Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
addict
addict
L
We keep seeing the same few faces over and over when people post their characters etc. Larian must have metrics on what people prefer now. Hopefully that will steer them in the right direction.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
We keep seeing the same few faces over and over when people post their characters etc. Larian must have metrics on what people prefer now. Hopefully that will steer them in the right direction.
Or the people who choose the prettirst faces are also those who post pictures everywhere to show off, and that's how you get a sampling bias. wink I recall Larian complained that according to their collected data the most chosen character preset was the human guy Tav, yet you almost never see that face posted.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Or the people who choose the prettirst faces are also those who post pictures everywhere to show off, and that's how you get a sampling bias. wink I recall Larian complained that according to their collected data the most chosen character preset was the human guy Tav, yet you almost never see that face posted.

IME, most of the characters possess one or more of the following traits: brown hair, Human, male and Fighter class.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
IME, most of the characters possess one or more of the following traits: brown hair, Human, male and Fighter class.
That's because paladins are not available yet... laugh

I just don't think social media is a good reflection of what most players choose, it's rather a reflection of what is popular on social media. E.g. if you look at that Astarion seems a beloved character, whereas I would not be surprised if he was actually the most disliked & killed companion.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
That's because paladins are not available yet... laugh

I just don't think social media is a good reflection of what most players choose, it's rather a reflection of what is popular on social media. E.g. if you look at that Astarion seems a beloved character, whereas I would not be surprised if he was actually the most disliked & killed companion.

People like things that are attractive, including faces. You could almost say that people are *attracted* to those types of things.

It's not social media; it's human nature. For the most part, people are going to choose the faces that are attractive. Occasionally, there'll be some other choices, sure, but those will typically be made because of flavor or humor.

Personally, I find a lack of attractive human faces all around, but especially in the male category.

L
addict
addict
L
I meant Larian will have metrics from people’s choices in the game, not from scouring social media. Although, who knows…

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by JandK
People like things that are attractive, including faces. You could almost say that people are *attracted* to those types of things.

It's not social media; it's human nature. For the most part, people are going to choose the faces that are attractive. Occasionally, there'll be some other choices, sure, but those will typically be made because of flavor or humor.

Personally, I find a lack of attractive human faces all around, but especially in the male category.
Social media is a very good study on human nature, considering all the profiling of users. But if you want to know what your players prefer, gather the data directly from the game (which is what Larian is doing) instad of looking at twitter posts.

I meant Larian will have metrics from people’s choices in the game, not from scouring social media. Although, who knows…
For me the issue with character creation is that there are only two male and female voices to choose from, and this is where their data gathering will fail, because if you want to make e.g. an gruff-sounding dwarf, you just can't.

Last edited by ash elemental; 20/02/22 08:13 AM.
old hand
old hand
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

veteran
veteran
Social media is a very good study on human nature, considering all the profiling of users. But if you want to know what your players prefer, gather the data directly from the game (which is what Larian is doing) instad of looking at twitter posts.

I'm not arguing against Larian looking at their own data. I'm just saying what the data is almost certainly going to show. That people by-and-large, prefer attractive faces.

apprentice
apprentice
But if you want to know what your players prefer, gather the data directly from the game (which is what Larian is doing) instad of looking at twitter posts.
Except with the LIMIT in game offerings that is selection bias.
We have no typical fantasy type facial models to select from to indicate our choices would be those instead.

We have at most depending on the race and m/f, 7 faces to choose from once you pick those decide those 2 items. While we do have a fairly wide selection of hair.

And both in faces and hair styles there is a clear French bias in those.

Last edited by Clivehusker; 21/02/22 02:57 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Clivehusker
Except with the LIMIT in game offerings that is selection bias.
We have no typical fantasy type facial models to select from to indicate our choices would be those instead.

We have at most depending on the race and m/f, 7 faces to choose from once you pick those decide those 2 items. While we do have a fairly wide selection of hair.

And both in faces and hair styles there is a clear French bias in those.
On that I agree, I'd like to see more older faces for example. Although for me the lack of voices and body types to choose from is a bigger issue. This is quite noticeable on barbarians because their armor doesn't cover the upper body much.

old hand
old hand
"I'm not just a pretty face."
"The pretty face helps, though."

A
A
I'm a female and I find most if not all character models (both male and female) unattractive. So much so that I'm redused to using mods. I mean it's great that they used actual people as models and all, but I'm surrounded by Actual people everyday and thus in the fantasy game I would very much like to see beautiful faces. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and so it's hard to please everyone that's why you need sliders in the character creation.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by andromeda087
I mean it's great that they used actual people as models and all

Is it, though? This new industry standard can be surprisingly limiting in more ways than one; over on the thread discussing how BG3's elves aren't sufficiently elfin, it was suggested that Larian's decision to rely on facial capture technology may explain why the elves look like humans with pointy ears. The end result is restricted attractiveness and constrained racial physiognomy. Hm...

old hand
old hand
"Are you a man or a mouse?"
"Neither."

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard