Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Athkatla FC #808487 19/02/22 11:32 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Athkatla FC
That would be a stupid thing to do
We should be able to do bad decisions ...
Let us the hell screw our game the way we want!

Btw: Do we get a barbarian companion?
No ... or at least not yet ...
Just as with Ranger, Druid and Sorcerer. :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Kaldric #808515 19/02/22 01:23 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
One positive note I got from this particular patch so far is that the whole "creatures as improvised weapons" thing may be a step towards properly implemeting grappling as a mechanic. Being able to just pick up and throw people without actually getting a proper hold of them first is kinda ridiculously unbalanced, but if shoving were to be reduced to a mild poke mostly useful for moving an enemy away a little (to free up movement for a different character, for instance) or knocking 'em down as per the rules, the grapple + throw combo could then become your way to really chuck people around. There's risk involved as the grab could fail (always succeeding when used on allies, though?), but that would also make the whole throw-a-thon much less of a cheesy tactic, making it a tactical tool to use when it's *actually* relevant. Throwing someone could work as a bonus action following the grapple on the same turn, kinda like how the Produce Flame toss is implemented.

Another thing is that tossing objects kinda became the new teleport spell from the D:OS games. "Fill a box with grenades and throw it in the fire" tactic is alive and well again, except for the weight limitations. Not that I mind, but I can see how hardcore 5e purists would see that as yet another "it's just like D:OS!1!" argument.

Athkatla FC #808520 19/02/22 01:34 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Can i kill Astarion when we meet now (in dialogue) or avoid having to go through the ridiculous wrestling?

That would be a stupid thing to do, if you character is not a thief. I understand it makes sense from a roleplay perspective, but in the first dungeon I would regret this decission.

Btw: Do we get a barbarian companion? In the last Baldurs Gate games there was, at least, one companion for each class.

Speaking as someone, who doesn't like Astarion and always finds a reason to kill him: you really don't need him. In EA Shadowheart can fill the role to open locks and disarm traps easily.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Kaldric #808526 19/02/22 02:05 PM
A
addict
addict
A
I have to admit, even though I still find melee classes boring, I have been enjoying the barbarian because of the dialogues. laugh From what I've tried, there are even small differences between the intimidation options: berserkers is more "raaagh" and gets advantage on these checks.

That would be a stupid thing to do, if you character is not a thief. I understand it makes sense from a roleplay perspective, but in the first dungeon I would regret this decission.
Funny enough my best lockpicker was my drow druid, she had very high dexterity and that combined with enhance ability and the guidance locket meant she rarely failed the checks. Imo these two spells can make anyone successful at any job.

mr_planescapist #808666 19/02/22 08:56 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Havent bothered re-downloading...pretty much hafl-way out the door for the game; peaking in from time to time .... but,

Do we still have UI toilet chain character selection? That new UI seems to be even worst.
Was Day night cycles / Time implemented?
How about world reactivity/atmosphere? Are stuff still static and waiting for you? Interesting random encounters?
Just one extra class?
New races?
New companions?
Still cringy cinematic dialogues for EVERYTHING?
Still cartoony PG13 look?
More D&D systems/stats implemented and less weird <Disney Larian> comedy/goofy stuff?

Toilet chain is still there, but I have not needed to use it ( that sounds not quite as I meant it to smile ). There are now group/ungroup buttons which are really all I need for my purposes. There is also a group sneak toggle which is equally helpful.

I also find the new main UI control bar works well. It's very helpful to be able to view what an actor can do by categories; even with only 4 levels, the old activity bar became cluttered. I particulrly like the small icons above the bar that allow you to filter the type of activity ( i.e. action, bonus action, class resource action ( e.g. rage ), spells available at particular slot ), and the fact that those icons dim/desaturate when that type of activity is no longer available this turn.

I'm less sure about the actor and party panels. They are well designed, and allow some things to be more efficient, but sometimes feel a little cramped, as well as having some performance problems ( not very snappy ) at the moment.

Day/Night/Time: No, I can't see this changing because of the non-blocking coop MP design. Not to mention that the whole lighting system would need a re-design.

World Reactivity: No, everything is simple state machines and scripting, just like almost every other game.

New Class: Yes, just one for players.

New Companions: No, but Karlach has a new model/lines/runs off after you help ( apparent instant recovery from her wounds smile )

Cinematic Dialogs: Yes, most interactions are cinematic ( which is rather the USP of BG3 ), although some are still shown with the world camera.

Cartoony PG13 look: Technically, the graphics continue to improve, particularly the lighting; but for the models, Larian seem to follow 5e official visual representations, so if you don't like them, blame WotC.

5e Mechanics vs Goofy Larian: Remains a blend of both, and probably will continue that way during EA, as there are many supporters of both approaches.

So far I view every patch as an improvement ( although sometimes marginal ), including this one. My main concerns have little to do with the mechanics, more to do with the often disjointed nature of the story progress, where companions will talk about something that has not been experienced in the current playthrough, or will expouse their personal stories in repetative and sometimes contradictory ways.

fylimar #808670 19/02/22 09:02 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by fylimar
Speaking as someone, who doesn't like Astarion and always finds a reason to kill him: you really don't need him. In EA Shadowheart can fill the role to open locks and disarm traps easily.

Or your own character depending on the background you take. Which is another point of contention in that I'd like more background variety to mix and match character roles more.

I don't like him either except as a companion for one character of mine, because that character became a vampire in IRL D&D campaign and their hits at him making your character one fits for that 'roleplay' experience for me. Otherwise I'd rather take pretty much any other companion than him.

Yeah this patch is just meh.
Fluff I didn't care about while classes and races still missing from the game. And some core mechanics still not working as they should.

Last edited by Clivehusker; 19/02/22 09:10 PM.
ash elemental #808693 19/02/22 10:07 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ash elemental
I have to admit, even though I still find melee classes boring, I have been enjoying the barbarian because of the dialogues. laugh From what I've tried, there are even small differences between the intimidation options: berserkers is more "raaagh" and gets advantage on these checks.

Unfortunately, 5e is pretty boring by the standards of earlier D&D versions, and 5e martial classes are particularly dull mechanically. But, like you, I have enjoyed the dialog and skill interactions of my pint-sized bundle of halfling/bear fury smile , maybe even enough to choose the class for my first release playthrough.

Kaldric #808722 20/02/22 01:38 AM
addict
addict
Just at the Druid grove so early days but I’m enjoying the changes thus far. New lighting is great it’s more atmospheric and the ui I don’t have an issue with once you get the hang of it.
My dwarven fighter is enjoying throwing javelins & handaxes and daggers just because he can 😋

Kaldric #809820 24/02/22 05:49 PM
old hand
old hand
I just started up my first proper patch 7 gamethrough today and I can't believe nobody mentioned the greatest change of all

Spacebar no longer chooses responses in dialogues!

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Dexai #809821 24/02/22 06:08 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dexai
I just started up my first proper patch 7 gamethrough today and I can't believe nobody mentioned the greatest change of all

Spacebar no longer chooses responses in dialogues!

Oh heck you're right!! That is awesome. =)

Dexai #809829 24/02/22 07:11 PM
veteran
veteran
nobody mentioned
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=808016#Post808016

I feel oversighted. frown frown frown laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
RagnarokCzD #809842 24/02/22 08:34 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
nobody mentioned
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=808016#Post808016

I feel oversighted. frown frown frown laugh
I had some problems resisting to tell him that he probably made you sad.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard