Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hey all.

This thread is for talking about the PFH as it's being streamed (and perhaps 1h later ... but then, you know, we can/should create threads for dedicated topics if we want to actually help with feedback gathering).

Anyway, first things I heard.

1) You can throw a goblin on another goblin apparently. Perhaps more/better than before. Niara's Githyanki Wizard has sunny days ahead of her.

2) Everything you could criticise about the hotbar, it's now gone. A bold statement from Larian, right here.

3) Tool tips improved. Lore separated from mechanisms. Cool !

4) It will no longer be possible to use the camera as a super, invisible, silent, 100% successful scout. Cool !

Please Larian, continue telling me about non-content, functionalities/features/mechanics changes. I remember a certain Patch 5 that was going in the right direction.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 15/02/22 06:27 PM. Reason: Edited title ... I meant Hell, not Home.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow. Continuous feed paper. I haven't seen that in decades

A barbarian just showed up

Last edited by Eagle Pursuit; 15/02/22 06:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
I can't really pay attention now since I'm at work, but if nothing else, I'm already glad for the revamped hotbar system.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
OP Offline
addict
And the Wolfheart just showed up. That guy went from random RPG person on YouTube to getting a pre-release access to Solasta and Dark Alliance ... and now he is being dubbed* by Larian. Impressive.

(* Is that how you talk about knights being made knights ?)

old hand
old hand
Doesn't look like we have proper reactions yet, but I never expected it with Barbarian being the focus of the patch.

The current combat demonstration had them hover over a tooltip for a brief moment that said 'Prepare', which sounds like ready actions...

They may have nerfed the ability to pick up and throw enemies, it looked like there was a percentage indicator when they attempted to pick up a goblin, which means proper grapple rules are in instead of 100% chance as long as your strength was high enough.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 15/02/22 06:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Please Larian, continue telling me about non-content, functionalities/features/mechanics changes.
Yup. Everything they mentioned sounds fantastic, and what the game really needed. Can't comment on any specific change until I play the update, but UI already looks like a massive improvement.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Still no custom bodies... my barbarian will look just as skinny as my wizard frown

Really excited about the UI though hopefully it addresses the Inventory issues.

Last edited by Eddiar; 15/02/22 06:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm just peeking in, while teh SWTOR patch is downloading, but I'm happy, that Wolfheart gets a bit attention, maybe the gameplay will be better grin

If it is only barbarian (plus yay for the new hotbar), I might finish my current games first before downloading the patch. Although I hope for Karlach as a companion.

Edit: wow, you now have a search function for your inventory - that is neat.

Last edited by fylimar; 15/02/22 06:37 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
If it is only barbarian (plus yay for the new hotbar), I might finish my current games first before downloading the patch. Although I hope for Karlach as a companion
They have been teasing fireball (aka. level 5) but then Barbarian smashed ice sculpture of a Mindflayer - so I am not sure if it was a red herring, or if they will also announce level 5. We will see. So far QoL changes already make it my fav updates. Will be diving in to see if there is anything that I can find to complain about.

According to Sven, more UI updates are in production.

veteran
veteran
I'm at my gym trying to throw a peek at the stream from time to time, but between noise and people asking me stuff I'm really catching just some detail every few minutes.
If anyone is willing to summarize the key point I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/02/22 06:38 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Wow, the new UI is actually really clean. Probably the cleanest I've ever seen in a cRPG. Seems like they took Solasta's UI and condensed it and made it a lot more intuitive (especially in regards to spells). Major kudos to the devs.

EDIT: Group sneak!

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 15/02/22 06:40 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Wow. The new UI for the hotbar and character screen sounds ... much better ?

I'll have to wait to form a better opinion. But if we can do fancy things like filter hotbar icons (basically a sort of access to a sub-menu), who knows ... maybe the "sort inventory" feature will now be actually functional ? (By which I mean, no longer needing to sort according to another criterion before...)

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco

I did this for Patch 5 (I think, if I remember correctly). But then Larian released the Patch Notes right after the stream (and not a few later). So I think/hope we'll get the full list very soon. (And I'm playing another game and listening the PFH on the side, so I won't be trying to maintain a list of new features and publish it right after PFH).

@Saito : did I miss Group Sneak ?? (Also, nice new Avatar.)

enthusiast
enthusiast
WOLFFFFF!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm at my gym trying to throw a peek at the stream from time to time, but between noise and people asking me stuff I'm really catching just some detail every few minutes.

Everything I've noticed so far...

- UI overhaul. Character panel is condensed to the point where you can move that window around now, instead of it taking up the whole screen. Weapon proficiency tooltips will tell you which weapon types belong in which grouping and the bonuses you get to each group, and so on.
- Hotbars have buttons that will change which abilities and such are displayed. There's your main hotbar, but there are buttons such as class/items/passives along with spell slots. Actually cleaner than Solasta's UI, which is quite a feat.
- Barbarian class. Berserker subclass and one other. (Sorry not very familiar with Barbarian to immediately remember what the other one is.)
- There was a tooltip briefly seen that said 'Prepare', which sounds like ready actions might be in.
- Cutscene overhauls, but that's rather meaningless to us until we see them for ourselves.
- Group sneak is in
- If a character is downed after combat ends, they no longer roll death saving throws, they just remain downed meaning you can take your time in getting them back up.
- Major grapple/throw nerf. It looked like there was a probability when attempting to pick up a goblin, instead of it being 100% chance as long as your strength is high enough. Throw distance is now based on your strength and the target's weight.
- Major field of vision nerf. Camera overall appears to be improved but the actual field of vision has been condensed. As in, you can't see stuff past walls anymore.

They haven't said anything about reactions yet, but I notice a conspicuous lack of the old toggle reaction UI, so who knows... It's either not in yet or they're saving that announcement for later in the panel. (EDIT: They launched automatic attacks of opportunity so it looks like reactions aren't in right now.)

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 15/02/22 07:06 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
And the Wolfheart just showed up. That guy went from random RPG person on YouTube to getting a pre-release access to Solasta and Dark Alliance ... and now he is being dubbed* by Larian. Impressive.

(* Is that how you talk about knights being made knights ?)
Yeah, Fextra-who?

Last edited by Merlex; 16/02/22 01:14 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Swen mentioned re-recording the narrator. Let it never be said that Larian isn’t listening to the forum criticisms.

veteran
veteran
I'm glad some shortcut for "group stealth" is in, but holy shit, Larian would make literally ANY compromise rather than making the control scheme actually good...

Originally Posted by Warlocke
Swen mentioned re-recording the narrator. Let it never be said that Larian isn’t listening to the forum criticisms.
Well, you don't know the context for that.
Most likely they just re-recorded lines about stuff that changed and it has nothing to do with liking her voice/tone or not.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/02/22 07:16 PM.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I was about to mention context as well, but in a different way.

Let's say that people on this forums have given 100 (non-overlapping) feedback items. Of which perhaps 90 are actually very valid points, very good suggestions, and very needed changes.

Now if Larian implements 10 of them, and even if these changes come to be only because they saw people's requests (i.e. they are not things that the Larian devs were themselves planning on doing anyway), that's still leaving 80 good requests not acted upon.

I'm not saying Larian should implement everything we mention. Not even everything from the 90% of good suggestions. But it would be nice to at least hear Larian comment on the feedback not acted upon.

For instance, I don't think they have publicly said much about the character controls, notably the party controls. I would love to know if they think it's actually a great system, and something that will not be changed.

So, I'm always bit dubious when Larian makes one (possibly-popular) change and some people then declare "Larian is listening".

enthusiast
enthusiast
Love that echo on the Rage scream in the Underdark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard