Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#809558 23/02/22 08:00 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So Torches, easy to get, help in the dark and the best non-magical 1 handed in the game.

First, its damage is 2d4 which is much better than 1d8.

Second, it has the light quality that means that it can be dual-wielded without a feat

Third, it is a torch so it allows you to see in the dark

Forth, it can be used by everyone

So, in conclusion, you have a weapon that is better than a martial weapon. That can be used by everyone who doesn't use dex as their main stat.

So what is the fix, well simple 1d4+1 fire damage and remove the light quality. then it will be just slightly better than a dagger and worse than everything else.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Remove Light from a torch? Is that what you mean? What's a torch's purpose if it won't emit any light then?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
Remove Light from a torch? Is that what you mean? What's a torch's purpose if it won't emit any light then?
Light Weapon as in not heavy.

A torch is not a weapon so it could be 1d4+1 with a 50% chance to break. It is silly torches make for such amazing weapons.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
A torch is not a weapon so it could be 1d4+1 with a 50% chance to break. It is silly torches make for such amazing weapons.
And when it breaks it should become club with 1d6 xD

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/02/22 09:33 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
In defense of the torch:
- You can cast the light cantrip
- You can have a char with darkvision
- You can dip any weapon in fire. It does not remove darkness disadvantage, but you can use a candle to do it anywhere. In earlier versions of the game, dropping and igniting a candle was not an action, I did not test it in patch 7.

side note:
I did not test if you can dip a torch (or any other weapon with elemental damage) to add even more elemental damage.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
Why does the torch need defense?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Madscientist
In earlier versions of the game, dropping and igniting a candle was not an action, I did not test it in patch 7.
Any items movement between game enviroment and inventory is still completely free.

Personaly i have no problem with torches ... they seem to me like lazytrap, just as everburning blade is ...
They seem strong, and they even are first few dozen minues is game ...
But once you get your hands on litteraly anything else (except Daggers) you have stronger weapons, for the cost of single Bonus Action (wich can easily be avoided with certain artefacts later. wink )

The only problem that was known with Torches was that they could be also poisoned ... i didnt try that yet in patch 7, but i hope that was allready fixed.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/02/22 11:00 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Poisoning a burning weapon makes total sense.
It should fill the area with toxic smoke.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
“ Any items movement between game enviroment and inventory is still completely free.”

Dropping items now require movement in Patch 7, so it’s not completely free anymore.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Basic Rules
Improvised Weapons
Sometimes characters don't have their weapons and have to attack with whatever is at hand. An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands, such as broken glass, a table leg, a frying pan, a wagon wheel, or a dead goblin.

Often, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such. For example, a table leg is akin to a club. At the DM's option, a character proficient with a weapon can use a similar object as if it were that weapon and use his or her proficiency bonus.

An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage (the DM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object). If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage. An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet.

So Torch sounds like a club so should work like one. Simple Melee Weapon, Light, 1d4. If lit, add 1 point of fire damage so 1d4 +1 fire, most people can use it like a club and you could dual wield them.

Oh, I would modify dipping to add only 1 point of whatever elemental damage seems correct so it's just a bit of favor.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 23/02/22 08:47 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard