Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 84 of 97 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 96 97
Joined: Feb 2021
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2021
OH!!! Grymforge does NOT like Party of 6. I had Party of 6. Went to the boat. Got to Grymforge. Lae'zel and Wyll were suddenly ghosts. They had no HP, could not move, were grouped together and still at the docks in Decrepit Village. They did not go with the rest of the party to Grymforge. I tried several times. Same result. I tried Fast Travel back to the beach. They were there but not there. I tried to select them, and it let me, but they did not appear on the screen at all. I tried to fast travel as them, and they'd go to the location I had them fast travel to, even to camp, but they were invisible and still no HP and they couldn't move or anything. I tried linking them to the rest of the party while in the same exact spot as them. They stayed in that spot no matter where I went.

The only fix: Before you go onto the boat, pick two characters and ungroup them. Leave them on the beach and only take a party of 4 to Grymforge. Don't ask them to leave the party. Just ungroup them and leave them at Decrepit Village BEFORE you access the boat. Then, when you get to Grymforge with your party of 4, make sure you access the Waypoint (I think it's automatic anyway). Then fast travel back to the beach, regroup them, and fast travel back to Grymforge as one whole party. As long as you ungrouped 2 characters before going to Grymforge, you can regroup them after you go through the cutscenes and you should be fine from there.

WHAT A PAIN!!!

Joined: Feb 2021
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2021
Ugh! Grymforge REALLY doesn't like party of 6 mod. Game keeps crashing when I save or when trying to load saves. I am now saving like 3 times when I do save and praying they don't crash the game each time. Then when I load a save, I pray 1 of the 3 will actually load.

But, regardless, battles are still fine. I also like that my characters are still chatting and such. So still a better experience IF they made it legit.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Thats odd ...
I had no problem with grymforge except the ship one ... but i was warned about that one in coment section on Nexus.


In the words of the senior NCO instructor at cadet battalion:
“If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And if you got caught you didn’t try hard enough!”
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Ukraine
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Ukraine
Larian wants 4 characters per party.

Players want 6.

5 is a normal compromise?


Join the Minthara Baenre fan club

"If a country, choosing between war and shame, chooses shame, it gets both war and shame." - Winston Churchill .
#CloseTheSky
Joined: Feb 2021
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2021
Please make party of 6 legit. My computer still keeps crashing because of the mod.

Joined: Feb 2021
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2021
Almost died... All six party members. Defeated Nere after siding with Brithvar. Then, failed to persuade and fought Brithvar and clan. Most characters close to death with Gale dead.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Welp, tried again the unofficial fix to expand the party to six with the new patch (7), I found the NEW placement for the string to edit, but now the game crashes 100% of the times for me when the tweak is applied.
Guess there's no way around playing with 4 characters now.

Joined: Feb 2021
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2021
Hmm, I made a full custom party through LAN.
On the Nautiloid my party consisted of my 4 characters, Lae'zel and Us. Which is effectively 6 members. When it came time to recruit Shadowheart she said I'm full up.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by S2PHANE
Hmm, I made a full custom party through LAN.
On the Nautiloid my party consisted of my 4 characters, Lae'zel and Us. Which is effectively 6 members. When it came time to recruit Shadowheart she said I'm full up.
Yup ... that is how it has behaved in the past aswell ...
Would be great tho, if you could kill Us to make room for her. laugh


In the words of the senior NCO instructor at cadet battalion:
“If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And if you got caught you didn’t try hard enough!”
Joined: Jul 2014
V
stranger
Offline
stranger
V
Joined: Jul 2014
I am fine with 4. My favourite rpg of all time DAO (heavily modded) is 4. So is Mass Effect, I guess I just got used to it. As much as I play Neverwinter 1&2 and BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy Mod) once per year or so, when I started playing BG3, it didn't feel strange that we were limited at all. I am not familiar with the D&D rule set after 3.5, my main concern is with the number of memorized spells, it feels a little low, but then again, we are only level 4, which is a bit annoying since there is enough XP in this early access to get into level 6 or even 7. I am not sure who they are going to scale everything. Still I am gratified that modding is a thing for this game. We might even be able to tailor party size to whatever we want.

Joined: Mar 2013
A
addict
Offline
addict
A
Joined: Mar 2013
Edit
Not sure why i'm not allowed to post anything here. Keeps getting timed out whenever i try to comment here. Anyone knows why? Maybe max. page reached? Need thread v2?

Last edited by Archaven; 22/02/22 05:34 AM.
Joined: Jan 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jan 2021
Originally Posted by Tuco
Welp, tried again the unofficial fix to expand the party to six with the new patch (7), I found the NEW placement for the string to edit, but now the game crashes 100% of the times for me when the tweak is applied.
Guess there's no way around playing with 4 characters now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Can confirm party size mod still work in p7 as long as you create less than 4 char in multiplayer...
PRAIZE THE MOD.


STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
The tweak I used NEVER involved multiplayer, though? It just involved tweaking a save file variable to allow a larger party.
It's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181?tab=description
Also, "changing method" doesn't really fit my needs, since the idea was playing with all the currently available companions in party like I did in the past, not with mute custom droids.

Last edited by Tuco; 22/02/22 10:17 AM.
Joined: May 2019
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: May 2019
Originally Posted by Tuco
The tweak I used NEVER involved multiplayer, though? It just involved tweaking a save file variable to allow a larger party.
It's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181?tab=description
Also, "changing method" doesn't really fit my needs, since the idea was playing with all the currently available companions in party like I did in the past, not with mute custom droids.
Very glad we can mod a larger party without using MP/player-created characters. If having a bigger party is only possible by using empty-suit created characters, that would be counterproductive and pointless.

Joined: Oct 2020
C
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
C
Joined: Oct 2020
Arguments for a 4 man party:

1. The game's difficulty, environmental (such as hallways) is balanced around it, changing that now is just plain dumb tbh. It would delay the development by a long time.

2. Even having 4 characters gets crowded in many places, when you need to jumo over your characters in narrow areas to get to the enemy. 6 characters would eb nightmare.

3. Cycling through characters in combat takes even longer, beng detrimental to game's combat speed whihc is already on the slow side. Especially when you have one character go alone ins neak mode, it's really annoying already to press end turn to skip the turn on the remaining three every turn, Doing it five times would be plain hell.

4. As stated before, the need to specific roles are much less needed in D&D so you can play without a healer etc (I do).

5. Replayability increases by a lot because even after you finish the game there will be a couple more new fresh companions to play with ij your next setup, with their unique storylines to explore.

6. It's more challening, which means more fun.

I used to miss 6 characters as well, but now because the game's so fun and enjouable even after 6+ playthroughs, I prefer 4 man. I will replay this game many times, no need to have all companions with your the first time, and it adds more variety.

I am sure a mod with add 6 man party for you to enjoy anyway.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Cantila
Arguments for a 4 man party:.
Sorry, rejected.
NEEEXT!

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Tuco
The tweak I used NEVER involved multiplayer, though? It just involved tweaking a save file variable to allow a larger party.
It's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181?tab=description
Also, "changing method" doesn't really fit my needs, since the idea was playing with all the currently available companions in party like I did in the past, not with mute custom droids.
Very glad we can mod a larger party without using MP/player-created characters. If having a bigger party is only possible by using empty-suit created characters, that would be counterproductive and pointless.
For the record I managed to make this work with Patch 7.
Turns out the culprit of my constant crashes was the tool I used to edit the savegames, that needed to be updated at the latest version.

Too bad I realized this just yesterday, after already going through my entire playthrough of Patch 7 with a LAME 4-men party.
"More fun" my hairy ass...

Joined: Feb 2021
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2021
Originally Posted by Cantila
Arguments for a 4 man party:

1. The game's difficulty, environmental (such as hallways) is balanced around it, changing that now is just plain dumb tbh. It would delay the development by a long time.

2. Even having 4 characters gets crowded in many places, when you need to jumo over your characters in narrow areas to get to the enemy. 6 characters would eb nightmare.

3. Cycling through characters in combat takes even longer, beng detrimental to game's combat speed whihc is already on the slow side. Especially when you have one character go alone ins neak mode, it's really annoying already to press end turn to skip the turn on the remaining three every turn, Doing it five times would be plain hell.

4. As stated before, the need to specific roles are much less needed in D&D so you can play without a healer etc (I do).

5. Replayability increases by a lot because even after you finish the game there will be a couple more new fresh companions to play with ij your next setup, with their unique storylines to explore.

6. It's more challening, which means more fun.

I used to miss 6 characters as well, but now because the game's so fun and enjouable even after 6+ playthroughs, I prefer 4 man. I will replay this game many times, no need to have all companions with your the first time, and it adds more variety.

I am sure a mod with add 6 man party for you to enjoy anyway.

We've discussed many of these before. I'll only touch on a few. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm not suggesting that there is a right or wrong answer here. However, I have many reasons for liking party of 6, so I will defend it and try to point some things out about your reasoning.

1. Difficulty is based on Larian's homebrew gimmicks and rules and monsters. Proper 5e rules, monsters, etc. would change the entire difficulty in a hot minute. Encounters that are currently challenging, as you say, would become deadly if they actually used the right rules and stats. So, a party of 6 would be required to NOT have an OP encounter in this game if they used the proper 5e stats and rules. Also, I've played party of 6 mod, and it works just fine as far as environment, hallways, etc. Would it delay the development? Not really that much. Change some numbers and such. If a simple mod can do it, they can do it. Change Party Max Size to 6 instead of 4, like the mod does. The hardest part would be to implement 5e rules and stats, but they need to do difficulty settings for the game anyway. So, provide us with a Core Rules difficulty, party of 6, and we're good.

2. Jumping is only an issue because Larian is still needing to work on the whole mechanic of it. They require you to jump because they don't let you pass through other character's spaces. An enemy should block you. A friend should not. They should allow your own party members to pass totally through each others' spaces. So, if someone is blocking you, it should only be an enemy. THEN Jumping like a superhero wouldn't be necessary just to maneuver around the map. You wouldn't NEED to feel crowded by 6 characters or 4 in tight spaces because they wouldn't get in your way as much. This CAN and HAS been done in games like Solasta.

3. I've touched on this before. 6 party members would not slow down combat as much as people think. In fact, many times it would speed it up. Imagine teaming up on a single ogre with a party of 6 as opposed to a party of 4. 6+ attacks in a single round as opposed to just 4-ish. One ogre could be potentially taken out per round if 6 members gang up on it, each taking 1-10 HP off of it. Meanwhile, it may take multiple rounds to try to take out the same ogre with only a party of 4 especially if it gets to go at some point and knocks out one of your 4 before they get to attack. Sure, the skipping thing is totally true. If stealthing or doing something similar, if you have to just skip the turns of everyone else, that can get a bit more annoying than only a party of 4, but how much slower are we really talking? Especially as they are speeding up combat more and more, I'm thinking the end result probably won't be THAT painful. But, of course, that's a matter of opinion.

4. TRUE D&D REQUIRES class distinctions. This is something else we're fighting for. You SHOULD require a healer. By the Nine! The fact that you don't is just sad. Larian has severely crushed the classes, making them so they really aren't unique or needed at all. Imagine playing the game and not being able to throw potions to heal. Imagine not being able to use every scroll no matter which character you are. Imagine a potion being an Action to use. Imagine that when a party member falls, you have to make a Medicine roll to revive them before they die. If you fail, they continue to roll to see if they die. Imagine that you don't have magic items that give you the ability to use spells that your class wouldn't normally be able to use. You see, part of the problem is that Larian ISN'T being true to D&D, and that's why you don't need all your bases covered in your party. You don't need a rogue because everyone can pick locks, disarm traps, use potions as Bonus Actions, etc. All these things are NOT D&D.

5. With the Party of 6 mod, the characters interact MORE with one another when all traveling together. Things you normally would not have happen actually happen. They talk to one another and have banter and everything SO much more than with party of 4. This is, of course, another matter of opinion, but I much more prefer the party feeling like one cohesive group actually talking to each other and bantering than having some sitting at camp doing nothing because a party of 4 is, for some reason, "full up." Never mind you have a tadpole in your head and you're all in the same boat. Wyll and Astarion'll just sit back and do nothing while 4 people try to take on a goblin camp of 30 or more, some of which are ogres.

6. Challenging, again, is based on difficulty settings and the fact that they don't use proper stats. Trust me when I say, this whole game could be so much more fun if party of 6 with proper stats. Very challenging still and lots of fun. I played it out via tabletop. It works and encounters are still rather deadly at times. The big difference is, there's more balance with proper stats and rules without people jumping like superheroes, shoving people 30 feet through the air, spiders spitting poison and teleporting like mages, imps with actual resistance, intellect devourers that use devour intellect and try to body thief you, mud mephits that don't multiply like a virus, wood woads that act like wood woads, drow with sun sensitivity who only fight at night because the sun hinders them, goblins who don't have thunder arrows that knock you into explosive barrels and blow you and your whole party to kingdom come...

Ahem. I digress. The point is, this game COULD be truly balanced and awesome with party of 6 fairly easily. They just need to implement a Core Rules difficulty and set the monster stats to what they should be using more appropriate monster tactics and abilities.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Savage North
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Savage North
Having the possibility to play 6 adventurers is far from being my top priority (the low quality of the gameplay makes me put a lot of things higher than this). But I don't like seeing bad arguments. And this argumentation is flawed on such a large, large scale.


1.a. At the moment, the game is anything but balanced. You can't break something that was never whole to being with. (Note/digression : I don't necessary view this as bad. I'd prefer that Larian waits until they have implemented all the classes and the game's max level, before they move to the balancing/fine-tuning of encounters.)

1.b. That it would take a long time is light years from being obvious. In fact, adjusting a game that would be balanced for 4 adventurers to a game balanced for 6 adventurers can start with a simple rule of thumb. With 6 turns per round instead of 4, the player has 50% more actions and thus firepower : increase enemy HP by 50%. Also, the player's team has 50% more HP. Increase enemy damage by 50%. Bam, first draft done, 30sec of dev time. Of course, that may need testing (perhaps adding goblins is better than buffing their stats, etc). But the first draft is fast.

Also, nothing prevent Larian from saying "hey, we balanced the game for 4 adventurers. If you have 6, nothing in the game will be adjusted and you'll have a much easier game. Feel to increase the difficulty to whatever seems appropriate for you". Indeed, the game will have difficulty options.

2. Really bad argument. A poor movement/party control system isn't a good reason to keep the number of characters low : it's a poor feature to ditch and rework while it's still Early Access. If anything, your argument would call for playing BG3 single player with a solo adventurer.

(Side note : in DnD 5E, allies can move through each other. Larian just didn't get this part right. But their engine allows character to move through each other, as can be seen when they climb ladders.)

3. Really depends at what you choose to measure. If the number of enemies is unchanged, having 6 adventurers instead of 4 means you spend a larger fraction a round's time actually playing.

4. Agreed, you don't need 6 classes. But if some players want more companions and banter in their games ?

5. Artificially increasing replayability by limiting the number of companions you can have is a very poor tactics.

And speaking for myself, given how horrendous the UI is across the board (and how shallow the ruleset feels), I'm not sure I'll want to be forced to make a 2nd/3rd/4th playthrough to experience more narrative content.

6. False. As you mentioned in your point 1., there is this notion called balance. Playing with 6 adventurers does not have to be less challenging. Also, for the record, different players find their fun in different ways.


p.s. : sigh ... I'm really much too slow at writing.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 24/02/22 10:40 PM. Reason: p.s.

Hoping we'll be able to create great assumptions-free Custom Characters and be given great roleplay options.
Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Tuco
The tweak I used NEVER involved multiplayer, though? It just involved tweaking a save file variable to allow a larger party.
It's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181?tab=description
Also, "changing method" doesn't really fit my needs, since the idea was playing with all the currently available companions in party like I did in the past, not with mute custom droids.
Very glad we can mod a larger party without using MP/player-created characters. If having a bigger party is only possible by using empty-suit created characters, that would be counterproductive and pointless.
For the record I managed to make this work with Patch 7.
Turns out the culprit of my constant crashes was the tool I used to edit the savegames, that needed to be updated at the latest version.

Too bad I realized this just yesterday, after already going through my entire playthrough of Patch 7 with a LAME 4-men party.
"More fun" my hairy ass...

If literally all that's required to increase the party size to 6 (or 8!) is the adjustment of one variable, then it shows Larian is at least testing it out, if not working toward larger parties. I take this as a good sign. Personally, 5 is the sweet spot for me.



Feel free to steal my profile pic if you feel the same way. Let's show some solidarity.
Page 84 of 97 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 96 97

Moderated by  Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5