Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#810637 02/03/22 09:16 PM
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I posted in this in general and nor BG3 so moving it here.

I like the game so far EXCEPT the companions who, with the exception of Gale, are awful. Even Gale is egotistical but he's a mage so it's expected.

I like good characters and heroism. I don't want to play with an Evil Cleric (general rule: evil clerics should be killed ASAP), a rogue who's first inclination is to put a knife to my throat (that alone means he will never end up in my party), a warlock who by very definition is a guy that makes deals with the devil, and a githyanki that is more trouble than she is worth cause she fights with everyone.

I literally want none of them in my party. So here are some suggestions:

1. More choices. Make more companions but give us some GOOD and NOBLE heroes.

2. Let me just make up 4 characters and not use yours like in the previous BG games.

3. Make the companions you already have have two alignments/personalities. Let the player decide which should be used.

Right now this is the major thing keeping me from playing more or recommend it to my friends. My gaming group feels the same we don't dig evil characters or dark characters we want Heroes to fight for good and justice.

Right now this game just alienates me.

judoka13 #810645 02/03/22 09:51 PM
veteran
veteran
We shall have more companions in final release ...
Im not quite sure Larian plans to implement them during Early Acess tho.

Custom party and Mercenaries (is that the word?) systems were also allready confrimmed ... for the future ofc.

Curently there is option to get custom party with multiplayer ... i dunno how to call it in english, its not exactly bug, just a way to bypass game mechanisms. laugh

Originally Posted by judoka13
3. Make the companions you already have have two alignments/personalities. Let the player decide which should be used.
Im affraid this would be impossible ...
Those characters we know *so far* are simply tied too tightly to their personality.

---

I would also like to take an advantage of your topic to repeat my big dream of prefferably two Origin characters per class (good and evil) ...
Or at least one ...

And also Non-Origin companions ... wich would be great addition to our party in my honest opinion. :3

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
judoka13 #810647 02/03/22 10:27 PM
addict
addict
I wouldn't say they are evil (sadly...), this lot just really really Larianoying. A comedic mix of cringy, funny egomaniacs.
And your main character being as bland as a zucchini doesn't help.
Not sure I can say "I can't wait for the other two or three companions" cause that's all were getting apparently.

BG2 had 15. Plus an extra dozen amazingly written MOD companions which interacted with the base 15 and story (something that surely will never happen with BG3). Modders use to be able to do that before cinematic dialogues took over most cRPGs. Yea their not as detailed (though I would argue the opposite...) and not cinematic, but however pretty and movie like you can make companions shit in a 10k toilet might feel and look good but is still shit.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 02/03/22 10:42 PM.
judoka13 #810659 03/03/22 03:47 AM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
If they could make a couple of characters that were polite (without chronic potty-mouth) that participated in the conversations without class specific rhetoric...that would be awesome.

Step two: let me choose their class and build them as I see fit....PERFECTION.

In single player, let me hire them someplace and have fun customizing them completely (Race, class, stats, background, ect).

Make one male and one female and give them a backstory that is not race dependent...everyone is happy!

Don't hate me...Solasta got this right (well except for the models). They went for the classic medieval meme and it worked well.

2 origin characters and two very interactive (yet custom characters) for the win.

judoka13 #810660 03/03/22 03:50 AM
veteran
veteran
Can’t wait for the good companions! 😊 Hopefully they add even more companions than they originally planned, including Halsin!!!

judoka13 #810670 03/03/22 06:21 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by judoka13
Right now this is the major thing keeping me from playing more or recommend it to my friends. My gaming group feels the same we don't dig evil characters or dark characters we want Heroes to fight for good and justice.
They released the not good characters first because they wanted people to test the "evil" path during Early Access. You will get your good companions at some point.

Currently you can use the multiplayer trick to make yourself a fully custom party, eventually we should be able to make a proper custom party from the start.

As for the companions having two alignments or personalities, this wouldn't make any sense. Perhaps a corruption or redemption story arc for each, but the personalities are already created and alignment isn't listed on character sheets anyway.

I wish we could have 3 companions of each class to cover a version of good, neutral, and evil for each. They don't have to all be origin characters either, just something that would make it easier for most everyone to find a group they like.

judoka13 #810675 03/03/22 06:52 AM
CMK Offline
I think the point that Larian is trying to drive home is that you don't (and probably won't) like everyone in your party. I am however glad to hear we are getting a few more companion choices. Though I wouldn't call this bunch Evil aligned, Maybe a tad selfish (some more than others). The only truely Evil aligned Character that I can spot is Lae'zel... and even she's not THAT evil.

That said yes a few choices in companions who aren't self centered or more the classic heroic archetype would be refreshing in this game.

CMK #810679 03/03/22 07:35 AM
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by CMK
I think the point that Larian is trying to drive home is that you don't (and probably won't) like everyone in your party.

I truly hope that isn't the case and such a big departure from the originals. Larian sure do make some strange decisions.

I'd just like some down-to-earth companions with a relatable backstory. That is one of the things that might make me reconsider playing the game again (after over a year of not doing so).

judoka13 #810682 03/03/22 07:45 AM
veteran
veteran
Astarion and Lae'zel are clearly evil aligned. Gale and Wyll neutral and Shadowheart is a special case. As a cleric of Shar she should be evil, but she approves of good deeds, is happy when we save the tieflings and likes it, when we are nice to animals. I'm pretty sure during her storyarc she will change alignment to good.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
CMK #810685 03/03/22 08:24 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
including Halsin!!!
celebrate

Originally Posted by Zarna
I wish we could have 3 companions of each class to cover a version of good, neutral, and evil for each. They don't have to all be origin characters either, just something that would make it easier for most everyone to find a group they like.
I believe that Good and Evil per class shpuld be concidered minimum ...
Neutrals would be welcomed but im not sure we need them ... mercenaries can do their work just fine.

Originally Posted by CMK
Though I wouldn't call this bunch Evil aligned, Maybe a tad selfish (some more than others). The only truely Evil aligned Character that I can spot is Lae'zel... and even she's not THAT evil.
Have you wver talked to Ass-tarion?

fylimar #810688 03/03/22 08:46 AM
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by fylimar
I'm pretty sure during her storyarc she will change alignment to good.

I can see that coming from a mile away and it’s so clichéd.

judoka13 #810692 03/03/22 09:19 AM
veteran
veteran
One can only hope we shall get some coruption arcs aswell ...

It would be great to encpurage Wyll for example to embrace his selfish smug and arogant self.

RagnarokCzD #810696 03/03/22 10:55 AM
CMK Offline
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by CMK
Though I wouldn't call this bunch Evil aligned, Maybe a tad selfish (some more than others). The only truely Evil aligned Character that I can spot is Lae'zel... and even she's not THAT evil.

That's just it he's a pompous ass and selfish, but I wouldn't call him evil... evilish? I mean does being a selfish ass make him evil? His world view is definitely out of whack. I guess I am used to evil aligned characters being a bit MORE evil than simply being a totally selfish pricks, the only REAL sign I have seen that Astarion is evil is he seems to be keen to keep the power the parasite has granted him, but I can't blame him... He's an abuse victim getting a taste of power... the real question becomes what will he do with said power?

judoka13 #810699 03/03/22 12:21 PM
veteran
veteran
Oh not at all ...
But all those appreciation of cruelity, abusing others, torture and killig ... those do. laugh

I mean dont get me wrong here, i believe all (corectly written) Elves would eventualy become quite ignorant about "short lived races" ...
And since he is imortal, i believe Human lives lost even that tiny bit of value they might still have in his eyes. laugh
But still ...

CMK #810723 03/03/22 05:20 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by CMK
Originally Posted by CMK

That's just it he's a pompous ass and selfish, but I wouldn't call him evil... evilish? I mean does being a selfish ass make him evil? His world view is definitely out of whack. I guess I am used to evil aligned characters being a bit MORE evil than simply being a totally selfish pricks, the only REAL sign I have seen that Astarion is evil is he seems to be keen to keep the power the parasite has granted him, but I can't blame him... He's an abuse victim getting a taste of power... the real question becomes what will he do with said power?

He is a Vampire spawn so he doesn't really have a choice in the matter. He is evil because of his nature.

williams85 #810724 03/03/22 05:47 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by williams85
Originally Posted by CMK
Originally Posted by CMK

He is a Vampire spawn so he doesn't really have a choice in the matter. He is evil because of his nature.

Ah, but is he? Is he REALLY? What vampire spawn traits does he REALLY have? Running water hurts. He can bite ONCE per day and drain some health. Oh, and he has no reflection.

He can't spider climb, he bleeds to death, he can walk around by day, he can enter homes, he can't regenerate...

Yeah. Not sure he's truly a vampire spawn who "doesn't really have a choice in the matter."

He's more like a dhampir now.

Last edited by GM4Him; 03/03/22 05:48 PM.
GM4Him #810726 03/03/22 05:56 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
He can bite ONCE per day and drain some health.
I believe it is per short rest. wink

RagnarokCzD #810729 03/03/22 06:27 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
He can bite ONCE per day and drain some health.
I believe it is per short rest. wink

Lol. Ok. Still. Vampire spawn's primary attack is now once a short rest.

judoka13 #810732 03/03/22 07:05 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Ahh… Companions. I will say 3 designs that are ok if you ask me.
1. If your main character is “face of the team” that only he interacts to NPC and dialog choices then you are like need to create Charisma based class. So rest of companions you should need are: One good and one evil tank role (example: Evil barbarian and good fighter), one good and one evil healer role (example: Evil druid and good cleric) and neutral scout role (example: rogue or ranger)
2. If your main character is not main but instead he is just another party member then you should need to have enough companions that can fit all 4 roles and that you can create full evil or good party.
3. Or like they did in Divinity Original Sin 2. Any companion can be any class and you can set his stats as you fit. Companions don’t have alignment, they follow you and you can play as you want (good, evil, neutral, chaotic, lawful etc.). They only care about theirs personal quest.
I don’t like there stats, number of them so have struggle how to set up my party and I would like to see companion alignment so if he is for example evil if I do good deeds that he don’t leave a party.

judoka13 #810742 03/03/22 08:33 PM
L
addict
addict
L
We could definitely use some more companions. Alignment-wise I think the current spread is OK, but I fear once we get the remaining three origins characters party composition is going to comparatively feel a tad rigid for evil players-while Wyll, Gale, and Shadowheart+ the three 'good' origin characters I can see working just fine for players playing through the game as heroic good guys, or even just a sort of mercenary 'neutral' playthrough- but for evil players really only see Three options long-term. That's the player character+Lae'zel, Asterion, & Shadowheart. There's zero flexibility there. If you are playing one of the evil origin's characters, you might not even have enough appropriate npcs to fill out a party.

So while I think the game would really benefit from more companions, and there are a number of npcs who seem like they could fit the bill (Halsin, Alfira, Barcus, etc), it really needs some more recruitable evil party members. Minthara Seems like the obvious #1 candidate, but who else? Sazza? Abdirak?

It would also be neat to see some good/evil choices for certain classes. Shadowheart has cleric covered seemingly for both good and evil players, (though it would be nice to have more than one cleric option) but the only rogue and fighter is pretty evil, and there's only a singular option for an arcane spellcaster at the moment. In BG I+II there was plenty of options for you to use for the core classes for your party composition, so you never really felt forced to use a character you didn't like because they were the only option for that role. BG III so far feels restricted in that regard even with the reduced party size compared to the Infinity Engine games. Even if they only become available in Act II, it would be really, really nice if Larian gave us some more options to build out our parties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard