Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Starting underwear should be based on your background, not race. Silk and lace for the nobility, rags for the urchins.
I disagree. Your background isn't indicative of your character's current financial situation. A level 1 character who started as an urchin starts adventuring with more than enough gold to purchase basic moderate quality underwear.

Giving the player an option to pick the underwear of their choosing will always be better than creating a different system that will determine without their input.

C
Chromax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by fylimar
I don't get the obsession with sexy underwear for characters adventuring and living in the wilds mostly.

There I have to kindly remind you about the script of the game so you could see the justification for wearing sexy lingerie in the wilds.
Your character is a young citizen of a large city and in one beautiful day she was suddenly kidnapped by mind flayers.
Definitely she did not plan any adventure, but she probably planned to spend a good evening on a date or a party.
So, in the morning of an ill-fated day of her kidnapping she put on sexy and provocative lingerie, because she couldn't be aware of impending misfortune.

Also I do not mean that a player necessarily should undress his or her character and run naked in the wilderness, but the mere fact that your heroine wears sexy undies under her mage robe or heavy plate armour is warming and soothing to mind.

Hope I was able to clarify my point.

Last edited by Chromax; 19/02/22 11:25 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Starting underwear should be based on your background, not race. Silk and lace for the nobility, rags for the urchins.
Starting Underwear?
Seems you want to have a cosmetic Underwear Shop in Baldurs Gate City.
Thats something for the modders, or a Love Quest to make sense of it buying the finest Underwear of all the realms. wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheHero
Thats something for the modders, or a Love Quest to make sense of it buying the finest Underwear of all the realms. wink
Maybe you could loot legendary panties out of dead enemies. Minthata’s spider silk thongs. Helsin’s sweaty boxers etc.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Chromax
I don't get the obsession with sexy underwear for characters adventuring and living in the wilds mostly.

There I have to kindly remind you about the script of the game so you could see the justification for wearing sexy lingerie in the wilds.
Your character is a young citizen of a large city and in one beautiful day she was suddenly kidnapped by mind flayers.
Definitely she did not plan any adventure, but she probably planned to spend a good evening on a date or a party.
So, in the morning of an ill-fated day of her kidnapping she put on sexy and provocative lingerie, because she couldn't be aware of impending misfortune.

Also I do not mean that a player necessarily should undress his or her character and run naked in the wilderness, but the mere fact that your heroine wears sexy undies under her mage robe or heavy plate armour is warming and soothing to mind.

Hope I was able to clarify my point.

Nope, this is still ridiculous. People don't run around with sexy underwear during the day and the character is always wearing a practical armor or robe, indicating, that they are indeed dressed for adventuring.
And If you are advocating for sexy underwear, at least do it both gender, otherwise it is indeed sexist and objectifiying.
I mean, not that I think, that you care about it, but speaking as a female gamer, I'm a bit tired of those threads.
By all means, give options, but also give options to not ran around like a sex worker.

Last edited by fylimar; 19/02/22 01:56 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Put some clothes on, people.

C
Chromax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
And If you are advocating for sexy underwear, at least do it both gender, otherwise it is indeed sexist and objectifiying.
I mean, not that I think, that you care about it, but speaking as a female gamer, I'm a bit tired of those threads.
By all means, give options, but also give options to not ran around like a sex worker.

I strongly oppose objectification as you may conclude from my previous posts in this tread. Most of all I am advocating for admiration of human body's beauty as a pinnacle of natural creation! Larian designers and artists worked so hard on creating gorgeous bodies of humanoid characters, so I do not see any point in hiding such a beauty in modest undergarments.

Also I am sorry if you saw signs of sexism in my suggestion, but the reason why I did not mention design of male underclothes in the game is that I am totally satisfied with it! ;-)

Last edited by Chromax; 19/02/22 06:03 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I prefer some more underwear options but for other issues, but then again, I also want more clothing options at start and not just underwear. At some point this may become more of an issue for me but it involves inventory weight, min/maxing point buy stats, remaking my personal favorite characters i have played, and unarmored defense. Right now we dont have portable holes or bags of holding that have set weights regardless of what are in them, and we have a majority of companions that took strength as their dump stat. I had a barbarian character in an old table top game i loved that I prioritized constitution then dexterity then strength and he always managed to survive pretty much wearing nothing but a cloak even after he got polymorphed into a woman. With a lack of die rolled stats, Im stuck with the option of a 15 strength on my dwarf or min maxing my strength up at the sacrifice of all the mental stats to keep my con and dex at their highest score.

That being said my option is either keep laezel as a pack mule at the sacrifice of party balance, ditch/sell anything that isnt lightweight or higher value, or map port over and over to pick up everything and draw out the adventure over tons of extra trips to merchants to sell things, or stay encumbered and just give up on being able to stay at a faster pace. So if ditching clothes to save 2 pounds is an option, yes im ditching them, going in Celt style with a well balanced party party, just give her more believable barbarian underwear or other clothing options that dont involve me swapping over mage robes. Also, might as work on Shadowhearts undies as well since putting her in Lazel's gith armor makes it look like shes wearing metal chaps or something inspired by Prince at the MTV VMAs (or just fix it to where her butt doesnt stick out of the armor whenever she crouches into a battle stance)

CMK Offline
I'd like to point out that the only class that SHOULD be running around with no armor on is the Barbarian since they have bonus for not wearing armor (though I was wondering does thier starting garment and/or wizards robes count as armor? they aren't labeled as armor... in which case I had my Barbarian running around in her skivvies for no damn reason... ah well) So, what does it really matter what their undergarments look like?

But since it there really this is what a woman's undergarments in medieval times looked like
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Maybe Larian should go with that...

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
In general, DnD has always had that clothing isnt considered armor, at some points things like light armor normally made of regular metal that would be considered light armor, would be considered unarmored for things such as spell casting if it was made of a supernatural light metal like mithril.

But I wouldnt say you were running around in your undies for no reason, clothes weight 1.8 pounds, and thats a lot of coins or jewelry.

Op is horny 🤭🤭🤭

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
veteran
veteran
It's interesting to see that people on both ends of the spectrum of reasons care about this;

- People who are focused on the mechanics and who think about sale value, and carry weight, give those things as the reasons - they don't want to lug around anything that doesn't serve a purpose, and in the game, clothing doesn't unless it's enchanted. For them, they're going to be seeing their characters in their underwear if they're unarmoured characters, so they want them to look visually satisfying, or to have options for that reason.

- At the other end, you have folks who are mostly focused on character roleplaying, and immersion in the world and in the character that they're dropping in to; they want to have undergarments that they feel make sense for their character to wear, or the ability to choose an option that suites them, on purely character aesthetic grounds.

And then there are folks all along this spectrum, somewhere in between, who feel both reasons to varying degrees in minor or major ways.

(Of course, there are also those who want to their characters to look sexy in their underthings for eye-candy reasons, too, and there's nothing wrong with that either)

It's an interesting observation, I think ^.^ Regardless of what direction you come at the desire from, more and better customisation options would not be a bad thing here - and giving us some variations is the first step in a right-ish direction, from what they were before. Now keep going, and give us more complete customisation, please.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Niara
It's interesting to see that people on both ends of the spectrum of reasons care about this;

- People who are focused on the mechanics and who think about sale value, and carry weight, give those things as the reasons - they don't want to lug around anything that doesn't serve a purpose, and in the game, clothing doesn't unless it's enchanted. For them, they're going to be seeing their characters in their underwear if they're unarmoured characters, so they want them to look visually satisfying, or to have options for that reason.

- At the other end, you have folks who are mostly focused on character roleplaying, and immersion in the world and in the character that they're dropping in to; they want to have undergarments that they feel make sense for their character to wear, or the ability to choose an option that suites them, on purely character aesthetic grounds.

And then there are folks all along this spectrum, somewhere in between, who feel both reasons to varying degrees in minor or major ways.

(Of course, there are also those who want to their characters to look sexy in their underthings for eye-candy reasons, too, and there's nothing wrong with that either)

It's an interesting observation, I think ^.^ Regardless of what direction you come at the desire from, more and better customisation options would not be a bad thing here - and giving us some variations is the first step in a right-ish direction, from what they were before. Now keep going, and give us more complete customisation, please.

I mean thats what you expect from DnD its a fantasy setting and everyones fantasy is different. But its also the differences between dedicated roleplayers and fight loving power gamers and those in between. Im one of those that dont like some of the issues in early access on weight and set weak companions but I also hate the underwear and dont feel a barbarian would be wearing undies to be eye candy.

Maybe what the game is missing is starting gold and an equipment store at character generation or a clothing/underwear selection option.

L
addict
addict
L
(Of course, there are also those who want to their characters to look sexy in their underthings for eye-candy reasons, too, and there's nothing wrong with that either).

I’m firmly in this camp, thank you for acknowledging me. Although there really isn’t an opportunity in the game to take advantage of it (maybe some romance scenes? I’ve only watched a couple). Hopefully there are more opportunities later in the game… hot pools, bathhouses etc. Then it would make sense to care what your delicates look like.

CMK Offline

It's an interesting observation, I think ^.^ Regardless of what direction you come at the desire from, more and better customization options would not be a bad thing here - and giving us some variations is the first step in a right-ish direction, from what they were before. Now keep going, and give us more complete customization, please.

You forgot my camp... people who think making undergarments special based on race, class or allowing customization of the undergarments based on player taste is unimportant and they could all just be wearing classic Medieval undergarments as you rarely see the undergarments any way. However that being said I think Larian has done a fine job with them and should put resources in to more important things both game play related (adding Paladin, monk and bard as well as Halforc and gnome) and cosmetic (where are my GD scarring options?)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by CMK
I'd like to point out that the only class that SHOULD be running around with no armor on is the Barbarian since they have bonus for not wearing armor (though I was wondering does thier starting garment and/or wizards robes count as armor? they aren't labeled as armor... in which case I had my Barbarian running around in her skivvies for no damn reason... ah well) So, what does it really matter what their undergarments look like?

But since it there really this is what a woman's undergarments in medieval times looked like
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Maybe Larian should go with that...

I would really like to see the sources for that being medieval underwear.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
"I would really like to see the sources for that being medieval underwear."

Look up Lengberg castle underwear, it was an interesting discovery.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CMK
You forgot my camp... people who think making undergarments special based on race, class or allowing customization of the undergarments based on player taste is unimportant

No, I was simply referring to the people who do think that customisation here matters, and would be a positive thing, and pointing out that they exist all over the spectrum of players, and for a variety of different reasons and angles, rather than being a single isolated group. If you don't think that it's important or worthwhile, then you were not included in my statement to being with.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
I want to see Sune's Secret opened in Balder's Gate!

Forgive me, this has the alluring fragrance of a mod:

"Become an underwear salesman".

No?

I can really see some shop mods happening though...absolutely!

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Apparently, I'm doing something wrong, because it never even occurred to me to check to see if my Half-Elven Ranger was wearing lingerie. grin

Honestly, I'd be happy with being able to change some of the armour colours myself. smile

Although...I wouldn't mind being able to set certain armour pieces as a 'default' appearance. I just do NOT like the look of the +1 studded leather armour.

Just my $0.02. grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard