Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by fylimar
And like G4, I'm not a fan of bringing every single character back. I mean apart from Minsc, Jaheira, Volo there are others rumoured to return. I think, one character seems even to be pretty sure (
Edwin - being the wizard, where Ronan wants to begin his apprenticeship

Shouldn't that be Edwina?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig
And like G4, I'm not a fan of bringing every single character back. I mean apart from Minsc, Jaheira, Volo there are others rumoured to return. I think, one character seems even to be pretty sure (

He was at some point back to Edwin in my game - didn't even know, he could stay Edwina

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Since you apparently disagree, could you rather explain why bringing back the likes of Minsc or Jaheira as low level characters in BG3 would make their story after Throne of Bhaal better rather than ruining it in a cheap attempt to cash in on fan favourite characters?

New Minsc is not original Minsc.
It is a reincarnation that is the personification of his ideals and shares some of his memories.
He came to life when a large dose of wild magic hit his statue in Baldurs Gate.
I think it makes sense that he can't have as great equipment and experience as the original Minsc, which has long been dead.

P.S.
They completely ruined his picture laugh
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Edvin Black; 11/01/22 06:36 PM.
addict
addict
The armor in fylimar's post is very Jaheiric (Dexai gave us a new adjective!) and looks about right for a druid or a ranger. It would blend right in with a natural forest background.

As far as returning characters, my list in ranked order is as follows: Narlen Darkwalk, Shaella, and Kivan. In fact, I heard a rumour that Narlen was recently spotted in a back alley of the City of Brass ...

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Argyle
The armor in fylimar's post is very Jaheiric (Dexai gave us a new adjective!) and looks about right for a druid or a ranger. It would blend right in with a natural forest background.

As far as returning characters, my list in ranked order is as follows: Narlen Darkwalk, Shaella, and Kivan. In fact, I heard a rumour that Narlen was recently spotted in a back alley of the City of Brass ...

In that case, I have... interesting news for you laugh

Kivan is still alive, but he have new canon.
He is now gay and married a druid Cernd from BG2.

D
addict
addict
D

He was at some point back to Edwin in my game - didn't even know, he could stay Edwina

In at least one of his endings after ToB (maybe all?) he loses a duel with Elminster and gets transformed into Edwina again.

veteran
veteran

In at least one of his endings after ToB (maybe all?) he loses a duel with Elminster and gets transformed into Edwina again.

Ok, that is funny grin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Edvin Black
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Since you apparently disagree, could you rather explain why bringing back the likes of Minsc or Jaheira as low level characters in BG3 would make their story after Throne of Bhaal better rather than ruining it in a cheap attempt to cash in on fan favourite characters?

New Minsc is not original Minsc.
It is a reincarnation that is the personification of his ideals and shares some of his memories.
He came to life when a large dose of wild magic hit his statue in Baldurs Gate.
I think it makes sense that he can't have as great equipment and experience as the original Minsc, which has long been dead.

P.S.
They completely ruined his picture laugh

Are you sure? This is what I read:

Around the Year of True Omens, 1409 DR, the merchant Orburt Lewel ordered the construction of a 9‑foot (2.7‑meter)-tall statue and pedestal in the Wide in honor of Minsc, who had saved Lewel's life. The statue, known as the Beloved Ranger, depicted Minsc cupping Boo in his hands. It was a popular landmark and meeting point in the busy commercial district.[16][17][18] Unbeknownst to anyone at the time, the statue was actually the real Minsc and Boo under the effects of petrification magic.[19]

In the Year of the Ageless One, 1479 DR, a group of teenagers vandalized the Beloved Ranger statue, breaking off its hands and Boo. The vandals were later apprehended and the statue was fixed.[17]

Minsc, upon becoming "alive" again.[1]

STAND DOWN, DIRTY MINIONS OF EVIL―OR FACE MY HAMSTER'S WRATH!

Sometime in the 1480s DR, the Beloved Ranger was accidentally struck by a wild magic surge caused by the wild mage Delina, as a result of an attempt to cast a spell at an attacking gargoyle. The surge dispelled the petrification effect, returning Minsc and Boo to life. Fleeing from the city watch, Minsc, Boo, and Delina joined up with the thieves Krydle and Shandie, and eventually uncovered the schemes of a local Cult of the Dragon cell. Coran, now a member of the Parliament of Peers, was the only person who recognized Minsc as anyone but someone who was dressed like the statue.[1][19]

OP Offline
A lot of things on this lore don't make sense.

1368 DR = BG1
1408-1409 DR = Minsc saved Lewel's life
1409 DR = Merchant Orburt Lewel ordered the construction of statue

Even assuming he was 20 years old in BG1 (he looked and sounded more like someone who is about 30 years old.), he would be more than 60 years old now.
Moreover statue looked made of metal, not stone and Minsc is not 2.7‑meter high.
You can see for yourself.

This is the official canon comic.

Last edited by Edvin Black; 11/01/22 11:21 PM.
old hand
old hand
Minsc's face also came back wrong.

D
addict
addict
D
Wait... how old does that make Boo? In hamster years?

OP Offline
Wait... how old does that make Boo? In hamster years?

Hmm, that's a good point.
Average lifespan of miniature giant space hamsters is 18 years.
Another thing that doesn't quite fit with petrification story.

journeyman
journeyman
Boo is the Absolute

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Nope, that is not the right armor. Jaheiras looks different, very different. I can post a screen tomorrow.
Would be greatly appreciated. Checking the date this screenshot it almost 1 year old, so something better might have appeared in the later builds.

This is the garment in original colouring, someone datmined for Jaheira in the game (without the cape - and the character is one of mine, not Jaheira). I like it, it looks very nice. It is not exactly armor, I guess, but still looks good. It might be some kind of ceremonial garb.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here it is in another colour in full length (I think, the shoes are different)
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As mentioned, it looks more like a ceremonial garb, but I would think, that Jaheira might be pretty high up the ranks by now with harpers and/or druids.

I personally am not a fan of Minsc, so having him thrown at you as a companion, when he by all rights should be dead, is a real bummer for me. But I could live with him being the only one coming back - what's next? Gale is secretly Elminster (now that I wrote it, giving that all the companions are those very special snowflakes, that seems entirely possible)? We run into Drizzt yet again, maybe meet Viconia in the Underdark and Jan is still growing turnips ... just now for some reason in Baldurs Gate?
I'm very much in favor for new characters. I think, the old ones had their story and their purpose.
I'm ok though as long as they don't bring back Anomen - my most hated companion in any gaming fandom.

Looks pretty good to me! Thanks for sharing it.

As for the thing about bringing back characters... yeah. Another consequence of the 4th-5th edition setting debacle. I greatly appreciate the rollback in 5th ed but they should've let the dead characters rest.

For BG characters I wouldn't be against having cameos where it makes sense but I also don't want returning characters on every street.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
I found Jaheira mildly annoying in Baldur's gate. Too much of a scold for me. But, I'm sure she'll be brought back as youthful, rather than as an elderly elf to appeal to her fan base.

veteran
veteran
God forbid anyone is allowed to age gracefully

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
I would love it if Jaheira were older and had aged gracefully. Although, I don't recall seeing any older elf models in the game.

addict
addict
Regarding old elves, I kind of like the version of Elrond in the animated version of "The Hobbit" by Rankin & Bass. Elrond was kind of grisly yet regal, and he had these sparkling things orbiting about his head. Very cool.

"Yes, indeed! There are moon letters here, see?"

veteran
veteran
I thought that "elder elves" are usualy not shown, bcs usualy (read as in most settings i know) Elves keep their relative young look until they are so old, they are almost dying on natural causes. O_o

Dragon Age: Origins is one of clear exceptions. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
It states their hair may change color, and that is the most noticeable feature of elven aging. However, there may be other characteristics.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard