over 70,000 hits from Google. Excellent SEO!
A lot of people are looking for information about normal body mass index, anorexia, eating disorders. When they follow the link, they first think that Laezel is a real person, and then it is discussed whether the weight of 45 kg is normal

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
This topic has become HOT, with over 70,000 hits from Google. Excellent SEO!
A lot of people are looking for information about normal body mass index, anorexia, eating disorders. When they follow the link, they first think that Laezel is a real person, and then it is discussed whether the weight of 45 kg is normal

It's an unfortunate waste of people's time and attention; the character isn't real and this board isn't focused on nutrition/health.

old hand
old hand
SEO?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai
SEO?
Search Engine Optimization

issuance of this topic on certain requests

Last edited by OneManArmy; 23/01/22 02:46 PM.

veteran
veteran
Disintegrate spell? Violates the conservation of mass. UNREALISTIC.
Titanic insects? Violates the Square-Cube Law. UNREALISTIC.
Storm giants? Violates the Square-Cube Law...again. UNREALISTIC.
Humanoids that live for several centuries? Violates the Hayflick Limit. UNREALISTIC.
Humans being interfertile with completely different species? Violates basic biology. UNREALISTIC.
Adventurers traveling for weeks on end without explicitly taking time to excrete waste? Violates basic biology...again. UNREALISTIC.
Adventurers spending tens of thousands of gold coins without devastating local small-town economies? Violates basic economics. UNREALISTIC.
Adventurers freely conversing with all manner of royalty in every population center they come across without suffering any consequences? Violates rules on decorum/protocol. UNREALISTIC.
Citizens who are terrified of dragons and fiends yet completely accepting of draconic bipeds and devil-spawn? Violates basic psychology. UNREALISTIC.
Citizens easily losing to one-on-one combat with moggies? Violates common sense. UNREALISTIC.

This was amazing. Thank you. I went down a multi-hour knowledge hole with this post.

Blackheifer
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This thread has garnered over 100k views, almost like the party size discussion thread. People from all over the world are worried about Laezel and her problem.

I hope the developers will tell if Laezel suffers from eating disorders, or is it the physiology of the Githyanki. I think both - a female githyanki warrior could weigh.. hmm.. 50-55 kilograms, but not 45. Laezel is depressed, she considers herself an unworthy daughter of Vlaakith?

[Linked Image from gameinformer.com]

Last edited by OneManArmy; 30/01/22 09:11 PM.

old hand
old hand
Dude, stop.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard