Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#805088 07/01/22 08:18 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
As we all know we are currently capped at level 4. What do you think we would reach if the level cap was removed if we completed everything so far?

enthusiast
enthusiast
There are mods out there that remove the level cap. One of them (called Expansion) adds 5th and 6th level features, and 3rd level spells.

veteran
veteran
Depends ...

Most people guess (some even claim that they counted it, but i still believe they just guessed) level 7 ...

But i was told that Larian in DoS (i didnt play them) implemented something like "soft cap" ...
Wich means that once you reached desired level for certain Act, your XP gain dramaticaly slowed down ... it would mean something like:
You kill a Goblin ... gain (dunno, just for example) 50xp ... you ding level 4 ... you kill another goblin ... you gain 5xp ...
In that case i would say we will not get much futher than half the way to level 5.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 07/01/22 10:52 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I played the last time with the Levelup mod and reached whopping level 8. The mod worked really well for most classes (warlock had a bug, where you were able to select 8 spells at level 7 or 8, but since you mostly use Hex and Eldritch Blast anyway, that didn't botehr me too much)

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fylimar
I played the last time with the Levelup mod and reached whopping level 8. The mod worked really well for most classes (warlock had a bug, where you were able to select 8 spells at level 7 or 8, but since you mostly use Hex and Eldritch Blast anyway, that didn't botehr me too much)

I used to use the LevelUp mod, but it conflicted with the 5e Spells mod too much. At the time I could only get Fireball and Cone of Cold working. Flaming Sphere was bugged, and several spells from the 5e Spells mod were missing. The 5e Spells mod is imo the best BG3 mod on Nexus, and a must have. They work better together now, from what I read. But Expansion is by the same author as 5e Spells and Sorcerer Subclasses mods, and they all work together well. It does only go to 6th level though.

Last edited by Merlex; 08/01/22 09:00 AM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Cheers everyone. About the Mods. I have downloaded both the 5e Spells and Expansion Mods but I cannot get them to work. Can anyone give me a guide for idiots?

journeyman
journeyman
Please describe what you've done so far. It's hard to say what the problem might be when all you have is "it doesn't work". What mod manager are you using? Did you install all the prerequisites listed on the mod pages? Are you running any other mods that might be in conflict? In which way do your desired mods not work? Do they crash the game, refuse to show up in class/spell selections, are certain features inactive, something else?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for your offer to help MrToucan.

What I have done so far:
Downloaded the 5e Spells Mod, the Expansion Mod as well as the corresponding script file. I have placed the .pak files into the Mod folder along with the script file which is also a .pak file. From there I opened the BG3ModManager program which showed the 2 Mods and said that the script file needed to be added. I tried to use the Export to Order button but nothing seems to have happened.

journeyman
journeyman
It's no problem, and thank you for clarifying.

Firstly, you haven't mentioned doing it, so make sure to install the Patch 3 Mod Fixer. Don't look at the title, you need this file for most mods to work on the current patch. Just drop it into the Mods folder with the rest of the .pak files. You will also need to install the Improved UI mod for Expansion to work (this one needs to be activated through the mod manager, described below).

Secondly, if you're using BG3 Mod Manager, here's how to make things work:
1. Drop the .pak files of your mods into the Mods folder.
2. In the mod manager, you have two panes: Active Mods on the left, and Inactive Mods on the right. At first, all your mods will be shown on the right. Move them to the left by drag-and-dropping them.
2.5. Some mods need a specific order to work properly. For your setup, #0 Improved UI, #1 5e Spells, and #2 Expansion should work fine. You can rearrange the mods by dragging them.
3. Save the load order. This can be done either through the ribbon menu by going File->Save Order, or by pressing Ctrl+S. When the order is saved, a green message should appear at the bottom of the manager.
4. Launch the game.

Provided all the prerequisites are installed and the mod order is saved, you should be getting the new spells and class features at character creation.

Last edited by MrToucan; 08/01/22 11:57 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Baldrick
Cheers everyone. About the Mods. I have downloaded both the 5e Spells and Expansion Mods but I cannot get them to work. Can anyone give me a guide for idiots?

1. Open your mod manager.
2. Load the profile you are using.
3. Drag the mods from right to left. *Note: the mod author recommends putting 5e Spells at the bottom.
4. Next to Load Order (Current) click the icon: "Save Load Order to File".
5. To the right of that, it says: "Export", click "Export Order to Game".

You also need the Patch 3 Mod Fixer (also on Nexus) and LuaScripts (same mod page as 5e Spells) in your Mod Folder. All my mods work find together.
Here is my mod load order:

1. Improved UI
2. Dodge Action
3. Expanded Backgrounds
4. Custom Races
5. Ritual Spells
6. Custom Lineage
7. More Feats
8. Feats Extra
9. CustomLineageMoreFeatsExtra (allows for selection of feats from the More Feats and Feats Extra mods, at 1st level for the Custom Lineage mod)
10. Expansion
11. Expansion Rogue (keeps the Thief subclass Larian's way. Expansion changes it to 5e rules, shitty Fast Hands feature).
12. Sorcerer (subclasses)
13. 5e Spells

Originally Posted by Baldrick
Thanks for your offer to help MrToucan.

From there I opened the BG3ModManager program which showed the 2 Mods and said that the script file needed to be added. I tried to use the Export to Order button but nothing seems to have happened.

Ignore missing script file message, it's a bug on Larian end. It's irrelevant, but you still want it in you mod folder. Sounds like you are missing the Patch 3 Mod Fixer, without it no mods will work.

Edited to add: Oops, looks like MrToucan beat me to the mod fix file.

Last edited by Merlex; 08/01/22 02:38 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
MrToucan, Merlex, thank you both very much. This idiot was able to follow your guides with success wink

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
But i was told that Larian in DoS (i didnt play them) implemented something like "soft cap" ...
Wich means that once you reached desired level for certain Act, your XP gain dramaticaly slowed down ... it would mean something like:
You kill a Goblin ... gain (dunno, just for example) 50xp ... you ding level 4 ... you kill another goblin ... you gain 5xp ...
In that case i would say we will not get much futher than half the way to level 5.

They could do that, but then I guess it wouldn't be 5E rules at that point. The best solution would be to limit encounters and quest rewards to the expected level gain desired. Can't say x creature is worth 20 exp, then simply change the rules because they are inconvient and still say your using those rules. That's extreme laziness of the part of the devs.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dustmen
They could do that, but then I guess it wouldn't be 5E rules at that point.
True ...
But looking at chromatic orb im not honestly quite sure if they care. laugh

Originally Posted by Dustmen
The best solution would be to limit encounters and quest rewards to the expected level gain desired.
But that would create another problem ...
Either you would need players to do everything ... in order to get level you want them to have ... or there would be too huge gasp between copletionist and casual. :-/

Since people around here allready said that they managed to reach level 8(!!!) just durin Early Acess that dont give us even whole Act 1 ...
You can easily end up in simmilar situation as Dragon Age: Inquisition had ... where last two locations was litteraly wasted bcs you allready had the lvl cap. :-/

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
CRPG without levels sounds pretty risky to me. Modern Fantasy might get away with it tho, like if Witcher 4 was without level, it wouldnt be so big deal. Baldurs Gate is old-school IP too.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 13/01/22 12:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX
Witcher 4
Its allways pleasure to meet another time traveler. smile
Set your chronometer on 2022 tho, you seem to be a little ahead. wink

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX
like if Witcher 4 was without level, it wouldnt be so big deal.
If The Witcher 3 was a level-less system, that would just make it a better game.
Same incidentally goes for Cyberpunk 2077, but then again that's quite possibly the last of its problems.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
D
addict
addict
D
The mod "Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition" removes levels from Witcher 3. I am going to wait until something similar is out for Cyberpunk to play that again.

It would be a bit off if by the end of Act I you reach level 8... (which is the case apparently if you follow the rules), and then you only have a couple level to get for each following act ?

Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
It would be a bit off if by the end of Act I you reach level 8... (which is the case apparently if you follow the rules), and then you only have a couple level to get for each following act ?

Yeah, if the max level is going to be 12. It feels like we would be able to reach that at the end of act two, maybe even in the middle of it. Going by the current progression curve.
Not sure I would like going in to act 3 already at max level.
Maybe they'll add some kind of soft cap for the amount of XP you can get per act. Not a pretty solution to the issue though...

Last edited by Peranor; 17/01/22 08:48 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I cannot imagine how anyone has reached level 8 with what is available so far. I'm getting to level 5 as I enter the Underdark having done everything (I think) above ground as well as the spiders below. And I am still level 5 having done everything in the Underdark prior to travelling to Grimforge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard