Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 86 of 115 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 114 115
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
it just makes me look at classes I don't particularly love and say "Well, tough luck, sucker".
Agreed. frown

Originally Posted by JandK
We don't even know how many companions are going to be available in Act II and Act III.
Personaly i hope for none. :-/

There is nothing worse in my experience than companion who joins your party at last moment (even worse is if game FORCES you to take new guy -_- ) and replace someone you allready know, know how to play, and you developed some relationship with. :-/

We should get all companions right from the start, the sooner the better ...

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
We don't even know how many companions are going to be available in Act II and Act III.
It doesn’t really make any difference when it comes to this topic in particular.
They may be the current five, they could be fifteen.
A small party with little variety of classes, builds and characters across a long-ass CRPG spawning dozens of hours would suck regardless.

Last edited by Tuco; 25/02/22 02:57 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
it just makes me look at classes I don't particularly love and say "Well, tough luck, sucker".
Agreed. frown

Personaly i hope for none. :-/

There is nothing worse in my experience than companion who joins your party at last moment (even worse is if game FORCES you to take new guy -_- ) and replace someone you allready know, know how to play, and you developed some relationship with. :-/

We should get all companions right from the start, the sooner the better ...

Oh gosh! I HOPE they give us lots more companions. I thought you wanted that too.

Ugh! Heck no. Don't lock us in to the same dang 5 companions for the whole game.

I want:

Karlach
Halsin
Maybe even Vengeance and/or the other 3 Masks
Minthara for the evil path
Mercenaries - Custom characters I can bring in later or right from the start
Maybe even Jaheira and/or Minsc

Additional companion options provide more variety and options so that if I am liking a present party member less and less, I can NOT continue with them.

How nice would it be for some players to kill Astarion but meet a Rogue or hire a Custom Rogue at the Grove. Some people, like my wife, hate Lae'zel and Shadowheart. It'd be nice to have some other cleric and fighter options.

And Karlach is my MOST coveted hopeful companion option right now. I REALLY want them to add her as a potential.

But, you know, I'd like to be able to recruit even a few odd ones, like Bernard, the automaton. Once you convince him you're Lenore, you can convince him to be in your party.

Or what about Thrinn if you take the Absolute path... or Nere, though I can't stand him personally?

Yeah, no. How many companions we have to choose from has a considerable bearing on party size. If anything, the more options, which I want, the more a party of 6 is important so you aren't SUPER limited on who you can have with you.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I HOPE they give us lots more companions. I thought you wanted that too.
I do ...
But i want them to be spreaded around Act 1 ... prefferable would be exclusively!

But yes, i certainly want that too ...
I want AT LEAST single Origin character per class ... i mean i would probably not play them, certainly not all of them even tho i may try some ... but still want option to pick to my party whatever the hells i want ... not just what im offered. frown
And it aply to Early Acess aswell ... maybe even more than full release ... i just want to test and see synergy between Barbarian, Sorcerer, Druid and Ranger ... the only way to get that right now is to make custom party. Wich completely differs your experience. frown

Also in my honest opinion the absolute basic should be two (one good and one evil) per class ... or at least some replacement if the character leave you (i mean right now the only way to have Warlock in your party is to play good guy ... ugh) ... OR and that would be also quite nice, some dialogue options that would keep the character in your group, even if your basic Aligments are incompatible ... i would sign my soul to Swen ... i mean Devil ... for some really good Coruption (ok, or redemption) arcs for companions. :3

I would certainly not mind mercenaries in Act 1 allready ...
For example that Zentharim guy, you can make a deal with when you save his ass from Gnols ... and a little later from his previous boss ... that seem like perfect candidate for being Sword (or dagger & bow?) for hire ...
Or Aradin (and basicaly everyone from his group) ...
There should be possible to persuate Nettie to go with you search for Halsin ...
I would not even mind if some of Tieflings would be hireable. :3 Especialy Lakrissa. laugh
(Just for the context ... the joke is that "krysa" in my language means "rat" laugh )

How nice would it be for some players to kill Astarion but meet a Rogue or hire a Custom Rogue at the Grove.
In context to previous quotes:
How horrible it would be if those players would either had to play Rogue themselves, or wait for it til Act 3? :-/

That is what im against, especialy if that would be some kind of companion that you HAVE TO take with you (seen that before in some games) ... this model "Hi, im nobody you know, but now you believe me that im important for the story, so even tho you allready have your own party from thrusted, sometimes even loved, equipped and in all other ways prepared adventurers ... pick one to kick out and take me instead! I can promise i shall judge every decision you make from now on." -_-

Some people, like my wife, hate Lae'zel and Shadowheart. It'd be nice to have some other cleric and fighter options.

And Karlach is my MOST coveted hopeful companion option right now. I REALLY want them to add her as a potential.

But, you know, I'd like to be able to recruit even a few odd ones, like Bernard, the automaton. Once you convince him you're Lenore, you can convince him to be in your party.

Or what about Thrinn if you take the Absolute path... or Nere, though I can't stand him personally?
Yeah, that i would like too ...
Bernard would be indeed great companion, and he dont even need to talk, since his programing dont gave him own will. Perfect!

Especialy the Absolute path seems to be in critical need for own set of companions, since except Astarion nobody seems to be willing to walk it. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/02/22 03:49 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
The variable is called DB_Origins_MaxPartySize(1) – and normally has a value of 4. You can change it up to 8. That's literally how easy it is, you don't need modders to work on this. Which means Larian has built the engine and the UI to handle parties of that size. I understand it's so you can have followers etc too, but basically larger parties are effectively already in the game, it just needs to be enabled.
Very good to know, but how does one access this variable to change its value? Is that a complicated process, especially in the context of people like me who are not at all versed in coding?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
The variable is called DB_Origins_MaxPartySize(1) – and normally has a value of 4. You can change it up to 8. That's literally how easy it is, you don't need modders to work on this. Which means Larian has built the engine and the UI to handle parties of that size. I understand it's so you can have followers etc too, but basically larger parties are effectively already in the game, it just needs to be enabled.
Very good to know, but how does one access this variable to change its value? Is that a complicated process, especially in the context of people like me who are not at all versed in coding?
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181

1. Start a New Game and do a Safestate.

2. Download: https://github.com/Norbyte/lslib/releases

3. Extract the .ZIP where you want and start ConverterApp.exe

4. at Top pick Game: Baldurs Gate 3
at the Tabs click Story (OSI)tools
 at Story/savegame file Path: press the "..."
 and Navigate to
 C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\YOU\Savegames\Story\safename\safename.lsv
 Then Press load at right top. Wait a little and a Message with Save game database loaded succesfully comes. press ok.
 at Database Editor search for the Database: DB_Origins_MaxPartySize(1) # 1198 (1rows)
 there are sorted by Numbers. That mean you have to move from the #1 till # 1198

5. Then the Value shows u a "4". Change it to 6 or 8 what ever you want (4-8). (8 if u do 1 Start char and 2 custom Chars at beginning. + all 5 Companions can join)
6. When you done it Press Save.

wink

veteran
veteran

It's a matter of going to a website, download the tool. Load a save file into the tool, scroll for the value, and change it. There are step by step instructions.

BUT your game will know you've done it and tell you that you're using a modded save, and if your computer is like mine it might crash your game more frequently.

Others didn't seem to have crashing problems, though.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Some random thoughts on things I've seen posted here lately.

I'm not sure if we will have them for Act 1, but Larian did confirm they are going to have some kind of "hired mercenary" system for basic class access without forcing players to use the Origin companions.

I "believe" last we heard was 8 Origin companions for release. The remaining 3 possibly already known, I won't say here. While I personally am not a fan of the Origin companions idea overall, I would like to see at least 1 per class if they are going that route though. Hired mercenary's may be able to be custom built for max potential but lack the side quests and extras that fully developed companions come with(Origin or not). I'm generally always for more options.

On "repeatability"... I'm sure someone can call up the exact statistics and prove me right/wrong whatever, but I believe I can safely say most people don't even completely finish a single play through of most their games. 4 or 6 players per group at 8 Origins means you need 2 runs at least regardless to see everything.

As to the OP 4 v 6 debate. I believe some of the complaints elsewhere about classes being more diluted and generalized, ie everybody has bonus action stealth/can use scrolls/etc are directly related to the decision to go with a 4 player party coupled with not wanting to "force" multiplayer players into a "last guy to join has to play the healer" type situation. A party of 6 means you don't NEED to min/max quite so much and can afford to try adding characters who maybe wouldn't be quite so optimal.

Last edited by OcO; 26/02/22 02:13 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
both pathfinder kingmaker and wrath of the righteous allows us to play with all companions in 1 single playthrough. it's player choice who they want to bring them along and never lock them out so that you have to play 2nd playthrough. i like that idea. i concur. a party of 6 provide players more flexibility in how we want to play the game. we can even pick support classes as main hero if we so choose and not forced into having a min/max party. having more options means game will be more fun.

thing is i kinda feel larian design always wanted to give players some artificial difficulty and challenge by restricting players with 4 characters and then proceed with bombarding players with outnumbered foes. and the only method to play it is that players have to resort to terrain/height/shove/barrel exploits to win battles. i say larian should forget their old formula. pathfinder has difficulty without having to resorts to exploits. the way to bypass pathfinder difficulty is to learn the rules and mechanic.

veteran
veteran

It's a matter of going to a website, download the tool. Load a save file into the tool, scroll for the value, and change it. There are step by step instructions.

BUT your game will know you've done it and tell you that you're using a modded save, and if your computer is like mine it might crash your game more frequently.

Aha! So it is your save file that gets changed, not the game files directly. And I suppose that carries over into additional future saves you create?

veteran
veteran

Aha! So it is your save file that gets changed, not the game files directly. And I suppose that carries over into additional future saves you create?

For each save, you have to do it again.

veteran
veteran

For each save, you have to do it again.
Seriously?! So you have to keep reusing the same save again and again, which also means quicksaves and autosaves won't work. frown

A
addict
addict
A
Means we can't save to another save games? If that's the case is possible to make duplicates of the same save files? That tedium is really discouraging. Larian give us 6 party character already!.

veteran
veteran
My bad. No. I miscommunicated. Once you tweak the first save, all saves and quicksaves within that particular playthrough of saves will be fine.

I meant it does not carry over to other playthroughs. Every time you create a new character, you have to do it again.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Sure it does ...
Once you altern the value, it stay alterned for future saves, for that particular party until you create new one ... wink

If you start new game tho, the notification window telling you have alterned game files may occur again, but your party limit will be set to 4 until you change it again. smile

A
addict
addict
A
My bad. No. I miscommunicated. Once you tweak the first save, all saves and quicksaves within that particular playthrough of saves will be fine.

I meant it does not carry over to other playthroughs. Every time you create a new character, you have to do it again.

ahh i see. then that isn't so bad. but still official support from larian having the options for 6 party characters will be neat. imagine future patches or expansion break the mod and it no longer works. with 6 party characters i like to see balance made on the encounters as well.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven

ahh i see. then that isn't so bad. but still official support from larian having the options for 6 party characters will be neat. imagine future patches or expansion break the mod and it no longer works. with 6 party characters i like to see balance made on the encounters as well.

Exactly

veteran
veteran

Oh thank God! Thanks for the clarification. smile

But like @Archaven said ....

The tweak I used NEVER involved multiplayer, though? It just involved tweaking a save file variable to allow a larger party.
It's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181?tab=description
Also, "changing method" doesn't really fit my needs, since the idea was playing with all the currently available companions in party like I did in the past, not with mute custom droids.

I kinda know how to fix your error Tuco, because i never use singleplayer mode so i can't meet that condition until now.
To make that mod work you must use Multiplayer mode even when play alone, here is proof:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So either MULTIPLAYER or no MOD, it's your call. And yeah i know my English suck, i am an asian

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
veteran
veteran
As I said in a previous reply, I actually got it working just fine simply updating the tools used to edit the savefile.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 86 of 115 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 114 115

Link Copied to Clipboard