Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 29 1 2 27 28 29
veteran
veteran
They could have created a custom range for every weapons that suits the map design... (and eventually keep the "proportion" of DnD).
The same range for every weapons is just ridiculous.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/03/22 08:45 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Range change is definitely one example of homebrew that makes sense for cRPG.

I don't have an issue, really, with what they did, but I do agree some sort of range difference provides value to the weapon.

Even if they did:

SHORT Bow 80
lONG bOW 150

CROSSBOW LIGHT 80
CROSSBOW HEAVY 100

That would be better.

Last edited by GM4Him; 14/03/22 10:30 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Range change is definitely one example of homebrew that makes sense for cRPG.

I don't have an issue, really, with what they did, but I do agree some sort of range difference provides value to the weapon.

Even if they did:

SHORT Bow 80
lONG bOW 150

CROSSBOW LIGHT 80
CROSSBOW HEAVY 100

That would be better.

This is an improvment to me. If this would still push longbows to being able to hit targets from offscreen I'm ok with that because:

1) Not all enemies should be using longbows, in fact not many at all – unless you upset a bunch of elves
2) Larian's twisty maps make it easy to break line of sight
3) Creatures who are ambushing you would wait until you're in close range so they don't have disadvantage, and their other units with lesser range are able to engage
4) It would make for some epic retreats, and likewise would mean your archer could foil enemy retreat attempts (if there ever was such a thing)
5) You could have some fun sniping, if that's how you want to play

veteran
veteran
It also avoids the need to worry about Disadvantage at long range.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
They could have created a custom range for every weapons that suits the map design... (and eventually keep the "proportion" of DnD).
The same range for every weapons is just ridiculous.

This certainly changes the mechanics of all ranged characters (especially magic users), and pretty much all party dynamics.

I adjusted my strategy, after much disgust and bewilderment.

If they find a way to fix this I will be pleased.

If not, I have adapted.

I like how you think though..."Proportion" if not authenticity.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I have pretty much always used spells as written in 5E, but now that I'm back after a long absence I've rediscovered many of the 'liberties' that Larian took, and they are making me increasingly frustrated (I avoid using them, but the enemey AI sure doesn't).

Take acid: any effect that creates acid - flask, spell etc - reduces your AC2 by 2...given how critical each point of AC is in 5E, this is pretty unreasonbale, esp for a low level item/ability. It is completely a home-brew rule. As is the creating of acid/effect patches for spells like chromatic orb - there is no AoE for these in 5E - this hugely increases the spell's power and versatility. It is designed to affect 1 target only: adding an AoE /persistent effect is the equivalent of a higher level spell. Also, creating patches means that you can hit allies now, with a spell that is designed to effect one target only.

I know some like these 'fun' additions, but for the love of all that is holy/unholy can we please have a core 5E setting?

This kind of stuff has already made BG3 drop in my esteem - it is gimmicky and dimisses years of experience and tunnng by the D&D developers/community.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by booboo
I have pretty much always used spells as written in 5E, but now that I'm back after a long absence I've rediscovered many of the 'liberties' that Larian took, and they are making me increasingly frustrated (I avoid using them, but the enemey AI sure doesn't).

Take acid: any effect that creates acid - flask, spell etc - reduces your AC2 by 2...given how critical each point of AC is in 5E, this is pretty unreasonbale, esp for a low level item/ability. It is completely a home-brew rule. As is the creating of acid/effect patches for spells like chromatic orb - there is no AoE for these in 5E - this hugely increases the spell's power and versatility. It is designed to affect 1 target only: adding an AoE /persistent effect is the equivalent of a higher level spell. Also, creating patches means that you can hit allies now, with a spell that is designed to effect one target only.

I know some like these 'fun' additions, but for the love of all that is holy/unholy can we please have a core 5E setting?

This kind of stuff has already made BG3 drop in my esteem - it is gimmicky and dimisses years of experience and tunnng by the D&D developers/community.

Amen. And it throws off my gameplay because I expect certain effects, being used to 5e rules, and when a spell or item acts differently, it messes up my strategies.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by booboo
Take acid: any effect that creates acid - flask, spell etc - reduces your AC2 by 2...given how critical each point of AC is in 5E, this is pretty unreasonbale, esp for a low level item/ability.
This is also yet another indirect buff to attack roll spells (and weapon attacks) over Saving Throw spells.

G
addict
addict
G
Bardic Inspiration seems capped at 3 regardless of CHA modifier until you reach L5 and you get another one. I wish Larian would just make it equal to your CHA modifier, so you are rewarded for having 18 CHA as a Bard.

B
stranger
stranger
B
They also said they've scrapped the requirements for Respeccing characters. Pretty interesting

O
stranger
stranger
O
Not sure if this has been discussed but character level cap for BG3 is 12? Does that mean we won't see the full potential of say a level 20 Wizard in the game?

Originally Posted by overeasyeggs
Not sure if this has been discussed but character level cap for BG3 is 12? Does that mean we won't see the full potential of say a level 20 Wizard in the game?

As a D&D DM I can tell you right now, that balancing a campaign at higher lvls is near impossible.

BG3 is a huge game, for it to go to lvl 20, they would have to double the content.

And balancing a video game with d&d rules at lvl 12 ish + would be a nightmare. I read a recet interview with Sven Vincke, where one of the questions was on this very topic. And he has the same opinion, d&d gets real wacky at near god like lvls, and a balancing nightmare. Its real fun as a player though in tabletop I grant you smile.

Last edited by Odieman; 21/07/23 03:33 AM.

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

addict
addict
The fact that we maybe encountering demi gods, shooting for lv 20 couldn't hurt.
The dead three as I understand it are not full Gods anymore however I believe I heard they are Demi Gods
Then Shar maybe involved,

I believe we saw Queen Vlaakith CLVII, in a video that is a epic encounter.

Old time dnd player here as well, if back in the day Neverwinter nights 1 and 2 could do it, I know Larian can.

Im sure they want to keep some things under wraps and I believe they could be in a holding position waiting to see how the game sells and the review of the full game.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Balancing a higher level dnd campaign is not hard. AT ALL. Been playing and dm for nearly 40 years. L0L So, don't tell me things I know to be false.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
Balancing a higher level dnd campaign is not hard. AT ALL. Been playing and dm for nearly 40 years. L0L So, don't tell me things I know to be false.
Do you use the official 5e encounter builder to balance your high-level 5e campaign, entering in *only* your party's level? Or do you balance encounters based more on your past DM'ing experience/intuition and, importantly, customized your specific party that you've likely been DMing for many sessions?

As a video game, BG3 would need to use set encounters that don't take into account party composition & tactical-know-how. Also, Larian doesn't necessarily have 40 years of DM'ing experience to fall back on, especially because they've modified the rules so much.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Balancing combats is the easiest part of a level 20 campaign, especially if you want to do what Larian is doing and create a reactive campaign that tries to honor all options players have. Doing it at the table from session to session is far easier as you can adapt as DM and also you don't need to develop anything to even have the possibility to use something and instead just use the rules. If the first 12 levels where about 600 abilities and spells, I would assume the remaining 8 levels would probably add 200-300 more and probably with far wider reaching abilities than a 'heal wounds' or 'fireball' or a basic 'attack'.

Page 29 of 29 1 2 27 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard