Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
addict
addict
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Majorly. I've been wondering if it was just me thinking he's been quite off topic lately.
Lately? He was polluting every topic with his piano music and DLC-characters from the moment he appeared on the forum.

And eh, I would love to see better projectiles in general. Arrows, magic missiles... Ranged combat got not too much love so far.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I definitely agree with regard to trajectories, I hate to say it, but it just looks kind of silly. I'd also rather the projectiles looked like arrows/bolts as opposed to projectiles fired from tesla-powered laser bows, but I guess someone somewhere thinks they look cool.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
Majorly. I've been wondering if it was just me thinking he's been quite off topic lately.
Lately? He was polluting every topic with his piano music and DLC-characters from the moment he appeared on the forum.

And eh, I would love to see better projectiles in general. Arrows, magic missiles... Ranged combat got not too much love so far.

Lol. I was trying to be nice.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G

Really? You guys are always on the topic.

You guys want better Gameplay. I would prefer better Characters, its RPG after all. RPGs typicall focus on story, characters etc. That "disco light" is quite silly if asked from me. Wasnt this meant to be "mature" game.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 14/02/22 09:32 AM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G

My piano idea is serious idea, it should boost the game's energy level by a ton, whats lacking undoubtedly. Hell, even this thread is kind of proof of it. You guys are nitpicking.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 14/02/22 09:38 AM.
W
W
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX

Really? You guys are always on the topic.

You guys want better Gameplay. I would prefer better Characters, its RPG after all. RPGs typicall focus on story, characters etc. That "disco light" is quite silly if asked from me. Wasnt this meant to be "mature" game.

Maybe you would get better replies if you explained what you mean instead of just blurting out a bunch of random words?
Take for instance your request for better characters, What characters are you talking about?
The protagonist? The Companions? The NPC:s?
And what is it you want to improve with said characters? You can't just say that you want them to be "better" since that is highly subjective and might mean different things to different people.

Last edited by williams85; 14/02/22 09:54 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by williams85
Maybe you would get better replies if you explained what you mean instead of just blurting out a bunch of random words?
Take for instance your request for better characters, What characters are you talking about?
And what is it you want to improve with said characters? You can't just say that you want them to be "better" since that is highly subjective and might mean different things to different people.
No-no. Dont' bother yourself with this. It's not about explanation. He explained his suggestions long ago. The problem is that he keeps on reminding what he suggested in every topic that is not even remotely related to his suggestions. And let's not encourage further deviation from the topic.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
[quote=GreatWarrioX][quote=GM4Him][quote=Zellin][quote=GM4Him]

You said it, in the end, this is Larian's game, not mine. I dont want to take developers role, but I like to give ideas/opinions/suggestions, etc. Every company for themselves, they sink or swim.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 14/02/22 12:01 PM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
No-no. Dont' bother yourself with this. It's not about explanation. He explained his suggestions long ago. The problem is that he keeps on reminding what he suggested in every topic that is not even remotely related to his suggestions. And let's not encourage further deviation from the topic.

Old saying goes, dont feed the troll.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
One more detail that makes BG3 so immersion breaking. It absolutely make no sense in this world, like a lot of other thing.

What gameplay has to do with immersion? This game is gonna be a game, video game.

Sometimes when I read these forums. You guys want some VR-stuff. VR has never been popular in game industry, they wanna keep it at "video game".

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 14/02/22 12:07 PM.
W
W

Ok then, just wanted to help the poor guy. smile

veteran
veteran
What gameplay has to do with immersion? This game is gonna be a game, video game.
Well, it's a roleplaying game, not an arcade. Arguably a more important goal of any system in an RPG would be to reinforce the idea of the character, rather then be tactically satiosfying in itself (though the latter is still desirable).

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You are not making any valid point here.
Gameplay has plenty to do with immersion and the way your game uses its mechanics and subsystems to support (rather than contrast) its narrative plays a key role in achieving said immersion.

That aside, can you kindly stop attempting to derail a thread that is focuses on a very specific issue with your personal gripes about other completely unrelated stuff?

Last edited by Tuco; 14/02/22 04:33 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Well, it's a roleplaying game, not an arcade. Arguably a more important goal of any system in an RPG would be to reinforce the idea of the character, rather then be tactically satiosfying in itself (though the latter is still desirable).

Its roleplaying game? I think its just a marketting gimmick in this case. RPG is extremely vague term in game industry. RPG is so vague it could be Mc Donald's Burger. When I was playing DOS2 I didnt get RP vibe even once. I felt like I was in a journey, thats why I think Narrator is match for Larian's style.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 15/02/22 12:17 AM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Tuco
You are not making any valid point here.
Gameplay has plenty to do with immersion and the way your game uses its mechanics and subsystems to support (rather than contrast) its narrative plays a key role in achieving said immersion.

That aside, can you kindly stop attempting to derail a thread that is focuses on a very specific issue with your personal gripes about other completely unrelated stuff?

Do you have example of this kind of game? Immersion is created by what you see and hear.

Ive suggested that Larian should add Dynamic Weather to the game, that should boost imemrsion by a ton, put them to the next level, compared to the other companies.

Btw, I dont see it that I derailed this thread. We are still pretty much on the topic. This kind of stuff tend to go together. Immersion, gameplay, roleplaying etc. If you want to be sharpshooter or archer, just add Battle Personalities.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 15/02/22 12:34 AM.
veteran
veteran
Do you have example of this kind of game? Immersion is created by what you see and hear.

Ive suggested that Larian should add Dynamic Weather to the game, that should boost imemrsion by a ton, put them to the next level, compared to the other companies.

Btw, I dont see it that I derailed this thread. We are still pretty much on the topic. This kind of stuff tend to go together. Immersion, gameplay, roleplaying etc. If you want to be sharpshooter or archer, just add Battle Personalities.

I've color-coded the quote for you to distinguish two factors: Pink is off-topic/derailing, and yellow is incorrect. The rest is relevant to the thread.

It's a feedback-form post, in this case the curvature of projectiles' trajectory (and why that's silly). If it's not "I agree" or "I disagree" with elaborations to why, or directly talking about how projectiles work in BG3, or the UI/UX representation of its interactions in the world, then it's not on topic.

veteran
veteran

Everything. BG3 blatantly ignores the rules of physics and logic in it's gameplay. The gameplay constantly reminds you it's indeed just a video game rather than a story with characters that could be real, at least on some level.

What makes The Witcher games or Dark Souls so immersive? The gameplay in those games looks and feels convincing and real without any of that cartoony shoving, gamey debuff acid surfaces and funny projectile arcs crap. The world and characters become more believable and relatable. It's easier to get immersed in those worlds and forget it's just a funny video game with clever mechanics, puzzles and systems. In BG3 I'm forced to pay too much attention to surreal surfaces, gamey puzzles and power slapping enemies into lava. I didn't have that problem with BG1, BG2, IWD, IWD2, NWN, NWN2 or even Dragon Age: Origins.

And before someone makes the inevitable "but the game has magic it will never be realistic lol" argument: having magic is completely different from a setting abiding by the rules of real world physics and logic. Magic is the exception to that which makes it special and exciting. If everything is "magic" nothing feels like magic.

RPG's that are telling mature stories (to the level of awkward realistic sex scenes!) should be more anchored in reality than BG3 gameplay currently is. That's Larian's problem with their loose direction that aims to let developers be fully creative and committed. The passion shows but different dev teams can be making different games. I think they need slightly stricter guidelines and game direction without losing that creativity and developer ownership.

Last edited by 1varangian; 15/02/22 12:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Composer

I've color-coded the quote for you to distinguish two factors: Pink is off-topic/derailing, and yellow is incorrect. The rest is relevant to the thread.

It's a feedback-form post, in this case the curvature of projectiles' trajectory (and why that's silly). If it's not "I agree" or "I disagree" with elaborations to why, or directly talking about how projectiles work in BG3, or the UI/UX representation of its interactions in the world, then it's not on topic.

Composer, you are awesome. The way you lay down the law. 😁

Oh dang. This is totally derailing. 😳

Last edited by GM4Him; 15/02/22 12:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think something that haven't been discussed are the sounds effects - at least not in this content. There is some oddly louds stuff happening when you shoot a bow/crossbow and it doesn't in anyway remind me of those weapons. There is some weird click the bow/crossbow is equipped and it sounds like some cooking pans are getting smashed for a hit effect.

While visual effects and strange shooting arcs are on thing, I think BG3 could benefit a lot of finer foley sounds. That applies to ranged weapons, but also riddiculous earth shaking STIOPS when landing a jump and melee weapons as well. I think it adds to "cartoon" nature of BG3. Soundscape is an important, and often underappreciated part, with a big impact of how a film/game feels. I remember Josh Sawyer telling a story how in EA of PoE1 people would complain about a weapon being underpowered until they gave it a better sound effect. Shooting in FiraXCOM feels good, in part because sounds effects are top notch.

I think with ranged weapons it would be better if:
1) trajectory would made some kind of sense
2) "aiming" was accompanied by the character drawing the string/aiming at least approcimated to where you are aiming (I imagine, having the character follow aiming reticle would pricey, so I would settle with static aimining pause, over having the weapon down as it is now). With bows having a nice "draw" sounds when entering aiming to correspond to the animation
3) A more arrow like flight and impact sound.

EDIT. Typos

Last edited by Wormerine; 15/02/22 03:55 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I think something that haven't been discussed are the sounds effects - at least not in this content. There is some oddly louds stuff happening when you shoot a bow/crossbow and it doesn't in anyway remind me of those weapons. There is some weird click the bow/crossbow is equipped and it sounds like some cooking pans are getting smashed for a hit effect.

While visual effects and strange shooting arcs are on thing, I think BG3 could benefit a lot of finer foley sounds. That applies to ranged weapons, but also riddiculous earth shaking STIOPS when landing a jump and melee weapons as well. I think it adds to "cartoon" nature of BG3. Soundscape is an important, and often appreciated part, of who a film/game feels. I remember Josh Sawyer telling a story how in EA of PoE1 people would complain about a weapon being underpowered until they gave it a better sound effect. Shooting in FiraXCOM feels good, in part because sounds effects are top notch.

I think with ranged weapons it would be better if:
1) trajectory would made some kind of sense
2) "aiming" was accompanied by the character drawing the string/aiming at least approcimated to where you are aiming (I imagine, having the character follow aiming reticle would pricey, so I would settle with static aimining pause, over having the weapon down as it is now). With bows having a nice "draw" sounds when entering aiming to correspond to the animation
3) A more arrow like flight and impact sound.

+1

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard