Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Shooting in FiraXCOM feels good, in part because sounds effects are top notch.
And if I may crank it up to 11, in JA2 v1.13 practically all calibres have their own shooting sounds. Compared to vanilla, this is just a whole new world.
Of course, I'm not asking to add realistic sounds for every kind of bow and crossbow in the game, I just want to say that this, seemingly minor, detail is actually quite important.
Originally Posted by Wormerine
1) trajectory would made some kind of sense
You are a true master of understatement, mate.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
WoW Im popular, never saw that coming. It must be the music. If you guys wanna keep nitpicking go ahead. No wonder Larian is like 10+ behind their competitors. Companies who started at around same time, are much progressed.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 16/02/22 12:21 AM.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You are STILL attempting to derail the thread.
If you have nothing to say about bows, crossbows or more in general projectiles in the game, feel free to move to the next discussion.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by Tuco
You are STILL attempting to derail the thread.
If you have nothing to say about bows, crossbows or more in general projectiles in the game, feel free to move to the next discussion.

I said at my first post "I would put more focus on Characters, so player doesnt think about this kind of stuff. "

You guys started to bite me, so you can blame yourselves.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 16/02/22 08:05 AM.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You’ve been explained in more ways than one that your comment had NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

No one cares what “you’d rather put more focus on”.
Start your own thread to talk about it because it’s not relevant here in the slightest.

If someone is discussing what color to paint a wall, stopping by to tell them “I’d rather go camping than spend time painting” is fucking useless and not a helpful contribution.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Get a room, guys. Maybe I should create a nice new subforum just for you two...

J'aime le fromage.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Get repeatedly trolled, point the trolling, get scolded and asked to get a room.
Ok.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Originally Posted by vometia

I think there should be Immersion, Roleplaying, Gameplay, forums. I dont honestly know what these people talk. Or is this pure technical stuff. I think its bit odd, this is Early Access game after all, but the way you communicate or take feedback is bad. This thread was derailed way before me.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 17/02/22 12:02 AM.
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX
[quote=vometia]there should be Immersion, Roleplaying, Gameplay, forums

+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX

I think there should be Immersion, Roleplaying, Gameplay, forums. I dont honestly know what these people talk. Or is this pure technical stuff. I think its bit odd, this is Early Access game after all, but the way you communicate or take feedback is bad. This thread was derailed way before me.

You don't know waht these people talk? I hope you're not serious. This is the feedback section for the game. And this thread is specifically about the way missle weapons were implemented in the game. So regarding this thread it is mostly technical since the way projetiles fly is based on physics.

Even though this is a fantasy setting i agree that we need more realism at points. I do not want my arrows look like they are short of flying a looping, nor want i see my character getting shoved over half the battlefield. The base physic formulas are VERY easy to obtain and i do not understand why they are not used.

Unless it is planned to keep the slapstick ingame. In that case Larian is doing a good job.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Sorry, but for a forum administrator this was uncalled for. I am always happy when moderators or even administrators are there to keep the peace. If there is someone permanently off-topic and that gets even mentioned by others, then there is need to intervene. And not by making snide comments. but by looking for the

offending poster and friendly telling him to stop. That is because if another normal forum member starts to do that exactly THIS happens.

Sorry for telling you how to do your work and sorry for another off-topic post, but this had to be said.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil

Sorry, but for a forum administrator this was uncalled for. I am always happy when moderators or even administrators are there to keep the peace. If there is someone permanently off-topic and that gets even mentioned by others, then there is need to intervene. And not by making snide comments. but by looking for the

offending poster and friendly telling him to stop. That is because if another normal forum member starts to do that exactly THIS happens.

Sorry for telling you how to do your work and sorry for another off-topic post, but this had to be said.

Absolutely agree. Vometia should have been removed as an admin a long time ago.

LoL admin must be high or something

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
addict
addict
Tuco- you are spot on man !
I love this game and I love ranged weapons & this is something I’ve struggled with but figured it’s just something I gotta live with - I hate it but I hear you loud & clear on this one…
I haven’t played patch 7 yet but does it do the same with thrown weapons ?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
You don't know waht these people talk? I hope you're not serious. This is the feedback section for the game. And this thread is specifically about the way missle weapons were implemented in the game. So regarding this thread it is mostly technical since the way projetiles fly is based on physics.

Feedback is welcome, but sometimes debates can get heated or wander off-topic; this was just a friendly reminder intended in good humour.

Originally Posted by JandK
Absolutely agree. Vometia should have been removed as an admin a long time ago.

...and who gave you a second chance after your previous account was banned. Don't waste it.

Anyway, if we could perhaps get back to the topic, not least as I'm not really interesting enough to merit another diversion.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
I generally agree with the sentiment that the line shown when choosing a target is silly and doesn't properly reflect the trajectory that the projectile should have. However, I do not feel like this is an issue, because I do not expect the "targetting line" to show me a fully accurate trajectory of the arrow. It's just a targetting line.

It also usually works in your favor: when the arrow arcs this way when you shoot, you can still shoot an enemy who is behind some small obstacles.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Throrface
I generally agree with the sentiment that the line shown when choosing a target is silly and doesn't properly reflect the trajectory that the projectile should have. However, I do not feel like this is an issue, because I do not expect the "targetting line" to show me a fully accurate trajectory of the arrow. It's just a targetting line.

It also usually works in your favor: when the arrow arcs this way when you shoot, you can still shoot an enemy who is behind some small obstacles.
That's the thing. It's not just a targeting line. It's the actual trajectory. If you're standing on a cliff you can target enemies standing under the ledge that you don't have a line of sight to. And you get +2 to hit against targets you can't even see.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by 1varangian
That's the thing. It's not just a targeting line. It's the actual trajectory. If you're standing on a cliff you can target enemies standing under the ledge that you don't have a line of sight to. And you get +2 to hit against targets you can't even see.
Since the characters in the game don't have the full range of motion a normal human can have, I fully welcome that in some cases the trajectory is a little more generous and in our favour. A normal human could lean to look over a ledge, or momentarily elevate themselves to shoot over an obstacle - characters in BG can't perform these minor acrobatic movements but they can still make the shots thanks to the arc.

I still don't think that the targetting line accurately represents the trajectory of the subsequent shot, because you can miss the shot. Clearly the arrow can take on a different path after the attack is rolled.

Last edited by Throrface; 17/02/22 02:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Since the characters in the game don't have the full range of motion a normal human can have, I fully welcome that in some cases the trajectory is a little more generous and in our favour. A normal human could lean to look over a ledge, or momentarily elevate themselves to shoot over an obstacle - characters in BG can't perform these minor acrobatic movements but they can still make the shots thanks to the arc.
This is already effectively accounted for by being able to target any part of the enemy for attack rolls: if you can see 1 square inch of their body, you can attack them with no cover penalty to AC. So we're double-dipping by also getting the loose trajectory arcs.

Additionally, I presume there's some cases where the exaggeratedly slow and lofty trajectory goes too high and hits a ceiling or other overhead obstacle, making what should be a straightforward shot impossible...? Idk if the game flattens the trajectory to account for this...

I still don't think that the targetting line accurately represents the trajectory of the subsequent shot, because you can miss the shot. Clearly the arrow can take on a different path after the attack is rolled.
You think this partly because Larian has coded every failed attack roll as a "miss!" When in reality, sometimes you are hitting the target but their armor blocks it or the enemy dodges out of the way. In either case, the missile follows the trajectory shown.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
One possible remedy:

Use a straight firing line if target <= max_short_firing_distance

If target > max_short_firing_distance then
use arc firing line

Has anyone seen the code for determining a firing solution from bows and crossbows? If I get some time maybe I can try finding it...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard