Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Sorry if I’ve missed it, but I haven’t seen any discussion here yet about the new patch 7 items generating or using Lightning charges. Has anyone managed to make good use of them? My first impression is that they seem a right faff and most of their names are just silly, but should I persevere?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
They are somewhat set-pieces. You should find another item, that will actually allow you to use those charges. That's it.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Yes, I’ve found a few items but I’m wondering whether people are finding it worthwhile to change how they fight just to take advantage of the sets. Perhaps I’m just not doing it properly, but I’m not finding that the way I play is building up many charges naturally so I’d have to go out of my way to do so. Seems a bit fiddly, but I guess I’ll carry on looking for a good combo of items and character.

(I can see some of the ones I’ve found already working if I had a rogue in my party who might do more dashing, but I’m trying a playthrough without one.)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Astarion -> Boots + Gloves. Lack of medium armor proficiency doesn't seem to register for the boots, so no downsides to wearing them.
Choose thief at Lvl 3, and then you can double dash every turn with your BA to benefit from +1D8 damage from the lightning discharge. Add poison + sneak attack + 1 damage from just having the charges in the first place, and voila.

Last edited by sheffie01; 18/02/22 09:03 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by sheffie01
Astarion -> Boots + Gloves. Lack of medium armor proficiency doesn't seem to register for the boots, so no downsides to wearing them.
Choose thief at Lvl 3, and then you can double dash every turn with your BA to benefit from +1D8 damage from the lightning discharge. Add poison + sneak attack + 1 damage from just having the charges in the first place, and voila.

Thanks, I’ll try this when I next play with a rogue in my party.

journeyman
journeyman
Okay, first, these names are garbage.

Then we have to ask where all these magical items are coming from, and why they are where they are.

Perhaps it should be pointed out to the devs exactly what page in the dungeon masters guide magical item creation is located (128-129), because they seem to think they're so common and so easy to make that enchanters would not only name these items frivolously, but invest the time, resources, and money into creating set items for very low level adventurers, and then losing them.

I applaud the desire to be creative, I think they should make a few magical items unique to the developer, but in the same vein, they should understand the in game creation process and rarity of the items they are feeding into the world.

Just becaue it only takes the devs fifteen minutes to code in a suit of frosty armor flakes or a sword kabob, doesn't mean they should, or that the rules allow it. If they didn't want to take this title seriously, they should have made DoS3.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dustmen

Then we have to ask where all these magical items are coming from, and why they are where they are.

Perhaps it should be pointed out to the devs exactly what page in the dungeon masters guide magical item creation is located (128-129), because they seem to think they're so common and so easy to make that enchanters would not only name these items frivolously, but invest the time, resources, and money into creating set items for very low level adventurers, and then losing them.

I applaud the desire to be creative, I think they should make a few magical items unique to the developer, but in the same vein, they should understand the in game creation process and rarity of the items they are feeding into the world.

Just becaue it only takes the devs fifteen minutes to code in a suit of frosty armor flakes or a sword kabob, doesn't mean they should, or that the rules allow it. If they didn't want to take this title seriously, they should have made DoS3.

A+

My thoughts exactly.

veteran
veteran

My thoughts exactly.

I'm starting to find their blatant disregard for an existing setting and ruleset really frustrating and arrogant, really. People are coming to a D&D game expecting to play D&D, not some Divinity sequel with a D&D facade. The MMO style item grind is one of the main things I never want to see in a D&D title. A studio can put their own stamp on D&D and Forgotten Realms without completely overriding the spirit of the ruleset and the setting. Tone it the ¤%&# down, Larian.

The fact that players have to ask "are these worth using" already shows how the spirit of D&D is not in this design. Magic items are supposed to be rare and awesome. They are supposed to make sense in the game world. No one would enchant an Axe that only works when the wielder is half dead. Why would you add such a senseless condition to a weapon? D&D magic items are not expendable junk you find in every nook and cranny and constantly upgrade. And that's what they said in the beginning of EA. Clearly they don't believe in D&D and what makes it unique anymore or changed their minds after players who have been conditioned to MMO's complained about the lack of items.

How many new conditions/status effects do we now have? Burning, Frostburn, Infested, Hamstrung, Chest Trauma, Shocked, Electrocuted, Wrath, Momentum, Lightning Charges, Blooded, "less than 50% hp", "when you heal / jump / dash"... I've completely lost count. A bazillion very minor status effects coming from a bazillion homebrew magic items. It's an unnecessary mess. A more complicated game does not equal a better game. With this, less is more. In both the number of magic items and the style of properties they have.

L
addict
addict
L
After Tasha’s came out with a bunch of cool stuff for spellcasters, everyone was wanting new and more interesting magic items for martials in 5E… but I’m not sure this is the answer. I’m wondering how much dialog there is between Larian and WoTC these days

Last edited by LukasPrism; 26/02/22 12:15 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Their names and descriptions sure seem like they are a shoehorned homage to somebody's OC, as every single one's effectively a passage from a fanfic / background...

Honestly, I am not personally opposed to magical items that go beyond "+1 bonus", "set ability score to 19", or "cast this spell at will". Solasta's selection of enchanted / attuned equipment was very underwhelming, for example. But these are too much and too gimmicky, and making a whole set of items that favours a very specific, very narrow playstyle and will probably go ignored by most players is, frankly, unnecessary. It's basically the colourful equivalent of Pathfinder games drowning the player in samey, faceless items that get sold for the most part.

journeyman
journeyman
It's very kitschy and campy. With each iteration of BG3 I am less impressed. But, hey. I'm only one person. I am sure they won't miss me. Hopefully it is only an EA experiment.

Joe

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O

Originally Posted by 1varangian

My thoughts exactly.

I'm starting to find their blatant disregard for an existing setting and ruleset really frustrating and arrogant, really. People are coming to a D&D game expecting to play D&D, not some Divinity sequel with a D&D facade. The MMO style item grind is one of the main things I never want to see in a D&D title. A studio can put their own stamp on D&D and Forgotten Realms without completely overriding the spirit of the ruleset and the setting. Tone it the ¤%&# down, Larian.

The fact that players have to ask "are these worth using" already shows how the spirit of D&D is not in this design. Magic items are supposed to be rare and awesome. They are supposed to make sense in the game world. No one would enchant an Axe that only works when the wielder is half dead. Why would you add such a senseless condition to a weapon? D&D magic items are not expendable junk you find in every nook and cranny and constantly upgrade. And that's what they said in the beginning of EA. Clearly they don't believe in D&D and what makes it unique anymore or changed their minds after players who have been conditioned to MMO's complained about the lack of items.

How many new conditions/status effects do we now have? Burning, Frostburn, Infested, Hamstrung, Chest Trauma, Shocked, Electrocuted, Wrath, Momentum, Lightning Charges, Blooded, "less than 50% hp", "when you heal / jump / dash"... I've completely lost count. A bazillion very minor status effects coming from a bazillion homebrew magic items. It's an unnecessary mess. A more complicated game does not equal a better game. With this, less is more. In both the number of magic items and the style of properties they have.

+1 to both of these imo.
Are Bags of Holding still a thing in 5e? I'm kinda surprised there isn't 1 in BG3 somewhere. Off the top of my head I honestly don't remember a lot of specific magic items from older lore/editions other than things like vorpal weapons. Any other iconic items we haven't seen?

journeyman
journeyman
“ Are Bags of Holding still a thing in 5e? I'm kinda surprised there isn't 1 in BG3 somewhere.”

There is one is BG3. It’s called “Send to Camp” when you right click on an item.

veteran
veteran
I dont understand ...
Please help me somebody here ... people are complaining that they dont like this items, and want something closerly related to DnD ... why there isnt even a single example of item they would like to see?

Do you expect Developers to just create one item after anthoer and hoping they finaly reach your hopes and then delete everythig else? O_o

---

I honestly dont even understand what is so wrong about items we have ...
The single clear complain i noticed was about somebody disliking names of those items ... once again no suggestion for something better. O_o
I mean i get that some names dont "sound good" to someone ... but not every sword in the world can be Frostmourne. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/02/22 07:35 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dont understand ...
Please help me somebody here ... people are complaining that they dont like this items, and want something closerly related to DnD ... why there isnt even a single example of item they would like to see?

Do you expect Developers to just create one item after anthoer and hoping they finaly reach your hopes and then delete everythig else? O_o

---

The single clear complain i noticed was about somebody disliking names of those items ... once again no suggestion for something better. O_o
I mean i get that some names dont "sound good" to someone ... but not every sword in the world can be Frostmourne. :-/

I hope you’re just being provocative here… it’s pretty obvious people don’t want Larian creating random items until they stumble onto something. They want them to start with ones that already exist in D&D. To name a few that would be reasonably appropriate for lower levels: Armor of Fire Resistance, Goggles of Night, Gloves of Missile Snaring, Alchemy Jug, Bracers of Archery, Boots of Elvenkind, Dagger of Venom, Periapt of Wound Closure, Sentinel Shield, maybe a Chime of Opening… someone already mentioned Bag of Holding which is a must. There are dozens of great candidates already in the DMG…

A
A
I dont understand ...

---

I'm with you on that. I do not see anything wrong with having various magic items to suit different playstyles. IMHO It is better to have more options then less. I for one have no idea what the DnD tabletop is, don't know the rules nor do I wish to. And I can assume that the majority of people bying the game would be like me. Buying fantasy RPG game to have fun. I can only speak for myself and being a min/max gamer I do use those "risky" items all the time. Simply put I like the variety of magic items. If you don't like them or need them simply do not use them. The game is easy enough to solo at least until they implement the difficulty levels.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
I hope you’re just being provocative here…
A little ... but it certainly worked. laugh

it’s pretty obvious people don’t want Larian creating random items until they stumble onto something. They want them to start with ones that already exist in D&D.
Yeah i gathered as much ... what dont come to me is a reason.

Those people insist to get things they allready know bcs ... ?
And what does it matter what will be added first?
And what does it matter if besides SOME (since nobody ever told that every PHB artefact will be implemented, nor that nothing outside it will not) of them there will be something new?

I dunno, it seems quite simple ...
You find item ... you like it > you use it ... you dont like it > you sell it (or hide it in your camp if you are like me laugh ).
Whats the big fuss about? laugh

If i would like to be provocative (and also brutaly honest) i would say something like those reactions seems to me a lot like:
Boo-hoo i didnt get the toy i wished for! :-/

To name a few…
Is all i asked ... and i get it, finaly. smile

To be quite honest few of them actualy sounds interesting ... some others seems to be just fine i gues, kinda ... but there are also items that are just meh, like send to vendor in first opourtunity anyway. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/02/22 09:47 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Hi folks!

Just my two cents. laugh

In my current playthrough (Seldarine Drow Fighter, dual-wielding), I'm honestly not getting any use out of the new magical items. The only use I've found for them is to, well, sell them. I have a fighter-heavy party right now, and honestly, all the cute gimmicks don't help much. If I use 'Dash' as a fighter, that's my action for that round. Depending on the fight, I'm not wasting my action on that unless they're out of immediate melee range.

(And if they're all considered "Rare", why can't they be used for Gale's little... consumption habit? laugh )

And maybe it's my old 3.5 D&D reflexes kicking in, but honest to god, I want all the magical armour and weapons to have an Enhancement Bonus. I've skipped all the custom magic items for the most part, just so I can have everyone with +1 weapons and gear. (I'd love for the 'Everburn' sword to be +1, but I've managed to be happy with the extra fire damage.) The +1 bonuses honestly go further for me than trying to remember how to assemble or use all the 'special' abilities.

Because this is early access, I am suspecting that the avalanche of new magic items is, in part, to test things out. So I'm not getting terribly worked up - I can already see where they've changed things from the last time I played the game.

Later!

SKP laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by andromeda087
I dont understand ...

---

I'm with you on that. I do not see anything wrong with having various magic items to suit different playstyles. IMHO It is better to have more options then less. I for one have no idea what the DnD tabletop is, don't know the rules nor do I wish to. And I can assume that the majority of people bying the game would be like me. Buying fantasy RPG game to have fun. I can only speak for myself and being a min/max gamer I do use those "risky" items all the time. Simply put I like the variety of magic items. If you don't like them or need them simply do not use them. The game is easy enough to solo at least until they implement the difficulty levels.

Would you have less fun with more DnD items and less Larian wtf items ?

Many items in BG3, especially weapons and armors are totally unapealing. TBH I never know what to use because most items sucks for various reasons.

What is your choice between a common +1 AC or a Legendary armor forged deep in the underdark that gives -1 to an ennemy attack roll ?
Resistance to cold damage ? (Is there ANY cold damage in BG3 ?)
Resistance to slashing + vulnerability to bludgeoning ? You like to check your ennemies at every combats right ?
Spears dealing massive damage against 1 creature, but totally useless against other... Keep it in your inventory, maybe you'll use it !
Small heal but can makes you mad ?
Become super man under 50% HP.
Become a magic missile machine gun !
Jump jump jump to deal AoE damages !
Heal someone to heal you + coat your weapons with poison + avoid all attacks of opportunity !

May we just choose between various possibilities to improve a few aspects of our characters attack/defense rather than between useless, gimmicky, exploitable, overpowered and/or items that totally drives the characters gameplay ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/02/22 10:24 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
You know, I just don't understand why they created more work for themselves. There were tons of items and weapons and equipment in D&D already that they could just take and use and they would have been awesome to find and equipped to our characters. They're trying to craft all their own weapons, and it's kind of falling flat. At first, I'm like, man these weapons are awesome. They sound so cool and they seem like they're going to be really neat. Then I equip them and they're not as great as I thought they were going to be.

Just use D&D weapons.

Short sword of wounding
Stormbow
Long sword of stinging

Last edited by GM4Him; 26/02/22 10:42 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard