Page 1 of 2 1 2
#809524 23/02/22 03:06 AM
N
napkin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Please get rid of this. The way it worked was fine, like in every rpg of this kind. Don't break something that doesn't need fixing.

I think it's a great idea that I cannot look through walls anymore, but it needs a little more tuning when e.g. a door has been opened or a wall is cracked/half torn down.

A great example of this not working is in the Inn where I want to rescue that dude from the fire and even though I smashed the door down I cannot see into the room until I step in it. But there now is fire everywhere.

veteran
veteran
I actually like the feature in principle, but it surely needs some additional work because currently it can be fairly wonky. There are times where you are in large open areas and entire parts that should be visible few meters away appear as pitch black.
Not to mention the effect isn't exactly the best looking attempt I've seen at "fog of war", aesthetically speaking.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I think when you open a door and should be able to see into the adjacent room but instead it's a huge cube of blackness that doesn't disappear until you step through the door is silly. It happens in the fight with the Ogre and Bugbear. I open the barn door and there's a black void on the inside. I can't even see the enemies to target them unless I walk up to them.

veteran
veteran
I don't have a problem with this feature.

I do want to say that if you stand next to a door, even if you're camera can't see through to the door to the inside of the room, it can see vision cones if go into hide. I think that might be an oversight.

Originally Posted by Yandruil
I think when you open a door and should be able to see into the adjacent room but instead it's a huge cube of blackness that doesn't disappear until you step through the door is silly. It happens in the fight with the Ogre and Bugbear. I open the barn door and there's a black void on the inside. I can't even see the enemies to target them unless I walk up to them.

True, I had the same problem. Also there seem to be some AI issues connected to this. I shot the door from afar since I did not want to trigger the dialogue, but after my first hit against the enemies (using shatter) I was "stealth successful" at first. Which is odd, to say the least. So the enemy AI seems to have trouble recognizing out of the room the same that we cannot see into it.

N
napkin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Simplest solution would be to make this a toggle. I personally hate it, some like it. Set it as a toggle in options.

old hand
old hand
I'm pretty sure this is the same as it was in FO3 (and probably any other game), the black areas cut down on load times, when you access the area it loads up.

Last edited by fallenj; 23/02/22 06:04 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
I like the addition of this 'fog of war'-ish feature. Sure its a bit buggy still and needs tweaking, but it makes exploration much more enjoyable for me.

veteran
veteran
I like this feature too, even if it's not perfect at the moment.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
N
napkin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by fallenj
I'm pretty sure this is the same as it was in FO3 (and probably any other game), the black areas cut down on load times, when you access the area it loads up.

its nothing to do with loading times, it was just introduced in the latest patch

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I believe Swen ensured us that this is still work in progress and only first look at feature. smile
So ... doubt it will look and work like this in final release. wink Maybe not even in next patch. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I think they mentioned they are still working on it. Overall the addition is great. An obvious thing to improve would be for LoS to gradually reveal the room (be able to peak into the room so to speak). As it is now after opening doors rooms keep being blacked out until we step in. That would be a more advanced feature so lets allow Larian to work on this addition more.

L
addict
addict
L
Line of Sight is a gamechanger even in pen and paper D&D. We've started using Fantasy Grounds Unity, and having lighting and line of sight makes such a big difference. Not knowing where enemies, or even allies, are and what they're doing when they're out of your line of sight can be terrifying.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by napkin
Originally Posted by fallenj

its nothing to do with loading times, it was just introduced in the latest patch

donno, sounds just like it though and ya I know.

Last edited by fallenj; 24/02/22 12:46 AM.
stranger
stranger
The doorway blackness issue is particularly well demonstrated in the fight against the Ogre and Hobgoblin in a barn. You open the door to the barn, see a cutscene of what is going on inside, a fight starts, and you can't do anything until you enter the door. Because the enemies inside are protected by an impenetrable fog of war. Very silly and counterintuitive. You better hope your ranged attackers didn't win inititative.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I wonder if they will implement fog of war even in outside world.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
So we want this feature to be a toggle or to be cut completely before it's even finished? ouch

It's a great feature, give it a chance.

I would take the feature in it's current form over what we had before i.e. omniscience. Way to kill the excitement by showing everything everywhere that you can't see.

I don't think a proper line of sight feature is too much to ask, where more of the room is revealed as you actually see it, rather than black box < full reveal.

L
addict
addict
L
BG3 is very forgiving when it comes to line of sight, aside from this blackout problem. I would be keen to have it so creatures outside your line of sight aren’t visible at all. If you’re not paying attention you might lose track of enemies, and ambushes/hiding becomes more impactful. That might not suit everyone though. It does make things more difficult so maybe could be tied to a difficulty setting.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Throrface
The doorway blackness issue is particularly well demonstrated in the fight against the Ogre and Hobgoblin in a barn. You open the door to the barn, see a cutscene of what is going on inside, a fight starts, and you can't do anything until you enter the door. Because the enemies inside are protected by an impenetrable fog of war. Very silly and counterintuitive. You better hope your ranged attackers didn't win inititative.
Yes, I did that fight yesterday it was really awkward.

Clearly current implimentation is lacking, but it's moving in the right direction. Create a system so we can "peak" into the room (of course the challenge will be so it won't be bugging out, or rather working as intended and giving us vision of a room through smallest cracks) so if the doors are wide open, and we are standing in front of it we can see what's inside.

Currect implementation is just simplest to do - it's a trigger. You enter the room you get to see what's in it. But it can and should get better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard