Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Unfortunately I don't have steps to repeat this so all I can do is report it. Shortly after defeating the ogre and bugbear in the barn I lost my ability to save the game. I couldn't manually make a save (disabled) and I also couldn't quick save. The message I received when trying to quick save was something about "not able to save mid dialogue". You can get out of this by quitting the game and restarting it, but you'll lose everything after your last save.

Last edited by stimpatch; 23/02/22 05:07 AM.
OK. I have also spotted one or two instances where a dialogue seem to lock further action for a player.

My wife suddenly reported that while I was otherwise engaged, she cold only run around and look at the scenery.
No interaction possible. No opening containers. No talking to strangers.

Since my game crashed shortly after with a "black screen of BG3 death", I forgot to investigate further.
This was in the first visit to the grove after talking to Cold Ethyl.

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
old hand
old hand
I've experienced the same issue and can confirm that it is related to the ogre barn area. For me it happened after I climbed up to a meat chunk with a dagger in it. I was able to reproduce it several times in a row and filed a report through the e-mail form. Hope devs help.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Started a new game with the latest patch, something bugged out in the same barn with the ogre and the bugbear.

Since then, the game won't let me save and when I press F5, I get the same " can't save mid dialogue error".

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Adysian
Started a new game with the latest patch, something bugged out in the same barn with the ogre and the bugbear.

Since then, the game won't let me save and when I press F5, I get the same " can't save mid dialogue error".

I'm assuming that this is patch 9 despite the title of the thread this is posted in?

Is it possible one of your characters is stuck in dialogue? This seems to be happening more frequently with patch 9, though wasn't unknown earlier. If you have access to switch your characters you could cycle through them to see if one is talking, or you could just try pressing space a few times or even "1" a few times (in case there's some sort of hidden dialogue option). If you can replicate the bug from a new save, it might be worth submitting this one directly to Larian with the bugged save.

Good luck!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
the bug is long standing and basically happens when a character is out of combat [because invis or too far away, hiding etc] when the cut sence starts... at the end of that combat this character is left in limbo land unable to react to the rest of the world and the only fix is to load another save and start again

as of this patch 9 Larian changed most vid cut sences to auto select the main character in a bid to fix this bug... it didn't work of course but i see their logic

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.

Link Copied to Clipboard