Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#805623 14/01/22 12:42 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Wyll's Warlock Patron is the Cambion (half-fiend) Mizora.
My question is what kind of fiend is she? Is she a Devil or a Demon?
I doubt she is a Daemon/Yuggoloth, but I will add it in just to cover my bases.

Evil always finds a way.
S
addict
addict
S
Cambions are devils per D&D lore.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Mizora is half devil, Wyll mentions it when you talk to him at camp after the encounter with Spike.

veteran
veteran
Just a quick question ...
Isnt that fact that Wyll made "a deal" with her justifying enough fot her being a Devil? O_o

I mean if she would be a Demon, she would kill him on sight ... no?

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Just a quick question ...
Isnt that fact that Wyll made "a deal" with her justifying enough fot her being a Devil? O_o

Not necessarily, no. Demons aren't all mindless killing machines, they can have long-term plans and schemes too.

The PHB description of the Fiend patron even lists a few examples of demons you can make deals with:
Fiends powerful enough to forge a pact include demon lords such as Demogorgon, Orcus, Fraz'Urb-luu, and Baphomet;

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Succubi used to be classified as tanar'ri (demons) prior to 4e, for example, and they aren't "mindless killing machines". The core idea was just that devils represent a hierarchic, disciplined, and purpose-driven evil, while demons are all about chaos, discord, and individuality. Hence the difference between an imp (devil) and a quazit (demon), for instance.

I dunno why they decided to shuffle the succubi around and throw them in the same-ish camp as erynies, who're supposed to be their ideological enemies.

old hand
old hand
We need more demoness and succubus in the game

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
enthusiast
enthusiast
speaking of Mizora, here is an interesting find
pretty sure there is no actual lore behind this but a lot of people may not know that they have seen Mizora already.[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

L
addict
addict
L
Cambions in the current edition are iirc all half-devils. Which seems to be Larian's stance as well (there's a line somewhere where it's mentioned having a succubus/incubus as a parent-which are devils as well I guess in BGIII) Demons should be cambions too, but who knows what WoTCs stance on anything is these days-half demons certainly still exist, since stuff like Tanarukk/draegloth etc are still canon demon/mortal hybrids, but wotc still seems to be going with the whole idea of Tieflings all being tied to the nine hells, and having a more or less cookie-cutter appearance similar to what they had in 4e.

It's kinda a mess IMHO, I try not to think about it. But I wonder if we ever saw Haer'Dalis in BGIII-if he'd be retconned into being a red skinned horns & tail tiefling.

Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Cambions in the current edition are iirc all half-devils.
Are you sure about this?
[Linked Image from online.anyflip.com]
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
It's kinda a mess IMHO, I try not to think about it. But I wonder if we ever saw Haer'Dalis in BGIII-if he'd be retconned into being a red skinned horns & tail tiefling.
Agree, the 4th edition spoiled the appearance of tieflings. It's only more offensive that the fifth edition decided not to change anything. Even the fact that in BG 3 we can choose the color of a tiefling's skin depending on its subrace is an progress, because in the rulebook all subraces were red and horned.
By the way, more than Haer Dalis, I'd like to see Doomguard or other factions of Sigil.

Last edited by BuckettMonkey; 26/01/22 05:01 PM.

Hello there.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard