Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
90% of the player base here doesn't even to give a shit about BG1 and 2; Like this is the third game of the series but we get close to NO DISCUSSIONS on the previous games...Like gameplay stuff that worked and were fun...people talk about/compare to The Witcher...Dragon age...Skyrim...Solasta D&D lol.
They are aware of the legacy and hipe + HEY its a Larian comedy game = yey!
So who cares who Larian calls it for these people.

For those of us who played these Black Isle games when we were in our teens, early 20s...it really feels like a marketing rip off...calling it Baldurs gate 3. Seing the direction the game is going, wish I had not spent the money on EA. I already had my doubts when watched that first demo...and hoped things would turn out more like a Baldurs gate game...

But hey its a great Larian <half baked> D&D game! For sure. And a great tale tale cinematic experience for kids.

My hope is that all this is just because it's EA. I'm still holding out hope that in the end, they DO give us the experience we're hoping for.

I might be disappointed, but what's the flip side? I'm disappointed even if I don't hope for it.

Again, I do love this game. I wouldn't still be out here if I didn't. That said, it could be SO much better IF they took our feedback more to heart.

You could be eating caviar or even golden apples; don't let them feed you pabulum. Remember that this game does have a legacy to satisfy.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
90% of the player base here doesn't even to give a shit about BG1 and 2
I dont understand why should we ...

I didnt buy BG1 nor BG2 ... i buyed BG3 ...
This is BG3 suggestions forum ...

What would be the point of nostalgicaly remembering how great was games in the past? O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
with that logic, why was it called Baldur's Gate 3 then? Are you trying to pretend that nostalgia didn't play a role in calling this a Baldur's Gate game?

L
addict
addict
L
Seriously, IIRC even Larian has alluded to in the past the choice to do a Baldur's Gate sequel instead of a standalone/new series of D&D games had to do with the name recognition. People will line up for 'Baldur's Gate III' based on the reputation and name recognition of the franchise even if they never played another game in the series, and they'll do it in a way they would never do for "Forgotten Realms: Adventures in Cormyr" or whatever. Hell, a lot of the decisions around this game are definitely around leveraging recognition-the return to Baldur's Gate itself, when only the first game featured that city, the inclusion of Minsc. The MTG tie-in...It is undeniable that nostalgia/name recognition is a huge part of the attraction to the game and one Larian is aware of.

And it works...hell-I myself don't really like 5e either as a setting or as a game system, but here I am just the same at the promise of even a whiff of the nostalgia I have for the old games and that pre-spellplague Forgotten Realms setting. Maybe it's all just nostalgia bait and it's naive to expect it to deliver, but If the legacy of the BG franchise is what Larian is going to hang their hat on, then I think it's entirely fair to judge them on how well they deliver on that aspect.

I expect Larian to deliver a superb game as always-I have enjoyed every one of their games I have played to date-but will it be a worthy heir to the Infinity engine games? IDK about that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
with that logic, why was it called Baldur's Gate 3 then? Are you trying to pretend that nostalgia didn't play a role in calling this a Baldur's Gate game?
Honestly?

Dont know, dont care ...
I didnt name it. laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Honestly?

Dont know, dont care ...
I didnt name it. laugh

Ragnarok's stance = "But is it fun?"

And, ya know, I can't totally argue with that. Do I want them to make some changes to make it better? Yes - BUT, at the end of the day, the bottom line is, "Is it fun?"

Not everything from BG1 and 2 was fun.

Example:. I need to long rest before continuing. I literally can't beat the next part if I don't. I long rest. Attacked by random, boring goblins. Easily kill them. Long rest. Interrupted again. Same result. Wash, rinse, repeat three more times. Get fed up. Take 5 minutes to travel back to map location start. Fast travel back to city. Rent room. Finally long rest. Spend 5 minutes going back to where I was. SO not fun.

Example: You have 20 item slots per character. That's it. Constantly playing the item juggle game in order to pick up as many dropped weapons and items as possible. Juggle all the magic bags and arrow containers - and dang how fun was it that you had to micromanage arrows unless you bought the ammo bag of holding. Arrows would take up one of the 20 slots forcing you to juggle everything constantly. Archers couldn't carry spit because arrows took up their entire inventory. Yeah. I'm happy not having to worry about micromanaging arrows and having to decide should I drop arrows so I can pick up another, more valuable, suit of armor just because I only got 20 item slots.

Last edited by GM4Him; 08/02/22 06:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
Dont know, dont care ...
I didnt name it. laugh
Ragnarok's stance = "But is it fun?"
It might come as surprise to you ... but when Ragnarok says he dont care, his stance is that he do not care. :P laugh

I mean, i dunno how about you ... but i would be interested in this game just the same, even if it would be named Project Gustav. laugh

I dont see why "things that was fun in BG1 and BG2" should bre relevant, but people should laugh to those who mention things that are fun in: The Witcher...Dragon age...Skyrim...Solasta D&D (yup i copied the list from mr_planescapist) ...
Either take both, or refuse both ...

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/02/22 06:25 PM.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Seriously, IIRC even Larian has alluded to in the past the choice to do a Baldur's Gate sequel instead of a standalone/new series of D&D games had to do with the name recognition. People will line up for 'Baldur's Gate III' based on the reputation and name recognition of the franchise even if they never played another game in the series, and they'll do it in a way they would never do for "Forgotten Realms: Adventures in Cormyr" or whatever. Hell, a lot of the decisions around this game are definitely around leveraging recognition-the return to Baldur's Gate itself, when only the first game featured that city, the inclusion of Minsc. The MTG tie-in...It is undeniable that nostalgia/name recognition is a huge part of the attraction to the game and one Larian is aware of.

And it works...hell-I myself don't really like 5e either as a setting or as a game system, but here I am just the same at the promise of even a whiff of the nostalgia I have for the old games and that pre-spellplague Forgotten Realms setting. Maybe it's all just nostalgia bait and it's naive to expect it to deliver, but If the legacy of the BG franchise is what Larian is going to hang their hat on, then I think it's entirely fair to judge them on how well they deliver on that aspect.

I expect Larian to deliver a superb game as always-I have enjoyed every one of their games I have played to date-but will it be a worthy heir to the Infinity engine games? IDK about that.

^ Jump to 3:30.

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

I am really not interested in a new(er) studio trying to push their identity through a beloved established series. Sadly, this only confirms my initial suspicions of BG3. The game could still be decent on its own merits, sure, but it won't be Baldur's Gate.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

I am really not interested in a new(er) studio trying to push their identity through a beloved established series. Sadly, this only confirms my initial suspicions of BG3. The game could still be decent on its own merits, sure, but it won't be Baldur's Gate.

Ugh, what an arrogant remark by Sven. Essentially he seems to admit they're piggybacking the BG brand with little intention of trying to do the legacy of their predecessors justice at all, it's purely for their own ends, quite megalomaniacal really. While I totally comprehend why they have have done so (after all, who would turn down such an opportunity?), it still rankles with me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Ugh, what an arrogant remark by Sven. Essentially he seems to admit they're piggybacking the BG brand with little intention of trying to do the legacy of their predecessors justice at all, it's purely for their own ends, quite megalomaniacal really.
Eh, it takes a short look at BG3 to see it has little interest in being a Bladur’s Gate game. I feel people attack Sven a bit too much. Would you want to have a smooth PR talker feeding you bullshit?

i also think that he has been misquoted a bit. He seems to think of BG IP just as a D&D project. I think he sees his multiplayer design to be a better translation of tabletop into PC and therefore wants to make BG3 using that template rather then looking at what made BG1&2 great and expanding on that.

I think he (and WotC) are missing the point and appeal of BG IP, but I am someone with little interest in multiplayer experience on PC.

veteran
veteran
I do think people are a bit hard on Swen and Larian. I mean, I want more D&D 5e rules and stats, party of 6 and Day/Night, etc. But, ultimately, BG3 is a great game. It's fun, full of intricate detail and is shaping up to be amazing.

Something else I recently considered. This game is HUGE already. It is taxing my computer to play Grymforge. If they make it too much more awesome, it might cause lower end computers to start crashing and thus make the game not playable. They have to balance awesome with player base capabilities. Not everyone has a super awesome graphics card with incredible processor.

What if, by adding weather effects, for example, they would then cut 20% of their player base who simply can't play it even on the lowest settings. THAT would suck more to me. I'd rather them keeping the game as is than have it fancier but unplayable.

old hand
old hand
But, ultimately, BG3 is a great game.

"BG3" stands for Baldur's Gate 3, yeah? There are plenty of other concepts that can potentially turn out to be "great" games; I want this to be a Baldur's Gate game. I want to immerse myself in the Realms when I play a Forgotten Realms title. So far, I'm not feeling the fidelity.

Incidentally, I found a great comment of yours ->

I think this all goes back to just how UN-Forgotten Realms this game is. Elves are humans with pointy ears, Drow aren't Sunlight Sensitive, Phase Spiders teleport around like they all know a super version of Misty Step, Intellect Devourers don't devour intellect or use body thief or pounce on single individuals but act like standard mins flayer thugs, imps have no resistance and are easy, level 1 noob enemies, mud mephits and their allies don't have proper stats or act like they should, the First Druid of the grove is a weak level 5 noob scrub who can't handle a bunch of goblins and needs you to rescue him, even though he's supposed to be a super awesome accomplished healer and everybody acts like he's an incredible fighter who saved a bunch of tieflings on the road against a pack of gnolls all by hisself, the hobgoblin warlord isn't a hobgoblin warlord, the drow cleric of the Absolute (Minthara) is a pretty weak piece of nothing who can easily be beaten, minotaurs don't act like minotaurs, and hook horrors don't act like hook horrors or have proper stats, and everyone jumps around like super heroes and shoves people three hundred feet off cliffs.

I'd say that sums up the issue. The whole game needs some serious Forgotten Realms infused into it. Right now, it's a great game, and I love it, but it is so UN-Forgotten Realms. The more I play it and analyze it, the more I can understand why so many feel it is a DOS 3 as opposed to a Baldur's Gate 3. Story and settings say it is Baldur's Gate 3, but mechanics and models say something else.

veteran
veteran
Don't get me wrong Ragitsu. I still feel that way. I still want it to be more D&D 5e and more Forgotten Realms.

That said, I still think BG3 is a great game even in it's current state. Can it be 1,000 times better? Absolute-ly. But currently, I still like it a lot.

Most of the stuff that I think would make it more FR and D&D they could do without having to beef up graphics and thus cause computer crashes.

1. 5e rules
2. 5e stats
3. Party of 6
4. Random Encounters Done Right
5. Day/Night
6. Better Rest Mechanics
7. Better UI
8. An end to exploits ESPECIALLY Shove

The lost goes on and on.

old hand
old hand
That said, I still think BG3 is a great game even in it's current state.

Allow me to clarify that I don't care about the game's quality - perceived or actual - if it ultimately fails to live up to its forebear.

Most of the stuff that I think would make it more FR and D&D they could do without having to beef up graphics and thus cause computer crashes.

1. 5e rules
2. 5e stats
3. Party of 6
4. Random Encounters Done Right
5. Day/Night
6. Better Rest Mechanics
7. Better UI
8. An end to exploits ESPECIALLY Shove

The lost goes on and on.

Here's a major source of aggravation->

9. Assuming the player knows more about Faerun than they should and/or inconsistently informing the player on key setting details. There are ways to help ease in neophytes to the setting while also respecting series veterans, but Larian doesn't seem to care about this consideration.

veteran
veteran
Totally agree with 9 as well.

Speaking of D&D stats and feeling more like BG3.

Ochre Jellies. Split. When a jelly that is medium or larger is subjected to lightning or slashing damage, it splits into two new jellies if it has at least 10 hit points. Each new jelly has hit points equal to half the original jellies, rounded down. New jellies are one size smaller than the original jelly.

Ocher jellies have 32 hit points usually. If I hit one in bg3 with a sword, it does not split into two new jellies. This is just another example of how the monsters do not act like they should in the game. I really want to see these kind of things in the game. It would make it definitely feel more like a true Baldur's Gate game if the monsters actually had the characteristics they're supposed to. This is partially what makes a jelly a unique monster to fight in D&D. Without split, it's just another bland monster that tries to slap the characters around.

Last edited by GM4Him; 09/02/22 06:32 AM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Leucrotta

^ Jump to 3:30.

Nice, "When you started your nerd life" "Answer "When I was born"

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 09/02/22 07:15 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
i also think that he has been misquoted a bit. He seems to think of BG IP just as a D&D project.
Just ask around what "BG IP" even means for people ...
If you manage to get two people give you exactly the same answer, i shall congratulate you. laugh

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Wormerine
i also think that he has been misquoted a bit. He seems to think of BG IP just as a D&D project.
Just ask around what "BG IP" even means for people ...
If you manage to get two people give you exactly the same answer, i shall congratulate you. laugh

Are you on retainer for Old Scratch or is this pro-bono work for perdition?

veteran
veteran
No idea what is that suppose to mean.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah well they could add day/night as a toggle in the graphic section and advertise their game on stadia for everyone not being able to buy the expansive hardware...
A lot of the older BG fans already play on stadia anyway - i would guess- since they probably don't feel like paying a lot of money for fancy new games that sacrificed content for graphics in terms of storage...
Also, to be completely fair, I think Larian is also somehow riding not only on the nostalgia wave, but also on the initial re-found attention and spike in popularity for the old infinity engine games when Beamdog release the EE versions on android. I mean, I was always a fan of the old games, but that certainly intensified from the moment I could start up BG/IWD/PT from my frigging phone or tablet rather than booting up an old (probably pirated) game in compatibility mode on my subpar laptop.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard