Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The game features many types of alcoholic beverages, wine, and so on. But there is no weed. Why?

At the same time, in many RPG games there are drugs in the game besides alcohol. For example, Skooma and moon sugar in The Elder Scrolls.

In our society, marijuana has long been legalized in a number of countries such as Canada, the USA, some European countries, and so on.

Would it be possible not to drink wine in the romantic scene with Shadow Heart, but smoke weed?

[Linked Image from d.radikal.ru]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
S
addict
addict
S
Honestly, I highly doubt that there is any political reason behind that. They probably just haven't thought about it, or have decided that they are not putting it in because they put their resources into the rest of the game.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Where is the fun if its legalized? I personally think this is too old stuff. Sex stuff never gets old, you always get some action if you say Girls Butt is too big, etc.

If I was Larian. I would remove Wine and put her hard on her leg.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 11/01/22 12:38 PM.
old hand
old hand
Cannabis doesn't exist in The Forgotten Realms, though there may be an analog to cannabis.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Cannabis doesn't exist in The Forgotten Realms, though there may be an analog to cannabis.

Or maybe it does, and they just "Forgot"... I'll see myself out. evil

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from memeguy.com]

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Give it a few years and you will soon see that legalized weed will come under control of the big agricultural companies (Monsanto, etc.) who will then use their lawyers to criminalize local growers ... home grown won't be able to meet the federal safety standards and FDA approvals, etc., and will otherwise be taxed out the wazoo. You will have to buy it from the big corps. Just look at tobacco, have you ever bought any from a home grower?

"Selling or even trading any quantity of homegrown tobacco is much more complex. As soon as a grower sells dried tobacco leaves, cigarettes or any other product, that grower becomes a marketer. According to federal law, all marketers must pay tax on their sales. Penalties for non-payment of taxes can be extremely stiff."

As far as BG III goes, I could go for a a scene with a hookah, but I don't care exactly what is burning inside.

Ragitsu is right.
There is no direct analogue of cannabis in the Forgotten Realms setting.
Most of the drugs in the setting are powders (dreammist, traveler dust), tablets (haunspeir), pastes applied to the skin (dragon skin, chaunsel) and injections (tansabra).
So yeah, no smoking drugs. This is more about the Katapesh of the Pathfinder.

Last edited by BuckettMonkey; 11/01/22 08:07 PM.

Hello there.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by BuckettMonkey
Ragitsu is right.
There is no direct analogue of cannabis in the Forgotten Realms setting.
Most of the drugs in the setting are powders (dreammist, traveler dust), tablets (haunspeir), pastes applied to the skin (dragon skin, chaunsel) and injections (tansabra).
So yeah, no smoking drugs. This is more about the Katapesh of the Pathfinder.

Dreammist sounds like to me.

old hand
old hand
I don't know what you're talking about, there's plenty of hemp in the FR. I carry 50ft bundles of hempen rope all the time.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
Auntie Ethel has some whack potions you can try.

To some extent, I think some characters over imbibe in alcohol. But I guess when you have a tadpole in your head, you do need to de-stress. I wonder if it can get drunk.

As far as cannabis goes, I guess it depends on the physiology of the character in question. Potions might work better, but for example, Halflings have a particularly intoxicating kind of cheese which is highly addictive, and elves might not be affected by certain things.

Last edited by SereneNight; 12/01/22 05:37 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
The game features many types of alcoholic beverages, wine, and so on. But there is no weed. Why?

At the same time, in many RPG games there are drugs in the game besides alcohol. For example, Skooma and moon sugar in The Elder Scrolls.

In our society, marijuana has long been legalized in a number of countries such as Canada, the USA, some European countries, and so on.

Would it be possible not to drink wine in the romantic scene with Shadow Heart, but smoke weed?

It has to do with the type of setting that the writers have in mind. Smoking weed to you might seem okay but it's not common to do in a romantic setting. In most romantic settings, the couple usually drinks wine together.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna

It has to do with the type of setting that the writers have in mind. Smoking weed to you might seem okay but it's not common to do in a romantic setting. In most romantic settings, the couple usually drinks wine together.

Candalf smoked weed and flirted with Elf Girls all the time.

veteran
veteran
I have no idea who Candalf is supposed to be, but if it's Gandalf I'm fairly sure he smoked the equivalent of tobacco, not weed, and I can't remember him ever being a flirt with a single soul, not even in the writing that describe him before incarnating as an old man in Middle Earth (which won't stop people filling the blanks in their head canon, I'm sure).

That aside, I doubt the big question of this thread was something the devs put a lot of pondering into, but on a general level: I guess it doesn't help that one of these two activities is generally legal in most of the civilized world when the other conversely often isn't.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
I think Tolkien said the pipeweed in Lord of the Rings was a type of Nicotiana (tobacco). JRR was a pipe guy, too.

However, I think the story goes that Saruman had stores of pipeweed in Isengard ... perhaps for some nefarious purpose?

veteran
veteran
Well, the untold implication of that minor sidenote about Saruman was that despise his public attempts to mock, demean and belittle Gandalf at any given chance, he was secretly growing jealous of his popularity and influence in the White Council and started to imitate him privately (so picking up his smoking habit, too).

But now that you mention it, I would dig a spin-off of Saruman The (Walter) White breaking bad and trying to get into narco-traffic.

Last edited by Tuco; 13/01/22 02:52 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by haybyek55
so what better alcohol or cannabis? haha
[Linked Image from cdn.webshopapp.com]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Yeah it's a little disappointing. I'm sure they're trying to dodge any criticisms about promoting smoking in a video game, but of course everyone can be a complete drunk and that's totally fine. Just like the real world I guess.

Too bad, I'd take an enchanted pipe for sure!

BG1/2 even had the black lotus on display too, in various tents and dens, random dialogs and such, though it was impossible to actually acquire

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna

Why do we need all these settings, tadpoles, goblin tieflings and so on ... if there is weed in the game, then you can just sit in the camp and smoke all day long. While eating something tasty.
And there is no need to go anywhere, the main character will not give a damn about the cure for the tadpole. Roleplay that Snoop Dogg would approve of!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard