Next Thread
Print Thread
U
Ulgrym Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
U
Here are some suggestions to help make patch #8 better than this unearthly mess called patch #7. Patch #4 was decent as far as the UI goes, so quit reinventing the wheel, just tweek it for better performance.

Whoever had the bright idea, and going so far as implementing it, of having spells rearrange themselves on the hot-key bar every time you reload the game: Fire them.
Whoever had the bright idea, and going so far as implementing it, of having the hot-key numbers stacked, instead of side-by-side and reducing the hot-key area's size: Fire them.
Whoever had the bright idea, and going so far as implementing it, of making the "mini map" so huge: Fire them.
Whoever had the bright idea, and going so far as implementing it, of changing the character inventory and information pages: Fire them.

There are bodies of water and barrels everywhere. Let us wash that blood off.
For those spell casting classes that have to sacrifice Strength for Wisdom, Intelligence, and / or Charisma, let us have Lae'zel and Shadowheart carry items found again. (Those three brains take up 60 carry weight).
Expand the spell caster classes sub-classes.
Save UI space by reducing the size of character portraits.

I just woke up, so this list is not complete, just what came to mind right now.

stranger
stranger
To be honest, I have a feeling that the user interface issue is more likely to be solved by mods.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Joe Shmoe
To be honest, I have a feeling that the user interface issue is more likely to be solved by mods.
Assuming the clutterbar will be moddable. One can only hope.

addict
addict
I fear that this thread (and thus this post), like most of what we post in this forum in fact, is likely to be thoroughly ignored by Larian. But I'm in a mood for futility right now, so I'll have a go. I'm taking it that the game is "your wishlist for the next changes, patch 8 edition".
If the game is about mocking awards, I have some sure contenders/nominees in mind. In my view, I even know what piece of work should win the award. But I'll focus on the "looking forward" part, and leave the mocking for another day.

So, here's my wishlist.
  • Improvement to the movement UI and systems. Mostly party-movement and that famous Larian chain. But single-character pathfinding is also horrendous, so I'll make this point be about "all things movement".
  • Improvement to the action selection UI. The new hotbar is still a mess. Also, many abilities that add "rider effects" to attacks should not be coded as attacks.
  • Improvement to the combat log. Paired with actually implementing correctly the 5E rules.
  • Work on the ruleset and its balance. While I'm absolutely not interested in testing new classes, I find it jarring that Larian is tweaking the core/common rules of the games, going back and forth, without having a working view of how these will affect the un-implemented classes.

For what it's worth, I also find it worrying that the first class Larian said they worked on post Early Access launch was the Druid. And that they did so because this was the most difficult class. I don't really like the implication that the Bard was probably the easiest, in their view.
  • Following upon the previous point on starting by correctly implementing the rules, before messing with them : revision of the Reaction system.
  • No improvement to the graphics.
  • No new area.
  • No new, gimmicky mechanics.

That list is incomplete, but the short version is : less chrome and attention grabbers, more sound fundamentals.

Originally Posted by RutgerF
Assuming the clutterbar will be moddable. One can only hope.
I hope there will be a range of mods for cosmetics, game modes (e.g. truer 5E rules), and generally player options. But I sure hope there won't be a need for mods for basic playability ... If I bought a car, I could conceive customising it, with a fancy painting, or seat covers, or sound system, but I don't expect to have to go for a customisation in order to have the pedals in the correct position.

L
addict
addict
L
Is anyone else still finding dragging items around your inventory a bit iffy? Sometimes I have to drag something a few times to get it to go into a slot. I feel like I have to do item management slowly and deliberately, aside from double clicking when you’re selling. The game itself runs just fine. I was hoping the new UI would fix it.

CMK Offline
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Is anyone else still finding dragging items around your inventory a bit iffy? Sometimes I have to drag something a few times to get it to go into a slot. I feel like I have to do item management slowly and deliberately, aside from double clicking when you’re selling. The game itself runs just fine. I was hoping the new UI would fix it.
Yes I have this issue from time to time myself

addict
addict
No possible.
Larian be way too busy getting their cinematic dialogues for the game right.

As I mentioned since day 1 of EA this alone will eat up a big chunk of all other development costs and time; which could be used to improve the UI, D&D systems, add more atmosphere, day/night etc etc....

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 08/03/22 10:35 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Of course. It's there from day 1, if I remember correctly. I believe it was discussed before, and people who played DOS2 in its EA phase claimed that the issue was present there, as well, but then Larian eventually turned its attention to optimisation and overall polish, and they dealt with it. Doesn't explain why it's here again, however. Is it because they are using a debug build???

veteran
veteran
Here’s my patch 8 wishlist:
  • Halsin made a companion!
  • Option to have dialogue that starts automatically always go to the pc instead of a companion (unless it relates to a companion quest, etc.)
  • SWTOR-style dialogue for multiplayer
  • Option to toggle off encumbrance
  • Transmog
  • Option to toggle off dirt

veteran
veteran
Unfortunately, community never quite managed to fix D:OS2.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelyn
SWTOR-style dialogue for multiplayer

This, really need something for multiplayer dialog, pretty sad how its setup atm.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
I fear that this thread (and thus this post), like most of what we post in this forum in fact, is likely to be thoroughly ignored by Larian. But I'm in a mood for futility right now, so I'll have a go. I'm taking it that the game is "your wishlist for the next changes, patch 8 edition".
If the game is about mocking awards, I have some sure contenders/nominees in mind. In my view, I even know what piece of work should win the award. But I'll focus on the "looking forward" part, and leave the mocking for another day.

So, here's my wishlist.
  • Improvement to the movement UI and systems. Mostly party-movement and that famous Larian chain. But single-character pathfinding is also horrendous, so I'll make this point be about "all things movement".
  • Improvement to the action selection UI. The new hotbar is still a mess. Also, many abilities that add "rider effects" to attacks should not be coded as attacks.
  • Improvement to the combat log. Paired with actually implementing correctly the 5E rules.
  • Work on the ruleset and its balance. While I'm absolutely not interested in testing new classes, I find it jarring that Larian is tweaking the core/common rules of the games, going back and forth, without having a working view of how these will affect the un-implemented classes.

For what it's worth, I also find it worrying that the first class Larian said they worked on post Early Access launch was the Druid. And that they did so because this was the most difficult class. I don't really like the implication that the Bard was probably the easiest, in their view.
  • Following upon the previous point on starting by correctly implementing the rules, before messing with them : revision of the Reaction system.
  • No improvement to the graphics.
  • No new area.
  • No new, gimmicky mechanics.

That list is incomplete, but the short version is : less chrome and attention grabbers, more sound fundamentals.

A thousand times yes to the above

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
So this finaly de-evolved into yet another wishlist?

Okey, then im going to be modest this time:

Versatile staves.
Adjustable size of hotbar.
Option to lock hotbar.
Monk.

And im happy as flea in a doghouse. ^_^

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/03/22 04:36 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
My wish list is pretty much the same as the last 2 patches.

The School of Enchantment Wizard.
A real Reaction System.
And finally the Shield Spell.
The Paladin.

Fools hope.
I just want a sign of appreciation towards the EA testers and actual communication between Larian and us, answers to the many questions and suggestions,...

Like thats going to happen.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by S2PHANE
I just want a sign of appreciation towards the EA testers [...].
Well, personally, I'm not interested in appreciation. I'll be happy enough is the gameplay becomes significantly less bad. But more importantly, we are not really testers. At least, not Quality Assurance tester. Swen said that Larian has plenty of those, we are not needed for that. At best, we are play-testers, and the only valuable (and supposedly-sought) feedback we can provide is about the experience of playing the game.

Originally Posted by S2PHANE
and actual communication between Larian and us, answers to the many questions and suggestions,...
[...]
Like thats going to happen.

Ah ... yes. The healty relationship with the community that we were told about ...

Link Copied to Clipboard