Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32
veteran
veteran
Putting this here too.

All I'm saying in that regard is that was my experience. The random encounters and forcing me to backtrack painstakingly to Long Rest did absolutely nothing to stop me from Long Resting. It just made the game more annoying. Likewise, I'm afraid that it'd do the same exact thing with BG3. People will still backtrack and still Long Rest whether you have Random Encounters up the wazoo or whether you force people to backtrack without Fast Travel. I would, to be quite honest. If I'm going after the Hag, for example, and I'm half dead, I'm not going to continue on to fight the hag. I'm going to backtrack as far as I have to in order to rest safely. Then I'll go after the hag because, practically speaking, the hag is one of the toughest fights in EA. Beating her without a full health/spell slot arsenal is suicide unless you use gimmicks.

I'm just saying, we need something different to manage this, and that's, again, why I think promoting Short Rest usage and making it far more appealing, rather than restricting Long Rest more, would cause players to naturally use Short Rest more and Long Rest less.

That said, I just tested out the Camping Supplies that you get from the start of the game. By the Gods! They could make each Short Rest 5 Camping Supplies per HP restored and Long Rest 10 times Character Levels at Camp and you'd still have enough Camping Supplies to Short Rest a thousand times and Long Rest at least a dozen (not literally).

I counted 325-ish Camping Supply Points by the time I reached the Dank Crypt (after getting past Gimblebock and crew.) I Short Rested once and healed 10 HP between Shadowheart and my Wizard. I spent 1 Spell Slot. 325! That's insane.

That said, 200 of those are from a Camping Supply pack that comes with each character to start with. That's gotta go. That's too much. That's 40 each character, and including your own, there are 5 characters prior to the grove. You don't need that. Take those away, because it doesn't make sense to start with food after you've just escaped with practically nothing from a crashing nautiloid, and you still find 125 Camping Supplies amidst fish, fruit, etc. That's plenty for low level using the Camping Supplies Cost I was drumming up.

I short rested and it would have cost me only 10 Camping Supplies (using what I suggested). That's still 115 Camping Supplies should I feel the need to Long Rest. Even with all 5 characters at level 2, that's only 50 Camping Supplies to Long Rest. So, I could Short Rest twice in total AND Long Rest twice by the time we reach the Dank Crypt. Not sure you need more than that, for crying out loud, even if you totally suck at the game.

BUT, that said, even IF they still give players that much food, knowing that it costs 50 Camping Supplies per Long Rest for a camp full of 5 level 2 characters, chances are, players are going to say, "Hmmm. I don't want to do this too much. Maybe I should use a Short Rest instead. You never know how much food I'll find later."

So, I think it'd work. I'm going to continue to play the game and drop different food items every time I Short Rest to continue to see how many Camping Supplies I would spend if I Short Rest using the 1 Camping Supply per HP healed suggestion.

And then, I'm going to drop extra Camping Supplies when I Long Rest, based on the suggestion, to see how that works in the long run.

And I'm going to drop all the Camping Supply Packs. 40 Camping Supplies per is over the top. Maybe on Easy Mode, that would be good, but not on Normal or harder. With that much food, what's the freaking point of Camping Supplies at all?

S
S
I think for at least the beginning of Act 1, it’s ok for there to be some long rest abuse. People are still learning the game, plus you have so few hit points and spell slots.

I think if travel to camp was limited to only being accessible from a waypoint, you could have scenarios like falling into the Underdark where you literally can’t long rest until you find a waypoint down there, which I think would work well. And if you’re in really bad shape when you’re down there, you would need to rely on mechanics like stealth to try and avoid combat in order to find the waypoint, which adds an interesting dynamic. Sure that wouldn’t affect the first part of the game much, but hopefully as the game progresses, there would be more instances where you can’t just backtrack to camp.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
I think if travel to camp was limited to only being accessible from a waypoint, you could have scenarios like falling into the Underdark where you literally can’t long rest until you find a waypoint down there, which I think would work well. And if you’re in really bad shape when you’re down there, you would need to rely on mechanics like stealth to try and avoid combat in order to find the waypoint, which adds an interesting dynamic. Sure that wouldn’t affect the first part of the game much, but hopefully as the game progresses, there would be more instances where you can’t just backtrack to camp.
Agreed. The Underdark should be a scary, stressful place to explore. Especially if you're unprepared. Having to find a waypoint or a dedicated camp site or have very limited rations would all improve the atmosphere imo.

veteran
veteran
I go back and forth, personally. There are SO many areas that would make perfect Short Rest spots and so many Long Rest spots. As I'm replaying, I pass areas where I think, "That would be a perfect Short Rest spot. Why not make it one?

Like the benches outside the crypt. Good Short Rest spot. Makes sense. When you go through the front door of the crypt. Good Long Rest spot. Fireplace and all. The game even suggests a long rest there with tool tips.

BUT you shouldn't be able to Long Rest there until AFTER you beat the mercs and clear the place. Then it opens up for Long Rest.

But, problem is, locations alone don't limit nothing. It's just annoying to many to have to backtrack to them instead of hit a button and magically teleport there. If there is 0 chance of threat, why make players jog to specific locations, and, again, no limits at all. Any time you want, you can just backtrack and rest.

And the. There's the fact that they already built these mini-camps. Should they just chuck them? Seems like such a waste for something that really doesn't impact the game much.

But I like the idea of actually using locations on the map. I feel like benches and bedrolls and campsites on the map are boring and wasted. I pass them by and think, "Why did they bother letting me click on bedrolls? What's the point of that? What a waste."

veteran
veteran
Yeah. This is working real well.

1. Allow unlimited Short Rests.
2. Short Rest Cost 1 Camping Supply per Point of HP healed during rest.
3. Each player chooses Camp Supplies they wish to spend per Short Rest, so they don't have to heal to full. Minimum 1 Camping Supply per Short Rest per character.
4. Arcane Recovery only able to be used during Short Rest, and reminder to use it would be nice.
5. Long Rest Cost 5 Camping Supplies per Character Level at camp (extras like Volo don't count).
6. Dialogues tied to Short AND Long Rests, and characters transported to camp when Short Rest also for dialogues and to show you ain't just healing somehow on the fly. You are pausing your adventure to rest.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GM4Him
2. Short Rest Cost 1 Camping Supply per Point of HP healed during rest.
These 2 combined will basically make it a full circle and bring us back to when pig heads were used for healing during combat. Well, almost.

Besides, I don't think it will work well in end game. If I'm a level 10 fighter missing 60 hp, does it mean that I'll have to drink 10 bottles of wine within 1 hour to fully heal myself?

veteran
veteran
Short Rest Cost 1 Camping Supply per Point of HP healed during rest.
+1 to idea ...
- bzillion to formula ...

1 suply per HP is simply too much. :-/
Either fix value ... or fix value per person should be enough.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Short Rest Cost 1 Camping Supply per Point of HP healed during rest.
+1 to idea ...
- bzillion to formula ...

1 suply per HP is simply too much. :-/
Either fix value ... or fix value per person should be enough.

Hmm. I suppose at later levels you could have situations where Short Rest is more expensive than Long.

Fine, back to something similar to what I originally had.

Short Rest = 2 Camp Supplies per character level in party (not in camp)

So, at camp you have MC and 5 origin characters. But, you only have MC and 3 origin characters in party. Level 4 = 16 character levels, so each short rest is 32 camping supplies. Meanwhile, Long Rest would be 120 because 6 level 4 characters at camp is 24 character levels x 5 camping supplies per character level.

Thus, 4 short rests would roughly = 1 long

That would still work in the early game because levels are low. You and SH at level 2 would only be 8 supplies per short rest, 20 per long. You, SH, A, G and L would be 24 per short at level 3 (party of 4) and 75 per long (camp of 5).

Last edited by GM4Him; 04/03/22 12:57 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, no. That won't work. The reason I based it on HP is because if I only need 5 HP per character, 20 camp supplies. Done. However, base it on a flat rate and it could cost you 40 camp supplies at level 5 for the same thing.

But, I can see that the cost I came up with could go in reverse. If 4 characters need 30 HP restored each, that's 120 supplies. Pretty hefty.

Hmmm.

Wait. I know. Gosh! Why didn't anyone think of this before? They could limit Short Rests with Hit Dice. Ah! What a concept! Each character gets 1 Hit Dice per character level per long rest. Every time they Short Rest, they can spend as many as they want to heal. Once they've used up their Hit Dice, that's it. They don't heal anymore per Short Rest. You could still Short Rest to recover abilities, but not HP. No Camp Supplies Cost. Only Long Rest.

So, to summarize:

2. Short Rest allows Hit Dice use. Once Hit Dice are gone, no HP recovery per rest.
3. Arcane Recovery only able to be used during Short Rest, and reminder to use it would be nice.
4. Long Rest Cost 5 Camping Supplies per Character Level at camp (extras like Volo don't count).
5. Dialogues tied to Short AND Long Rests, and characters transported to camp when Short Rest also for dialogues and to show you ain't just healing somehow on the fly. You are pausing your adventure to rest.

Ah. So much simpler.

veteran
veteran
Yup ... that sounds like concept worthy of thinking.

//Edit: I mean 1-3 laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 04/03/22 02:10 PM.

veteran
veteran
Ugh! But... Upon further FURTHER reflection, at level 10, each party member at camp would cost a whopping 50 Camping Supplies per Long Rest. What if we have 10 at camp to choose from? 500 supplies per Long Rest? Even 4 at camp would be 200. That's pretty steep. How many carrots and other small food items would we need to keep around just to rest? That's a lot of food management.

Sigh!

veteran
veteran
Why do # of camping supplies need to increase at higher levels? High level characters still eat the same amount of food as low-level characters.

If it's to balance the fact that high level characters have vastly more wealth and you're trying to keep rations at a similar fraction of total party wealth in order to limit long resting...well that's just an indicator that limiting rests solely by food (that you can freely purchase from merchants) doesn't work. Especially when you can just "send food to camp" and thus don't have to worry about its weight.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Hmmm. The Random Encounters interrupting my resting happened to me a LOT, especially in Icewind Dale. Sometimes, I remember triggering a random encounter 3-6 times before finally getting a chance to rest. Each time, I slaughtered them easily enough with very little issues. So what good did it do? Nothing but annoy me. "Another random encounter?" I'd ask myself, and then painstakingly fight through it.

That said, I do agree that if Random Encounters were done well, it would enhance the game and it could be used for Long Rest discouragement in certain locations like the Hag's Lair. However, I fear that it won't be done well. Then we'll be stuck with annoying mob fights that mean very little because people will still spam Long Rests.

What's the problem if people spam long rest if you can avoid it BUT still have to manage a bit your ressources ?
Is that a problem in BG1/2 (or IWD) that you can rest everywhere ? I don't think so.

Well done or not is just a matter a numbers. I guess it's also not hard to tell the game "if you already have a random encounter during your attempt to rest, you cannot have another one right after".

Unlimited short rests would mean unlimited spellslots/day for a warlock.
On top of that, players would probably miss a lot of camps events. I really don't understand how it could be a solution, even if I totally support your suggestion to make supplies necessary for short rests too (at the moment food supply is only an "inventory management mechanic" and nothing more interresting).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Why do # of camping supplies need to increase at higher levels? High level characters still eat the same amount of food as low-level characters.
I believe this intention was confrimmed by Swen.

veteran
veteran
Let's face it, players don't Long Rest unless they feel it is necessary or there is very little incentive to Short Rest instead. If I can Long Rest and regain full health and abilities and spell slots, and it is cheap and easy to do because I get 300+ food supplies before I reach the Grove, and it only costs 40 to Long Rest, why the heck should I Short Rest? What's the benefit of Short Resting at all? Nothing. Nothing at all.

That's my whole point here. We need to make Short Rests worth something so much more than they are currently. They have to have greater value and incentive.

Warlocks, later in the game, still get very few spell slots at a time. They don't even get a 3rd until Level 11. The point of Short Rest = Spell Slot Restore for Warlocks is to provide them with the ability to reset their very limited Spell Slots more frequently than a Wizard or Sorcerer. This gives value to the fact that they reset at Short Rests and not Long, like other classes.

So, Wyll is at Level 8 and casts 2 spells during a battle. It's an epic battle. Wyll is out of spells. Unlike the wizard who could do a lot more spells at Level 10 during a single combat, Wyll is limited by the fact that he only gets 2 Spell Slots per Short Rest. It's HUGELY limiting for a Warlock.

So, let's say Wyll only gets 2 Short Rests period per Long Rest. At the most, that's 6 Spell Slots per Long Rest. 6. That's it. Fighter's Action Surge and Second Wind, which are extremely basic abilities that set them apart from other classes? They can only do each of those 3 times per Long Rest with a 2 Short Rest limitation. 3 times. That's it.

So, compared to other classes like Wizard who can later get so many spell slots per Long Rest and deal much more impactful damage levels, 2 Short Rests only per Long Rest will cripple some of these other classes.

Besides that, the point of more Short Rests is that players will naturally do more Short Rests per day if they can do so without some sort of limitation like only 2 a day. Thus, they will Long Rest less and actually go longer per day than with the current 2 Short Rest limitation. AND if they know ahead of time that Dialogues will be linked to Short or Long Rests, not just Long, and you go to camp when you Short Rest also, then they won't miss out on dialogues and camp events because they'll be going there more frequently to Short Rest. Thus, less likely to miss an event because you are resting more frequently.

As it stands, even in my first playthrough, I tried hard to Long Rest as little as possible because the story is like, "You're gonna turn into a tadpole eventually. The more you Long Rest, the sooner that might happen." So, I was trying hard to not Long Rest. But, with Short Rest limited to 2, that makes NOT Long Resting frequently very difficult. At least with unlimited Short Rests I know I can Short Rest instead and continue on with a single adventuring day for a lot longer.

Now, that said, SOME sort of limitation has to be given to Short Rests or Fighters will ALWAYS use Second Wind and Short Rest and Second Wind and Short Rest until they are fully healed. Thus, it would be broken to not have ANY cost at all to Short Rest.

So fine. Maybe Food Items isn't the best solution. As stated above, Food Management would eventually become astronomically boring and tedious with higher levels of food requirements when you get to higher levels. 200 Camping Supplies would require chests full of random foods like carrots, pies, apples, cucumbers, etc. and would require you to be constantly picking up food and junk throughout the game just so you can ensure that you'll have a Long/Short Rest or two when you need them. That would get REALLY annoying as the numbers increase. As it is, I find gathering all this food hugely un-fun. I mean, maybe at first I liked it, but after awhile of gathering tons and tons of it, you start to feel like, "Geez! I'm REALLY collecting a storehouse of food here. Do I even really need it?"

And the answer is, "No." By mid-EA, you really don't need to collect food anymore, especially with Goodberry and such. So, why? It's true. No matter how much I try to use this system, it just doesn't work.

So, that's why I'm going back to 5e. Hit Dice. It makes the most sense to me and is the simplest. Just implement a Hit Dice system and once your Hit Dice run out for each particular character, that character no longer benefits from a Short Rest.

Fighter at 6th level gets 6 Hit Dice. They could take one Short Rest and use all 6 Hit Dice to recover. They get their abilities back; Action Surge, Second Wind and Superiority Dice. After that, all Hit Dice are used up. If the party Short Rests again, Fighter doesn't get back HP or Action Surge or Second Wind or nothing. Best to manage those Hit Dice better. But, if they only use 1 Hit Dice per Short Rest, the could benefit from 6 Short Rests per Long Rest.

Same with Warlock. Spell Slots restored per Short Rest. 6 Hit Dice. Use them all up at once and that's it. Warlock's done. You traded Spell Slots, basically, for maybe much needed HP. Maybe it was better to use potions to heal up some of that and only use 1 or 2 Hit Dice instead.

As for Long Resting, that's still something I'm trying to figure out a good solution to, but I think a good start is to change the Short Rest system so players will WANT to Short Rest more and Long Rest less. If they know they can heal, gain a lot of abilities back, etc. by short resting, and the only real benefits are for wizards and clerics when it comes to Long Rest, I would think they'd be more inclined to Short Rest. BUT, that's only if there is some sort of Long Rest Cost that makes Short Rest more appealing. That's what I'm trying to figure out here. What should the Long Rest Cost be so that players will say, "Hmmm. Short Rest is much less costly and is still rather effective. I think I'll do that more and Long Rest less."

Then they will actually go a lot longer per game day than they do currently because they can continue to heal and restore abilities without a Long Rest.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I believe this intention was confrimmed by Swen.
Okay, but my question stands. Why do # of supplies need to increase?

A.) If players can buy food from merchants, and the idea is that players expend a similar fraction of their total wealth on camp supplies... A level 10 5e character should have like 100x or more wealth than a level 1-2 character -> so unless level 10 characters in BG3 require ~100x more rations to long rest then this won't actually be a limitation. And if they do require 100x more food, that's unreasonable and dumb.

B). If players cannot buy food from merchants - the only food you get is through exploration - then Larian can just tune the amount of food available in the world. No need for higher level characters to need to eat more, just have there be less food available.

Phrased as feedback instead of a question: if Larian wants to use food as a way to limit long resting, simply increasing the # of food units required to long rest is at best useless and at worst incredibly tedious and unimmersive.

veteran
veteran
Okay, but my question stands. Why do # of supplies need to increase?
Dunno ...
Maybe the stronger our character gets, the harder task is s/he able to finish ... and the more nourishment s/he require, to refill all that energy. smile

veteran
veteran
Let's face it, players don't Long Rest unless they feel it is necessary
If that would be true ... this topic would not exists. laugh

veteran
veteran
This is long, so here's the Summary of it with a deeper explanation after:

1. Allow unlimited Short Rests. To Short Rest, you must Fast Travel to Camp and click on a bedroll.
2. Short Rest allows Hit Dice use. Once Hit Dice are gone, no HP recovery per rest.
3. Abilities and Warlock Spell Slots, etc. are ONLY reset IF at least 1 Hit Die is used during a Short Rest for each character (meaning, if Lae'zel uses a Hit Die, her abilities are reset, but if Wyll doesn't, his spell slots are not reset). Didn't use a Hit Die? No ability or spell slot reset.
4. Arcane Recovery only able to be used during Short Rest, and reminder to use it would be nice.
5. Dialogues tied to Short AND Long Rests, and characters transported to camp when Short Rest also for dialogues and to show you ain't just healing somehow on the fly. You are pausing your adventure to rest.
6. Long Rest Locations must be unlocked.
7. Restrict Fast Travel until a Waypoint is at least found.
8. Get rid of camping supplies altogether, and food, and drink and everything having to do with Camping Supplies.
9. Time-Sensitive Consequences.
10. Auto-Save occurs just before a Time-Sensitive Encounter occurs so you can always reload to that Auto-Save if you didn't mean to trigger the Encounter. A Warning notifies you that you are about to trigger a Time-Sensitive Encounter, so you know that if you care, you'd better do it now. If you don't care, ignore it and move on or turn back. Plain and simple.
11. The game should warn you if you try to rest and it's restricted with a "Are you sure you want to Long (or Short, as the case may be - like with Waukeen's Rest) Rest here? This will end the Time-Sensitive Encounter and may have negative consequences."
12. Unlimited Long Rests when it is not a Time-Sensitive Encounter.

OK. I know I'm all over the place, back and forth and all, but I'm just trying to work through this.

I can't help but agree that Food is useless. It's a terrible way to limit Short or Long Rests. It seems to keep coming back to this. For Short Rests, either the cost is too steep or not steep enough to stop Fighters from spamming Short Rest and Second Wind and healing to full each and every fight. Likewise, there's nothing preventing Warlocks from spamming Short Rest to recover infinite spell slots.

The same is true for Long Rests. Either the costs are too high or not high enough to prevent Long Rest spamming, and if you go with the "Higher Levels Require More Camping Supplies" thing, you'll have to keep track of so much food and crap that it'll be overwhelming your stores at camp. Or, as mentioned by Fuji, you'll later have so much gold that you can just buy an infinite amount of food and never have to worry about it.

So, again, why not Long Rest after every fight instead of Short Rest? If you can afford to buy 5,000 Camping Supplies and store them at camp, it wouldn't matter how much it costs. AND, if there are no other repercussions, like the Hag kills Mayrina, or the counselor dies by being burned up in Waukeen's Rest, or the druids finish their ritual and kick everybody out, then why bother with Short Rests at all? If I can just spam Long Rest without consequences, why Short Rest at all?

So, here's another potential solution for Long Rest (the longer version of what I summarized above (cutting out things that are simply repeated):

6. Long Rest Locations must be unlocked. In other words, you can't Long Rest from the Beach all the way to the first Long Rest Location, which would be either the Druid Grove or the Dank Crypt AFTER the mercenaries are cleared out of it completely.
7. Restrict Fast Travel until a Waypoint is at least found. So, fall into the Underdark with no way back up? You can't Fast Travel or Long Rest anymore until you find a Waypoint in the Underdark. (This one just makes sense, and I did like this suggestion. This is honestly what I'd do as a DM in a tabletop session anyway.)
8. Get rid of camping supplies altogether, and food, and drink and everything. It just clutters up inventories and has no real purpose or use. I've tried to come up with a solution to use it for something, but there just isn't. You can't limit/restrict Long/Short Resting with it because of the above reasoning, so just get rid of it. AND, it doesn't make sense that if you are higher level you require more food and drink. You're becoming tougher as you level up, needing LESS to sustain you and so forth. You're able to endure MORE hardships with less resources. It shouldn't make it so that you have to work even harder and manage even more food as you are becoming more skilled and strong. So MORE food for higher levels doesn't make sense, and ultimately, it's just true that food doesn't restrict at all if you can buy endless amounts of it, or find endless amounts in the game. It is literally ONLY causing more item management clutter. AND, it doesn't make sense to eat like 4 pig heads and 10 bottles of wine in one night - or whatever it might be, as someone else mentioned. No. It's just not good no matter how much I try to make it work. Let's cut out the needless items junk in the game that has no real value or purpose.
9. Time-Sensitive Consequences. I keep coming back to this, as do others, because it's the only thing that really makes sense to me when all is said and done. Any DM in their right mind would implement Time-Sensitive Consequences if players didn't do certain events within a time frame that makes sense to the DM. If the players insist on resting during an encounter that should require some sort of time sensitivity, the DM would have SOMETHING happen, even if it's, "Well, sorry. Someone else had to save John because you decided to leave and rest for the night. John's still saved, but it wasn't you who did it. No quest rewards for you." Think about it for a second. What quest in BG3 EA right now is ABSOLUTELY critical to the overall main quest? Any? So, if by not completing something in a certain amount of time the game locks you out of that side mission, AFTER you've triggered the encounter that is, will it Soft Lock you so you can't keep going? No. Not a single quest. Didn't save the grove in time? Oh well. Find another way to get to Moonrise. You don't need Halsin or any of them to keep going. Didn't save anyone at Waukeen's Rest or even trigger that encounter? Not gonna stop your primary quest to find a healer, is it? So why not provide Time-Sensitive Consequences to certain encounters? (See examples below.)
10. Auto-Save occurs just before a Time-Sensitive Encounter occurs so you can always reload to that Auto-Save if you didn't mean to trigger the Encounter. A Warning notifies you that you are about to trigger a Time-Sensitive Encounter, so you know that if you care, you'd better be conscious of time. If you don't care, ignore it and move on or turn back. Plain and simple.
11. And, of course, the game should warn you if you try to rest and it's restricted with a "Are you sure you want to Long (or Short, as the case may be - like with Waukeen's Rest) Rest here? This will end the Time-Sensitive Encounter and may have negative consequences."
12. Unlimited Long Rests when it is not a Time-Sensitive Encounter. Who cares how many days you take when there is nothing Time-Sensitive happening?

Examples:
Example: After you reach the Underdark, who cares how much time it takes for you to get to Grymforge, or whatever? Until you discover that Nere is trapped, and could die at any moment, take as many days as you want. Nothing is saying you only have X days to get through that area.

Example: Fight the Minotaurs. Long Rest. Fight the Bullette? Long Rest. Hey. If you aren't pressed for time and they've kicked your butts, why WOULDN'T you just take the rest of the day off to recover. If necessity isn't driving you forward, there should be no limit to Long Resting.

Example: You haven't gone to the grove yet. Long Rest as much as you want. Nothing's driving you forward. Once you reach the grove and learn about the Rite of Thorns, NOW the game triggers the Time-Sensitive Encounter, and in your Quest Log, it tells you that you have 7 days to do SOMEthing to stop the Rite. Again, if you don't, is it going to stop you from continuing the game? Nope. Just means you didn't make that quest a priority, did ya? Maybe you should have listened to some of your companions when they kept saying things like, "Are you going to stop for EVERY single person in need?" What's wrong with prioritizing some quests that you KNOW you have to complete in a certain amount of time? Make the timeframe reasonable enough so players aren't scrambling to complete it but give them at least some sort of time limit so they can't just casually go to the Underdark, clear it out, go to Grymforge, clear it out, wander back to the Grove, decide to ignore them still and go to the Gith Patrol and the Toll House, taking two weeks to do it all.

Example: Waukeen's Rest. You approach it. Auto-Save. "You are about to trigger a Time-Sensitive Encounter" pops up. You keep going and see the burning building. You don't care. You move on. You face the Gith. You short rest. Waukeen's Rest is burnt down. The people inside are dead, or someone else saved them. You weren't the hero there, but that's because you ignored it and moved on and then spent an hour to rest.

Example: Hag's Lair. Auto-Save just before entering the Hag's Home. Warning: "You are about to trigger a Time-Sensitive Encounter." You decide to Long Rest first. Day goes by. No big deal. You aren't technically on a set time table here with the Hag.
You can still go into the Hag's Home and do everything with the Hag's Lair. It didn't lock the quest. However, if you entered the Hag's Home before Long Rest, NOW you're Long Rest Restricted. Either reload or keep going. You might be able to Short Rest within her lair, for the DM might consider that acceptable without consequences - because the Hag's willing to wait for you for an hour or two because she's dying to dance on your corpses - but a Long Rest should yield some sort of negative consequences. The Hag got tired of waiting. Mayrina and the Hag are gone... something like that. Time-Sensitive Encounter ended and completed because you Long Rested during a Time-Sensitive Encounter.

veteran
veteran
Ok. Trying this again.

2. Short Rest Cost = 5 Camping Supplies per character needing Short Rest. Party of 4 all needs healing? = 20 camping supplies regardless of level. Party of 2, only 10. Only 3 need healing? 15 supplies. You decide at camp.
3. Arcane Recovery only able to be used during Short Rest, and reminder to use it would be nice.
4. Long Rest Cost 10 Camping Supplies per Character at camp (extras like Volo don't count). MC + 5 Origin = 60 Camping Supplies. So, 3 Short Rests = 1 Long essentially but only if you have all 6 characters in EA. Only you and Shadowheart? 20 per Long.
6. Camping Supply Packs only crafted. Can craft 60 camping supplies into one pack to cut down on camping supplies clutter in inventory. Can also break down packs, using only some of the total supplies from them. Need only 20? Pack is 60? Break down pack. Now it only = 40.
7. No partial short resting. Either you receive full benefits or none. So make sure you have enough supplies.
8. Vendors don't have food to sell. Food in the grove is becoming scarce. No one wants to sell it. Go find or steal food. Food at the grove is ONLY able to be stolen. Either manage your food better, or be forced to steal.
9. Partial Long Rest still allowed like current. Must have at least 30 Supplies to partial Long Rest for half benefits.
10. Limit food you can find so you don't have so much that you can long rest dozens of times without an issue. By the time you reach the grove, maybe 120 is all you can find. As you explore the rest of the surface, maybe another 120 per relative area; Bog, Moonhaven, Goblin Camp, Waukeen's Rest, Toll House. Underdark maybe find altogether 500, or something if you explore everything. Grymforge maybe something like 300.

This would still allow for 3 Short Rests and 1 Long in the game currently by the time you reach the grove, or 2 Long. Then, they could keep limiting how much you find so that you don't wind up with so much that you can spam long rest.

I don't know. Still trying to make it work.

Last edited by GM4Him; 06/03/22 05:38 AM.
Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard