Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#810826 04/03/22 11:36 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
There are a lot of useless things to pick up in the game. Plants, tools, objects like bottle, retort, etc.
Rather than being useless why not develop crafting?
Characters could learn from books, with scrolls, or by talking to craftsmen, consulting private or public libraries or hidden ones. Once the knowledge and materials are acquired, the characters could make, repair or improve all sorts of things. Weapons, potions, traps, ...
Maybe even provide crafting services to NPCs and earn some gold (or secrets)
We can imagine setting up production lines (Coal + iron + forge + tool + know-how = blacksmith work)
Also some actions could be refined. To go down the hole in the chapel, you need a rope. To climb a cliff, you need a rope and a grappling hook.
I'm sure Astarion would have a lot of fun making his own poisons since he's walking around in the sun and can find a lot of plants grin

veteran
veteran
I believe crafting system has allready ben confrimmed as "planned" thing ...
But nothing closer was even told about it.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
-1 to a detailed crafting system that fills our inventories with dozens to hundreds of crafting materials.

Crafting limited cool things as a result of certain quests - like the Sussur Bark Questline - is the best way to go imo.
All other crafting should at most require a specific crafting kit - scroll, poison, trap, etc - a gold cost, and an appropriate skill check (also ability to cast that spell if you're making a scroll).

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
-1 to a detailed crafting system that fills our inventories with dozens to hundreds of crafting materials.

Crafting limited cool things as a result of certain quests - like the Sussur Bark Questline - is the best way to go imo.
All other crafting should at most require a specific crafting kit - scroll, poison, trap, etc - a gold cost, and an appropriate skill check (also ability to cast that spell if you're making a scroll).
Same here. I'm all for "crafting through questing" and I loathe the other ways of doing it (especially in a game that isn't procedural/systemic in nature, like a survival/builder).

Especially because the usual outcomes are that either the crafting system is completely superfluous and redundant, or conversely so are the rare items found in the game while exploring/questing/defeating strong opponents.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Even though I stated my stance on the subject before here is another -1 as a result of playing Elden Ring. Quoting Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation:
Usually when you find stuff in Soulsy games it’s a time for celebration. Ooh, new weapons. Ooh, upgrade stones. Ooh, a small porcelain cat with a mummified finger in its mouth. Don’t know what the fuck this is but maybe I’ll yeet it at a boss and see what happens.

Not so much of that in Elden Ring when half the time it’s just more f-ing crafting materials to add to the six tons of garbage we’re hauling around in our horse’s invisible U-Haul trailer.

That mirrors more or less my personal experience, when I stopped paying attention to what I pick up very quickly because it's worth hording for crafting sake, and crafting ingredients are very not exciting to find.

Last edited by Wormerine; 04/03/22 04:37 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Way back in the day (and I'm old enough to say that) crafting in DnD was possible, but you had to have achieved "name" level (usually around 12) and you had to take time, measured in weeks, to craft something.

I love crafting, but it is almost unnecessary with the Monty Hall of findable stuff.

Also, -1 to carrying shit around.

Joe

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by jfutral
I love crafting [...]

Joe

You know who else does?

....H.P Lovecraft.

Sorry. I will stop >_<

veteran
veteran
I never seen any crafting system that would fill your inventory ...
Have seen a lot of people filling their inventories, for crafting system tho. O_o

But i somehow fail to see how is that systems fault. :-/

veteran
veteran
If they added an herbalist's pouch that 'bag of holding'-ing all the herbs you pick up, I probably wouldn't have carpal tunnel right now...except for the trading interface of course.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I never seen any crafting system that would fill your inventory ...
Have seen a lot of people filling their inventories, for crafting system tho. O_o

But i somehow fail to see how is that systems fault. :-/
I'll try to explain:
1. When a player sees a system implemented in a game the player will most likely try to use it, because said player has no way to determine if it's a major system or a minor one. In other words, if the system is vital for beating the last boss or not.
2. Also unless a game developer will unlock for players all the recipes for every single component at the very start of the game, the player has no way to tell really valuable components that will bring the victory from something they may ignore. And I'm yet to see a game developer that would just unlock all the recipes at the start, after all it would spoil the surprise for some cool stuff.
3. As a result every player that aims to play effectively feels obligated to use the crafting system. And every player that feels obligated to use the crafting system feels obligated to pick up everything just in case that it would be the component for The Master Sword ("The Legend of Zelda" reference here).
4. But none of this means that the player does feel good about it. The system practically introduces grinding mechanics to the game even if you don't need a lot of ingredients for crafting a certain piece of gear.

And yep, my vote stays where it was from the start of the EA: the crafting should be more quest-like than "go pick up some garbage to turn it into gold". There are other means to deal with cluttering with trash-items than making them useful for crafting.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
If they added an herbalist's pouch that 'bag of holding'-ing all the herbs you pick up, I probably wouldn't have carpal tunnel right now...except for the trading interface of course.
+1 that's my prefered way of doing that. Just have those items in seperate, unlimited space, unaffecting you actual inventory.

journeyman
journeyman
I actually would like to see some crafting implemented into BG3. Per the DnD 5e PHB (p. 154), “Your race, class, background, or feats give you proficiency with certain tools.” I think that it would really add to character customization and background for roleplaying if they implemented proficiency in Artisan Tools, Disguise Kit, Herbalism Kit, Poisoner’s Kit, etc. Proficiency with the Herbalism Kit, for example, would allow you to craft antitoxins and potions of healing (PHB p 154). Proficiency with the Poisoner’s Kit would allow you to craft poisons (PHB p 154). There could be some creative uses for proficiency in Disguise Kit, for example allowing you to approach a Merchant in disguise when trying to steal from them so as to not ruin your reputation if you get caught. Proficiency in Cook’s utensils allows you to craft a healing stew. Proficiency in Smith’s tools could be required to mend the broken spear or create the Sussar bark Masterwork weapons.

What I am looking for here is some added flavor that goes along with the DnD 5e guidelines. If you have the Herbalism Kit proficiency either by being a Druid or by choice at character creation, you can enjoy picking up all of those plants scattered around the world and use them in some useful but not game altering way. If you’re not into that, don’t pick that skill at character creation and ignore the plants. Likewise with Smith’s tools, if you have a dwarf or gnome in your party or if you choose that skill at character creation (say a soldier who learned that skill in the army), then you get to repair or upgrade a few cool weapons. Nothing game breaking - I don’t think that I’ve ever even used those weapons - I just carry them around in my inventory.

I do agree that I do not want it to become a huge part of the game. Just some added flavor. Larian went way overboard on these crafting things in DOS2. I don’t want that. But I would like the added character flavor that could be added if implemented in the spirit of the DnD 5e guidelines.

veteran
veteran
^ You can do all of the above without having dozens to hundreds of crafting ingredients strewn across the world and in merchants' inventories that inevitably go into and clutter up my inventory. Literally everything you mentioned can simply require a recipe + tool kit + perhaps equivalent gold cost + perhaps appropriate spell; recipes could be the interesting crafting finds you obtain through exploration/merchants.

+1 billion to @Zellin's explanation; well said.

But if Larian does decide to go with an overly-detailed crafting system, please please at least implement @Sozz's suggestion of a Herbalist+etc crafting pouches that everything automatically goes into. And no, backpacks that I can manually put ingredients into aren't the same, even considering the fact that further ingredients are then placed in those already-existing stacks.

addict
addict
Crafting per D&D rules would be great.

Than again Larian isn't interested in D&D rules. Its salad dressing.

At best we will get DOS2 like crafting. I mean BG3 always starts out with DOS2 systems/code for most elements right?

God what a mess this inventory system and item overloaded game. Hey, just like DOS2.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 05/03/22 01:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Originally Posted by jfutral
I love crafting [...]

Joe

You know who else does?

....H.P Lovecraft.

Sorry. I will stop >_<
😜

veteran
veteran
Every time I play, the useless junk is more annoying. I want to just hit Take All, but then I fill my inventory full of bones, plants, spoons, knives, ink wells, feather pens...

What REALLY could all these be used to craft that would be beneficial?

Recipe for crafting Plate +1
40 spoons
10 metal plates
20 forks
Mushrooms from the Underdark
Chasm Creeper
And some Rum

Is that really gonna be a thing?

Let's just cut out the junk. I don't mind it being in the game, but don't make useless junk loot you can pick up along with gold and other useful items so I can just Take All.

And PLEASE don't make crafting based on all these random items you find.

CMK Offline
I wouldn't mind SOME crafting in the game, but again I am gonna echo what's been said here I don't want it to come down to collecting useless junk and hanging on to it JIC. This isn't an MMO where your bag space is determine by what pack(s) you have equipped. Where an MMO limits you on what you can carry by "bag space) slots, this game instead goes by a weight system and I already have a hard time with it just having to carry the camp supplies, potions/poisons, and extra weapons and armor that I either need
(like making sure I have a hammer or mace for the Mithril for the adamantine forge)
or are of some value and I intend to sell (yes I know I can send shit back to camp, I do that too but at times I don't want to have to play the go to camp come back game when selling shit).

IF there is going to be a crafting system of any type I'd like it to be limited to things of value (like the silver ingots I found, I would love it if there was a forge I could go to to turn it to weapon), or things we already collect (like herbs that are already collected for camp supplies maybe could be reused to make potions and poisons) and have both of these things require either kit (that doesn't weigh much) or stations already in the game
(like the work benches in the tower in the underdark)
, but even then I am not super keen on it. I don't want the grind of getting X amount of item A and X amount of item B to create Item C. First off I get enough of that in MMOs (which I hardly play anymore) second there are not spawn points where resources respawn for us to go back and get MORE of an ingredient.

I also think a crafting system would detract from the flow of the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
I'll try to explain...
Im aware. smile

I just (as usualy) see that as players decision ... not the system. smile
I mean there is no way the game can force you to do anything, they can urge you at best ... everything else is on your head. :P

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Shogun64
There are a lot of useless things to pick up in the game. Plants, tools, objects like bottle, retort, etc.
Rather than being useless why not develop crafting?

DDO has something like that.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Zellin
I'll try to explain...
Im aware. smile

I just (as usualy) see that as players decision ... not the system. smile
I mean there is no way the game can force you to do anything, they can urge you at best ... everything else is on your head. :P
Than you do not really get the 1st paragraph of my explanation. The game forces the player, because the player is supposed to play the game and the game has no way to tell the player in advance something like "this system is here just for flavor, it's not really the part of the game, ignore it if you wish".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard