Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
The major issue I have with this quest is that the fire spreads in real time, while our characters are locked in place during conversation and the especially egregious use of dice-rolling here. Since the fire is spreading in real time, then the game is acting like this is an action game, with a time-sensitive component to complete our tasks (getting the people out of the burning building). But the UI and character movement are the opposite of what an action game's UI and movement should be. And if this quest is not supposed to be an action game, then the fire should not be spreading in real time while our characters are forced to stand around talking and rolling dice.

There needs to be better coordination between the environment designer and the quest designer.

Agreed, I have yet to be able to save both. And if you go up on the south west side and knock down the wall, jump the pile of rubble to save that one guy, then once you revive him he runs the wrong way out through the fire thus immolating him. And throwing water down only lasts for a few seconds then the fire pops up again.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Use the Conjure Water spell. The fire won't spread until you break the doors open, so save the Duke's counselor first, and then go to Benryn and grab him, conjure water your way out. My bigger issue is with the atrocious pathing and AI in this game causing NPC's to get stuck or not follow you as they should rather often.

Or your companions or NPC's walking right through your druid's Moonbeam and getting angry, etc.

Last edited by Zenith; 27/03/21 03:09 PM.
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Aazo
Agreed, I have yet to be able to save both. And if you go up on the south west side and knock down the wall, jump the pile of rubble to save that one guy, then once you revive him he runs the wrong way out through the fire thus immolating him. And throwing water down only lasts for a few seconds then the fire pops up again.

I have been able to save both, but it's just not fun having to fight the mechanics of foisting an action sequence onto the sluggish UI, dialogue boxes and dice-rolling. I would save before entering the burning building and there's always a chance that Benryn gets blinded or gets himself stuck while following my party out of the building. I'd then reload and try again.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Zenith
Use the Conjure Water spell. The fire won't spread until you break the doors open, so save the Duke's counselor first, and then go to Benryn and grab him, conjure water your way out. My bigger issue is with the atrocious pathing and AI in this game causing NPC's to get stuck or not follow you as they should rather often.

Or your companions or NPC's walking right through your druid's Moonbeam and getting angry, etc.

I've never tried saving the counselor first. I'd have Lae'zel pick up 2 or 3 water barrels to put out the fires, but I'd get only 2 seconds of reprieve before the ground that is now wet is burning again.

Yes, the terrible pathing and AI compound the problem of the mismatch between the environment and UI and dice-rolling mechanics. There shouldn't be any dice-rolling in a time-sensitive portion of the quest at all.

veteran
veteran
Definitely agree and had the same feeling when playing this part of the game. Like as if this was some kind of odd real-time action sequence being grafted onto a game that doesn't work that way elsewhere. You'd expect it to at least automatically initiate the turn based mode, so everything can burn in 6 second intervals.

I'd expect the same if trapped in a room that was suddenly filling with water where the PCs might drown. This should be signaled to the player by entering turn based gameplay as if a combat was occurring.

It should really autosave beforehand if they are throwing stuff like that at us. Really it should autosave at the start of every combat encounter and during any area transition. But certainly before we enter an environment that has a ticking clock before sudden doom. Esp when the whole rest of the game seems to take place outside of time altogether.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 28/03/21 03:27 AM.
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Like as if this was some kind of odd real-time action sequence being grafted onto a game that doesn't work that way elsewhere. You'd expect it to at least automatically initiate the turn based mode, so everything can burn in 6 second intervals.

Yeah, exactly. You put into words what I was thinking better than I could.

veteran
veteran
While "Torment: Tides of Numenera" was not really good, especially compared to planescape torment, I liked the crisis system there.
Most of the time it was normal combat, but there were also some good examples where the game started turn based mode otherwise:
- Two groups are talking. If you do nothing they will fight each other. You can spend your turns to convince them not to fight each other or you can side with one of them or you just wait and watch how they kill each other.
- Your party has to distract a guard while one of your chars tries to mess with their computer. You have to ask him to show you around and you should ask him stuff and slow him down al the time. If he sees one of your chars working on their computer the whole area becomes hostile.

Yes, everything in the game should go turn based there.

navigating in buildings is terrible sometimes.
You click somewhere and the chars run on the roof or to the level below. And then the camera moves so that you do not see your chars at all.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Passerby
I've never tried saving the counselor first. I'd have Lae'zel pick up 2 or 3 water barrels to put out the fires, but I'd get only 2 seconds of reprieve before the ground that is now wet is burning again.

may I add that a wet floor that is covered with the contents of 3 water barrels hould absolutely NOT start burning again until all the water is evaporated, which would take quite a while (so long that you could make it out EASILY); burning building or not.

stranger
stranger
Nearly a year on and this problem still persists. Really hoping patch 7 will fix this!

E
addict
addict
E
I distinctly remember the panic setting in the first few times I attempted this. It felt more like micro-managing a real time strategy game rather than turn based.

veteran
veteran
I played Benryn's rescue via Turn based mode. Problem is, it glitches if you do it entirely in TB.

So, I found out you have to TB it from just before opening the door to leading him out of the room. Once out of the room, then Realtime it again. If you don't, and you lead him out in TB mode, it glitches and doesn't complete the quest or you get locked in TB mode. It won't even let you save the counselor.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by GM4Him
So, I found out you have to TB it from just before opening the door to leading him out of the room.

Ah, that's probably what went wrong for me in my latest attempt. I was sure I'd managed to rescue him in TB mode in an earlier patch, but this time the whole room went up in flames while I was desperately clicking the turn-based mode button to no avail. Ended up reloading and breaking down the door from the next building in TB mode and he ran out that way after quitting TB mode with no problem. As folk said earlier in this thread, even just automatically going into TB mode when one of the doors opens (as already happens with some traps) would be a big improvement.

Hope we'll soon see this addressed in patch 7!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Did anything change in the latest patches?

I tried this a long time ago and I could not recue anyone:
- The camera inside buildings was often bad. There was often a wall or the roof in the way so I had problems to find a path.
- When clicking somewhere, sometimes my char wants to go to the level above or below me. Moving chars when there are several floors on top of each other could be a desaster.
- I am not sure when the fire starts to spread, especially if you do something else then entering through the main door.

So you have to find two people in different places in the burning building, talk to them and they have to follow you out while the fire is spreading fast.
From your comments I understand that you should do it in turn based mode, split your party and one group jumps to one person while the other group goes through the house to the other person.

Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
They changed the way scripted effects and turn-based mode interacted: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=821275#Post821275

I eventually parked all other characters in camp, equipped my MC with Crusher's Ring and Longstrider, and rescued both the councilor and Benryn with one character in turn-based mode. With only one character in-scene, the scripted effects do one step at a time like they are supposed to.

veteran
veteran
OMG jawdrop

Thank you for the link.
You saved me (and hopefully many other people) lots of trouble.

veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Originally Posted by RBarbare
They changed the way scripted effects and turn-based mode interacted: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=821275#Post821275
frown
Now that’s just silly

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Get to the door next to him (from the outside).

Enter TB mode.

Smash the door and click on the beam.

Pass the check and he will see himself out.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
The quest is broken for me right now because Benryn won't get up at all (no matter what option, pass or fail checks). It's been a bit wonky the last 2 patches, honestly.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I had my problems with this quest too.
Normally I go into the house, in which the body of Benryn's wife can be found, and destroy the wall to the other house and safe Benryn.
This time it was very difficult and as I had rescued him, he falls down to the floor and I can't help him. In the questlog it is noticed that I saved him and he will not be harmed by the flames.
When I talk to him the regular animations about grieving his wife death and his aks to search for the hidden money like always.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard