Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Sven is very good at being a likable online persona

I could not disagree with this more heavily. Making no judgements about the man off set, of course - but the 'persona' that he presents for public consumption is not a likeable person at all; it is a disrespectful, self-entitled bully persona that draws its amusement from doing mean things to other people, insulting them, deceiving them and generally inconveniencing them, and then laughing about it - and expecting everyone to laugh along with it. A persona that wants too have its way all the time, that wants to do what it considers fun, to the detriment of anyone who disagrees and with an absolute willingness to trample roughshod over anyone who thinks otherwise - even to the point of outright lying to them or saying one thing and then doing their own thing anyway, and laughing about it afterwards - except for the very occasional once-in-a-show case where they 'graciously' let someone else have their way, just to act like that makes them such a generous person. A persona that likes to say that it's everyone's buddy, and act like it's everyone's buddy, while being actively abusive towards its so-called friends and calling it humour. That is the persona that is presented, and it is not a nice person.

Again, this is not to say anything about the person behind the act, or to comment on their actual interpersonal relations etc; this is just the - presumably fictitious - persona that is presented to us.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara

I could not disagree with this more heavily. Making no judgements about the man off set, of course - but the 'persona' that he presents for public consumption is not a likeable person at all; it is a disrespectful, self-entitled bully persona that draws its amusement from doing mean things to other people, insulting them, deceiving them and generally inconveniencing them, and then laughing about it - and expecting everyone to laugh along with it. A persona that wants too have its way all the time, that wants to do what it considers fun, to the detriment of anyone who disagrees and with an absolute willingness to trample roughshod over anyone who thinks otherwise - even to the point of outright lying to them or saying one thing and then doing their own thing anyway, and laughing about it afterwards - except for the very occasional once-in-a-show case where they 'graciously' let someone else have their way, just to act like that makes them such a generous person. A persona that likes to say that it's everyone's buddy, and act like it's everyone's buddy, while being actively abusive towards its so-called friends and calling it humour. That is the persona that is presented, and it is not a nice person.

Again, this is not to say anything about the person behind the act, or to comment on their actual interpersonal relations etc; this is just the - presumably fictitious - persona that is presented to us.

+1. I totally agree. I honestly don't like Panels from Hell at all. I find them hard to watch because I don't like the entire tone and attitude. When the hag was pummeling Swen, I found myself enjoying watching him get taken down a few notches. It was somehow vindicating because of his persona. When he was telling people they need to save scum, I found myself just wanting to slap him. It was like he was saying, "Stop complaining about all the gimmicks we have and just save a lot. That'll fix all of the game's issues, Morons. Video Games 101. Save save save."

It was very offputting.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Excellent, I like the Panels from Hell. Especially watching them with a copious amount of good cheer and with others hehe Looking forward to to this one. Skål!

veteran
veteran
Funny, I also did not enjoy Swen killing Nick's character in the Grymforge playthrough and getting so excited about it. I did not get a D&D co-op vibe whatsoever. It was awkward to watch.

I also did not like Swen's playstyle with heavy metagaming. Sneaking into places and stealing stuff the characters didn't know was there. I think devs should discourage such playstyle and try to keep things fresh and exciting rather than teach players to metagame an RPG. Perhaps he is too familiar with the game at this point. But metagaming is the opposite of role-playing, and this is supposed to be an RPG.

veteran
veteran

I could not disagree with this more heavily.
Perhaps. I don't think I watched very first panel only. I am more familiar with Sven through short content and interviews.

Originally Posted by 1varangian
Funny, I also did not enjoy Swen killing Nick's character in the Grymforge playthrough and getting so excited about it.
That is, however, best way to play Larian in my experience. Messing with other player and being mess with has been the thing that made Larian games what it is. That feature has been heavily advertised back in D:OS2 (even unrealistically so to some extend). I find this stuff unfun outside initial novelty - that's why I consider D:OS2 more of a streamer game, then a gamer game.

veteran
veteran
You know, this actually explains a lot as to why the game is the way it is. Lots of gimmicks and exploits so players can mess each other over during multiplayer. That kind of fun is not serious RPG fun. It's an "I like to screw around" kind of fun. I don't like that kind of fun. I'd rather have a serious RPG fun.

Makes sense now.

veteran
veteran

I could not disagree with this more heavily.
Perhaps. I don't think I watched very first panel only. I am more familiar with Sven through short content and interviews.
Swen is much more likeable in scripted videos than any of the live content I've seen him in.

old hand
old hand
Completely agreed. I want serious RPGs too. I think most do.

Originally Posted by 1varangian
I just wish the Panels from Hell would be less about marketing fluff or empty hype and more about discussing the game, design decisions and such. Why they feel a theme park area design is good for the game. Talk about what their data collecting has revealed about EA players. Changes from 5e, resting system etc.

You know.... a panel. With actual content.

I fully agree

veteran
veteran
Definitely want a serious RPG that also takes itself a little bit more seriously, too. Story driven, D&D party gameplay with co-op multiplayer as an option.

In my PnP group we also liked to stage fights between our characters, but that was done entirely out of character, outside the campaign. Goofy screwing around and PvP, and a Baldur's Gate campaign are two different games. They shouldn't be mixed.

And let's not pretend you could ever actually play BG3 competitively (like 2v2) in such a tight and controlled narrative that takes place on theme park maps. It would be a total mess and wasted development time.

old hand
old hand
Ya I want a super serious serious game, the serious has to be super serious

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GM4Him
You know, this actually explains a lot as to why the game is the way it is. Lots of gimmicks and exploits so players can mess each other over during multiplayer. That kind of fun is not serious RPG fun. It's an "I like to screw around" kind of fun. I don't like that kind of fun. I'd rather have a serious RPG fun.

Makes sense now.

Yes, I get the feeling that BG3 is more of a twitch meme creation tool then an old school CRPG.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by fallenj
Ya I want a super serious serious game, the serious has to be super serious

I wish Larian would take inspiration from Monty Python, bad acting, bad immersion, bad jokes, etc. I view Larian as somekind of standup comedians, not that I know them well. Sony is probably one of the most serious gaming companies in my opinion, and Larian isnt definitely one of them.

This video reminds me of Larian. LINK

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 28/01/22 11:43 PM.
veteran
veteran
I don't even know what filter you guys are using to parse reality but I would urge you guys to look for a replacement.

I've never gotten the impression that Swen was doing anything except for playing a role and that the people involved are there voluntarily and that everything he is doing and saying is tongue-in-cheek. It's got to be a nice break for them to be able to dress up, play out a couple of skits with props and costumes in front of an audience of about 10-15k people. If somebody didn't want to get involved I am sure there are plenty of other people happy to take their place.

Also calling someone autistic as if it were an insult, c'mon, really?

As for 'marketing fluff' can you give me an example?

Frankly I love seeing people excited about stuff they are into. Hyperactive, bouncing around nerding-out like a dork excited. I wish everyone could be that excited about what they do for a living.

Anyway, fingers crossed for this happening in the next two weeks. My army of multiplayer nerds grows impatient for new content. Bets have been placed. Honor is at stake.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 28/01/22 11:55 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Someone called Seen autistic as an insult? Not cool.

Look. To each their own. I enjoyed King of the Nerds watching them compete doing nerdy things.

I just don't care for the Panels and the play style. BG1 and 2 we're not "I like to screw around" RPGs. They were serious, and that's what made them awesome. I don't want a game with tons of gimmicks and exploits so players can run around in Multiplayer being trolls to one another in "competitive co-op" whatever. And if that's why they have certain features that make the game less fun as a more serious RPG, then that's VERY disappointing.

They already have two modes. Single and Multiplayer. How about making Multiplayer however they want and tweak single to be serious RPG ing.

Last edited by GM4Him; 29/01/22 02:57 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Swen is the only one who ever seems too be genuinely enjoying himself. The rest pretend to enjoy his bullying, mocking and general disrespectful treatment of them.

I love Swen, as he seems like the Michael Scott of Larian.

GMAddon1: Adds almost every single monster and NPC from the main campaign into GM mode, plus a few large custom maps to use in GM mode.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
If somebody didn't want to get involved I am sure there are plenty of other people happy to take their place.
This may not be as true as you think ...
Take Brian Mitsoda for example ... he was also used as face of project by Paradox, even tho he said himself that he never felt comfortable in front of all those people/cameras, since he is quote "very private person" ...

Sometimes you just do what you have to do. :-/

I don't want a game with tons of gimmicks and exploits so players can run around in Multiplayer being trolls to one another in "competitive co-op" whatever.
In that case you should probably go search for another game ...
Or start learning to mod. laugh

I mean this is how entertainment industry work isnt it?
*They* create lot of games, movies, series, and stuff ...
and *We* decide wich one suits our taste best ... or altern the one we pick to our liking oureself (by moding it) ...

I never heard about any company that completely changed course of their development, bcs "someone wanted" something else. O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 29/01/22 08:54 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Crossing my fingers for Bard!

To add to the Sven online persona discourse: as a smug asshole myself, I definitely laugh along with him all the time. Keep it up Sven :P

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
If somebody didn't want to get involved I am sure there are plenty of other people happy to take their place.
This may not be as true as you think ...
Take Brian Mitsoda for example ... he was also used as face of project by Paradox, even tho he said himself that he never felt comfortable in front of all those people/cameras, since he is quote "very private person" ...

Sometimes you just do what you have to do. :-/

I don't want a game with tons of gimmicks and exploits so players can run around in Multiplayer being trolls to one another in "competitive co-op" whatever.
In that case you should probably go search for another game ...
Or start learning to mod. laugh

I mean this is how entertainment industry work isnt it?
*They* create lot of games, movies, series, and stuff ...
and *We* decide wich one suits our taste best ... or altern the one we pick to our liking oureself (by moding it) ...

I never heard about any company that completely changed course of their development, bcs "someone wanted" something else. O_o

You know what? Maybe I will. I'm tired of arguing with people for over a year making suggestions to make this game better in a vacuum where Larian just says nothing. All I ever get out here is, "Well tough. They're not going to even consider that, so shut up."

So, maybe I will. However the game turns out, whatever. It COULD be more awesome, but if all they want is a streaming meme game with tons of plot holes and exploits and gimmicks and things that just don't make sense, then this game will probably just plop in the toilet for me, just as it has for many others. It's pretty, but it has SO many things wrong with it.

Take Barcus, for example. How the bloody bleep does he get to Grymforge before me? Does he get there through the SEALED TEMPLE, THE DEADLY SPIDER LAIR, or THE HAG'S LAIR? Makes no sense. Oh wait! Maybe he snuck past the Zhents and minotaurs.

SO many things like this, AND game mechanics issues. I don't know. If they don't fix stuff, it's a huge loss for me. Period. Argue about it all day long if you want. That's just the way of it.

And all because they want multiplayer so people can troll each other? No. That's just super frustrating IMO, and if that's true I'm done with Larian. I will not buy another of their games.

Not a fan of the Panels, I understand that it may come to the dev team as a sort of a break and a celebration of a milestone in the development but give us the full patch note that same day so we can celebrate as well laugh

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard