Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 26 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
veteran
veteran
This time i decided to make a little social experiment ...
First spoiler is just about you acusing me from something and me explaining you why you are wrong, with examples, diagrams, pictures and graphics (well, just examples laugh ) ... second part is actualy on topic ...

Feel free to compare how much shorter would my posts be if you would actualy READ them before you react. wink

Originally Posted by GM4Him
Like I said Ragnarok, you disagree.
Just out of curisosity ... with what exactly?

No need to be rude about it and accuse me of being illogical.
Okey, have it your way ... how im i suppose to call an argument that contradicts itself?

Please pick wich statement you concider logical and tell me why:
1) More danger in game -> players being more carefull -> resting less often.
2) More danger in game -> players being more carefull -> resting more often.

Just because YOU don't see the logic in things, doesn't mean there's no logic there.
True ...
But since "all the others" are unable to show me where that "present logic" is, i find i kinda hard to believe.

Right now it seems more like: Just because YOU want to see the logic in things, doesn't mean there's logic there. smile

I mean, if its right there ... just show me and i gladly admit that i was wrong. smile

Here is my claim for you to have example:
Saying that people will rest less if random encoutners will be implemented is false.
Bcs with random encounters world become more dangerous place ... therefore players will feel stronger urge to keep their power up, therefore they will recharge more often.

Cause and effect, simple rules. smile

Hey. If others agreed with you and told me I'm being totally illogical and there's nothing good at all in what I said, I'd be inclined to wonder if maybe I'm totally off base.
Well ... one would say that i would have to say that in the first place so they can "agreed with me". laugh
(Yes, talking about that part "there is nothing good at all" ... lets not play a scapegoat here, shall we?)

Also, those "others" would need at least show minimal acnowledge of both sides ... to be taking under concideration for "who have majority" argument.
I mean, we both know that most people simply skips all my posts for various reasons ... hardly you can agree or disagree with anything you didnt even bother to read. wink

However, if you notice, most of what I pointed out as benefits of random encounters, other people have said also.
Or, you just managed to get people who want random encounters express their support to suggestion to include random encounters.
I gues we will never know.

But you fail to recognize your own contradictions.
Now this is a straight lie ...
Sad part is that im affraid you know it. :-/

On the one hand, you're very opposed to people using exploits.
Really?
I wonder when i did that ... if you could provide me at least single example it would be much appreciated. smile

BTW ... pardon my poor english, but what exactly is difference between "being opposed to someone" and "totally against the same people" ?
I mean in my language "opposition" litteraly means being "against something", so ... as i understand is being opposed to people using exploits, would be exactly the same as being totally against people using exploits ...
Wich i never was. laugh

Then, on the other hand, you're totally against people potentially using random encounters as an exploit.
You mean that part where i litteraly told you that i never said im pro or against this potential exploit, and i was only pointing out that this opourtunity is there?

[toxic sarcasm]
Well ... i gues you got me there, totally contradicting something i never said by something else i never said. laugh
It look like you are perfectly right and not at all like if you are ignoring me and just keep repeating the same. smile
[/toxic sarcasm]

You have no problems with long rest spamming exploits, and height wins every time exploits and shoving exploits and drinking potions as bonus action exploits and stealth exploits and broken exploits like freezing an enemy in dialogue so you can easily sneak around behind him with every other character and steal everything from that person in real time while that person is frozen forever in turn based mode, and so on and so forth.
No i dont ...
I wonder if you know why. smile

Wanna know?
Its quite easy actualy and i said it at least thousand times allready ... bcs theese things can be easily avoided. laugh
I have no problems with any of those, bcs i simply ignore them and they stop exist for me ... if someone want to use them, i dont care, its his game and his 60€
I shall not, and therefore i see litteraly no reason for me to care about them. smile

But, for some reason, you are so upset about the possibility that someone could use random encounters to increase their loot and experience points?
No im not ...
It might surprise you, but that is the reason i told you in my last post that im not. laugh

Let me repeat it for you:
"Well if you read it properly you can find out i never said im not okey with it ... i just pointed out that this potential is there. smile "
See? Not even single word about me being upset ... or even against it ... on the contrary im litteraly telling you that this conclusion is false one.

Or do you want me to repeat that first sentence? Okey, no problem:
"Wich create both XP and Loot exploit potential."
See? Again not even single word about being upset, expressing displease, or anyhow pointing out that is wrong ... simple statement of possibility, nothing more, nothing less. wink

You know this posts will be MUCH shorter if you actualy acnowledge what i say. laugh

If you receive a random encounter once maybe every thirty minutes to an hour of gameplay, how is that a major exploit in the game?
As i said there is no such thing as "major" or "minor" exploit ...
There are exploits, and based on who is using it, in what situation is he using it, or what benefits it will bring him ... every exploit can be big or small ... depending on those circumstances.

But lets say every 30 minutes ...
Right now EA (if you do it whole) is worth aproximately cca 20h or gameplay.
That would mean 40 encounters.
Im too lazy to count them right now ... but from just quick look it seems like amount of combat was at least doubled. laugh
Wich obviously also means double amount of XP, amount of loot, amount of long rests and everything else related to combat.

And you are asking how is that an exploit? laugh
The exploit potential is that you can easily just return to the same place over and over and over and over and kill yet another and another and another and another "randomly" spawned NPCs ... to get yet another and another and another and another loot and XP ...

This is basicaly "infinite gold" and "infinite XP" mod. laugh

[sarcasm]
I believe the game will be much harder when group of level 7 players in full magic gear will attack Minthara in her goblin camp, bcs they spend 4h killing the same group of bandits in the crypt.
Doesnt sound exploitable at all to me. laugh
[/sarcasm]

On the contrary, you can literally use stealth in every situation to win, or you can literally freeze an enemy in dialogue, switch to characters not in dialogue or combat, move around in real time and position yourself so you can attack the enemy over and over again from the best possible position, and win every time. Or, spider lair, you can just wait until she's on a web, multiple times, and shoot her down so she loses like 20 HP a drop until she's almost dead.

Yes you can ...
Your point?

Just bcs something worse exists doesnt mean that bad things that are not so bad sudently become good. laugh
Yes, they are "lesser evil" compared to "greater evil" ... but noticed the therm?
Its still evil. wink

But most of all, you WANT them to make it so you can long rest all the time so that when the game gets to spellcasters hurling fireballs you can literally use them in every battle, long rest, and use them again in every battle spamming them and making every other class completely obsolete. Makes absolutely no sense.
Not sure how im i suppose to understand this sentence ... are you speaking about me speficily or in general? laugh

Since if you were adressing me, no i dont ... but even i would it make no difference, from what Swen want. smile
That is the reason why i restrict myself from resting too often ... for one it takes away my fun to burn everything with strongest spell possible, and i play to have fun ... and two (wich is probably more important for me) resting is mostly anoyance, i rather explore, fight and resolve puzzle than sit around the fire and listen the same old conversations i allready heared thousand times before. laugh

BUT if you were talking in general ... i still think "you" dont. laugh
I mean, keeping in mind less experienced players *i* think its good think that Larian decided to allow us rest almost anytime ... but *i* also believe that we should not be able to rest everytime.
Hag lair is perfect example, i love the place ... no, there is nothing stopping me from runing out and rest as much as i need, on the other hand i also dont need to
laugh but if someone do, the game is totally playable for him aswell. Wich is important.

Sure this problem will be void once difficiulties will be introduced, but until then we just have to all play at same playfield. smile

Random Encounters during travel, if done right, would only add a small element of risk for the purpose of making players be on guard at all times.
Again that vague "if done right" ... well, surprise surprise, anything that is "done right" is "done right". Who would expect that? laugh
The question is what does it even mean "done right"?

If you never know when you might suddenly drop into combat, you aren't going to use your high powered spells constantly in case you get suddenly jumped by a troll or a couple of gnolls or ogres or whatever.
Sure ... you can either save it, or restore it asap.
Both approaches are valid.

In either way the point is the same "to have prepared your hight powered spells ... just in case".
I simply believe that you have to take both in concideration, since THAT is the situation. laugh

[quote=GM4Him]Here's what I mean. I just got done fighting Ragzlin. I have 1 HP for one character, 9 HP for another, 5 HP for another and 4 HP for another. Game has no random encounters, and I know I've just cleared a huge portion of the game map. Inside the goblin base, there are no enemies at all. Now, if there are no random encounters, I don't need to worry about healing at all. Why bother? There are no enemies left. So why should I waste potions? Why should I waste a short rest? I'm good. Area cleared.
Ah an example. smile Excelent!

Lets see ...
Well, this is a good one, i agree you dont need to "bother" with healing after all your enemies are done ...
Lets put aside for a second that you dont know if *all* your enemies are done, unless you are metagaming ...

I think its totally safe for you to dont bother with healing at all and ... and what exactly? laugh
Sory i just dont see any conclusion here.

I mean the important question is what will you with your 1HP, 9HP, 5HP and 4HP halfdead party do now?
If that is gameover for you, then yes it really dont mean anything how much HP you have left.
If you go loot, and then teleport to vendor to sell it ... then i gues it doesnt matter either.
If you will heal them with cleric, since you dont need to worry about your spellslots ... well you can aswell long rest. laugh
If you went to explore, then i gues you made a misstake ... did you noticed all those skelletons we are looting in games? Especialy those who have healing potions by themselves? Well, those are adventurers who decided to "not waste a potion" and then trigger some trap. laugh

I would need this example to lead somewhere. laugh
This tells me nothing, you described the situation and thats it.

But, if there's the potential that while I'm trying to work my way out I might random encounter 2 ochre jellies, or 2 hobgoblins, or 3 more roaming goblins, or 2 giant spiders, or whatever, a sense of danger is created in the game. I COULD risk trying to get out without healing, and I would probably succeed because the chance of a random encounter in the goblin base is maybe 10% chance on a dice roll every 300 feet of movement or something like that. Well, am I willing to risk it, or should I heal just in case I am unlucky and encounter something I won't be able to handle? This creates potential dangers that can occur at any moment, since you won't know when it was that the game rolled the last time to determine if you encounter a random encounter. It makes you strategize and think, and it adds a "living" element to the world. It isn't just some stagnant map where nothing ever changes unless it's scripted, and once you've played the game through once, you know exactly what to expect. You never know when something will jump out at you, so you best not be stupid and continue roaming a hostile camp with very little health, etc.
This is interesting scenario ... a little idealistic tho, but interesting.

As i allready said, the main problem with PC game is that everything litteraly "needs to be scripted" ... so, yup things still dont change, unless someone in Larian will implement several variatiaons of the same encounter. laugh
(note that when you create two versions for one encounter its no longer matter of "chance" that players will not see one of them, that is certain)

You say "It makes you strategize and think" ... i say it makes me use one of my bzillion potions, healing scrolls, or tons of food for long rest.
Its the most logical move. :-/
Sure you can explore damaged and at half strength ... but the less you know about your surroundings, the less rational move it would be. laugh
So the only way to as you say "done right" random encounters would be rework whole game. :-/

And, now to Draigo's point, random encounters is meant to prevent rest spam. If you know you could be attacked by a troll if you long rest in goblin camp, but there's no chance of it if you rest in the Druid's Grove, you'll make sure you rest at Druid's Grove and not try to long rest while exploring the goblin base.
That is exactly it ... if the mechanic is negated so easily as by clicking on fast travel ... why even bother with it?
Game companies usualy try to remove as much of "just running around" as possible (except survival games, there its usualy core part of design) its called Quality of Life improvements.

One of example for quality of life improvement is ability to "magicaly trade items between characters" without need to do that manualy.
Or another would be ability to send things to camp ... instead of traveling there, put item to the chest, and traveling back.
Or yet another would be ability to fast travel from everywhere, instead forcing us to roam back and forth between Vendor and Loot waypoints.

If you add the thing that in spiders cave i can be attacked when long resting, what is holding me back from simply travel outside to rest?
Nothing.
So what exactly does this feature add? It effectively added five minutes of our characters jogging through the spider cave. laugh

You make it sound like a troll would be easy to take out, so spam long rest more frequently so you can trigger the troll early. That would be foolish. Why? Because after you've wasted all your spells on the troll, you try to long rest again and might, maybe run into a couple of hobgoblins as well.
How?
When i travel to my camp ... i find a Troll there ... so i waste all my spellslots on him and kill him ... now i AM in my camp, and it is clean, since i just cleaned it ...

Why (and more important how) would i "try to long rest again" ?
I simply crawl to my tent after i kill a Troll and rest, there is no try. laugh

AND, if they prevent you from simply teleporting from anywhere back to Druid's Grove, then it works. OR, if you try to fast travel, they implement a random encounters interruption potential every time you fast travel, symbolizing that you traveled on foot to the nearest portal and there was a chance that you might encounter something on the way. Either way, limiting long rest spamming, as Draigo said, is essential to later levels of spellcasting. (Plus everything else he said.)
I believe you noticed that they added option to "run from combat" in ... im not sure if that was last patch, or some previous to be honest ... well, anyway in the past. laugh

So what exactly is holding me back from simply play "all in" and if i just happen to walk into a hard random encounter in both Long Rest, or Fast Travel ...
To simply run away and then do the same action without the encounter?

I mean sure, you can say that encounters will not dissapear, they can theoreticaly keep waiting for us forewer ...
In that case you just created scenario, when Random Number Generator is just generating Game Over for unexperienced new players.
Does that seem like fun to you? :-/

I mean dont get me wrong, i allready noticed that you are creating the best possible game experience for *youreself* ... but think about it for a second, would you? wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'll only answer the first question at the moment. I frankly don't have time for the rest right now.

You disagree with Random Encounters. You don't like them or want them.

Therefore, everything you say is against it. Thus, you come up with arguments like how Random Encounters can be exploited by players to gain loot and XP.

But, you aren't against long rest spamming. And that's just illogical to me. You want to be able to spam long rest as much as you want, and it IS a much bigger, more serious exploit.

Fireball 3 times, kills all monsters. Long rest. Next fight. Fireball 3 times, kills all monsters. Long rest. Next fight. Fireball 3 times, kills all monsters. This is a gameplay major exploit. There is literally nothing in game to stop this.

Last edited by GM4Him; 14/02/22 12:43 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Eh. You know what. It probably doesn't matter. They're not likely going to do any of this anyway.

veteran
veteran
In some twisted way this is actualy quite fascinating ...
You come to conclusion ... you were told that conclusion is false, repeately, witch examples and proofs ... you stated that your conclusion is ilogical ... and yet you keep claiming its right one. laugh

I wonder why do you keep persuating me about what i said?
Dont you think that i know it well enough? After all i was there when i said it. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 14/02/22 10:11 AM.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Sooooo. Back on topic. Lather. Rinse. Repeat until they actually implement this.

5e rules, at least as a difficulty OPTION, better implemented would make the game more fun, strategic, and it would make it so classes are valuable, items are valuable, and gimmicks and exploits are not as valuable or even present in the game. Monsters with proper stats would be unique, instead of all of them being ranged attack, high ground shoving maniacs with no real uniqueness at all. Phase spiders would be true phase spiders and attack close range. Jellies would split when hit with slashing weapons or lightning. Etc. Etc. Etc.

And the world would be more alive with a sense of potential danger around every corner via random encounters. Don't sleep in dangerous places, or BAM! You never know what might attack you in the night. Best find a safe spot to rest first. You won't be as inclined to long rest in a goblin camp that's hostile to you because you might just trigger a fight you can't handle. Best to be sure you're well prepared before going into such dangerous places and/or find a safer place in a room where you can lock the door before long resting. And wizards and clerics won't be nigh invincible at higher levels because spamming long rest to recover spell slots may just be their undoing.

Last edited by GM4Him; 14/02/22 01:42 PM.
addict
addict
And the world would be more alive with a sense of potential danger around every corner via random encounters. Don't sleep in dangerous places, or BAM! You never know what might attack you in the night. Best find a safe spot to rest first. You won't be as inclined to long rest in a goblin camp that's hostile to you because you might just trigger a fight you can't handle. Best to be sure you're well prepared before going into such dangerous places and/or find a safer place in a room where you can lock the door before long resting. And wizards and clerics won't be nigh invincible at higher levels because spamming long rest to recover spell slots may just be their undoing.
Argh... I hope this will make you happy https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1306179349494849536
Also if you didn't notice: the sleeping cutscene is actually 2 cutscenes playing one right after another with our HP beeing restored after the first one. I believe it is made that way to be able to put an encounter in between.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
Argh... I hope this will make you happy https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1306179349494849536
Also if you didn't notice: the sleeping cutscene is actually 2 cutscenes playing one right after another with our HP beeing restored after the first one. I believe it is made that way to be able to put an encounter in between.

So, first off, sorry to annoy you, Zellin.

Second, my device was having a hard time pulling that link up. Is it basically saying Larian IS going to do random encounters post EA? I think that's what you are saying, but wanted to make sure.

Third, I was partially trying to bring it back to the main topic, since it seems to have been derailed and become about random encounters only. Yes, I brought that up yet again with everything else, but only because it's one small portion of the overall point of the thread. I didn't want to exclude it going forward.

But, ultimately, I'm just trying to get more of a true D&D experience with BG3, which means we need some true 5e rules, stats, less homebrew, blah, blah, blah.

I do hate repeating all this over and over, but I know how people work. Don't keep bringing things up and they either forget or feel like you must not have really wanted it. If they want me to shut up, all they have to do is say, "Hey. We're going to do an option for true 5e rules and stats post EA," or "No, we're not, so stop asking.". A response from THEM is all it takes.

addict
addict

Second, my device was having a hard time pulling that link up. Is it basically saying Larian IS going to do random encounters post EA? I think that's what you are saying, but wanted to make sure.

Third, I was partially trying to bring it back to the main topic, since it seems to have been derailed and become about random encounters only. Yes, I brought that up yet again with everything else, but only because it's one small portion of the overall point of the thread. I didn't want to exclude it going forward.

But, ultimately, I'm just trying to get more of a true D&D experience with BG3, which means we need some true 5e rules, stats, less homebrew, blah, blah, blah.

I do hate repeating all this over and over, but I know how people work. Don't keep bringing things up and they either forget or feel like you must not have really wanted it. If they want me to shut up, all they have to do is say, "Hey. We're going to do an option for true 5e rules and stats post EA," or "No, we're not, so stop asking.". A response from THEM is all it takes.
The link contains Larian inner conversation in which they consider adding "random nightly visitor", say that this is a "good idea", but also something for "post EA". Everything in "" is a literal quotation of their employee words. So yes, you'll probably get random encounters, but with full release. I suppose they want less randomness in EA. I may add that the screenshot that Swen got hidden appeared around the same time in another place and it was showing that something wreaked havoc in the camp, but here you will need to trust my memory and understanding and I wouldn't trust them after the amount of things I read about the game.
About the first, third and the last part. I understand why you are repeating things, but in my opinion you're going too far with repeating the exact same things. It's like one of those youtube videos of 1 hour of something. Try to imagine the work of Larian employees, who are supposed to read this forum and they read you repeating the same exact thoughts on a daily if not hourly basis. I feel bad for them and for the other good thoughts and ideas which are drowning under this flood. And we know that they won't say anything even if they would like to, because of the consequence of being obligated to do what they promised even if they will eventually find out that it creates a ton of bugs and it's easier to cut the feature out than fix it (happens in development). So it's not any kind of annoyment by your thoughts, but you are sincerely getting me worried about where this kind of behavior may lead. Could you, please, act in a more "balanced" way? I believe it will be more helpful.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I'm not at all opposed to a Story mode that removes most of the mechanical challenges. I think Larian should have included at least 3 difficulty levels already in the EA so we wouldn't have to argue about stuff that gets sorted with Story / Normal / Core Rules settings.
I usually play on normal in most games, so I would like the options I like to be available on normal as well. I like having combat, just not the boring stuff!
Yeah, but usually your idea of "boring stuff" is anything that could make a game mechanically interesting and/or doesn't strictly relate to snuggling bare-chested Halsin.

You hate any form of resource management, you object challenging combat, you hate any type of inconvenience (i.e. occasional impossibility to teleport from a certain spot or to rest-spam at will) that forces you to evaluate your next action and doesn't pave your way into an effortless stroll. Etc, etc.
You generally seem to be a kind and friendly person, but you also happen to be my personal Anti-Christ of game design.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin

The link contains Larian inner conversation in which they consider adding "random nightly visitor", say that this is a "good idea", but also something for "post EA". Everything in "" is a literal quotation of their employee words. So yes, you'll probably get random encounters, but with full release. I suppose they want less randomness in EA. I may add that the screenshot that Swen got hidden appeared around the same time in another place and it was showing that something wreaked havoc in the camp, but here you will need to trust my memory and understanding and I wouldn't trust them after the amount of things I read about the game.
About the first, third and the last part. I understand why you are repeating things, but in my opinion you're going too far with repeating the exact same things. It's like one of those youtube videos of 1 hour of something. Try to imagine the work of Larian employees, who are supposed to read this forum and they read you repeating the same exact thoughts on a daily if not hourly basis. I feel bad for them and for the other good thoughts and ideas which are drowning under this flood. And we know that they won't say anything even if they would like to, because of the consequence of being obligated to do what they promised even if they will eventually find out that it creates a ton of bugs and it's easier to cut the feature out than fix it (happens in development). So it's not any kind of annoyment by your thoughts, but you are sincerely getting me worried about where this kind of behavior may lead. Could you, please, act in a more "balanced" way? I believe it will be more helpful.

Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback.

Honestly, I'm getting pretty tired anyway. For a year and a half, saying the same old stuff over and over and going round and round with Ragnarok, and other - though mostly Rag - trying to actually stay respectful to him/her - is wearing me out. I can't take it.

So, maybe you're right. If Larian doesn't know where many of us stand at this point...

veteran
veteran
saying the same old stuff over and over and going round and round with Ragnarok, and other - though mostly Rag - trying to actually stay respectful to him/her
Wich is actualy quite funny bcs even this very sentence is as disrespectfull as one can be. -_-

old hand
old hand
It's less disrespectful than the attitude you give in your average post, rag :insincere winking smileyface:

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
/shrug

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
saying the same old stuff over and over and going round and round with Ragnarok, and other - though mostly Rag - trying to actually stay respectful to him/her
Wich is actualy quite funny bcs even this very sentence is as disrespectfull as one can be. -_-

How is this disrespectful? It's the truth. Did I insult you? No. I simply said I'm tired of saying the same old stuff over and over and going round and round with mostly you.

Look at most of my posts. Who do I go back and forth with more than you?

I'm tired of it. And as far as "actually stay respectful," yes. It's because you frustrate me, so I have a hard time not disrespecting you. If me saying this insults you, that's on you.

Sigh. This is probably where you say, "That's irrelevant" or "that's illogical."

So, let's get back on topic now, shall we? Anyone have anything relavant to say about D&D 5e rules that HASN'T been said a thousand times?

Last edited by GM4Him; 15/02/22 01:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
How is this disrespectful?
Well i could tell you ...
But mostly you ignore whatever i write and keep saying the same, so why bother.

Like this. wink

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I do think the Scrolls of Revivify should be changed into Scrolls of Raise Dead if they really want to keep them. Since Revivify can only be done within 1 minute of death but Raise Dead can be done within 10 days. They should also add the material consumption later on for these, 300 gp diamonds should be pretty hard to come by until you get to Baldurs Gate proper

veteran
veteran
Personaly i hope and believe that cost of theese scrolls will be dramaticaly incerased on release ...
Right now it simply would be too frustrating to keep reloading bcs some unballanced monster squished us like overripe fruit. smile

Its Early Acess after all ...
We should expect bugs, we should expect placeholders, we should expect unfinished things ... and we most certainly should expect some of those can kill us on spot without any defence.
(Do you remember that bug when Druids killed their party for just being too close? laugh That kind of things.)

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by DraigoZarovich
I do think the Scrolls of Revivify should be changed into Scrolls of Raise Dead if they really want to keep them. Since Revivify can only be done within 1 minute of death but Raise Dead can be done within 10 days. They should also add the material consumption later on for these, 300 gp diamonds should be pretty hard to come by until you get to Baldurs Gate proper

I don't think switching Revivify for Raise Dead is the solution. The solution is that Revivify should only be able to be used by select classes, AND if the user isn't high enough of a level they should have to make a roll to see if they succeed, AND they should only be able to be used within the first minute after a person dies.

So, combat should not end if you have a dead companion unless the player purposely ends Turn-Based Mode. The game should continue to track how many rounds the person has been dead for - sigh - like in Solasta (sigh - I had to say it). If you can use a Revivify scroll within 10 rounds after death, the character is saved. If not, they're dead. Then, you either need to go to Withers to raise them from the dead, spending 200 GP (which should be more like 500 since that's, I think, how much it actually costs for a Raise Dead diamond), or you should have to find a (very rare) Raise Dead scroll AND 500 GP diamond.

Raise Dead scrolls should be dished out VERY seldomly. They are rare items, not things Larian should hand out like candy, like they are Revivify scrolls. They (Raise Dead Scrolls), and the diamonds that are necessary to cast them, should be few and far between. They should make players go, "Oh thank God! A Raise Dead Scroll AND diamond! Now I have a safety net. This is great especially since I"m about to fight a beholder in the Underdark. I wish I had two!"

Revivify, on the other hand, is a lower spell with the 1 minute limit, so it is a bit more common and is more appropriate to hand out frequently. They just need to actually implement the rules correctly so that neither of these items is OP, like Revivify Scrolls are currently.

I mean, why even bother having death at all in the game if you're going to hand out a ton of Revivify scrolls and make it so you can use them at any point after someone dies? There's no excitement at all to that. Only IF your entire party is wiped is death even remotely an issue in BG3.

I've had Astarion live, and everyone else died in my party (Gith Patrol Fight), but Astarion used Revivify Scrolls to bring everyone back. Psssh! Lame. Astarion, Vampire Spawn Rogue, uses Revivify scrolls AFTER everyone's been dead for like 10 minutes (I fled with him to Waukeen's Rest and the Flaming Fist helped me kill the rest of the Gith). That's just wrong on so many levels.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DraigoZarovich
What should be done upon death is an interesting question for BG3 / 5e rules. Currently, death in BG3 is very... un-impactful. The only penalty to most character death is 200gp (a pittance) and losing them for the remainder of that combat. Honestly, I think a DAO-like injury system would work better with Larian's BG3 philosophy - perhaps 2 failed Death STs knocks the character out for the combat, short of some reviving spell - normal healing won't work. But after the combat ends, they get up with [1 stage of exhaustion, an ability score penalty until next long rest, etc].

I would like Scrolls of Revivify/Scrolls of Raise Dead to have proper time limits, but on the other hand I don't want the super-powerful Scrolls of Raise Dead to be handed out by everyone/available in shops, which would be the current requirement under BG3's lack of permadeath philosophy. (Sidenote: I don't believe that material components are necessary when using a scroll; those materials were already used to create the scroll. Correspondingly, the price for a Scroll of Revivify/Raise Dead should include that 300/500gp diamond.) Scrolls of Revivify can be more common and used for reviving characters during combat, and Scrolls of Raise Dead...can be reserved for Hard Mode.

There can be a setting in game - Injury System or 5e Death - where the normal difficulty mode defaults to the former (described in my first paragraph). The latter system works like 5e - Revivify only works 1 minute after death, Scrolls of Raise Dead are appropriately expensive and rare, and the Hooded Skeleton either can't resurrect allies or it costs an appropriate amount (~1250-2000 gp).

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Yes, material components are used in making a scroll. I agree with both sides but I also see that Larian will not lock the revive spells to the proper classes due to their design philosophy.

A good way to do it could be what Pathfinder:Kingsmaker and Wrath do, which is the first death puts you on Death's Door. You get up at 1 hp but retain the deaths door condition, where if you die again before its cured, you die die, thus need revive. This could be put on the easiest difficulty. Then the normal/hard mode could be the proper rules.

Everyone being able to use the combat Revivify isn't that powerful without a way to heal up, and its already the most accessible. Raise Dead, Reincarnation, Resurrection, True Resurrection, and (Torm forbid) Wish should be left to their actual classes.

Page 22 of 26 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard