Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#806871 02/02/22 04:19 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm so frustrated with the shove feature that I have to mention it again.

Fighting Nere and duergar. Round 1. Duergar shoves Gale more than 60 flipping feet into lava. Instant death. Then, he moves up and hacks another character and nearly kills them with 1 hit.

UHH!

GM4Him #806885 02/02/22 07:14 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Yeah. I'm pretty done with shove. It was an interesting twist at first. Now it is just annoying as hell. It seems all the enemies tactics focus on this. And it seem the enemy's THACO for shove is an entirely different table. (Apologies for the old timer's reference, there.)

Last edited by jfutral; 02/02/22 07:14 PM.
GM4Him #806889 02/02/22 08:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Given that this has been discussed dozens of times already, I don't see the usefulness of "resetting the conversation" and starting a new thread about the same topic.
This fundamentally ignores every point made before and implicitly forces people to repeat themselves over and over OR give up on the discussion.

That's not to say that I don't share the sentiment that the current implementation of shove sucks in more ways than one.

Last edited by Tuco; 02/02/22 08:44 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #806893 02/02/22 09:57 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Given that this has been discussed dozens of times already, I don't see the usefulness of "resetting the conversation" and starting a new thread about the same topic.
Yes, but then again one can't have BG3 playthrough without getting infuriated by shove.

GM4Him #806895 02/02/22 10:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Get rid of the knockback arrows.

Or if Shove distance becomes a reasonable 5ft. as per the actual rules, also the arrows could be tolerable.

Goblins shouldn't have them anyway. Seems like something that should be used by the likes of an elite order of High Elf Eldritch Knight archers.

Tuco #806897 02/02/22 11:24 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
This fundamentally ignores every point made before and implicitly forces people to repeat themselves over and over OR give up on the discussion.

That's not to say that I don't share the sentiment that the current implementation of shove sucks in more ways than one.

My thought... "The squeaky wheel gets the kick."

I HATE shove almost, if not more than, Height/Backstab Advantage. I am insta-killed more times by shove than anything else.

So, maybe if they fix it, people could stop talking about it.

Just like Day/Night, Party of 6, and everything else I want.

Last edited by GM4Him; 02/02/22 11:25 PM.
GM4Him #806899 02/02/22 11:55 PM
veteran
veteran
I don’t want you to stop talking about it. I’m questioning the decision to start a new thread about it instead of continuing on top of the the previous ones.

Some of which were even started by you, if memory serves me right.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #806901 03/02/22 12:36 AM
old hand
old hand

This, could of necro'd one of the 100 other threads on the topic. Since you know you don't play other games and continue to bash your head against this same game over and over with the same problems over and over.

Last edited by fallenj; 03/02/22 12:37 AM.
Tuco #806905 03/02/22 01:38 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I don’t want you to stop talking about it. I’m questioning the decision to start a new thread about it instead of continuing on top of the the previous ones.

Meh. I'm a Boomer. Lol. I hunted for a past one for a minute, couldn't find one, was frustrated already, and said, "Heck with it. If there even are any moderators out here still - haven't seen one in awhile - they can move it to one of the old ones and hopefully make it a megathread.". 😁

Tuco #806911 03/02/22 04:35 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast

Tuco, your argument sort of makes sense, but only from the point of view of a forum's regular.

When I see a 30+ page megathread on such a topic, I know there is no way I will ever read it in full. As I have the "30 posts per page" setting on this forum, I know It will take me a full day struggling through 1000+ posts with troublesome grammar, topic-derailing rants and somesuch to have a full grasp of the discussion. And most probably, in the end I could only add "+1" to some particularly concise and well-written post.

Considering it's Larian that we have to deal with, I think making more threads might be a better tactic. Quantity over quality, so to speak. Drowning them in lots of similar threads might have a better outcome than keeping everything in a single frighteningly huge mega-thread that no one will ever read.

GM4Him #806915 03/02/22 07:22 AM
veteran
veteran

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him #806918 03/02/22 09:16 AM
E
addict
addict
E
Isn’t it amusing that in a high fantasy setting with powerful magics and brutal martial prowess, that Shove is one of the strongest mechanics in the game. I remember as a kid and teen that shoving was what happened when nobody actually wanted a real fight, so there’d be a sort of shoving contest until friends pulled the combatants apart or the shove fight fizzled out.

Thank God for all the conveniently located precipices in Larian’s maps, I guess. The crazy thing is that even if you avoid using it yourself it would seem that the AI has still has a boner for using Shove at every opportunity.

fallenj #806923 03/02/22 12:37 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj

This, could of necro'd one of the 100 other threads on the topic. Since you know you don't play other games and continue to bash your head against this same game over and over with the same problems over and over.

BTW. I'm currently playing lots of games: Solasta, Kingmaker, FF7 Remake, FF14, MechWarrior 5, Warhammer Chaos and, Death Mark, Root Film... BG3 is just my favorite... Though it's starting to slide drastically.

Why you still here bashing your head against the same game over and over but then making fun of me for doing so?

RagnarokCzD #806924 03/02/22 12:38 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Meh. Like I said. Boomer. So glad it took YOU 5 seconds. Zoomer. 🤣

What can I say. I work in IT. 😂

Last edited by GM4Him; 03/02/22 12:51 PM.
RutgerF #806930 03/02/22 01:24 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
Tuco, your argument sort of makes sense, but only from the point of view of a forum's regular.

When I see a 30+ page megathread on such a topic, I know there is no way I will ever read it in full.
And your objection would sort of make sense if "30 pages megathreads" were all there was about this specific topic. While there's been a CONSTELLATION of previous shorter threads about it.
Look at some of the ones Ragnarok just fished out with a quick search, and there are even more:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=97875&Number=776154#Post776154

Last edited by Tuco; 03/02/22 01:32 PM.

Etruscan #806931 03/02/22 01:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Thank God for all the conveniently located precipices in Larian’s maps, I guess. The crazy thing is that even if you avoid using it yourself it would seem that the AI has still has a boner for using Shove at every opportunity.
Yeah, that's a LITTLE side effect of the mentality "Whoa, wouldn't be nice if characters had MORE THINGS TO DO per turn? Let's make this circumstantial, occasional action surprisingly convenient to abuse over and over".

And suddenly you have something that is TOO convenient and that you have rarely a good reason to NOT use. As a result not only it affects the balance but it changes the face of most fights because what was previously "occasional" and "circumstantial" becomes omnipresent.
Especially when you let a AI evaluate the most effective strategy so self-restrain "for the sake of preserving some immersion" isn't even a factor anymore.

GM4Him #806932 03/02/22 02:13 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
AND...

Just like that, we're back to where we were 1 year ago, talking about shove being broken... AGAIN! Why? Because they simply will not make it an Action, and they won't adjust it so characters aren't thrown more than 5 feet.

I think Larian's theme song should be: "We spin you right round, Baby, right round, like a record, Baby, right round, round round..."

"We want you to lu-uuh-uuuuuuuuuv. Death from abu-uh-uuuuuuuuuuv. All I know is that to me, D&D is not real fun. So we're gonna change the rules. Watch out here it comes. We'll change the rules. [And nothing else will do.]. And weeeee. We gotta have out way now, Baby!"

Yeah. I've lost it.

Last edited by GM4Him; 03/02/22 02:13 PM.
GM4Him #806935 03/02/22 02:48 PM
veteran
veteran

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
jfutral #806937 03/02/22 03:20 PM
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by jfutral
Yeah. I'm pretty done with shove. It was an interesting twist at first. Now it is just annoying as hell. It seems all the enemies tactics focus on this. And it seem the enemy's THACO for shove is an entirely different table. (Apologies for the old timer's reference, there.)

Ah someone else who remembers and understands THACO, does my old timer heart good smile and yes, shove should be 5 feet unless it's from the Eldritch Blast invocation.

Tuco #806939 03/02/22 04:23 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
And your objection would sort of make sense if "30 pages megathreads" were all there was about this specific topic. While there's been a CONSTELLATION of previous shorter threads about it.
Look at some of the ones Ragnarok just fished out with a quick search, and there are even more:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=97875&Number=776154#Post776154
I remember this one, of course. And most of the others. Good we have them, but it's not enough. Not nearly enough if we are hoping to facilitate the change, I think. We need a veritable flood.

I mean, they did change some things in the past, right? The most ridiculous and infuriating ones, like cantrips creating surfaces. I wonder, what the community did back then, that Larian suddenly listened? If only we would have an ML expert here, who could train a model to parse the forums (and probably reddit, too) and find those particular aspects of feedback that resulted in requested changes being implemented. Assuming of course it's us who forced Larian's hand, and not WotC for example.

If we would know these aspects, how exactly the feedback should be provided to be successful, you know - the subtle ways that may resonate with the subconscious, we could possibly leverage this knowledge against Swen, and who knows how much we could achieve...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard