Print Thread
#811455 12/03/22 02:53 PM
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Since we have the "send to camp" feature, perhaps the characters at camp could place the books and parchments in one crate, the food in a food barrel (linked to the campfire), the craftable items in another crate, clothing and armor, weapons, ect.

"Idle hands are the Devil's workshop"...I'm concerned that that if my party does not stay busy during our absence, that they may get into some real trouble.
On that note, perhaps they can craft potions, make arrows, craft scrolls, while they are at it.

These containers could also be linked during bartering. I will have my "man" Asatarion deliver it to you...cause "clearly we travel in different circles".

veteran
veteran
+1

L
addict
addict
L
Yes! Crafting is perfect use of downtime. Then it actually makes sense to collect more members for your camp, even if you don’t plan on taking them on missions but still have to feed them. Characters proficient in Arcana could make scrolls, those in Nature could make potions etc. Unless they actually brought in proper tool proficiencies.

Last edited by LukasPrism; 12/03/22 10:50 PM.
veteran
veteran

Last edited by GM4Him; 12/03/22 11:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Van'tal
"Idle hands are the Devil's workshop"...I'm concerned that that if my party does not stay busy during our absence, that they may get into some real trouble.
On that note, perhaps they can craft potions, make arrows, craft scrolls, while they are at it.
That, I think would be a more interesting way of implementing crafting, assuming of course we will have spare companions left past act1.

veteran
veteran
+1

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
CMK Offline
The only problem with crafting per say is that then Larian needs to address "With what are you crafting?" Scrolls of course are easy enough Larian already has useless items inkwells and quills laying around as you explore buildings in the open world... so adding pieces of blank parchment shouldn't be a big deal. However, currently the only herbs you can find and pick are those of the cooking variety, not so much on the potion/poison making variety... not to say those couldn't be added in to the game...

The issue comes in 4 parts IMHO

1) They would have program in reagents (the stuff you use to make stuff), because right useless objects are just that USELESS.

2) Second it would entail picking up a lot of stuff and weighing you down... I suppose you could send that stuff back to camp, but they would have to expand the size of the traveler's chest that everything goes in to

3) they would have to program a whole entire crafting system that they hadn't planned for (this includes how you discover how to make shit)... that takes time... honestly I'd rather see them skip the crafting system and complete the damn game. (they can always this feature later)

4) Crafting systems can become needlessly complicated and take over the game some what and get in the way of enjoyment of the story if implemented poorly

I will say this Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous did an okay job of having crafting system, such that when you made camp you could asign a party member to cook a meal (in PWR food gives you a buff rather than being required to take a long rest) and one party member to make a potion or scroll so long as you had a kit and the reagents to make them.

That said I think Baldur's Gate 3 would have to approach it differently as the camping system is entirely different in BG3:

In Pathfinder you literally set up camp in the spot on the map you were located on and time of day didn't matter (Pathfinder had a day an night cycle) and a full rest would just advance you 8hrs forward and viola rest and crafted items.
In BG3 I'd think what you'd have to do is pick up the reagents (and probably send stacks at a time back to camp to keep from getting weighed down) and when you go to camp assign those not traveling with you to make the items and then each item would take X amount of camp cycles to complete depending on complexity/ level of the item. Easy items like a basic HP potion, poison or lvl 1 spell scroll might only take until the next camp cycle others might take two or three.

That said I'd be all for an auto-sort feature...

TLDR: Crafting while a neat addition to a CRPG that can add flavor to the game isn't necessary to game play and can detract from the story, and in the case of BG3 would tack on extra time to make the game thus delaying its release even longer. That said I'd be all for an auto-sort feature...

Last edited by CMK; 13/03/22 09:57 AM.
veteran
veteran
About crafting... Why? Why have it at all?

The only answer that even remotely makes sense? They'd have to make acquiring items a WHOLE lot harder than current so that making stuff would be necessary just to have the things you need.

Example: Let's say you will be able to craft camping supply packs. In current state, 100% unnecessary. I can send to camp all food items, and when I need to long rest I can just go to camp, pull out what I need, and rest. Also, every character starts with a camping supply pack, and food is EVERYWHERE - so much so that by the time you get to the grove you have 300+ camping supplies.

So why would you ever need to craft camping supply packs? It's unnecessary, so why bother?

The same goes for most items. This means that in order for Larian to make crafting even remotely needed, they'd have to pretty much revamp the entire game, removing SO many items in so many places.

So, I agree. I'd rather have them revamp the game in other ways, like party of 6, day/night, more 5e rules and stats, etc.

Then again, I'd rather they got rid of all the useless junk in the game anyway, so we wouldn't need an auto-sort or crafting useless junk. Cut the clutter. Simplify. That's what I'm hoping for.

veteran
veteran
Bcs they can ... bcs they want to ... bcs they allready promised ... and last but not least, bcs people wants it. :P

veteran
veteran
I wish they'd do polls about various things so we could REALLY see what people want. You don't know what people want and neither do I. You're just guessing. You very well might be right, but you don't really know.

From the feedback I see on various sites, people hate all the clutter in the inventory, but it seems like Larian ignores it bcs they can and want to, not necessarily bcs people want what they are doing.

But whatever. Doesn't matter. We can still come out here and give our feedback and hope, and whether people want it or not, they'll probably still do what they want.

Last edited by GM4Him; 13/03/22 04:55 PM.
veteran
veteran
Sure i know what people wants ... they told me, right here on this forum.
What i actualy dont know is how many others wants the same. wink :P

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 13/03/22 05:07 PM.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Sure i know what people wants ... they told me, right here on this forum.
What i actualy dont know is how many others wants the same. wink :P

An odd but relevant question. Only odd because that would be a developer question (teases...Are you a Larian Lurker? or just pragmatic perhaps)

In general people want a good experience...

easing repetitive tasks in this case.

Being able to find things in case you realize that irrelevant item was indeed NOT irrelevant.

Taking a moment at camp to read through the books and notes...if you want to get the most out of the game and figure things out on your own or plan.

Organizing crafting is bonus.

This would benefit all players greatly.

veteran
veteran
I dont understand the question nor the following comentary. :-/

I just claimed that there are people (plural intended) who DO want crafting system.
I dont see any relation to that tho. frown

veteran
veteran
I don't mind a crafting system. I just don't want a crafting system that's worthless. I don't want a bunch of junk items in the game that I have to manage endlessly just so I can craft a suit of armor I can buy at the merchant easily.

And part of the point of this thread is that if you are going to have all this useless junk, then let's have an auto sort so that at the least the game sorts everything for me so that I don't have to. Then give me the ability to sell all of a particular type so that I don't have to sell one thing at a time, selling countless junk items that I'm never going to use because the crafting system is virtually pointless.

I like the crafting system as it is currently in the game. I like finding the head of a spear and then the shaft and then piecing it together to forge a single item. That's cool. I like it because I'm forging magic items that have special abilities and purpose.

And I think that's what most people are saying here. Most people on this thread that I've read anyway are saying that they want crafting with purpose like we have currently. We don't want crafting nothing stupid items that were just going to sell for practically nothing gold. And if all the forks and spoons and knives and weeds we pick are just going to give us the ability to craft stupid mundane items, then just cut them from the game.

L
addict
addict
L
Well, as in tabletop – it shouldn't be super easy to find the exact scroll or potion you're looking for. It's often the case that you'd need to spend a bit of downtime hunting for it, or just craft it yourself. That's the kind of crafting I'm interested in. I don't want to find thousands of scrolls of every possible spell, just give me the common ones and I'll craft any unusual ones I want myself depending on my play strategy.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Well, as in tabletop – it shouldn't be super easy to find the exact scroll or potion you're looking for. It's often the case that you'd need to spend a bit of downtime hunting for it, or just craft it yourself. That's the kind of crafting I'm interested in. I don't want to find thousands of scrolls of every possible spell, just give me the common ones and I'll craft any unusual ones I want myself depending on my play strategy.

I'd go for that also. That makes sense and provides value to crafting.

Potions and scrolls I get. That makes sense for crafting. It's all the spoons and knives and forks that don't make sense. What are you going to use them for? Are you going to fashion weapons and armor out of them that are all mundane and something you find everywhere? That's more of what I'm talking about.

But, again, if you're going to include all that stuff, like in other games, give me the ability to just sell all junk. That way I don't have to constantly manage my items. And give me an auto sort so that I also don't have to hunt around for items in a jumbled inventory.

One thing I will say though is that I do love the new search function. That does make finding things much easier.

Last edited by GM4Him; 14/03/22 10:42 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
I must admit, I was underwhelmed by literally just tossing the bark and weapon into the forge for the small bit of crafting we got. Hopefully they'll expand on that a bit. I wouldn't even mind if it was a kind of skill challenge – with your party chipping in with Athletics, Arcana, Nature or whatever checks to determine the quality of the weapon. Of course tool proficiencies would be better... or handing it off to an actual smith.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
I must admit, I was underwhelmed by literally just tossing the bark and weapon into the forge for the small bit of crafting we got. Hopefully they'll expand on that a bit. I wouldn't even mind if it was a kind of skill challenge – with your party chipping in with Athletics, Arcana, Nature or whatever checks to determine the quality of the weapon. Of course tool proficiencies would be better... or handing it off to an actual smith.

Totally agree. I felt like it was too easy. I feel like crafting in the game is too easy all together. It should at least take a long rest or two while crafting to make something. Or at the very least, if it's really easy, a short rest.

veteran
veteran
For Some reason forum returns me error message when i try to quote so ...
Hope you get it in this form:

I don't mind a crafting system. I just don't want a crafting system that's worthless.

You are exaggerating again ...

Nothing become worthless just bcs you have an alternative that suits your personal prefferences better.

I don't want a bunch of junk items in the game that I have to manage endlessly

Well lucky you, since you never "have to". wink :P
You most likely will anyway tho, but that is different topic.

just so I can craft a suit of armor I can buy at the merchant easily.

This is just matter of perspective ...
I could say awell why would i ever buy any regular gear when i can craft it?

I mean i never buy gear unless its some extra magical item, not even +1 things ... since personaly i rely purely on Loot ... yes the protection from crits on helmet is incredibly strong bonus and would help me a lot ... but i simply refuse to spend my hard earned gold (especialy at game start) to buy something that i will soon loot anyway.

Also there is that other thing where you can just use regular non-magical items as reagent for its +1 version ... so you dont just craft it whole but rather upgrade it.
And sudently you no longer craft junk items to be sold for few coins ... you are crafting reagents for your better items. wink

have an auto sort so that at the least the game sorts everything for me so that I don't have to.

Yeah ... i would also not mind at all if curent sorting button would work every rime i open my inventory instead picking it all the time myself.

Then give me the ability to sell all of a particular type so that I don't have to sell one thing at a time

That also sounds like good idea...
I would also like if the game would remember wich items i marked as wares and marking it automaticaly ...

Like: i mark greatsword ... all greatswords in my inventory and all that i loot in the future will be marked aswell.
I would not mind at all if it would work with all food.

And I think that's what most people are saying here. Most people on this thread that I've read anyway are saying that they want crafting with purpose like we have currently.

Cute ...
The problem is that "most people" in this particular topic is cca 2-10 persons ... certainly not even "most people" from this forum ...
And even if they would its still not most people from entire comunity ...
And even if they would ... even that dont mean that Larian have to listen to them. laugh

So ... what is your point again?

We don't want crafting nothing stupid items that were just going to sell for practically nothing gold.

Well ... then just dont.

And if all the forks and spoons and knives and weeds we pick are just going to give us the ability to craft stupid mundane items, then just cut them from the game.

Why?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 15/03/22 08:23 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard