Print Thread
Page 86 of 97 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 96 97
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
The variable is called DB_Origins_MaxPartySize(1) – and normally has a value of 4. You can change it up to 8. That's literally how easy it is, you don't need modders to work on this. Which means Larian has built the engine and the UI to handle parties of that size. I understand it's so you can have followers etc too, but basically larger parties are effectively already in the game, it just needs to be enabled.
Very good to know, but how does one access this variable to change its value? Is that a complicated process, especially in the context of people like me who are not at all versed in coding?

It's a matter of going to a website, download the tool. Load a save file into the tool, scroll for the value, and change it. There are step by step instructions.

BUT your game will know you've done it and tell you that you're using a modded save, and if your computer is like mine it might crash your game more frequently.

Others didn't seem to have crashing problems, though.
Aha! So it is your save file that gets changed, not the game files directly. And I suppose that carries over into additional future saves you create?

For each save, you have to do it again.

veteran
veteran
Aha! So it is your save file that gets changed, not the game files directly. And I suppose that carries over into additional future saves you create?

For each save, you have to do it again.
Seriously?! So you have to keep reusing the same save again and again, which also means quicksaves and autosaves won't work. frown

A
addict
addict
A
Means we can't save to another save games? If that's the case is possible to make duplicates of the same save files? That tedium is really discouraging. Larian give us 6 party character already!.

veteran
veteran
My bad. No. I miscommunicated. Once you tweak the first save, all saves and quicksaves within that particular playthrough of saves will be fine.

I meant it does not carry over to other playthroughs. Every time you create a new character, you have to do it again.

veteran
veteran
Sure it does ...
Once you altern the value, it stay alterned for future saves, for that particular party until you create new one ... wink

If you start new game tho, the notification window telling you have alterned game files may occur again, but your party limit will be set to 4 until you change it again. smile

In the words of the senior NCO instructor at cadet battalion:
“If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And if you got caught you didn’t try hard enough!”
A
addict
addict
A
My bad. No. I miscommunicated. Once you tweak the first save, all saves and quicksaves within that particular playthrough of saves will be fine.

I meant it does not carry over to other playthroughs. Every time you create a new character, you have to do it again.

ahh i see. then that isn't so bad. but still official support from larian having the options for 6 party characters will be neat. imagine future patches or expansion break the mod and it no longer works. with 6 party characters i like to see balance made on the encounters as well.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven

ahh i see. then that isn't so bad. but still official support from larian having the options for 6 party characters will be neat. imagine future patches or expansion break the mod and it no longer works. with 6 party characters i like to see balance made on the encounters as well.

Exactly

veteran
veteran

Oh thank God! Thanks for the clarification. smile

But like @Archaven said ....

Originally Posted by Tuco
The tweak I used NEVER involved multiplayer, though? It just involved tweaking a save file variable to allow a larger party.
It's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/181?tab=description
Also, "changing method" doesn't really fit my needs, since the idea was playing with all the currently available companions in party like I did in the past, not with mute custom droids.

I kinda know how to fix your error Tuco, because i never use singleplayer mode so i can't meet that condition until now.
To make that mod work you must use Multiplayer mode even when play alone, here is proof:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So either MULTIPLAYER or no MOD, it's your call. And yeah i know my English suck, i am an asian

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
veteran
veteran
As I said in a previous reply, I actually got it working just fine simply updating the tools used to edit the savefile.

stranger
stranger
For me party limitation is just shouting "you are playing the game! it has game limitations!"
And yes, nearly every game has such limitations...
but they usually just dont make accent on it. You just know you have slots to fill and thats it (that is why I like system where you must choose companiaons each time and dont listen them complaning about being kicked from pre-made group)

In BG3 game is just throwing the fact that there are in-game limitations in my face.
I meet Lae'zel who is eager to remove tadpole and when I ack her to join me she just says "no, your group is full (!), I`ll sit in your camp and wait.." what? WHAT??? crazy

The worse is with "new" camp system where the camp is build into the surroundings in dungeons... I like the idea, I hate loosers among companions being there. I travel through the dangerour area with alot of enemies (lets say Underdark) with 4 people, but each time I camp there are 6 people... What other 2 are doing I want to ask, follow at the safe distance or what?

Also found that each time I play I end up with the same "useless" compations sitting an the camp 100% of the time and doing nothing and I run with the same group of 3 and listen the same their dialogs that I already have heard many times...
And I have feeling the same will be after release for me: one and the same party from start to the end...

Last edited by Deirdre; 30/03/22 11:37 AM.
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
I think that could be explained easily. I don't like worlds which turn around the "hero" and his/her group and I don't like companions which are 100% to the main heros taste and licking his/her ... all the time. As allegedly the world is big and wild, there could be space for more parties of heros traveling around. The companions you see in the camp during rests do their own business the day over, they are just too polite to inform you how boring your adventures are in comparison to their own.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by geala
I think that could be explained easily. I don't like worlds which turn around the "hero" and his/her group and I don't like companions which are 100% to the main heros taste and licking his/her ... all the time. As allegedly the world is big and wild, there could be space for more parties of heros traveling around. The companions you see in the camp during rests do their own business the day over, they are just too polite to inform you how boring your adventures are in comparison to their own.
Except in BG3, there is nothing more important to our companions than our current main quest: deal with the tadpoles. Except for maybe Gale's bomb, but he tells us about that and requires we bring him items, and therefore isn't going off on his own to deal with it. So it doesn't really make sense that the companions aren't putting 100% of their effort into solving the tadpole issue.

I think it'd be interesting if, when you don't make quick enough progress in reaching each companion's preferred method of solving the tadpole (e.g., going to the Gith Creche for Lae'zel), the companions become dissatisfied with you. First they have a talk with you imploring and then demanding that you go there next. If you continue to do other things, however, they leave you to go there on their own. You'd be able to find them again when you go there, but perhaps things have played out differently than if you had gone there earlier.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by geala
Except in BG3, there is nothing more important to our companions than our current main quest: deal with the tadpoles. Except for maybe Gale's bomb, but he tells us about that and requires we bring him items, and therefore isn't going off on his own to deal with it. So it doesn't really make sense that the companions aren't putting 100% of their effort into solving the tadpole issue.

I think it'd be interesting if, when you don't make quick enough progress in reaching each companion's preferred method of solving the tadpole (e.g., going to the Gith Creche for Lae'zel), the companions become dissatisfied with you. First they have a talk with you imploring and then demanding that you go there next. If you continue to do other things, however, they leave you to go there on their own. You'd be able to find them again when you go there, but perhaps things have played out differently than if you had gone there earlier.

Exactly. What doesn't make sense to me is that any of them are willing to sit at your camp and do nothing. They all have a vested interest in the main quest, and a few of them have a vested interest in side quests.

Lae'zel is the perfect example. She wants to get to the creche and she makes it quite plain constantly by nagging you that you aren't getting there fast enough. So why would she even allow me to tell her to sit at camp and wait there? It makes more sense to me that she would tell you where you could go and just how fast if you told her to sit at camp and do nothing.

Wyll is another perfect example. He pretty much hounds you right away, urging you to go to the goblin camp. So why would he be okay with you telling him to just sit at camp and do nothing?

Astarion is really hoping to find out more about the tadpoles so he can learn their secrets and control them. So why would he be okay with anyone telling him to sit at camp and do nothing when the best chance of finding out more secrets about the tadpoles is to go with you?

Gale has a bomb and he would be worried that you might withhold artifacts from him. So why would he want to sit at camp and do nothing? He'd want to make sure that if you find artifacts that he has to say in maybe acquiring them for himself.

Even Shadowheart expresses a desire to explore the area to see if she can find out more about the conflict between her people and her enemies, the Selunites.

So, to me, it really makes no sense that any of them would be okay with you telling them to sit at camp and do nothing. if anything, them being okay with it is more like them kissing your bum and just doing what they're told

stranger
stranger
It also makes loss of companion insignificant.
Oh, my companion disagreed with my actions greatly and left the party!
Yes, that one whom I never used and who had 3 dialogs with me so far... such a tragedy! Don't know how I will continue playing without him! laugh

veteran
veteran
They've also said, I believe, that there will be custom character mercenaries in the game. Um... Why? If you only have a party of 4, there's no room for custom characters and origin.

veteran
veteran
Bcs you dont have to take even 1 of them with you ... duh.

Or they can die ... even more duh. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 04/04/22 06:30 AM.

“If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And if you got caught you didn’t try hard enough!”
veteran
veteran
My point was that you already feel the sting of a small party with the origin characters. You'll feel it a WHOLE lot more with custom mercenaries added to the game.

Like I've said about multiplayer, so it will be with custom characters mercenaries. The more non-origin you have, the more punished you are because you can't even trigger many origin story events - or you need to switch out companions constantly to do so.

Party of 4 customs means 0 opportunity for origin story quests like Lae'zel and the Gith creche, Wyll and Spike or Shadowheart and the Selunites/Sharran war. If you had party of 6, you at least have 2 party member slots to put origin characters in. Now, you can still have story quests.

At least with mercenaries I would hope you could Leave At Camp. You can't do that with 4 player multiplayer. You play 4 players and you completely lock out all opportunities for origin story quests.

And again, Party of 6 allows them to take present encounters and balance them more appropriately with 5e rules. They wouldn't need to nerf monsters as much. 3 intellect devourers are much more fight able with party of 4 customs and Shadowheart even at level 1 than they are with just Shadowheart and the MC. Also, 3 REAL 5e imps are much more doable with party of 4 + Lae'zel than just Lae'zel and MC.

And finally, I've asked you before, Ragnarok, to be respectful. Your comments are not. Please refrain from "duh" - like nonsense that does not provide any constructive use at all. It's insulting and unnecessary. I do not appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited by GM4Him; 04/04/22 07:16 AM.
veteran
veteran
I dont believe mercenaries are suppose to add to origin characters ... they are suppose to replace them.

Party of 6 could be usefull in many ways ...

But mercenaries are not good argument for it, as far as i know, if you would have party of 6 ... there is litteraly nothing forbiding you to make 6 custom characters, instead of 4 ...
And (speaking about single player, obviously) you are just where you are now. :-/

In the end there is nothing disrespectful, or insulting about mentioning that some thing is obvious ... if you find such statement as personal attack, i believe you have problem. :-/

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Bcs you dont have to take even 1 of them with you ... duh.

Or they can die ... even more duh. :-/

Let's get this part out of the way.

Respectful= "Bcs you dont have to take even 1 of them with you."

Respectful= "Or they can die."

Disrespectful= "Duh.". This is the same thing as saying to someone, "You're an idiot and a moron. The statement you made is absolutely idiotic. Why are you even speaking or presenting ideas, Neanderthal."

Disrespectful= "even more duh.". This emphasizes that you think the person's idea is even more stupid and moronic. So, you took the first "duh" and multiplied it 10 times, making it that much more insulting.

Would you talk to your mama that way - or your boss? If you thought their ideas were maybe a bit silly or wrong, would you be so disrespectful? If so, then that explains a lot.

My mama would have slapped my face off if I said something like that to her. I did once. Yeah. I just said, "duh" and nearly got my butt whooped. I can't imagine if I said, "even more duh."

Page 86 of 97 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 96 97

Moderated by  Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard