Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RutgerF
Renaming won't help, just look how they are doing it:

... or unknown data...

I mean, Himmel Herrgott, why it's done this way? You create a checklist of all files the game contains, along with their sizes, and (if you are really paranoid) their checksums. That's it. If someone manages to save a picture of Astarion's ugly mug in that folder, it should be no problem, because the game doesn't know of that file, and will never touch it.

Porca madonna, what a bunch of amateurs. They are literally stepping on their own rakes.

Im fully aware that a renamed file COULD be seen as an unknown.
But why is it so important to let the launcher show that message, when a renamed file would do no harm?
Is that check a part of a future anti tampering method?
I mean comon, this is no game where people a competitive playing.
But if you like the picture of people stepping on thier rakes... well, laugh away fully on. Might be a sight to be seen wink

Last edited by TheHero; 24/02/22 11:56 PM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
+1. Not having any issues playing, but get the error everytime I start playing. Hopefully it stays that way.

Don't know if it's related, but Vulcan seems to make my game really slow and laggy. DirectX seems to be fine though.

stranger
stranger
I'm also having the same issue, only seemed to happen when the hotfix was applied. I can play the game fine so far and other than the typical occasional bug nothing's gone terribly wrong. I tried deleting the old launcher folder and verifying the files but that hasn't done anything. Ah well, it's not a problem till it becomes a problem I guess.

K
stranger
stranger
K
thanks this fixed everything for me, the health bar is back to normal, I can open the character sheet, and the context is back to normal

stranger
stranger
I think I may have found a (temporary? it's yet to break on me) fix! I opened the launcher 'steam_4.1.1.1473368_alteredFiles' file located in the appdata/local/larian etc. cache directory, and it pointed out the file DWrite.dll in the game's bin folder was apparently the altered file. I moved it elsewhere and the error message no longer shows up and an issue I was having with a CTD bug disappeared.

Dunno if this method might help others find what their specific problems are but thought I'd report my findings.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I was able to fix this issue by deleting both the new and old Larian Studios folders from my drive and then do a new installation. I believe one was "Larian Studios" and the other was "Larianstudios"

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by maiaofmelkor
I think I may have found a (temporary? it's yet to break on me) fix! I opened the launcher 'steam_4.1.1.1473368_alteredFiles' file located in the appdata/local/larian etc. cache directory, and it pointed out the file DWrite.dll in the game's bin folder was apparently the altered file. I moved it elsewhere and the error message no longer shows up and an issue I was having with a CTD bug disappeared.

Dunno if this method might help others find what their specific problems are but thought I'd report my findings.

I'm going to try this next, thanks for letting everyone know. I had everything fixed, but after hotfix 20, it came back. Did everything the support page said, but no luck. Also that first paragraph on the support page (see below): what am I supposed to do? I tried deleting the folder, or the alteredfile.txt thingy, but it refuses to be deleted (it comes back, appearing outta nowhere, even after I delete it).

"In this case, there should be a log file listing any files in the install folder which are not expected, as well as files in the Mods folder. Copy %LocalAppData%\Larian Studios\Launcher\Cache into the location bar in Explorer and hit Enter, then look for a text file named for the platform (steam/galaxy), the game version number and ending with '_alteredFiles.txt'."

Okay, yes.... aaaaaand? What do you want me to do with this, @Larian ? Delete it? Rename it? I find this very unclear, since I'm not super PC literate. Anyone help?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by MarcoNeves

I'm going to try this next, thanks for letting everyone know. I had everything fixed, but after hotfix 20, it came back. Did everything the support page said, but no luck. Also that first paragraph on the support page (see below): what am I supposed to do? I tried deleting the folder, or the alteredfile.txt thingy, but it refuses to be deleted (it comes back, appearing outta nowhere, even after I delete it).

"In this case, there should be a log file listing any files in the install folder which are not expected, as well as files in the Mods folder. Copy %LocalAppData%\Larian Studios\Launcher\Cache into the location bar in Explorer and hit Enter, then look for a text file named for the platform (steam/galaxy), the game version number and ending with '_alteredFiles.txt'."

Okay, yes.... aaaaaand? What do you want me to do with this, @Larian ? Delete it? Rename it? I find this very unclear, since I'm not super PC literate. Anyone help?

Ah! Just open that file in notepad and it should tell you which file is causing the problem. The alteredfiles.txt file isn't the issue itself, it's like a log basically. When I found out what file had been altered thanks to the error log, I just moved it to another folder in my computer so I could just move it back if it made the problem worse/didn't do anything etc.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Ah! Just open that file in notepad and it should tell you which file is causing the problem. The alteredfiles.txt file isn't the issue itself, it's like a log basically. When I found out what file had been altered thanks to the error log, I just moved it to another folder in my computer so I could just move it back if it made the problem worse/didn't do anything etc.

OMG, thank you so much for explaining this to me. I hate being PC illiterate.... I expect bugs and issues in Early Access video game IN-GAME, but not outside the game and having to deal with data folders, etc. That said, I've learned so much, maybe I am no longer as illiterate as I thought. lol

enthusiast
enthusiast

OMG, thank you so much for explaining this to me. I hate being PC illiterate.... I expect bugs and issues in Early Access video game IN-GAME, but not outside the game and having to deal with data folders, etc. That said, I've learned so much, maybe I am no longer as illiterate as I thought. lol

I’m so lost. Ok, so I opened the alteredFiles.txt on notepad and it shows a list of 18 (!!) altered files all of which look like this:

!Downloads\setup_baldurs_gate_3_4.1.84.2021_(64bit)_(41970)-1(or another number).bin or exe

What do I do? Find and go to the !Downloads folder, and move all 18 files literally anywhere else?

Last edited by MarcoNeves; 01/03/22 08:44 AM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
I'm reading these comments and don't believe some of you didn't have broken mods in the game. Because such failures occur most often either due to total bugs in the update, or due to installed mods from God knows where. A cloud save failure is also possible, but does it look like this? The option to delete folders is interesting, you fix the save path. But in that case, I'm still interested in cases where it doesn't solve the problem. And this is clearly not a technical error of the hard drive. Lots of questions...

Last edited by Juamanix; 26/04/22 11:55 AM.
stranger
stranger
I seriosuly give up. Every damned time I attempt to play this game It's another stupid error. I have tried all suggestion above and the ones from Larian's help page. This is a goddamned joke and I wish I could just get my money back.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard