Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know I'm not the first and probably won't be the last to suggest this, but I think one thing that would really help expand the dynamic of the game's immersion would be to include some races from outside the PHB (Gith being the exception) such as goblins (or hobgoblins), orcs, lizardfolk, tabaxi, kalashtar, and so on. As someone who delights in using as many different races for as many different classes as possible, I know I would get a royal kick out of playing my goblin barbarian as she goes throwing her fellow goblins around like enormous flails, or my kalashtar cleric of Kelemvor who smites undead without a second thought one minute then starts mumbling to her quori spirit in front of her party the next.

Of course I understand for narrative purposes that there are limits, like I know I can't hope to play my warforged paladin who is basically Optimus Prime in a fantasy setting because that li'l tadpole ain't gonna find much flesh to gnaw on in there (unless you somehow find a way to create warforged mindflayers. Now that's a haunting thought).

Still, while I know there are plenty more races and classes to come before the game is fully complete, I would love to see this kind of ingenuity some time in the future, pre or post-completion. It's a great deal to ask for, I know, but one I hope you'll either consider or have considered already!

Love you guys! Keep up the terrific job!

veteran
veteran
Some additional races are EXPECTED to come, if not in EA update at least at the time of the final release. Half-orcs and Dragonborns were basically already confirmed at some point.
Datamined data showed traces even of WAY more exotic options...

That said, Larian is being more than a bit coy about the topic to a degree that goes past being just vague, so my current worry is that there's probably a bunch of stuff that was originally going to be implemented but then development started to drag more and more and cut had to be made.

Even putting races aside, there are a bunch of features that have been basically claimed to be "upcoming in future updates" at the start of EA and we still have to see them (i.e. a proper implementation of Detect Thought, support for party-wide conversation to let your companions do checks for you etc...).

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
a proper implementation of Detect Thought, support for party-wide conversation
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

enthusiast
enthusiast
DID SOMEBODY SAY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWBLINS!?

veteran
veteran
Some additional races are EXPECTED to come, if not in EA update at least at the time of the final release. Half-orcs and Dragonborns were basically already confirmed at some point.
Datamined data showed traces even of WAY more exotic options...

That said, Larian is being more than a bit coy about the topic to a degree that goes past being just vague, so my current worry is that there's probably a bunch of stuff that was originally going to be implemented but then development started to drag more and more and cut had to be made.

Even putting races aside, there are a bunch of features that have been basically claimed to be "upcoming in future updates" at the start of EA and we still have to see them (i.e. a proper implementation of Detect Thought, support for party-wide conversation to let your companions do checks for you etc...).

If I remember correctly, gnomes are confirmed too. I think, it was in one of Chublots datamining videos.

A proper implementation of Detect Thoughts would be neat too.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
L
addict
addict
L
I would be VERY surprised if gnomes aren’t playable soon since there are so many gnome/deep gnome NPCs. I’m also concerned that Dragonborn might get cut due to the ballooning development time. We have seen bugbear and hobgoblin NPCs etc but not a single Dragonborn. Maybe they’ll turn up in a DLC.

I too hope for some of the offshoot sub races as well, like Eladrin and Shadar Kai for example. More for the stat options really (think a Shadar Kai Shadow Monk would be a blast to play).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Or the Fey'ri, Wisplings, and whatever the Dwarf and Orc Fiend blooded ones are called.

veteran
veteran
Frankly regardless of what will be in the final game I’m not really expecting races to be added to EA anymore at this point.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Frankly regardless of what will be in the final game I’m not really expecting races to be added to EA anymore at this point.

I think that would be a mistake. Bringing in some new races and new classes together in a super patch would create enormous hype for the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That and we ain't even getting this game this year I don't think, so that's alot of free Beta time they'd be wasting for said races.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
If I remember correctly, gnomes are confirmed too. I think, it was in one of Chublots datamining videos.
I really wonder why we didnt get them ...
I mean, concidering Gibblebog ... it seems quite obvious that Gnome models was part of the game since Day 1. frown

Seems like somebody in Larian dont like them. frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Larian too busy working on or fixing these crappy Youtube Meme educing cinematics for EVERY dialogues in the game, however insignificant. Its a HUGE undertaking and we will get TONS of cut content because of it. Why I dislike 100% cinematic dialogues in a multi party RPG game (this isnt the Witcher...).

I would of kept cinematic dialogues just for major scenes, freeing up time and budget for MORE CONTENT, and drastically upping the quality of these fewer cinematics.
Highly doubt we will get any new races unless the game goes into post 2024, or in DLCs...I mean at best...one more race? a couple more classes and 2 more NPCs? Great.

Pathfinder WoTr is on the other side of the scale. No tale tale cinematic dialogues but we get a BOAT LOAD of classes/races/NPCs content. And its not that bad since lots of dialogues are pretty well voice acted.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 20/02/22 08:36 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK

I think that would be a mistake. Bringing in some new races and new classes together in a super patch would create enormous hype for the game.
They don't really care about hyping the patches. They want the hype for the final release.

And if we are talking about possible "mistakes" frankly the lack of a level 5 bump is far more worrying than the lack of additional races, since its potential impact on balance (and consequently on the overall tuning of the final product) will be FAR heavier than what playing a different race could ever be.

Last edited by Tuco; 20/02/22 04:49 PM.

veteran
veteran
They don't really care about hyping the patches. They want the hype for the final release.

Source?

veteran
veteran

Source?
A sensible guess. Given that the final release is where and when the major influx of new buyers will come from, at this point. And that they keep saying on their very store page to NOT buy the game now if you want a complete experience.
Do you have evidence of the contrary?
EDIT- Also, Swen Vincke EXPLICTLY said few months ago that they are saving a lot of stuff for the release launch and that they don't want to "spoil" it during EA. So there's that, too.

Also, did we get even just one single race added to EA so far?

Last edited by Tuco; 20/02/22 05:31 PM.

H
stranger
stranger
H
I think the playable races and subclasses are going to be implemented in a paid DLC down the road at some point. That seems to be the modern gaming formula

veteran
veteran
A sensible guess.

So no source, just an assertion.

To quote you exactly:

This is not a sensible guess.

It might be a reasonable guess if "hype" were a zero-sum game. But it's not.

Clearly, Larian wants to build hype with each patch, and that's part of why they market those releases with their panels from hell.

Obviously, they want each release to bring hype. And while it's true that they want the final release to be enormous, that in no way suggests that "They don't really care about hyping the patches."

Why does this even have to be said? Seriously.

veteran
veteran
EDIT- Also, Swen Vincke EXPLICTLY said few months ago that they are saving a lot of stuff for the release launch and that they don't want to "spoil" it during EA. So there's that, too.
You can take a hike, mate.

veteran
veteran
You can take a hike, mate.

I choose not to take a hike, as you rudely put it.

Obviously, there'll be new stuff at the full release. No one argued otherwise.

But that doesn't mean all the races will be held back, and that certainly doesn't translate to the questionable idea that Larian doesn't care about patch release hype. I mean, my goodness, what a strange conclusion for a thinking person to come to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard