Next Thread
Print Thread
#806657 29/01/22 04:34 PM
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I haven't found a topic like this so I created one. Can we have a separate, low intelligence dialogue tree, like we had in Neverwinter Nights? If there is one thing Neverwinter Nights did better then Baldurs Gate it was this. At the moment you cant get lower then 7 but this shouldn't be enough to speak a normal dialogue like a character with int 12.

Normal
[img]https://eu-images.contentstack.com/...80&format=webply&disable=upscale[/img]

Low intelligence
https://eu-images.contentstack.com/...80&format=webply&disable=upscale

Last edited by Athkatla FC; 29/01/22 04:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
I honestly hope they dont ...
Its anoying enough for me to try figure out what is my character going to say as it is ... mask it behind idiotic blabeling would be even worse. -_-

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I honestly hope they dont ...
Its anoying enough for me to try figure out what is my character going to say as it is ... mask it behind idiotic blabeling would be even worse. -_-

But RPG's are there for you play a role!? If not you can just add more points in intelligence.

veteran
veteran
I am playing a role ...
I just dont find entertaining to be forced to play my Fighter as a Neanderthal who considers any word with more than 4 letters to be an insult. -_-

//Edit:
Actualy the opposite is true ... this acts in direct contradiction to playing a role.
If you dont force your characters to have simple dialogue choices based on their ability scores, you can play whatever you want ... if you do, your low int character is an idiot no matter what.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 29/01/22 07:20 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Athkatla FC
I haven't found a topic like this so I created one. Can we have a separate, low intelligence dialogue tree, like we had in Neverwinter Nights? If there is one thing Neverwinter Nights did better then Baldurs Gate it was this. At the moment you cant get lower then 7 but this shouldn't be enough to speak a normal dialogue like a character with int 12.

Normal
[img]https://eu-images.contentstack.com/...80&format=webply&disable=upscale[/img]

Low intelligence
https://eu-images.contentstack.com/...80&format=webply&disable=upscale

You can always go back and play Fallout 1 and 2. Oh and there is a game called Encased, which was sponsored by Larian actually - that does allow you to have low intelligence speech.

I think these days that sort of thing is considered to be in bad taste. It's essentially punching down.

Also your lowest possible int score is an 8 which doesn't really lend itself to inability to speak coherently. You can hit 7 with Volo's eye but that will just make your memory a bit worse.

Intelligence
1 (–5): Animalistic, no longer capable of logic or reason. Behavior is reduced to simple reactions to immediate stimuli

2-3 (–4): Rather animalistic. Acts on instinct but can still resort to simple planning and tactics

4-5 (–3): Very limited speech and knowledge. Often resorts to charades to express thoughts

6-7 (–2): Has trouble following trains of thought, forgets most unimportant things

8-9 (–1): Misuses and mispronounces words. May be forgetful

10-11 (0): Knows what they need to know to get by

12-13 (1): Knows a bit more than is necessary, fairly logical

14-15 (2): Fairly intelligent, able to understand new tasks quickly. Able to do math or solve logic puzzles mentally with reasonable accuracy

16-17 (3): Very intelligent, may invent new processes or uses for knowledge

18-19 (4): Highly knowledgeable, probably the smartest person many people know

20 (5): Famous as a sage and genius. Able to make Holmesian leaps of logic

Last edited by Blackheifer; 29/01/22 08:14 PM.

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
Developers need to be warned about this at the stage of character creation. If intelligence is below 8, then the main character becomes a fool. Many dialogues are inaccessible to him, others look at him with pitiful sympathy.

But such a player will have a unique romance with the Goblin Sazza, who will become his wiser partner, mentor in this cruel world. And a unique ability to dialogue with the most stupid of monsters and humanoids. Oh, it's like the Trickster's way in Wrath of the Righteous.

Not for me... but why not if someone really wants to play like that

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
stranger
stranger
Yes, I agree this would be an amazing bonus. Maybe have like 3 tiers:
1) Below average (7-9) - less options
2) (10-15) - average to above average - normal options
3) 16+ - very intelligent - additional options

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ange
Yes, I agree this would be an amazing bonus. Maybe have like 3 tiers:
1) Below average (7-9) - less options
2) (10-15) - average to above average - normal options
3) 16+ - very intelligent - additional options
Low intelligence can also have more options - but only idiotic ones, as well as expanded opportunities for dialogue with various ogres, crazy ones (in Fallout there was a crazy one who was not understood by anyone except a character with low intelligence, who was able to fully communicate with him and take quests ) etc.

But if I'm not mistaken, it was about intelligence between 1 and 5 to change the dialogue system.

8-16, even 7-16 I don't think they make much sense in global changes

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Idiots can talk alot (see internet). Giving low INT chars a bunch of yammering dialogue options would be both hilarious and realistic. 😂

veteran
veteran
An eight doesn't mean you're an idiot, and it doesn't mean you have trouble speaking or stringing sentences together - Blackheifer's scale is pretty accurate in most ways, and ultimately speaking, in a video game, they shouldn't be enforcing dialogue restrictions or changes on you unless you're at a 5 or below.

It would be nice if 6-8 presented the same dialogue options but in simplified language - not infantile or stupid, but just using plainer, simpler language... but considering the limitations we're already seeing as a result of them fully voice acting everything, I'm extremely doubtful that we can hope for that level of nuance.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
From DD Wiki "Intelligence (Int) Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons." I think its learning most importantly. Warriors typically has low int, because they just gotta block and smash, Wizards gotta learn tons of spells etc.

I think its quite funny people view low int people as full retards.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 31/01/22 01:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
In a perfect world all your mental stats would factor into your characters perception of every interaction. But not everybody even agrees on what they all mean, especially Charisma, but Wisdom too.

Another problem for me in D&D with this route; whatever your intelligence, any intelligence check you make is going to range pretty wildly for someone to be reliably a stup. Even those Int 1 animals only get (-5) to a check. Of course at that level you don't understand language, so even that range wouldn't be a factor.

I think a more interesting way of doing this would be making your perspective on a conversation involve rolling Int, Wis, and Cha and having the lowest roll dictate what responses are available to you. The Dark Eye does something like this with skill rolls I think. And of course there's the modularity of mind system that Disco Elysium does that makes it so interesting.

veteran
veteran
In a perfect world all atributes would affect our character in some way ...

So you are forced to ballance out all our stats instead of regular 3 + Intelligence (or/and Wisdom or/and Charisma) ...
Bcs in this scenario Wizards (or/and other casters in case Sozz descibes) get advantage from char. creation. smirk

I would like to see some ballance here ...
If at least Int 10 (wis/cha) is needed for our character to talk properly ...
then at least Str 10 should be needed to jump across all those gaps we have on map (like that crack in the bridge next to blighted willage, or those stones in water) ...
then at least Dex 10 should be needed so our character dont fall prone every time they jump with possibility to fall from the edges ...
and then at least Con 10 should be needed so our character dont get Exhaustion after few minutes of walking or after (or even better in a middle of) a fight.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 31/01/22 02:07 PM.

veteran
veteran
I think Brennan sums it up nicely. I find this extremely funny.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Blackheifer
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
In a perfect world all atributes would affect our character in some way ...

So you are forced to ballance out all our stats instead of regular 3 + Intelligence (or/and Wisdom or/and Charisma) ...
Bcs in this scenario Wizards (or/and other casters in case Sozz descibes) get advantage from char. creation. smirk

I would like to see some ballance here ...
If at least Int 10 (wis/cha) is needed for our character to talk properly ...
then at least Str 10 should be needed to jump across all those gaps we have on map (like that crack in the bridge next to blighted willage, or those stones in water) ...
then at least Dex 10 should be needed so our character dont fall prone every time they jump with possibility to fall from the edges ...
and then at least Con 10 should be needed so our character dont get Exhaustion after few minutes of walking or after (or even better in a middle of) a fight.

Yeah exactly. It may be that you even can't complete some quests, or there is a different outcome. This just makes the replayability better. This was the reason why I play games like BG2, Fallout 2 or Fallout: NV.

Last edited by Athkatla FC; 03/02/22 02:01 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard